Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,744 members, 7,955,839 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:42 PM

Prenuptial Agreements - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Prenuptial Agreements (21262 Views)

Poll: Your attitude to prenuptial agreements?

Positive: 50% (54 votes)
Negative: 50% (54 votes)
This poll has ended

Do Prenuptial Agreements Work In Nigeria? / Guys, 'prenuptial Agreement' To Avoid Alimony, Palimony And D Monies? / Prenuptial Agreements Vs Gold Diggers: How Effective? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prenuptial Agreements by spikedcylinder: 2:13am On Nov 08, 2010
Afi naughty teddy na. cheesy grin grin grin
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by dayokanu(m): 2:25am On Nov 08, 2010
See as dem turn prenup talks on its head.

SPikey its a normal thing that human beings would try to use the available laws to their advantage.

A girl knows she just have to start small trouble, call cops and if she gets a good lawyer she would own the house i built with my money. Now ask me what would stop her from using that option?
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by spikedcylinder: 2:34am On Nov 08, 2010
dayokanu:

See as dem turn prenup talks on its head.

SPikey its a normal thing that human beings would try to use the available laws to their advantage.

A girl knows she just have to start small trouble, call cops and if she gets a good lawyer she would own the house i built with my money. Now ask me what would stop her from using that option?

Then that relationship should never have been in the first place.
In my opinion, it is better to be single forever than marry for the wrongest reasons. That's why I don't blame old men like you and saga for wanting to swear off marriage. Things like these are more than enough to make one paranoid for life.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by dayokanu(m): 3:35am On Nov 08, 2010
You know say as dem smart for dem house na so we sef smart for our house.

When we have laws that seek to rationalise and compensate women for cooking for you and having sex with you.

Who would compensate the man for mowing the lawn, fixing the damaged car etc. For the sex, does the woman pay for the 0rgasms too?
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by dayokanu(m): 3:39am On Nov 08, 2010
I know a Naija man who got married when he divorced his wife They awarded her the house he had in NY and gave her custody of the child and pays Child support

The man had to come to TX to start life afresh. The son they had together, He is allowed to see him once a month.

Imagine that
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Blazay(m): 5:26am On Nov 08, 2010
I really do not understand why Africans should be talking about prenuptial agreements when both the man and the woman in the marriage are always broke. Unless you are a looting politician. Then, oh well. How many Africans in the diaspora have a savings account not to mention a prenuptial agreement?
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 8:33am On Nov 08, 2010
Blazay:

I really do not understand why Africans should be talking about prenuptial agreements when both the man and the woman in the marriage are always broke. Unless you are a looting politician. Then, oh well. How many Africans in the diaspora have a savings account not to mention a prenuptial agreement?

You sit your dumb arse in Nigeria and you assume all Nigerians abroad are in poverty?
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Blazay(m): 11:35am On Nov 08, 2010
Sagamite:

You sit your dumb arse in Nigeria and you assume all Nigerians abroad are in poverty?

Don't you see how you look like a classic hustler in your profile page to prove my point?
Shouldn't you be in school? Instead of taking pictures to scam dim-witted, elderly British ladies on Facebook for a living?
Please, come back home. I will help you relocate adequately.
Refugee.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 12:15pm On Nov 08, 2010
Blazay:

Don't you see how you look like a classic hustler in your profile page to prove my point?
Shouldn't you be in school? Instead of taking pictures to scam dim-witted, elderly British ladies on Facebook?
Please, come back home. I will help you relocate adequately.
Refugee.

You are retarded!

Which schools failed you to the point you come up with this kind of logical deducement?

You exemplify the kind of retards the failed Nigerian educational system churns out.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by armyofone(m): 3:43pm On Nov 08, 2010
grin grin grin grin

lol soooooooooo hard

Blazay:

dont mind them grin so funny grin
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by dayokanu(m): 4:44pm On Nov 08, 2010
^^ Hauwa,

Are we broke? We are not broke o. Me and you are living in Luxury

SemperFi
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 6:52pm On Nov 08, 2010
dayokanu:

^^ Hauwa,

Are we broke? We are not broke o. Me and you are living in Luxury

SemperFi

Is that Hauwa? shocked
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Nobody: 10:44pm On Nov 08, 2010
dayokanu:

I know a Naija man who got married when he divorced his wife They awarded her the house he had in NY and gave her custody of the child and pays Child support

The man had to come to TX to start life afresh. The son they had together, He is allowed to see him once a month.

Imagine that

God bless the West!!! grin grin grin grin tongue tongue tongue
For every insignificant naija man that has been dealt with in the West over divorce proceedings there are uncountable cases of naija women thrown out of the house with her ghana must go for stupid cases like she doesn't have a male child or the husband probably found a 'sweeter sweet sixteen' in Nigeria, to counter all your pitiful attempts to sympathize with a divorced naija man's plight.
So let's all see this as an equation that has been finally balanced. Hahahaha.

You want me to believe that that dude is innocent or butter won't melt in his mouth? We know sabi how wicked and arrogant naija men can be if they want to? undecided
Abeg go and tell this to a non-nigerian maybe he/she will give you the sympathy you want. cool cool tongue tongue
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 10:52pm On Nov 08, 2010
stillwater:

For every insignificant naija man that has been dealt with in the West over divorce proceedings there are uncountable cases of naija women thrown out of the house with her ghana must go for silly cases like she doesn't have a male child or the husband probably found a 'sweeter sweet sixteen' in Nigeria, to counter all your pitiful attempts to sympathize with a divorced naija man's plight.

Where did you go to school to do your own equations?  tongue

So it is balanced in your equation if the son, of a Mrs A (divorced from Mr A) and was thrown out with her Ghana-must-go, is now harassed under the law for the benefit of the daughter of Mr B and Mrs B2 (who was married at the age of 16 after she, Mrs B2, cheated with him and got him to divorce former Mrs B1)?  smiley

[Strokes his head like a Genius]

tongue grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Nobody: 11:06pm On Nov 08, 2010
Sagamite:

Where did you go to school to do your own equations?  tongue

So it is balanced in your equation if the son, of a Mrs A (divorced from Mr A) and was thrown out with her Ghana-must-go, is now harassed under the law for the benefit of the daughter of Mr B and Mrs B2 (who was married at the age of 16 after Mrs B2 cheated with him and got him to divorce former Mrs B1)?  smiley

[Strokes his head like a Genius]

tongue grin grin grin grin grin

No be me you go confuse. Olodo rabata cheesy cheesy
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Skidoc(m): 11:07pm On Nov 08, 2010
For marriages done abroad, I can understand. But for Naija marriages, abeg make we hear word. Which court would the wife go to claim half of the husband's property in Nigeria? Are you kidding me? Such laws are just not enforceable in Nigeria. Maybe even the whole of Africa. Women usually leave or are kicked out with only their clothes, shoes, etc (that is if they let you carry anything sef) So if you live in Naija abeg shut up and stop trying to play Americana for us here.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by NubianQ(f): 11:19pm On Nov 08, 2010
Pre-nups are good! it saves alot of hassle when a relationship breaks down, if i had alot of money i will get a pre-nup, simple.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by dayokanu(m): 11:21pm On Nov 08, 2010
stillwater:

For every insignificant naija man that has been dealt with in the West over divorce proceedings there are uncountable cases of naija women thrown out of the house with her ghana must go for silly cases like she doesn't have a male child or the husband probably found a 'sweeter sweet sixteen' in Nigeria, to counter all your pitiful attempts to sympathize with a divorced naija man's plight.

You want me to believe that that dude is innocent or butter won't melt in his mouth? We know sabi how wicked and arrogant naija men can be if they want to? undecided
Abeg go and tell this to a non-nigerian maybe he/she will give you the sympathy you want. cool cool tongue tongue

Is that the same way you plan to treat me?

NubianQ:

Pre-nups are good! it saves alot of hassle when a relationship breaks down, if i had alot of money i will get a pre-nup, simple.

Good girl. Dont wait till you have a lot of money. You might suddenly strike gold while married and the dude would come for half,

If you are anywhere in Texas, Lets sign the papers right away.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by NubianQ(f): 11:26pm On Nov 08, 2010
dayokanu:

Good girl. Dont wait till you have a lot of money. You might suddenly strike gold while married and the dude would come for half,

If you are anywhere in Texas, Lets sign the papers right away.

well well, thats true, well , hmm i wish there was something called Mid-nuptual agreements incase i get rich lol, well in cases like that i will should stash alot of money in an account that cant be traced.

Prenups are quite tricky, because you are damned if you do and damned if you dont, thats hard though, i still do not think its fair for someone to take half of another persons hard earned money. yes it takes two to be in a relationship but if two people are reasonable they shld agree on some settlement before going to court.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 11:41pm On Nov 08, 2010
NubianQ:

Prenups are quite tricky,  because you are damned if you do and damned if you dont,  thats hard though,

I would rather be damned if I do.

NubianQ:

i still do not think its fair for someone to take half of another persons hard earned money. yes it takes two to be in a relationship but if two people are reasonable they shld agree on some settlement before going to court.

Most women are irrational in relationships.

Even more than these most will be [more] irrational in divorces, which itself are mostly messy due to anger/revenge or misinformation to one party that their contribution is worth more than it actually is.

So the odds are quite bad.

Better safe than sorry! Especially if you are the one with the highest probability of facing the risk.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Ndipe(m): 12:05am On Nov 09, 2010
Sagamite:

Even more than these most will be [more] irrational in divorces, which itself are mostly messy due to anger/revenge or misinformation to one party that their contribution is worth more than it actually is.

Better safe than sorry! Especially if you are the one with the highest probability of facing the risk.

As well as men. If you notice in Nigeria and other parts of Africa, when a couple divorce, usually, the woman leaves singlehandedly, irrespective of her contributions to the household. Look at the house in the first place, no matter if the woman was a 'co-builder' of the family dwelling place, the house is still regarded as the man's domain. So, dont ascribe irrationality to most women.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 12:09am On Nov 09, 2010
Ndipe:

As well as men. If you notice in Nigeria and other parts of Africa, when a couple divorce, usually, the woman leaves singlehandedly, irrespective of her contributions to the household. Look at the house in the first place, no matter if the woman was a 'co-builder' of the family dwelling place, the house is still regarded as the man's domain. So, dont ascribe irrationality to most women.

Maybe I did not make myself clear enough.

I meant emotionally irrational.

Clearly different from irrational judgement.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by NubianQ(f): 12:10am On Nov 09, 2010
Sagamite:

Sagamite, to be honest the main reason why SOME women are irrational is because of the men. do you know that in some high profile divorces the women ask for alot of money because when the men leave them, they start flaunting one young girl in their faces. it brings out alot of rage! and believe me the women will fight because of that slap on the face. i think some men should relax sometimes too,
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 12:20am On Nov 09, 2010
NubianQ:

Sagamite,  to be honest the main reason why SOME women are irrational is because of the men. do you know that in some high profile divorces the women ask for alot of money because when the men leave them, they start flaunting one young girl in their faces. it brings out alot of rage! and believe me the women will fight because of that slap on the face. i think some men should relax sometimes too,

No doubt, I know.

I can understand their anger but I don't think governments should give them the platform to take revenge over the end of relationships.

Many young women leave relationships frequently, most already have lined up a replacement before they do. I know if a young woman loses interest in a relationship, they have little qualms in ending it as they want to get it right before they start losing their bargaining power. I even had a female friend recently tell me she cheats on guys to ensure they breakup with her. I thought it was cruel but what can the guys do? Beat her up? No. They have to take it on the chin.

To me, if you want to end a relationship that is cool, it might be painful for the guy but I don't believe anyone should be forced to remain in a relationship. That applies to both sexes.

It might hurt her to see he has moved on but he has rights and should not be punished for exercising it.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by NubianQ(f): 12:23am On Nov 09, 2010
@Sagamite,

frankly speaking some men deserve to be milked grin grin grin grin grin, as for women who cheat,, hmmm no comment!

Prenups are not bad but i doubt we can do it in naija, in naija there is already a prenup without signing cuz once some men leave a woman that is ithe end of the womans butter cry cry
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by dayokanu(m): 12:48am On Nov 09, 2010
^^ Nubian,

If it were to be in naija, then no need for pre-nup but when you are in the western countries, You have to protect what you worked for.

I believe its a way to protect yourself against sluggard and lazy arse ppl who want to grab where they did not sow.

Imagine after you have worked hard for your fortune a guy now wants to get a divorce and wants to be compensated for the times he has helped mow the garden and the sex he has had with you during the period.

Women argue they need to get compensated for the cooking they have done and the sex SMH.

if I dont sign a pre-nup then I would make sure all (80%) of my money is in Naija where no law can touch it. If I buy a house, It would be in my father's name(who lives in naija)
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by NubianQ(f): 1:01am On Nov 09, 2010
@DayoKanu,

I am going to call ur lady and tell her ur plans lol

you are right though, pre-nups in the west are not a bad idea, when i see what some people lose in divorces its soo not good.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 1:35am On Nov 09, 2010
NubianQ:

@Sagamite,

frankly speaking some men deserve to be milked grin grin grin grin grin,  as for women who cheat,, hmmm no comment!

No doubt, some people might deserve some retribution from their behaviour in a relationship but it is not the place for the law to give a platform for the retribution. (1) Especially a biased platform that favours one side and (2) Especially when the laws cannot regulate the magnitude of retribution deserved and applies a blanket one that also affects partners that deserve no retribution.

NubianQ:

Prenups are not bad but i doubt we can do it in naija,  in naija there is already a prenup without signing cuz once some men leave a woman that is ithe end of the womans butter cry cry

Nigeria is unfortunately the reverse of the West and it needs to change.

But something tells me, there might be extant laws that ensures women that know their rights and can afford/access a lawyer in Naija might be able to get something from relationships in courts.
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by armyofone(m): 7:30pm On Nov 09, 2010
thank God for the West. Women have come a long way wink nuptial agreement or not, who cares. better watch yourself  grin grin
we will take everything with us as we leave  grin even sweep the house clean  cheesy
gone are those days when baba drove mama eze, risikatu, amina from the house (you see her crying with her old riggety box on her head  grin grin
hahahaha, oh oh oh hahahaha.

phew!! good raddiance to bad rubbish

pay the child support, give her the house, be a man and stop crying blue murder  undecided grin
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 7:42pm On Nov 09, 2010
armyofone:

thank God for the West.

You got the key sentence there.

It will remain in the West. cheesy
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by dayokanu(m): 7:46pm On Nov 09, 2010
Thank God for common sense that is given to new generation Naija men
Re: Prenuptial Agreements by Sagamite(m): 1:20am On Nov 23, 2010
Guys make sure you get a "clean-break" settlement

[size=18pt]£56m Lotto winner must pay the ex who dumped him for another man 10 years ago[/size]

A £56MILLION lottery winner has been forced to give a share to the ex-wife who dumped him TEN YEARS AGO. Divorced Nigel Page, 44, was sued by Wendy after his EuroMillions jackpot this year, even though she left him for another man in 2000. Pals say well-heeled Wendy, 43, - the mother of his 13-year-old daughter - wanted £8million. She got £2million out of court.

Yesterday the divorcee - who has since split with her lover - clutched a bottle of Champagne as she left her luxury waterfront home in Gloucestershire with a new fella she has found. Nigel - who remarried after his win last February - is believed to be the first lottery winning hubby in the UK to be successfully sued for a slice of their winnings. His monster jackpot was the country's third biggest.

A family insider said: "He is really gutted." Pals told how despite being left heartbroken when his wife walked out, taking their then-three-year-old daughter Ella, he generously offered her £1million after his numbers came up.

Wendy, who is human resources director at an investment firm, went to see lawyers in a battle for up to four times as much.

The source said: "Nigel feels very hurt.
"The last seven months have been horrendous for him. Up to this point everyone got on pretty well. But what Wendy has done has ruined everything. Nigel has always provided for their daughter. Even when he was out of work he made sure she was all right. And right from the start Wendy was going to get a big gift."

The £2million lump sum she agreed to accept is entirely hers to spend as she wishes - after a bid by Nigel to pay it into a trust for Ella was vetoed. Wendy is also believed to have obtained a huge increase in maintenance payments for their daughter - up from £150 a month to £2,000. She is said to have rushed to consult lawyers after discovering Nigel planned to give other relatives money.The insider said: "As soon as she found out she went straight to her solicitor.

The couple are said to have split after Nigel, who ran a property maintenance business, found a text message from a colleague of his wife's on her phone.That was on Christmas Eve 2000. A week later - on New Year's Eve - the couple had a huge row over it. Wendy quit their house, taking their daughter. He remained in their home following the collapse of their 11-year marriage and eventually agreed to buy out her share.

The source said: "They have tried to keep things amicable over the years for the sake of the child. But this legal battle has taken its toll. Wendy's relationship with the man she left Nigel for lasted for two years.

Apart from the money Nigel paid her to buy out her share of the house - and regular maintenance payments for her daughter - he didn't pay her anything else." Doting Nigel is said to have been determined to keep seeing Ella. Friends said that as well as making his payments towards her upkeep he often helped out with the school run."

Following his £56million win, he and girlfriend Justine, 42, celebrated by tying the knot. The couple treat the jackpot as joint winnings. They have moved into a £4million six-bed mansion in the Cotswolds - where Liz Hurley is a neighbour. Their old £235,000 home in Cirencester, Gloucs, was given to their cleaner.

Recalling Nigel's first marriage, another friend said: "Nigel didn't want it to end. He was heartbroken for years until he met Justine. But he still provided for Ella, taking her on holidays and being as good a dad as possible." The chum went on: "Nigel was prepared to give Wendy £1million. She didn't think it was enough. It's put a real damper on everything at a time when he and Justine should be enjoying life."

Nigel is thought to have agreed to the settlement rather than face the prospect of a larger payout to his ex-wife if the case had gone to court. Last night experts said it was likely the couple failed to include a legally-binding "clean break" arrangement at the time of their divorce. Such a clause would have left Wendy without a leg to stand on as she pursued him over his jackpot. But the omission would have been a godsend to her lawyers when it came to arguing on her behalf. It would have left them free to put together a convincing case that she was entitled to a substantial share of her ex-husband's new fortune.

Frank Arndt, whose firm Stowe Family Law specialises in divorce and pre-nup agreements, said: "A clean break means you cannot go back to the other side and ask for more maintenance or capital.

The out-of-court settlement is understood to include a gagging order - preventing either party from talking about it. Last night Nigel refused to comment on his payout.
Wendy, who is employed by St James' Place Wealth Management, was similarly tightlipped. Asked about the settlement she said: "I'm not interested, thank you."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3239427/EuroMillions-father-Nigel-Page-pays-portion-of-winnings-to-ex-wife-Wendy.html

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Wife Is Not Romantic. What Should I Do? / Can Your Marriage Survive Japa? / Work Wahala In My Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.