Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,185 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 - TV/Movies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 (17956 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Genevieve Nnaji Is Featured In 'Half Of A Yellow Sun' Trailer / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 10:52am On Jul 26, 2013
omar22:

I bro I have so many Gambian friends, even as classmates and Colleagues at work! They sound more like Hausa but not even close to a typical Nigerian accent
I'm not talking of the indegenous Gambian accent just like i'm not talking about the indegenous Nigerian accent like Igbo or Yoruba accent. I'm referring to the Pan-Gambian and Pan-Nigerian accents. If that's not the case then you prove me right by even saying their accent sounds like Hausa accent since Hausa accent is also a NIgerian accent grin
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by omar22(m): 11:05am On Jul 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
We're not saying they should go back to location because an accent didn't sound Nigerian but what's wrong with critiquing a movie. Don't they do it in Hollywood? It doesn't take away anything if we criticize the movie from now till next year.

Look am not saying you cant criticise the movie, I do it as well for example I got into a heated debate that Brad Pitt shouldnt have played the role of Achilles in Troy, I said Orlando Bloom or Viggo Mortensen would be my choice not Pitt, I didnt go as far as "ah he has to be Greek or Trojan" No. The movie industry doesnt work that way, look upon all of Megan Fox's beauty and aura she was dropped from the 3 series of Transformer because they want something better!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 11:11am On Jul 26, 2013
Even the video you posted supports my argument.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by omar22(m): 11:15am On Jul 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm not talking of the indegenous Gambian accent just like i'm not talking about the indegenous Nigerian accent like Igbo or Yoruba accent. I'm referring to the Pan-Gambian and Pan-Nigerian accents. If that's not the case then you prove me right by even saying their accent sounds like Hausa accent since Hausa accent is also a NIgerian accent grin

Yeah but Senegalis, Niger, Sudan and some part of Ghana sound similar to Hausa, but even in the Nigerian Movie industry the Hausa accent hardly exist in any Nollywood blockbusta movies, In Hollywood 95% of their movies they use the English native accent, not the Italian, German, South (Texas), Afro-American or Spanish native accent. Unless the story requires them to speak in that dialect

Genevieve playing the role of a Gambian mother speaking in an English native Nigerian accent! Oh common
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by omar22(m): 11:17am On Jul 26, 2013
Afam4eva: Even the video you posted supports my argument.

The Video sounds more like an Hausa movie than a typical Nollywood movie
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jul 26, 2013
Wao! Nice! I'm definitely watching!

#OkBye grin grin grin
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
There's a pan-Nigerian accent and that's the accent you hear home grown Nigerian who don't have any tribal accent speak.

MY friend, mechie onu gi osiso, so because they made a movie about us, we should highlight what we feel was below par? Is critiquing not part of movie making again?
Inna, continue critiquing since you don become roger Ebert, no b only pan African,Nah pot- african
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 6:20pm On Jul 26, 2013
ThiefOfHearts:
True. Genevieve is in a higher league. Unlike you I dont believe Thandie is better cos she's half white. Brainwashed coon.

you can't be serious - genevieve in a higher league in comparison to thandie newton? thandie that got a lead role in mission impossible 2 with tom cruise?

what's genevieve's greatest achievement as an actor? mirror boy or featuring in d'banj's music video? you must be on a wind-up!

the comparison is not even there - compare genevieve to yvonne nelson or nadia buari. thandie is out of genevieve's league.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 6:23pm On Jul 26, 2013
coogar:

you can't be serious - genevieve in a higher league in comparison to thandie newton? thandie that got a lead role in mission impossible 2 with tom cruise?

what's genevieve's greatest achievement as an actor? mirror boy or featuring in d'banj's music video? you must be on a wind-up!

the comparison is not even there - compare genevieve to yvonne nelson or nadia buari. thandie is out of genevieve's league.
Genevieve is bigger than Thandie Newton in terms of popularity even though Genevieve's popularity is limited to Africa and Africans in the diaspora. A lot of people except Hollywood buffs don't know Thandie Newton. She's not a Halle Berry for crying out loud. She's just one of those Actors that have had a few lead roles but their names are not household.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 6:31pm On Jul 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
Genevieve is bigger than Thandie Newton in terms of popularity even though Genevieve's popularity is limited to Africa and Africans in the diaspora. A lot of people except Hollywood buffs don't know Thandie Newton. She's not a Halle Berry for crying out loud. She's just one of those Actors that have had a few lead roles but their names are not household.

you are a village boy. genevieve is bigger than who? you local nigerians make me laugh. search for genevieve nnaji and thandie newton and tell me the number of hits they have on google. maybe your eyes would clear up by then!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 6:41pm On Jul 26, 2013
coogar:

you are a village boy. genevieve is bigger than who? you local nigerians make me laugh. search for genevieve nnaji and thandie newton and tell me the number of hits they have on google. maybe your eyes would clear up by then!
If we're referring to American and western country then it's Thandie newton. But my point is that Genevieve has more name where she's known than Thandie Newton.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by babyboy3(m): 6:43pm On Jul 26, 2013
Afam4eva:

Am Laughing in Swahili! Tell me today is not 1st of April?

Thandie is more popular than Genevieve ON EVERY CONTINENT!!!! Common men the whole of the South African region region Both Thandie and Theron as ICONS, The Cricket world cup in Zimbabwe, come and see her popularity. Am sorry but just because someone churns out movies on a daily basis wouldnt make them popular. Crash, Mission Impossible, 2012, beloved, for coloured women, run baby run etc these are BLOCK BUSTER movies..
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 6:46pm On Jul 26, 2013
baby-boy:

Am Laughing in Swahili! Tell me today is not 1st of April?

Thandie is more popular than Genevieve ON EVERY CONTINENT!!!! Common men the whole of the South African region region Both Thandie and Theron as ICONS, The Cricket world cup in Zimbabwe, come and see her popularity. Am sorry but just because someone churns out movies on a daily basis would make them popular. Crash, Mission Impossible, 2012, beloved, for coloured women, run baby run etc these are BLOCK BUSTER movies..
How many people know Thandie Newton in Africa? The only thing that you can tell me is that Thandie Newton has more global appeal though not that popular. She's not Angelina Jolie for crying out loud.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by babyboy3(m): 6:52pm On Jul 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
How many people know Thandie Newton in Africa? The only thing that you can tell me is that Thandie Newton has more global appeal though not that popular. She's not Angelina Jolie for crying out loud.

Please tell me when Nollywood got a grip of Africa? 3yrs 4yrs or 6yrs am talk when they started export Nollywood movies out to the rest of Africa?

Yes she is not Anegina Jolie, where as Genevieve is Gabrielle Union
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 7:00pm On Jul 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
If we're referring to American and western country then it's Thandie newton. But my point is that Genevieve has more name where she's known than Thandie Newton.

thandie trashes genevieve on every continent - go and watch 2012 before you start spewing fückery. she's been at it for aeons. you think all those yeye home videos are reckoned with outside nigeria?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 7:02pm On Jul 26, 2013
coogar:

thandie trashes genevieve on every continent - go and watch 2012 before you start spewing fückery. she's been at it for aeons. you think all those yeye home videos are reckoned with outside nigeria?
I have watched 2012 where she starred opposite Chiwetel Ejiofor. Why did that even come up? Did i say she hasn't acted any lead roles?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 7:48pm On Jul 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
I have watched 2012 where she starred opposite Chiwetel Ejiofor. Why did that even come up? Did i say she hasn't acted any lead roles?

so which role has genevieve copped in her career that can stand next to 2012 or MI-2?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by babyboy3(m): 8:01pm On Jul 26, 2013
coogar:

so which role has genevieve copped in her career that can stand next to 2012 or MI-2?

Sharon Stone of Abuja!!! hideous home movie
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by babyboy3(m): 8:02pm On Jul 26, 2013
Afam4eva:

Beloved!!!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by somegirl1: 8:04pm On Jul 26, 2013
coogar:

I don't agree with those comparing Genevieve to Thandie, however their comparison is based on popularity not quality of movies starred in.

Thought it would help if I pointed that out.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 8:13pm On Jul 26, 2013
coogar:

Is Genevieve a Hollywood actor? Do you just argue for the heck of it? Read my previous comments.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 8:46pm On Jul 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
Is Genevieve a Hollywood actor? Do you just argue for the heck of it? Read my previous comments.

if she's not a hollywood actor, why then are you sounding her trumpet to star in a movie that is targeting the hollywood audience?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 8:48pm On Jul 26, 2013
coogar:

if she's not a hollywood actor, why then are you sounding her trumpet to star in a movie that is targeting the hollywood audience?
So, one must be a Hollywood Actor to be relevant? I hope you're aware that Hollywood is an American movie industry. India has their and in Nigeria we have ours.

I never said she should have been starred. I only came in when the argument became about who was more popular.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 8:51pm On Jul 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
So, one must be a Hollywood Actor to be relevant? I hope you're aware that Hollywood is an American movie industry. India has their and in Nigeria we have ours.

half of a yellow sun movie targets hollywood audience. chimamanda would have given the story to zeb ejiro if she wanted it to be a nollywood movie starring genevieve and nkiru sylvanus. in the global stage, genevieve cannot compete with thandie newton - that is not to say genevieve is not relevant but thandie would fetch more dollars for the producers than genevieve!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by babyboy3(m): 9:00pm On Jul 26, 2013
coogar:

half of a yellow sun movie targets hollywood audience. chimamanda would have given the story to zeb ejiro if she wanted it to be a nollywood movie starting genevieve and nkiru sylvanus. in the global stage, genevieve cannot compete with thandie newton - that is not to say genevieve is not relevant but thandie would fetch more dollars for the producers than genevieve!

And she is a far better actress!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by SEFAGO(m): 12:30am On Jul 27, 2013
My babe talking about how much she loved acting in the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgiGzJQOHwU
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by igbo2011(m): 1:32am On Jul 27, 2013
Why are all African movies in Hollywood about war? Same ol same ol.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by thoth: 2:30am On Jul 27, 2013
igbo2011: Why are all African movies in Hollywood about war? Same ol same ol.

why is it only you that saw this ?.. in all the acclaim that Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart gathered they have never tried to invest and act it out on Hollywood.
Now why would they choose Half of a Yellow Sun ? Because out of all reasons now is the time to inflame the hate among Nigerians, the Psychological influence of such pictures,the dramatic highlight with its insidious message in an undertone is no more important anytime than now, Nigeria will divide 2015, their predictions and they are preparing peoples mind for it.
It is just plain Psychological Operations.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by rufychuks: 8:19am On Jul 27, 2013
thoth:

why is it only you that saw this ?.. in all the acclaim that Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart gathered they have never tried to invest and act it out on Hollywood.
Now why would they choose Half of a Yellow Sun ? Because out of all reasons now is the time to inflame the hate among Nigerians, the Psychological influence of such pictures,the dramatic highlight with its insidious message in an undertone is no more important anytime than now, Nigeria will divide 2015, their predictions and they are preparing peoples mind for it.
You are right about this. However, I blame us for having left the war as if it never happened. In the US, UK, Rwanda and most other countries where they had a Civil war, a panel is set up to talk about it and to promote healing. It is taught, correctly, in schools and everybody knows why it happened and work hard to ensure peace and prevent such from recurring. We just behave as if the war never occured in Nigeria; kids are fed lies by their parents, events that accelerated the emergence of arms still occur and the unity we need to hold this country is almost non-existent.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by rufychuks: 8:19am On Jul 27, 2013
thoth:

You are right about this. However, I blame us for having left the war as if it never happened. In the US, UK, Rwanda and most other countries where they had a Civil war, a panel is set up to talk about it and to promote healing. It is taught, correctly, in schools and everybody knows why it happened and work hard to ensure peace and prevent such from recurring. We just behave as if the war never occured in Nigeria; kids are fed lies by their parents, events that accelerated the emergence of arms still occur and the unity we need to hold this country is almost non-existent.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 10:50am On Jul 27, 2013
some-girl:

I don't agree with those comparing Genevieve to Thandie, however their comparison is based on popularity not quality of movies starred in.

Thought it would help if I pointed that out.

even in popularity - thandie newton is more famous. this is why you have google hits.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 10:56am On Jul 27, 2013
igbo2011: Why are all African movies in Hollywood about war? Same ol same ol.
We should also ask why a lot of African writers keep writing about wars. These Hollywood people choose what is available. Someone made mention of them not doing a movie on Achebe's "things fall apart" without realizing that "Things fall apart" is a very cultural story and Hollywood will make a mess of it. Infact the criticism on the thread about Thandie's accent in "Half of a Yellow Sun" will be little compared to the criticisms a Hollywoood "Things fall apart" will attrcat especially from Nigerians and Igbos in particular. TFA is a NIgerian story and only Nigerians will do justice to it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Emmanuel Evicted From The Big Brother House / Bolt And Maria Evicted From Big Brother Africa / Voltron Defender Of The Universe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.