Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,527 members, 7,812,641 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:42 PM

Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 (17937 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Genevieve Nnaji Is Featured In 'Half Of A Yellow Sun' Trailer / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 8:06pm On Jul 24, 2013
shymexx:
I know - but she had other commitments. However, is there any other naija actress on Thandie's level in Hollywood? Bear in mind that people sponsored the movie and they're looking to make profits as well - hence why they went for the big names.

i made mention of this earlier. the nigerians complaining will not even go to the cinemas and watch neither will they buy the original copies in DVD.

Sophie isn't Tutsi but Rwandans never complained about her role in Hotel Rwanda.

tayo eleshin is another good british-nigerian actress & oyinka yussuf isn't far behind....
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by somegirl1: 8:06pm On Jul 24, 2013
manny4life:

Haba, you never give up.. Btw, Robin Hood was a good movie.

That it's an Igbo story doesn't mean she wanted the cast to be Igbo, all she was saying like you reiterated robin hood and Russell crowe, the both of them could have at least tried to portray a Nigerian accent.

As for "African Accent", I don't know about you, but African have their own accent. Ghanians speak totally different from Nigerians, and Sierra Leone speak differently from Cameroonians. Even me sef can identify who a Ghanian and Cameroonian is from their accent.

I believe her argument was simply that they just tried to speak anything African as supposed to something Nigerian.

My dear some people enjoy having the last word even if it means being illogical.

coogar:

i never said she wanted them to be igbo but she wanted them to speak the igbo accent as the story was set in igbo.

You still haven't explained how you came to this conclusion.
If that were my argument, I should have a problem with Chinwetalu's, Onyeka Onwenu's, Zack Orji's and Gloria Young's accents which were not Igbo accents.

coogar:
is there a language called "african"? if there's none then how can you have an african accent?

Same way you can have an (i.e one of the several distinct) English or Scottish accents.
Note how Russell Crowe's "Nottinghamshire" accent, one of [b]several [/b]English accents, was criticized.

coogar: if that's what she meant then she did a horrible job getting her message across. she didn't need the "robin hood" example then as it's the wrong analogy.

How about you show by example how to pass my message across in a way that people like yourself would understand.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 8:07pm On Jul 24, 2013
shymexx:

I know - but she had other commitments. However, is there any other naija actress on Thandie's level in Hollywood? Bear in mind that people sponsored the movie and they're looking to make profits as well - hence why they went for the big names.

Sophie isn't Tutsi but Rwandans never complained about her role in Hotel Rwanda.

I liked Sophie in Hotel Rwanda but the bolded is wrong. There's no American movie set in Africa that has been made that people from that country did not complain. The world world thought Don Cheadle and Sophie Okonedo killed it but Rwandans thought otherwise cos they know their accent better than anyone else.

2 Likes

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jul 24, 2013
coogar:
i made mention of this earlier. the nigerians complaining will not even go to the cinemas and watch neither will they buy the original copies in DVD.

tayo eleshin is another good british-nigerian actress & oyinka yussuf isn't far behind....

It's business and the people who put their money down want something back in return. It's not for charity.

Both aren't on Thandie's level - they don't have that celebrity effect yet. What movies have they done? Just a few soaps and probably low budget movies.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 8:13pm On Jul 24, 2013
What about this Nigerian British chick, Caroline Chikezie.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 8:16pm On Jul 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
I liked Sophie in Hotel Rwanda but the bolded is wrong. There's no American movie set in Africa that has been made that people from that country did not complain. The world world thought Don Cheadle and Sophie Okonedo killed it but Rwandans thought otherwise cos they know their accent better than anyone else.

did nigerians complain with tears of the sun? did somalians complain when black hawk down was made? nigerians complain too much.....if imo actors were used, anambra people would complain. if nnewi actors were used, awka people would complain.

hell, if the first daughter in a house won the role, the last born would shout discrimination.

shymexx:
It's business and the people who put their money down want something back in return. It's not for charity.

Both aren't on Thandie's level - they don't have that celebrity effect yet. What movies have they done? Just a few soaps and probably low budget movies.

but john boyega hasn't starred in a james bond movie but he got a very prominent role in this movie.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jul 24, 2013
Afam4eva:

Can you provide the link to buttress your point?

The only one that I know of is the Winnie Mandela movie, with Jennifer Hudson as Winnie. But I haven't heard any complaints about the "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom" starring: Idris Elba and Naomie Harris.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jul 24, 2013
coogar:

did nigerians complain with tears of the sun? did somalians complain when black hawk down was made? nigerians complain too much.....if imo actors were used, anambra people would complain. if nnewi actors were used, awka people would complain.

hell, if the first daughter in a house won the role, the last born would shout discrimination.

Lmao at the bolded! grin

Someone already asked if they shot the movie on Nnewi street, on this thread. grin grin grin grin
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 8:20pm On Jul 24, 2013
coogar:

I complained about "tears of the Sun" and a lot of people that i know did even though the movie wasn't really big in Nigeria even though being about Nigeria. There's no movie that produced on the surface of the earth that will not be critiqued. People will critique movies based on what they know and how they felt those movies should have been done. Of course a movie about Nnewi may be look alright to Enugu people but NNewi people themselves may see a flaw in it because they're Nnewi people and they know Nnewi more than everybody else. That's what it is. At the end of the day, you can't please everyone. The producers of the movie just have to do what they can and leave the rest.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 8:21pm On Jul 24, 2013
shymexx:
Lmao at the bolded! grin

Someone already asked if they shot the movie on Nnewi street, on this thread. grin grin grin grin

i didn't even see that comment when i wrote that - it just goes to show the mentality of an average nigerian - we are a very difficult people to satisfy.

Afam4eva:
I complained about "tears of the Sun" and a lot of people that i know did even though the movie wasn't really big in Nigeria even though being about Nigeria. There's no movie that produced on the surface of the earth that will not be critiqued. People will critique movies based on what they know and how they felt those movies should have been done. Of course a movie about Nnewi may be look alright to Enugu people but NNewi people themselves may see a flaw in it because they're Nnewi people and they know Nnewi more than everybody else. That's what it is. At the end of the day, you can't please everyone. The producers of the movie just have to do what they can and leave the rest.

people generally complain about the message of the movie about the people or the way the producer/director make the audience perceive the people living where the movie is set. accent was the last thing on my mind when watching stories set in africa......
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 8:23pm On Jul 24, 2013
shymexx:

Lmao at the bolded! grin

I think you meant Nsukka street.

Humans beings are very hard to satisfy and it's normal cause nothing can be perfect. It's only when there's perfection that there won't be complaints.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by philfearon(m): 8:23pm On Jul 24, 2013
Chai!! So now,Foreigners are now Acting our own History for us?
God Punish Backwardness!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 24, 2013
coogar:

i didn't even see that comment when i wrote that - it just goes to show the mentality of an average nigerian - we are a very difficult people to satisfy.

Don't be surprised when they start saying some of the people there don't look Nigerian... grin
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jul 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
I think you meant Nsukka street.

Humans beings are very hard to satisfy and it's normal cause nothing can be perfect. It's only when there's perfection that there won't be complaints.

But is perfection possible anywhere on this planet? Our imperfection is what makes you human. If they want perfection, they might as well jump on a spaceship to Nibiru to meet the Nephilims.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Giddyprance(m): 8:27pm On Jul 24, 2013
Gosh!!!
Read the novel and seriously wished i could have a revenge on the bad pple that caused my pple pain...bt its no gud..not even Dim Odumegwu Ojukwu would want a repeat of that experience...cnt wait to grab a copy of this
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by somegirl1: 8:28pm On Jul 24, 2013
Afam4eva:

I did too.
The actors didn't even look Nigerian ya fo kwa iyiri nd'Igbo.

It's true that the ones who complain don't up the figures, however venting on Nairaland or elsewhere won't hurt anyone or any pockets.
It just may cause producers to be a teeny weeny bit more thorough in future.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 8:29pm On Jul 24, 2013
shymexx:
Don't be surprised when they start saying some of the people there don't look Nigerian... grin

thandie looks like an affluent calabar woman. chiwetel can pass for an abia state man. boyega had the peckham swag in the trailer - he's definitely got the aura of davido. who else?? grin

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jul 24, 2013
coogar:

thandie looks like an affluent calabar woman. chiwetel can pass for an abia state man. boyega had the peckham swag in the trailer - he's definitely got the aura of davido. who else?? grin

grin grin
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jul 24, 2013
coogar:

You know John Boyega the young Denzel is from peckham, right? grin

That's Pecknizzy right there reppin' for the mandem! tongue
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by orgasticdance: 8:33pm On Jul 24, 2013
some-girl:

I have a major problem with the accents.
Good actors should learn accents and should be convincing. Non Africans like to believe we all speak the same, sound alike and look alike. Makes life easy for them especially foreign directors of African movies.
These same people would get offended when their accents are faked incorrectly.
Mel Gibson's and Russell Crowe's attempts at Scottish and Nottinghamshire accents respectively were criticized, although theirs were errors that would go unnoticed by those who aren't familiar with the accents.
Thandie and Noni Rose didn't even make any attempt to sound Nigerian. They seemed to have decided that any accent they could manage that sounded remotely African would suffice.

Thank u for saying what i've been struggling to say all the while.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 8:34pm On Jul 24, 2013
shymexx:
You know John Boyega the young Denzel is from peckham, right? grin

That's Pecknizzy right there reppin' for the mandem! tongue

i saw attack the block eons ago - he killed it! peckham produces more talents than any UK postcode. it's the equivalent of ajegunle for that alone. grin cheesy
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jul 24, 2013
coogar:

i saw attack the block eons ago - he killed it! peckham produces more talents than any UK postcode. it's the equivalent of ajegunle for that alone. grin cheesy

These people need to start paying homage to Peckham... Pecknizzy!!!

We're the shining stars of black people in the UK and Africa!! grin
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jul 24, 2013
shymexx:

Tonto Dikeh and Mercy Aigbe are slightly better than Thandie Newton.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 8:44pm On Jul 24, 2013
CFCfan:

i saw what you did there...

shymexx:
These people need to start paying homage to Peckham... Pecknizzy!!!

We're the shining stars of black people in the UK and Africa!! grin

isn't JJC from that end too?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 24, 2013
philfearon: Chai!! So now,Foreigners are now Acting our own History for us?
God Punish Backwardness!
grin grin grin
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jul 24, 2013
CFCfan:

Who are these people?

They aren't even qualified to clean Thandie's nails. undecided undecided
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jul 24, 2013
coogar:

isn't JJC from that end too?

Nah, they're from Lambeth.

Asher D from So Solid Crew is from Peckham, tho.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jul 24, 2013
Hmmmmmm....at the end of the day as long as I dont waste my £6/7, I'm okay grin tongue
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jul 24, 2013
@Coogar

I forgot Chiwetel Ejiofor is from Camberwell as well..

Reppin' the same Southwark council - it's Peckham and Camberwell link up in this movie like we do everyday in real life!! tongue
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by coogar: 8:50pm On Jul 24, 2013
shymexx:
Nah, they're from Lambeth.

Asher D from So Solid Crew is from Peckham, tho.

andy mcnab is from peckham too.....same as ferdinand brothers! peckham is repping seriously...

adaobi123: Hmmmmmm....at the end of the day as long as I dont waste my £6/7, I'm okay grin tongue

read the book first before watching the movie....

shymexx: @Coogar
I forgot Chiwetel Ejiofor is from Camberwell as well..

Reppin' the same Southwark council - it's Peckham and Camberwell link up in this movie like we do everyday in real life!! tongue

hehe - peckham is taking over!!!!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jul 24, 2013
coogar:

read the book first before watching the movie....

I have read the book tongue
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Trailer | Festival 2013 by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jul 24, 2013
@Coogar

Add Chiwetel Ejiofor to the list.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Stephanie Nnadi Bags Double Award As Entertainment Personality, Best Talented Ma / Emmanuel Evicted From The Big Brother House / Voltron Defender Of The Universe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.