Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,856 members, 7,820,980 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:57 AM

If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? (10774 Views)

WELCOME TO AFRICA - 15 Funny Attributes That Suggest That You Might Be African / Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jul 29, 2013
morpheus24:

1.Thats your excuse, as if Asian Americans haven't been here for 100's of years. first generation horse Sh*$T!

Black people were here MUCH longer than Asians.
So I am not ASKING you anything. They dont need to take tests, they KNOW what they are.
Not only do they say they are Asian but some will prefer to say they are Hmong-American (tribe). WE DONT HAVE TRIBES. Therefore we say BLACK.

Use some common sense. This is not rocket science.

2. "black" culture is an extension of a culture that already existed that has strong roots from the so called "mother" country.

Define "black culture".

#. you can hold on to your culture too, cause modern science can now pipoint where it originated from.

Actually it CANNOT.
Africa Ancestry says it on their own site it is IMPOSSIBLE to pin-point one area of ancestry simply because we have been out of Africa so long and have mixed (tribally).
We've been out of Africa as early as the 1500s. Again USE COMMON SENSE.

perhaps they very much are smiley

not my problem.

You really can't see how nonsensical the above sounds.

it actually makes a hell of a lot more sense than what you are saying.

In other words. African derived culture(brought fort by a mesh of West African cultures. and labeled as "black American" is the ethnicity. At the same time the ethnicity is a race and a nationality at the same time.

do i really need to hold your hand and walk you through this?
and who said we are "only" west african? documents from the slave trade/records show some of us came from south EAST africa as well as central africa which FURTHER proves my point that we are too mixed.

Go take a DNA test and find out what your original ethnicity is not your made up one. Your origins did not start from a slave ship.

I've already slayed this argument.
scroll up. and when did I saw my history started on a slave ship? Did I say that?
My history is as ancient as yours the difference is my IDENTITY/ethnicity began in the new world.

YOU are african, I am black american and caribbean and we are both BLACK.
that is where we are similar. simple.

Africa is across the Atlantic Ocean. I have never been there and was not born there.
So I am not African.
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jul 29, 2013
Jayvarley:

I have done quite a bit of research on DNA testing. The DNA fest only tells a person a where a tiny percentage of their DNA comes from. So for instance if your Great-great-great-great Grandfather was Yoruba the Y CHROMOSOME would pass on from father to son unchanged for GENERATIONS. The DNA test would be able to tell you this. However it would not tell you where your Grandmothers on your Fathers side came from. As it is only targeting the Y CHROMSOME that MEN Pass on to their sons.

Also if a white Slave owner back down the line on your fathers side raped an African woman and had a son and that son had sons with only black women and their sons had more sons with only black women. The DNA TEST would still show a EUROPEAN Y CHROMOSOME AS it remains unchanged for generations. Therefore such a person may look 100% black and not be able to trace their Paternal African Origin or tribe.

[size=88pt]THANK YOU!!!![/size]
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by morpheus24: 9:26pm On Jul 29, 2013
Jayvarley:

I have done quite a bit of research on DNA testing. The DNA fest only tells a person a where a tiny percentage of their DNA comes from. So for instance if your Great-great-great-great Grandfather was Yoruba the Y CHROMOSOME would pass on from father to son unchanged for GENERATIONS. The DNA test would be able to tell you this. However it would not tell you where your Grandmothers on your Fathers side came from. As it is only targeting the Y CHROMSOME that MEN Pass on to their sons.

Also if a white Slave owner back down the line on your fathers side raped an African woman and had a son and that son had sons with only black women and their sons had more sons with only black women. The DNA TEST would still show a EUROPEAN Y CHROMOSOME AS it remains unchanged for generations. Therefore such a person may look 100% black and not be able to trace their Paternal African Origin or tribe.

Do your research again on AUTOSOMAL DNA. It is a complete test that tells you how much African ancestry you have, not just your Y-DNA or your MTDNA which only traces direct male or female image.

In other words if you are 88% African derived DNA, 10% Europe and 2% Native American, by virtue of majority you would cluster with West/central AFricans and your phenotypical expressions would cluster along those lines as well.

SHikena!
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by MrsChima(f): 9:51pm On Jul 29, 2013
Lawd!!!
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by Jayvarley(m): 9:53pm On Jul 29, 2013
morpheus24:

Do your research again on AUTOSOMAL DNA. It is a complete test that tells you how much African ancestry you have, not just your Y-DNA or your MTDNA which only traces direct male or female image.

In other words if you are 88% African derived DNA, 10% Europe and 2% Native American, by virtue of majority you would cluster with West/central AFricans and your phenotypical expressions would cluster along those lines as well.

SHikena!
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by Jayvarley(m): 10:01pm On Jul 29, 2013
morpheus24:

SHikena!

I already did. I do not feel AUTOSOMAL DNA test tells me much. I already know I am MOSTLY of Sub Saharan African extraction without the help of DNA Testing. What would impress me is if they could give me a breakdown of the percentages of the African tribes I come from rather than telling me I am 89% Sub Saharan African. What a waste of Money.
And if I am of 11% European extraction how will that help me in the world today? Will it mean I get preferential treatment from whites?
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by MrsChima(f): 10:07pm On Jul 29, 2013
Sis....did you take the. DNA test?
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by morpheus24: 10:07pm On Jul 29, 2013
Jayvarley:

I already did. I do not feel AUTOSOMAL DNA test tells me much. I already know I am MOSTLY of Sub Saharan African extraction without the help of DNA Testing. What would impress me is if they could give me a breakdown of the percentages of the African tribes I come from rather than telling me I am 89% Sub Saharan African. What a waste of Money.
And if I am of 11% European extraction how will that help me in the world today? Will it mean I get preferential treatment from whites?

Sub-saharan Africans share very similar genetic information,therefore it is not so necessary for you to know the exact make up only that it comes from a specific region within the continent. West Africans also mixed up per their local proximity so they aren't as "pure'as you might assume. Y-DNA just gives you the closet male ancestor to give you a good starting point.
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by MrsChima(f): 10:08pm On Jul 29, 2013
Jayvarley:

It didn't help President Obama.

1 Like

Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jul 29, 2013
Aye...I can tell this thread got heated.

Anyways Morphous I understand where both you and Kails is coming from. But theres some Africans that say AA's and other diasporans are not African but American. So...You also have to take it up with them to.

Personally I don't care what I am labeled or what people label me. African and black are just terms. You can mean African geographically or biologically.
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by morpheus24: 10:32pm On Jul 29, 2013
KidStranglehold: Aye...I can tell this thread got heated.

Anyways Morphous I understand where both you and Kails is coming from. But theres some Africans that say AA's and other diasporans are not African but American. So...You also have to take it up with them to.

Personally I don't care what I am labeled or what people label me. African and black are just terms. You can mean African geographically or biologically.

I can accept the term "black' to reference an ethnicity in an American context

I can also accept the term "Black American" to reference an ethnicity within a nationality in relation to say an Igbo-Nigerian. However what I find suspicious in people who try to propagate this agenda is the conspicuous replacement of the this term for "African-American". Its like a Chinese-American or a Korean American running away from the designation "Asian American"

lets just call it what it is. Africa as a continent does not have much to offer "black" people in terms of furthering their struggle nor making a lasting imprint in world affairs and because of this they continue to distance themselves from this struggling continent in the guise of claiming mixed ancestry and all kinds of nonsensical arguements.

If you ask me I think Afro brazilians and Blacks in South America have more claim to that attitude since they are more integrated into their societies in all aspects more so than the "restricted" AA culture in America. At lest they still recognise their African origins more openly instead coming up with some mumbo jumbo designation to compensate for short comings.
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by Jayvarley(m): 10:49pm On Jul 29, 2013
morpheus24:

I can accept the term "black' to reference an ethnicity in an American context

I can also accept the term "Black American" to reference an ethnicity within a nationality in relation to say an Igbo-Nigerian. However what I find suspicious in people who try to propagate this agenda is the conspicuous replacement of the this term for "African-American". Its like a Chinese-American or a Korean American running away from the designation "Asian American"

lets just call it what it is. Africa as a continent does not have much to offer "black" people in terms of furthering their struggle nor making a lasting imprint in world affairs and because of this they continue to distance themselves from this struggling continent in the guise of claiming mixed ancestry and all kinds of nonsensical arguements.

If you ask me I think Afro brazilians and Blacks in South America have more claim to that attitude since they are more integrated into their societies in all aspects more so than the "restricted" AA culture in America. At lest they still recognise their African origins more openly instead coming up with some mumbo jumbo designation to compensate for short comings.

There are so many numerous African Americans and even Caribbean's who embrace their African Heritage. Please do not think we ALL despise our roots. That is simply not true. You still are refusing to understand that WE were TAUGHT to HATE Africa by the slave master. This level of Brainwashing will take time to dissipate, possibly GENERATIONS. This is why Bob Marley said "EMANCIPATE YOURSELVES FROM MENTAL SLAVERY." North American Blacks went through more cruel slavery than in most other places and the evidence is still clearly in their psyche. Your dislike of AA is not productive or helpful to the greater good of BLACK/AFRICAN People.
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by morpheus24: 12:12am On Jul 30, 2013
^^
I do not dislike AA, I simply am projecting the attitudes I see displayed infront of me.

By no means are my statements generalizations of all black people. That would be ridiculous.
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by MrsChima(f): 12:40am On Jul 30, 2013
Kidstranger...you ain't shit. grin
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by Jayvarley(m): 9:38am On Jul 30, 2013
morpheus24:

Sub-saharan Africans share very similar genetic information,therefore it is not so necessary for you to know the exact make up only that it comes from a specific region within the continent. West Africans also mixed up per their local proximity so they aren't as "pure'as you might assume. Y-DNA just gives you the closet male ancestor to give you a good starting point.

A waste of Money in other words. DNA databases are still incomplete and some AA are unable to find a specific match for tribe or region with Y- DNA. More research needs to be done before I would take one of those
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by Nobody: 10:33am On Sep 28, 2013
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by Jayvarley(m): 10:38am On Sep 28, 2013
anylove100:
only nigerians and african people conceive such inferior thoughts.....If White Americans Wish To Return To Europe should they be granted citizenship?)

Not sure what you mean. Can you please elaborate?
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by Nobody: 10:53am On Sep 28, 2013
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by dasparrow: 10:54am On Sep 28, 2013
Jayvarley: Should they be granted Citizenship in African countries? And will they be accepted by the people? Even though they don't speak any African languages?

We don't want hateful Negros on our continent but rather black folks with good intentions towards us. I experienced first hand whilst residing for over 13 years in the USA how black americans treat continental Africans with so much hatred and scorn. I was one of the many Africans who were on the receiving end of this never ending hate from the black american.

I am all too aware that black people who come from countries were they experienced many years of racial oppression tend to be very hateful of themselves and towards fellow blacks who are not from their country. We have enough issues to deal with on our continent. We don't need outsiders coming to complicate things further for us. I personally don't mind well-intentioned black folks from other parts of the world migrating to Africa but not the racist ones like the many I met while residing in the united states. My 2 cents!
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by Nobody: 10:59am On Sep 28, 2013

1 Like

Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by Jayvarley(m): 11:44am On Sep 28, 2013
dasparrow:

We don't want hateful Negros on our continent but rather black folks with good intentions towards us. I experienced first hand whilst residing for over 13 years in the USA how black americans treat continental Africans with so much hatred and scorn. I was one of the many Africans who were on the receiving end of this never ending hate from the black american.

I am all too aware that black people who come from countries were they experienced many years of racial oppression tend to be very hateful of themselves and towards fellow blacks who are not from their country. We have enough issues to deal with on our continent. We don't need outsiders coming to complicate things further for us. I personally don't mind well-intentioned black folks from other parts of the world migrating to Africa but not the racist ones like the many I met while residing in the united states. My 2 cents!

First of all I am sorry that you had a bad experience with blacks form the diaspora. This does not reflect all of us.
However it is very often hard for the two groups to relate to each other. In my opinion is due to the loss of African identity caused by the slave trade. Also there is some bitterness in the hearts of the African Diaspora because they feel betrayed as their fathers were sold to Europeans by other Africans. However there are many African Americans and West Indians who would like to get back to their African roots.

The reason I asked the question is because Africans were taken to the Americas against their will. Also in the 1800's many African Americans were given the option to return to Africa and many did and were taken to Liberia.
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by Jayvarley(m): 11:48am On Sep 28, 2013
anylove100: only black people ask such silly questions,why should black americans move to africa?is will smith or eddie murphy African? is Bill clinton European or American?

I don't understand the point you are trying to make here. The Fathers of African Americans were taken against their to the Americas.
What if some of their descendants want to go back to their Mother land. Is that a problem for you?
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by PAPAAFRICA: 12:34am On Sep 29, 2013
Grow up guys.

1 Like

Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 29, 2013
PAPA AFRICA: Grow up guys.

^^

i dont even know why these threads get created in the first place.

#rubbishbegetsrubbish
Re: If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa? by eziza: 4:59pm On Sep 29, 2013
Jayvarley:

I don't understand the point you are trying to make here. The Fathers of African Americans were taken against their to the Americas.
What if some of their descendants want to go back to their Mother land. Is that a problem for you?

Actually, nobody is stopping you from going. Rally like minded people, pull your resources together and make the move. It is a free world ya know? But coming here to b-tch about it when you can't afford a plane ticket that will fly you across the Atlantic, can be seen as annoying.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Join If You Are Proud To Be Hausa/fulani.. / Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) / History Told Us That Isiala Ngwa People Eat Humans, Is This True?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.