Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,615 members, 7,813,023 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:32 AM

Rise Of The Feminist Wedding - Family (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Rise Of The Feminist Wedding (38793 Views)

10 Behaviors Of An Extreme Nairaland Feminist / I'm An African American Woman That Grew Up In The FEMINIST Way Of Life- Help! / The Truth About The Feminist Revolution 1-8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by 99cent: 4:31am On Jul 28, 2013
coogar:
your claim that the brides did not feel like a cheap commodity

the article does not state this.
and besides, how can they feel like cheap commodity if they have already refused to do things that makes them feel like "cheap commodity"? which is exactly what feminism is all about.

ie if I felt that having my dad walk me down the aisle (which I don't mind and i'm feminist!) made me feel cheap then I wouldn't do it. what's the big deal?
ie if I hated my dad and felt that he wasn't a good father, I wouldn't let him walk me down the aisle. tradition or not.
some women still do it out of tradition. but others won't. I know I wouldn't.

but of course I love my dad so I will definitely let him walk me down the aisle. It's all about CHOICES. and feminism allows women to have choices. many women chose not to vote but because of feminism, they can if they want to cool because of feminism, i can keep my maiden name if i want to and change my mind later if i want to. MY CHOICE.

stop carrying other men's problems on u head. ur not the one marrying these "feminists" now are you? tongue
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by coogar: 4:34am On Jul 28, 2013
ileobatojo:
Abegi! Shame on you!

see what feminism has turned you into? grin cheesy

Before nko? After all, you would be among your own kind.

which is still better than having a woman of your ilk at home.

99cent:
the article does not state this.
and besides, how can they feel like cheap commodity if they have already refused to do things that makes them feel like "cheap commodity"? which is exactly what feminism is all about.

your thought-process must be really slow. these 200 women surveyed are brides-to-be. they are not married yet. obviously, some of them told elki parmar they do not want to be walked by their dads. she must have asked them why not? and they told her the idea of being walked by any man(dad, brother, son, uncle, whichever male) makes them look like a commodity being given away cheaply.
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by 99cent: 4:38am On Jul 28, 2013
coogar:

use your 6th sense......
76% are still with the old tradition. 24% want different modifications that suit their agenda. it's all written there.

and out of that 24%, according to coogar-math, 10% are not wearing white. hahahaha grin
if a woman is not wearing white then according to coogar-logic, she must also be walking without her father grin

u already stated that u will be probably dead by the time ur daughter weds, so according to you, she should't marry because her wedding will be against tradition without ur presence grin LOL over- exaggerated sense of self-importance much?
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 4:38am On Jul 28, 2013
coogar:
which is still better than having a woman of your ilk at home.

Of course it's better for us. Which sensible woman wants to live with such disgusting slimy creatures?

I'm going to bed! Goodnight!! angry angry
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by 99cent: 4:50am On Jul 28, 2013
coogar:

these 200 women surveyed are brides-to-be. they are not married yet. obviously, some of them told elki parmar they do not want to be walked by their dads.

well then u should have used the correct english grammar then. saying that "they felt like cheap commodity" suggests that they already felt that way. which is why I was correcting you. As feminists, they can make decisions not to feel cheapened. Even if it means refusing to be walked down the aisle by an abusive or absent father.

she must have asked them why not? and they told her the idea of being walked by any man(dad, brother, son, uncle, whichever male) makes them look like a commodity being given away cheaply.

making stuff up out of ur azz again aren't we? wink
post the link from the article where u found this. will you?
where did "they told her" this?

and besides, even if what u are saying aren't lies (they are lies but let's say they weren't) why do u have such a huge problem with brides who do not want to be "walked by any man"? she has a right to decide that choice for herself. is is not marrying u and the man she is marrying ain't complaining. so what's d big deal? stop carrying other people's problems on your head.
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by coogar: 4:53am On Jul 28, 2013
ileobatojo:
Of course it's better for us. Which sensible woman wants to live with such disgusting slimy creatures?

the same slithery creature that brainwashed you to bite the forbidden fruit. this coming from you is rich...

I'm going to bed! Goodnight!! angry angry

goodnight, the palace arsonist!

99cent:
and out of that 24%, according to coogar-math, 10% are not wearing white. hahahaha grin
if a woman is not wearing white then according to coogar-logic, she must also be walking without her father grin

don't be more obtuse than you have already done on this thread. according to the article and the 200 brides-to-be surveyed, 24% wanted a modern wedding.

u already stated that u will be probably dead by the time ur daughter weds, so according to you, she should't marry because her wedding will be against tradition without ur presence grin LOL over- exaggerated sense of self-importance much?

another daft logic...
i don't know where you claw your own opinions from. i thought i already educated you that women have been using stand-in dads for aeons when you deludedly stated women with abusive dads are rigidly the ones who don't want anyone to walk them down the aisle......
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by 99cent: 4:55am On Jul 28, 2013
coogar:
according to the article and the 200 brides-to-be surveyed, 24% wanted a modern wedding.

and what about the 10% that "took it further" by choosing not to wear white? hahahahahaa grin
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by 99cent: 5:00am On Jul 28, 2013
future of weddings

Love this!! even the guy's suspenders and shoes are pretty cool.
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by coogar: 5:02am On Jul 28, 2013
99cent:
well then u should have used the correct english grammar then. saying that "they felt like cheap commodity" suggests that they already felt that way. which is why I was correcting you. As feminists, they can make decisions not to feel cheapened. Even if it means refusing to be walked down the aisle by an abusive or absent father.

they "felt" the idea of being walked by a dad cheapens them as some old commodity being given away to another man. that's the correct english! you are too mentally-shallow to correct me how to put words together intelligently!!

making stuff up out of ur azz again aren't we? wink
post the link from the article where u found this. will you?
where did "they told her" this?

she simply regurgitated what the brides told her. elki said "the idea connoted the brides were cheap commodities" regardless of which man was walking them down the aisle. you are blaming it on abusive/absent dads but if your claim was true then they could have easily asked someone else to represent their abusive/absent dad just for the occasion!

and besides, even if what u are saying aren't lies (they are lies but let's say they weren't) why do u have such a huge problem with brides who do not want to be "walked by any man"? she has a right to decide that choice for herself. is is not marrying u and the man she is marrying ain't complaining. so what's d big deal? stop carrying other people's problems on your head.

i don't have a problem with any bride who chose to be walked by a silver back ape or a giraffe......all i am saying is why marry at all if we are going to modify what makes marriage marriage?

you said you might not take your hubby's name cos it's sexist. however, if you keep your surname(father's name), it still makes no difference cos the same sexism applies. even if you are so radical and you chose your mother's maiden name, i am sure that name too must have been her father's name which is still sexism.

so can you now see why i said you and feminists of your ilk are hopelessly deluded?

blimey, i have a flight to catch in 51 mins.....got to go!
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by 99cent: 5:13am On Jul 28, 2013
coogar: all i am saying is why marry at all if we are going to modify what makes marriage marriage?

you are crazy. so because a woman doesn't want to wear white. so therefore she shouldn't marry?
or because she doesn't want to be walked down the aisle by her dad, she shouldn't marry. u r crazy. hahahahaha

besides, a wedding is not a marriage. a wedding is a ceremony and doesn't make a marriage. some couples don't even have weddings. if you want your traditional wedding with virgin and all, go for it. but not everyone wants and agrees with it. they are allowed to have their opinion and choices.

any one making a big deal out of maiden names, weddign gown in 2013 is just probably behind the times because those aren't even big deals anymore! men aren't buying 50 cows to marry anymore either.

now if u are talking about gay marriage, i might understand ur shock because it is still a new idea. but this? abeg come up with something better and stop trolling.

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by luvmijeje(f): 7:28am On Jul 28, 2013
@99cent, sholly and other feminists who believe a woman has a right to choice and a right not to be discriminated upon should please keep the fire burning. Kudos to you all.
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Afam4eva(m): 7:49am On Jul 28, 2013
shymexx: But I have to say this: Afam4eva is the biggest wimp and sissy ever!! This nyggah evaporated like steam after he was brutally castrated by an unrepentant femi-nazi - hysterical shyte!!! grin grin
O boy wetin i do you? Why you dey call my name?
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by ccollins(m): 9:16am On Jul 28, 2013
feminism is bullcrap... grin grin grin grin even some men in nigeria still beat their wives not to talk more of feminist rights.women are not even equal to men talk more of being better undecided undecidedthe rihanna and chris brown saga showed that even though he was warned
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by BashToks: 12:22pm On Jul 28, 2013
collynzo2: I read this book, written by a feminist, describing how women should have equal rights, equal pay and how they are just as good as men in all aspects of life. I absolutely loved it.
I'm a big fan of fiction.

Lolz.. ffools plenty for hia I swear.. Nice one tho
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by CNN80: 12:53pm On Jul 28, 2013
coogar:

like i said, don't preach to me, we are not in the church.

where were you when your mates were doing set theory in school? you were probably a perpetual truant. this is simple mathematics.

100% - class size

76% - traditional marriage(no compromise)

10% - no white wedding, no dad walking the aisle
14% - white wedding, no dad walking the aisle

remember, the article said almost a quarter....which means it's a bit less than 25%, not 25%. how difficult can it be? if you cannot make your own deductions from simple data, please kill yourself.

First of all, please don't blast me. I no send this argument. But as a lover and user of mathematics, your application of set theory in this case is kind of flawed. Just saying. The first rule is solving these problems is, never assume what was not stated.
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by LoveAmaka88(f): 1:02pm On Jul 28, 2013
Why wed at all if you are a feminist? Marriages are patriarchal institutions perpetuated and sanctioned by male dominated governmental and religious institutions. A true feminist wouldn't want her legal identity to be compromised by attaching herself to a man. I want my damn ring, dress, friends, family, and institution that serves as the foundation of a stable and Godly home. I don't blame them for wanting something different, but don't try to label it as feminist when you are still subscribing to the institution in the first place.

4 Likes

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by BashToks: 1:04pm On Jul 28, 2013
Shollypopz:
Okay, you need to stop. I might fall sick from laughing too much grin grin

Y'all need to calm yer tits and balls.. This is senseless. Funny that you guys can get along with urselves in real life. This is ugly. Stopeeeeeet!!
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by BashToks: 1:09pm On Jul 28, 2013
hornipipe: idiiiot, whenever you post all I see is shiiit, failed attempt at sounding smart, I called you an IIdiiot but you denied, watched and washed are the same to you??
You don't know when to use watched or washed in a sentence?? Gosh this is getting too embarrassing.

Hey.. 5 likes. Your fanbase skyrocketed.lol
I know y'all know and can feel it in yer bones that y'all are better than this.
Really tho.. u needs to chills.
E fi ra yin le!! Thats an order!
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by BashToks: 1:11pm On Jul 28, 2013
Oildichotomy^:
OLE--You're so foolish that your father auctioned you for a plate of embarrassment- spiced with periwinkles. Gay mutherfucka

Baba una don old na. Whats all this?
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by CNN80: 1:22pm On Jul 28, 2013
LoveAmaka88: Why wed at all if you are a feminist? Marriages are patriarchal institutions perpetuated and sanctioned by male dominated governmental and religious institutions. A true feminist wouldn't want her legal identity to be compromised by attaching herself to a man. I want my damn ring, dress, friends, family, and institution that serves as the foundation of a stable and Godly home. I don't blame them for wanting something different, but don't try to label it as feminist when you are still subscribing to the institution in the first place.

Marriage is a covenant instituted by God. What is with all these weird definitions of feminism? According to Wikipedia "Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women. This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist advocates or supports the rights and equality of women." Wanting a different type of wedding is not the end of the world. I'm married and let me say
1) I bought all the rings. It was easier for me to take care of that.
2) My father didn't walk me down the aisle. I don't think they do that in the Catholic Church.
3) I wore white just because my husband pointed out that I had earned the right to do so.
4) I got rid of that part of the reception where the cake maker describes the cake and people observing us cutting the cake and making comments on what they saw. I never understood the point.
5) I had a reception breakfast. The world didn't end.

It was our wedding ceremony. We were allowed to make it whatever we wanted it to be within reason. An elaborate ceremony is not the foundation of a stable and Godly home. And I really don't know why not wearing white should be considered feminist.

2 Likes

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Oildichotomy(m): 1:31pm On Jul 28, 2013
BashToks:

Baba una don old na. Whats all this?
No now bro- it's not what you think. Just fooling around==
#smiles#
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by OmoAlata1(f): 1:36pm On Jul 28, 2013
^^^^^This is really why people enter marriage with false hope. They spend so much time on the wedding itself (the planning, money, food, clothes, decorate, etc). But they forget about the marriage itself. Maybe if people focus as much on the marriage as they do on ceremony, we won't have so many miserable married people.
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jul 28, 2013
Excellent CNN. Lol @ weird definitions of feminism. But that's the problem. People have all kinds of ridiculous and downright stu*pid definitions and applications as evidenced by this thread. Unable to differentiate the fringe, the frivolous from the moderate. Fighting while completely ignorant of what they're fighting against. Unable to apply critical thinking. Very disturbing I tell you. Thank God I have known tons of smart and reasonable people in my life o. If nairaland were my first exposure to people, I would have lost all hope for this country with the abysmal levels on intelligence on display here!
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by MrsChima(f): 2:20pm On Jul 28, 2013
ccollins: feminism is bullcrap... grin grin grin grin even some men in nigeria still beat their wives not to talk more of feminist rights.women are not even equal to men talk more of being better undecided undecidedthe rihanna and chris brown saga showed that even though he was warned

You are proud of the fact childish boys in Nigeria can get away with beating their wives. Why not boast about beating a man twice your size?

That's something to boast about.

As for Chris Brown....he was arrested, charged, and convicted. Can many battered Nigerian women do that in Nigeria? Of course not.
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jul 28, 2013
Whether marxist feminism or radical feminism, none exemplifies the non-definition of feminism that went on this thread by anti-feminists. It's laughable grin grin
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by coogar: 2:26pm On Jul 28, 2013
CNN80:
Marriage is a covenant instituted by God. What is with all these weird definitions of feminism? According to Wikipedia "Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women. This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist advocates or supports the rights and equality of women."

i would normally not call you out on this but someone as educated as you should know there's a stark contrast between the first wave of feminism and the "modern" feminism.

the definition you copied and pasted above was the principle of the pioneers of feminism. may God bless them, they fought for a cause and they won the war as far back as the early 60s. they wanted equality and they got what they wanted.

the 21st century feminists do not want equality - they want to reduce men to mere doormats. i am assuming you are well-versed on the subject matter unlike the army of lunatics who just join a bandwagon of what they clearly cannot comprehend. even feminists like erin pizzey and camille paglia are cringing and disturbed at the principles the modern feminism is teaching.

modern feminism is poison and it threatens to further worsen the relationship that exists between men and women. those who want equality don't really want modern feminism and those who want modern feminism don't really want equality. i hope we can have a proper debate on the subject matter devoid of insults and negative energy if you are up for it. i have a tonne of information to share!

1 Like

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by MrsChima(f): 2:28pm On Jul 28, 2013
LoveAmaka88: Why wed at all if you are a feminist? Marriages are patriarchal institutions perpetuated and sanctioned by male dominated governmental and religious institutions. A true feminist wouldn't want her legal identity to be compromised by attaching herself to a man. I want my damn ring, dress, friends, family, and institution that serves as the foundation of a stable and Godly home. I don't blame them for wanting something different, but don't try to label it as feminist when you are still subscribing to the institution in the first place.

Are you confusing lesbianism with feminism? There are feminists who are MALES so how does that apply to women who wants nothing to do with men---lesbians?

Brush up on the definition of feminism and lesbianism. Two entirely different idealogies.
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jul 28, 2013
I am married and still use my maiden name...beside the fact that it gives me sense of security ( close to my Dad) , it also get things done faster instead of queuing and waiting grin.

And

I am not a Feminist!
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by CNN80: 3:04pm On Jul 28, 2013
coogar:

i would normally not call you out on this but someone as educated as you should know there's a stark contrast between the first wave of feminism and the "modern" feminism.

the definition you copied and pasted above was the principle of the pioneers of feminism. may God bless them, they fought for a cause and they won the war as far back as the early 60s. they wanted equality and they got what they wanted.

the 21st century feminists do not want equality - they want to reduce men to mere doormats. i am assuming you are well-versed on the subject matter unlike the army of lunatics who just join a bandwagon of what they clearly cannot comprehend. even feminists like erin pizzey and camille paglia are cringing and disturbed at the principles the modern feminism is teaching.

modern feminism is poison and it threatens to further worsen the relationship that exists between men and women. those who want equality don't really want modern feminism and those who want modern feminism don't really want equality. i hope we can have a proper debate on the subject matter devoid of insults and negative energy if you are up for it. i have a tonne of information to share!

Maybe there is a difference now. But that does not negate the positive contribution that feminism has brought to this world. The issue that I have with your posts is that once you see any post that means a woman is standing up for herself, you enter attack mode. You never consider the positive aspects of the situation, you just look at the negative. And then you end up exchanging insults with anyone who disagrees with you. That makes it hard for me to want to see the points you are trying to put across. It's very discouraging.
For example, women retaining their maiden names. It's a choice. It doesn't negate the fact you are married. What is the big deal? As long as the couple are in agreement, why, oh why, are you tearing your hair out on their behalf? Live and let live.
I can't imagine being a housewife, not in a million years. But there are woman that find fulfilment in being stay at home moms. As long as they made the choice for themselves, who am I to denigrate that choice just because it's not one I can make?

3 Likes

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 28, 2013
jidegirl12: I am married and still use my maiden name...beside the fact that it gives me sense of security ( close to my Dad) , it also get things done faster instead of queuing and waiting grin.

And

I am not a Feminist!

I am married and still use my maiden name. But, I plan to change it to my hubby's name.

And

I am a Feminist!

2 Likes

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by coogar: 3:20pm On Jul 28, 2013
CNN80:
Maybe there is a difference now. But that does not negate the positive contribution that feminism has brought to this world. The issue that I have with your posts is that once you see any post that means a woman is standing up for herself, you enter attack mode. You never consider the positive aspects of the situation, you just look at the negative. And then you end up exchanging insults with anyone who disagrees with you. That makes it hard for me to want to see the points you are trying to put across. It's very discouraging.
For example, women retaining their maiden names. It's a choice. It doesn't negate the fact you are married. What is the big deal? As long as the couple are in agreement, why, oh why, are you tearing your hair out on their behalf? Live and let live.
I can't imagine being a housewife, not in a million years. But there are woman that find fulfilment in being stay at home moms. As long as they made the choice for themselves, who am I to denigrate that choice just because it's not one I can make?

that positive contribution stopped in the 60s - there's hardly any man on the planet that would not praise the feminist cause that fought for equality - but what we have now is no longer fighting for equality, it's fighting for inequality.

the definition of feminism is in 2 parts....

•the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes

•organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests

i am very comfortable with the definition of the first part which you defined earlier but there's a bit of contradiction in the second. it's easy to argue women's rights and interest are not going to necessarily coincide with men's rights and interests thus claiming equality is quite absurd!

this serious contradiction at the core of feminism has its own ambiguity because fighting for the rights of one side does not necessarily entail fighting for things that bring equality to both sides. if a husband and a wife have one car, modern feminists will not argue for the 2 to drive the car at the same time. the fight is for the interest of women which then means the fight would be for the woman to drive and the husband to find an alternative.

is that equality?

1 Like

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by luvmijeje(f): 3:20pm On Jul 28, 2013
CNN80:

On point! *nodding my head*

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply)

My Mother Threatens To Commit Suicide If I Don't Leave The House / My Wife Told Me The Only Reason She's Still With Me Is Because Of Our 2 Kids / I Want To Die, 85-year-old Woman Rejected By Children Cries Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.