Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,610 members, 7,813,002 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:20 AM

Rise Of The Feminist Wedding - Family (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Rise Of The Feminist Wedding (38792 Views)

10 Behaviors Of An Extreme Nairaland Feminist / I'm An African American Woman That Grew Up In The FEMINIST Way Of Life- Help! / The Truth About The Feminist Revolution 1-8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by MrsChima(f): 3:20pm On Jul 28, 2013
CNN80:

Marriage is a covenant instituted by God. What is with all these weird definitions of feminism? According to Wikipedia "Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women. This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist advocates or supports the rights and equality of women." Wanting a different type of wedding is not the end of the world. I'm married and let me say
1) I bought all the rings. It was easier for me to take care of that.
2) My father didn't walk me down the aisle. I don't think they do that in the Catholic Church.
3) I wore white just because my husband pointed out that I had earned the right to do so.
4) I got rid of that part of the reception where the cake maker describes the cake and people observing us cutting the cake and making comments on what they saw. I never understood the point.
5) I had a reception breakfast. The world didn't end.

It was our wedding ceremony. We were allowed to make it whatever we wanted it to be within reason. An elaborate ceremony is not the foundation of a stable and Godly home. And I really don't know why not wearing white should be considered feminist.

You are right...God created marriage and ordained marriage between a man and a woman. The sole purpose of mariage was to build wholesome families where husbands love and respecr his wives and the wives does the same. Husbands values the opinions of the wives and take it to God who ultimately guide the decision for the family. That was the origin of marriage....now marriage today by millions are thwarted with men thinking that theub are above God and same sex marriage is now considered "holy".

Now getting back to feminism...feminism back in 1800's is the same as feminism in 2013. Do not allow confused and demented individuals misquide you with phony definitions.

Since the origin of mankind, women were treated like whores and maids. They were sold off to marriage to the highest bidders. They were not allow to participate in politics, decision-making of the family, and denied formal education.

It took a group of courageous and tired women to start the movement which was called originally the Women Suffrage Movement later became Feminism. The movement fought for women to have the right to education, participate in politics, have equal power to their children, work outside the home, and speak her mind without persecution.

Now that women have these rights in various countries...they are fighting to clear other inequalities however other countries to this day oppresses women.

Now some sexist pigs and tricks want women to be happy with the few progresses made as if they are better than God, which is the biggest sin of them all.

You said something I agree with...your marriage ceremony and life with your husband is nobody's business or control but you and your spouse. If people would to spend their free time perfecting their life and relationship...they wouldn't have time debating other people about their choices and lifestyle.

2 Likes

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by luvmijeje(f): 3:28pm On Jul 28, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

You are right...God created marriage and ordained marriage between a man and a woman. The sole purpose of mariage was to build wholesome families where husbands love and respecr his wives and the wives does the same. Husbands values the opinions of the wives and take it to God who ultimately guide the decision for the family. That was the origin of marriage....now marriage today by millions are thwarted with men thinking that theub are above God and same sex marriage is now considered "holy".

Now getting back to feminism...feminism back in 1800's is the same as feminism in 2013. Do not allow confused and demented individuals misquide you with phony definitions.

Since the origin of mankind, women were treated like whores and maids. They were sold off to marriage to the highest bidders. They were not allow to participate in politics, decision-making of the family, and denied formal education.

It took a group of courageous and tired women to start the movement which was called originally the Women Suffrage Movement later became Feminism. The movement fought for women to have the right to education, participate in politics, have equal power to their children, work outside the home, and speak her mind without persecution.

Now that women have these rights in various countries...they are fighting to clear other inequalities however other countries to this day oppresses women.

Now some sexist pigs and tricks want women to be happy with the few progresses made as if they are better than God, which is the biggest sin of them all.

You said something I agree with...your marriage ceremony and life with your husband is nobody's business or control but you and your spouse. If people would to spend their free time perfecting their life and relationship...they wouldn't have time debating other people about their choices and lifestyle.
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jul 28, 2013
ileobatojo:

I am married and still use my maiden name. But, I plan to change it to my hubby's name.

And

I am a Feminist!

Well good for you!

I don't intend to change it ever = Pre-marriage agreement that's NEVER gonna change EVER.

And

I am NOT a Feminist!!
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jul 28, 2013
^^LMAO grin What is going on here? Ladies, Ladies, Ladies, let's focus on the issue at hand. smiley
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jul 28, 2013
^^ Lmao grin You don't get the point.

Life choices and Feminism are two different cause.

Not interested in the Topic, just trying to make a point clear. wink

1 Like

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by MrsChima(f): 3:48pm On Jul 28, 2013
99cent: future of weddings

Love this!! even the guy's suspenders and shoes are pretty cool.

Awwwww. She could have oil her hair more but nevertheless its a lovely picture.
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by coogar: 3:55pm On Jul 28, 2013
Why I loathe feminism... and believe it will ultimately destroy the family

ERIN PIZZEY set up the world's first refuge for battered women in 1971 - and went on to establish an international movement for victims of domestic violence. But what she has never made public before is that her own childhood was scarred by the shocking cruelty of both her parents.

Indeed, my mother's explosive temper and abusive behaviour shaped the person I later became like no other event in my life. Thirty years later, when feminism exploded onto the scene, I was often mistaken for a supporter of the movement. But I have never been a feminist, because, having experienced my mother's violence, I always knew that women can be as vicious and irresponsible as men.

Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the movement, which proclaimed that all men are potential räpists and batterers, was based on a lie that, if allowed to flourish, would result in the complete destruction of family life.
From the very beginning, I waged war against my mother and quickly learned to disassociate myself from the pain of her beatings.

Her words, however, stayed with me all my life. 'You are lazy, useless, and ugly,' she would scream. 'You look like your father's side of the family - Irish trash.'

They were vicious words that I have heard repeated over and over by mothers everywhere. Indeed, when I later opened my refuge for battered women, 62 of the first 100 to come through the door were as abusive as the men they had left.

Many years later, when feminists started demonising all fathers, these stark images continually reminded me of the truth - that domestic violence is not a gender issue.

Feminism, I realised, was a lie. Women and men are both capable of extraordinary cruelty. Indeed, the only thing a child really needs - two biological parents under one roof - was being undermined by the very ideology which claimed to speak up for women's rights.

This country is now on the brink of serious moral collapse. We must stop demonising men and start healing the rift that feminism has created between men and women.

Harriet Harman's insidious and manipulative philosophy that women are always victims and men always oppressors can only continue this unspeakable cycle of violence. And it's our children who will suffer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1215464/Why-I-loathe-feminism---believe-ultimately-destroy-family.html

5 Likes

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by TV01(m): 4:06pm On Jul 28, 2013
ileobatojo:

I am married and still use my maiden name. But, I plan to change it to my hubby's name.

Don't mean to be nosey - so feel free to demure - but are you "married" to a man or woman?

TV

1 Like

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 28, 2013
TV01:

Don't mean to be nosey - so feel free to demure - but are you "married" to a man or woman?

TV

Are you "married" to a robot or a sheep?
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by CNN80: 4:21pm On Jul 28, 2013
TV01:

TV

And this is what I was making reference too. What is the big deal about ileobatojo keeping her maiden name? Why must people make cracks at her just because she is in no hurry to change her name? Has her husband complained?

By the way, if you work in certain sectors, changing your name can be an exercise in patience. My govt office still issued me with a staff id in my maiden name. And let's not even talk about the fact that the only way to get an international passport in your new name is to go to Abuja. And there are varying reports as to the process involved. So now, my change of name feels like a waste of time in some instances.

1 Like

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jul 28, 2013
CNN80:

And this is what I was making reference too. What is the big deal about ileobatojo keeping her maiden name? Why must people make cracks at her just because she is in no hurry to change her name? Has her husband complained?

Oh, don't worry yourself about dear Tv, his own issues go beyond this thread. He's not just referring to my maiden name.

Tv do you have any scriptural references to support wife beating and rape today?
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jul 28, 2013
coogar: Why I loathe feminism... and believe it will ultimately destroy the family

Interesting debate, this one.

My lecturer told us about this woman's struggle and how she had to move out of the UK. Feminists sent her death threats after death threats and she was under police protection.
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by coogar: 4:35pm On Jul 28, 2013
keeked:

Interesting debate, this one.

My lecturer told us about this woman's struggle and how she had to move out of the UK. Feminists sent her death threats after death threats and she was under police protection.

sure, they did. she lived in hiding for almost 10 years and feminists killed her dog when they couldn't get to her as she was constantly under police protection.
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jul 28, 2013
coogar:

sure, they did. she lived in hiding for almost 10 years and feminists killed her dog when they couldn't get to her as she was constantly under police protection.
So much for the innocuous movement. Truth is the whole idea is female dominance. They can dress it up anyhow they please but we know what the shiit is.

1 Like

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jul 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
O boy wetin i do you? Why you dey call my name?

Fam, why did you ban this handle in the politics section? I purposedly signed out of this handle and used the other handle for whatever I posted on that thread - yet you still banned this one. You don't want to start e-beef with me, g.

Is it now a crime to defend myself? Listen, I don't know how you lot do things in naija but where I'm from, you don't back down from nobody and you must always defend yourself at all times. Heck, that was also how my pops raised me - we don't breed suckers out here.

Even in boxing, the first thing you will always learn is: "Defend yourself at all times."

Unban my handle, fam. angry
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by coogar: 8:18pm On Jul 28, 2013
fresh_dude: So much for the innocuous movement. Truth is the whole idea is female dominance. They can dress it up anyhow they please but we know what the shiit is.

truth is modern feminism is an evil underground movement that is worth billions of dollars. there has to be a propaganda that men are evil to keep the movement running.

do you know how much money the US government give VAWA? these funds are not accounted for, not audited. they are meant to fund the various shelters in america but the people working in the shelters don't get paid - most of them are volunteers....

the top radical feminists keep getting richer on the back of "all men are räpists" slogan whilst the average disciple is getting fooled by the antics like the mayan calendar. modern feminism is like illuminati.

1 Like

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jul 28, 2013
coogar:

truth is modern feminism is an evil underground movement there is worth billions of dollars. there has to be a propaganda that men are evil to keep the movement running.

do you know how much money the US government give VAWA? these funds are not accounted for, not audited. they are meant to fund the various shelters in america but the people working in the shelters don't get paid - most of them are volunteers....

the top radical feminists keep getting richer on the back of "all men are räpists" slogan whilst the average disciple is getting fooled by the antics like the mayan calendar. modern feminism is like illuminati.
Lol. Good luck to them. I read a topic on freerepublic.com talking about how 'society' is indoctrinating the young with the fear, disregard and disrespect of men.
One would think that these highly educated women would know what 'equal' rights mean, but then...

1 Like

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by coogar: 8:46pm On Jul 28, 2013
fresh_dude: Lol. Good luck to them. I read a topic on freerepublic.com talking about how 'society' is indoctrinating the young with the fear, disregard and disrespect of men.
One would think that these highly educated women would know what 'equal' rights mean, but then...

highly educated women that are mostly touts.....

the video below exposes what the modern feminism epitomises. there was a public forum of the male victims of domestic violence. this meeting was organised to help rehabilitate these men and restore their self confidence after what they suffered from their abusive partners.

feminists gathered themselves in numbers to disrupt the meeting. in their idealism, men can never be victims of domestic violence. imagine what the outrage would be if men gang up to disrupt meetings organised for female victims of domestic abuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qodygTkTUYM
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by TV01(m): 9:08pm On Jul 28, 2013
ileobatojo: Are you "married" to a robot or a sheep?

Neither.

My question was a serious one. We are our posting histories and you happen to be one of the few who reveals very little. And perhaps for good reason? But you being a "contemporary feminist" and a likely supporter of SSM, I just wondered.

So my question stands?

TV

1 Like

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 28, 2013
ileobatojo:

Are you "married" to a robot or a sheep?

1 Like

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by TV01(m): 9:12pm On Jul 28, 2013
CNN80:

I'll presume your misreading of my post was unintentional, but that was not the motivation for my question.

TV
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jul 28, 2013
coogar:

highly educated women that are mostly touts.....

the video below exposes what the modern feminism epitomises. there was a public forum of the male victims of domestic violence. this meeting was organised to help rehabilitate these men and restore their self confidence after what they suffered from their abusive partners.

feminists gathered themselves in numbers to disrupt the meeting. in their idealism, men can never be victims of domestic violence. imagine what the outrage would be if men gang up to disrupt meetings organised for female victims of domestic abuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qodygTkTUYM
Again, the irony. Women can do no wrong because, let's face it, they are women. If a woman does wrong, it must be because a man caused it. Men do wrong because men do wrong.
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jul 28, 2013
TV01:

Neither.

My question was a serious one. We are our posting histories and you happen to be one of the few who reveals very little. And perhaps for good reason? But you being a "contemporary feminist" and a likely supporter of SSM, I just wondered.

So my question stands?

TV

I'll be more than happy to answer your 'innocuous' question when I see some evidence that you routinely ask married Nigerians if they are married to people of the same gender or not.

Also please enlighten us more on the use of the word 'hubby' among lesbians to describe their partners since you seem knowledgable of that subject matter.

As to what I likely support, this seems to be a favorite past time of the haters around here, isn't it? Assuming they know your opinion and putting words in your mouth?
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by TV01(m): 11:31pm On Jul 28, 2013
ileobatojo: I'll be more than happy to answer your 'innocuous' question when I see some evidence that you routinely ask married Nigerians if they are married to people of the same gender or not.

Just curious. Like I said, most people reveal glimpses of their lives collaterally when posting. You don't - as far as I can see. Admittedly I don't see all your posts. I believe you mentioned a son, other than that nothing. So I wondered. Like I said, feel free to demure.

ileobatojo:
Also please enlighten us more on the use of the word 'hubby' among lesbians to describe their partners since you seem knowledgable of that subject matter.

It is not about lesbians per se. There are moves afoot to allow same-sex couples to use either term regardless of the sex of the couple. So for example two men could legally be two husbands, a husband and wife or two wives. So terms like "maiden" name" or reference to a "husband" will no longer possess the same face-value. Part of the convolution required to make "marriage equal".

ileobatojo:
As to what I likely support, this seems to be a favorite past time of the haters around here, isn't it? Assuming they know your opinion and putting words in your mouth?

I made it clear I was curious, hence my question. It helps understand differing POV', if there is some colour. I hitherto had no real sense of your beliefs, relationship status, orientation or very much other than you appear to be a trained medic.

In the current cultural wars, there is little difference banner wise between militant feminists and gay activists. I have ascribed nothing to you, merely asked a question and wondered out loud.

If you decline to answer or simply tell, no problem at all.

So, do you support SSM?

TV

3 Likes

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 3:13am On Jul 29, 2013
TV01:

Just curious. Like I said, most people reveal glimpses of their lives collaterally when posting. You don't - as far as I can see. Admittedly I don't see all your posts. I believe you mentioned a son, other than that nothing. So I wondered. Like I said, feel free to demure.

It is not about lesbians per se. There are moves afoot to allow same-sex couples to use either term regardless of the sex of the couple. So for example two men could legally be two husbands, a husband and wife or two wives. So terms like "maiden" name" or reference to a "husband" will no longer possess the same face-value. Part of the convolution required to make "marriage equal".

I made it clear I was curious, hence my question. It helps understand differing POV', if there is some colour. I hitherto had no real sense of your beliefs, relationship status, orientation or very much other than you appear to be a trained medic.

In the current cultural wars, there is little difference banner wise between militant feminists and gay activists. I have ascribed nothing to you, merely asked a question and wondered out loud.

If you decline to answer or simply tell, no problem at all.

So, do you support SSM?

TV

First I'm a lesbian single mom and now I'm a militant feminist which is no different from being a gay activist. You're such a doll, aren't you?

Yeah, I'm not even a tiny fraction interested in helping you satisfy your 'curiosity'. Have a nice day.
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by bukatyne(f): 1:17pm On Jul 29, 2013
LoveAmaka88: Why wed at all if you are a feminist? Marriages are patriarchal institutions perpetuated and sanctioned by male dominated governmental and religious institutions. A true feminist wouldn't want her legal identity to be compromised by attaching herself to a man. I want my damn ring, dress, friends, family, and institution that serves as the foundation of a stable and Godly home. I don't blame them for wanting something different, but don't try to label it as feminist when you are still subscribing to the institution in the first place.

I have been silently following this thread by yo brought moi out!

Care to explain the bolded?
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by bukatyne(f): 1:19pm On Jul 29, 2013
CNN80:

Marriage is a covenant instituted by God. What is with all these weird definitions of feminism? According to Wikipedia "Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women. This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist advocates or supports the rights and equality of women." Wanting a different type of wedding is not the end of the world. I'm married and let me say
1) I bought all the rings. It was easier for me to take care of that.
2) My father didn't walk me down the aisle. I don't think they do that in the Catholic Church.
3) I wore white just because my husband pointed out that I had earned the right to do so.
4) I got rid of that part of the reception where the cake maker describes the cake and people observing us cutting the cake and making comments on what they saw. I never understood the point.
5) I had a reception breakfast. The world didn't end.

It was our wedding ceremony. We were allowed to make it whatever we wanted it to be within reason. An elaborate ceremony is not the foundation of a stable and Godly home. And I really don't know why not wearing white should be considered feminist.

In face eh, I have really been learning!
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by bukatyne(f): 1:28pm On Jul 29, 2013
Feminists don suffer!

Imagine that a poster telling me that kindness and feminism does not jell! Seriously? All feminists must be rude etc. Once the word feminism is written, a lot of posters' have an e-heart attack!

Feminists do not want to marry!
Men are always in the wrong to them!

I wonder if most posters can differentiate between Feminists and Lesbians.

It's well cheesy

1 Like

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Bawss1(m): 4:18pm On Jul 29, 2013
The Feminists versus the Misogynists thread.

Well now we know where folks stand.
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by coogar: 4:28pm On Jul 29, 2013
bukatyne: Feminists don suffer!

Imagine that a poster telling me that kindness and feminism does not jell! Seriously? All feminists must be rude etc. Once the word feminism is written, a lot of posters' have an e-heart attack!

It's well cheesy

what has lesbianism gotta do with feminism? do you think we are illiterates here? what has intimate relationship between 2 women got to do with feminism?

bukatyne - you are by far the worst customer service agent from the coast of nigeria. all my enquiries just got swept under the carpet - well done!!!

1 Like

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jul 29, 2013

It's well cheesy

Bunch of ignoramuses and numskulls!
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by luvmijeje(f): 5:52pm On Jul 29, 2013

It's well cheesy

It's not just you o, I even read that feminism is about female supremacy. The one that shocked me most was a supposed female writing crap about feminism.
As far as I'm concerned, they won't just have e-heart attack, they will also have e-collapse and if they are not careful it may lead to e-death cos we are just starting.

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

My Mother Threatens To Commit Suicide If I Don't Leave The House / My Wife Told Me The Only Reason She's Still With Me Is Because Of Our 2 Kids / I Want To Die, 85-year-old Woman Rejected By Children Cries Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.