Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,989 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage (34538 Views)

Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) / Ten(10) Things Every Couple Must Discuss Before Getting Married / Things Intended Couples Need To Discuss Before Say I Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jul 29, 2013
okpara ugo: some people are one day, one trouble. pray that God delivers you from such a spouse. amen.

the greatest virtue in finding a spouse is patience. follow your heart and dont let anyone decide for you. i have seen parents, pastors or siblings choosing spouses for prople.

nah so the man go find me one ugly girl. i said God forbid.

its good to discuss but it is beyond discussion. i have even encountered someone saying that an agreement should be written and signed by both partners so that someone wont misbehave after marriage.

wetin be this ? nah business partnership.

just get an understamding person....
see bros, wen we re involved in wrong relationship we always no frm d beginning, most of us tries 2 reverse a physical change which is irreversible(chemistry), by so doing we get tied up wit some circumstances ,lik pregnancy which is d only trick women use nowadays
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jul 29, 2013
hmm. forget what you read about people on nairaland. someone can say beautiful things here and live a different life elsewhere. your observations about ladies are true. 98% of them fall into your definition but your duty is to find that 2% who have their heads on their shoulders for marriage.

very striking is your comment about independence. u have good observation. some of them enjoy exploring men for benefit. such arent wife material. seek and ye shall find.

DarryOsh:

now that you asked, i realise puttin it in into words in more difficult than i thought. Well, i must say that i believe good peolpe(regardless of sex, age, race etc) are generally hard to come by.

My default impression of ladies is that they are are superficial. I mean, who says they cant b deep thinkers.....to lots of them fashion, and other superficial stuff are kind of priority. Just check out what a lot of them regard as entertainment. They dont wann see deep movies.no! They dont really aspire for much. So many just want a guy with money and feel pressured to go into retaionships and marriage jut for the sake of it.

Why are they scared to b alone. A lady leaves a relationship and cannot imagine being on her own for a while. She just jumps into another man's arms. Talk about independence. Its all about show-off (even their marriage and relationships). My friend who things i set my standards too high believes that is how ladies are supposed to b.

In short, most girls go into relationships with the mindset that they are going to 'take' rather than 'give'. I wouldnt want a nagging wife who believe i should do d work of making things 'work' because she is the lady and i am the man.

Now, from experience, those who seem to have the right mindset may have submission issues (i use the word submission in accordance with the bible).

And, oh, faith is one thing i cnt compromise. Not just by mouth, bt practicing it.

Ps: sometimes i wonder if i hold this beliefs because of my own environment. I must say that when i come on to nairaland and read posts by some ladies, i wonder how come i dont come in contact with these wonderful ones. Where the hell are they?

I have tried to put it in words.......
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by eagleeye2: 3:37pm On Jul 29, 2013
Ashabie: Thank you for that question,my friend bot a freezer because she think she needed it and the hubby is not ready to buy it,this leads to a serious fight whereby I was the beneficiary of the freezer,until the freezer left the house before peace was restored.and what the hubby was saying was even if your salary is times 3 of mine,its none of my business,you must learn how to make use of what I can afford,not interested in your support.
where is your friend please or do you have more of such friends?
I hate men who don't earn much behaving as if their wives income does not matter in the scheme of things. Abeg money is important regardless of who earns what.... I will prefer my woman making contributions without me prompting her.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by eagleeye2: 3:40pm On Jul 29, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
R u d guy?
Is that the only contribution you have to make?
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by DarryOsh(m): 3:43pm On Jul 29, 2013
ighoosagie: u see , it wud b impossible for half cast children 2 b racist , same formula goes 2 religion.

I'm speaking frm experience, my dad atheist my mum Christian, we d children chooses wat we best fit in2, lik 2 of my brothers re atheist while myself n d oda re xtian .

By making dis real , we wud b raising a peace keepin generation n generations.

you make it sound so easy. Religion and race are not the same. The kind of marriage u talk about can only work if both parties do not take their religions very seriously. Even so, what happens if along the line one of them takes is more seriously and religious values clash. And as for the children, which wil they follow. From xperience, they follow the spouse who is more aggresive in instilling his/her religious beliefs

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jul 29, 2013
DarryOsh:

you make it sound so easy. Religion and race are not the same. The kind of marriage u talk about can only work if both parties do not take their religions very seriously. Even so, what happens if along the line one of them takes is more seriously and religious values clash. And as for the children, which wil they follow. From xperience, they follow the spouse who is more aggresive in instilling his/her religious beliefs
its wud b worse dan suicide 4 u 2 allow religion tk d stead of ur happiness .
Open dis link
https://www.nairaland.com/1374728/true-religion
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by eagleeye2: 3:50pm On Jul 29, 2013
okpara ugo:

Eyah, maybe you played away some chances.. people you should have taken seriosly were flung aside.

** following **
Not necessarily not taken them serious.. But ladies tend to be in a bit of a hurry. Marriage is a life time commitment.
It no longer surprises me when they start calling after about a year or two of married life. My response is always "I don't keep friends with married ladies"..
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by shirleywhyte(f): 3:51pm On Jul 29, 2013
DaRryOsh, please talk to me... cry
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by anihchinma(f): 4:03pm On Jul 29, 2013
Nice post........................
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Larrey(f): 4:04pm On Jul 29, 2013
honeric01: Reading through Nairaland's terrifying threads sometimes get me kinda confused. Like good friends before marriage becoming sworn enemies after marriage.

A loving man/women suddenly changing for the worse.

I would like matured married people on this board to help the younger ones (yet to say i do) state issues, things that intending couple should discuss before marriage.

We know alot of things are involved when it comes to having a peaceful (at least a bit) home after marriage.

Apart from having a consistent income generating biz/job

A comfortable shelter

How many kids needed in the union if any

level of influence in the union from extended family members

Maturity in age and thought process.

And other basic things needed before settling down, what are the others things both party should discuss in advance so as to avoid future conflict of interest?

No one's an island of knowledge, so pls share what you discussed before saying i do that's it working well for you now that you're married.

Me dey fear small small o and time's no longer my friend.....
just like ♍ƺ too o
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by SPSpecial(m): 4:06pm On Jul 29, 2013
As for me i will not only look out good attitudes of a lady, beauty is very crucial- d one dat will not fade even at the old age n after 4 or 5 kids. Cos i know v stay lng with a wowo, sagged woman. Beauty is part of what keeps d love rolling whenever u see any other beauty outside. U will only conclude n say 'my wife i prettier dan u'

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Meddler(f): 4:10pm On Jul 29, 2013
DarryOsh:

now that you asked, i realise puttin it in into words in more difficult than i thought. Well, i must say that i believe good peolpe(regardless of sex, age, race etc) are generally hard to come by.

My default impression of ladies is that they are are superficial. I mean, who says they cant b deep thinkers.....to lots of them fashion, and other superficial stuff are kind of priority. Just check out what a lot of them regard as entertainment. They dont wann see deep movies.no! They dont really aspire for much. So many just want a guy with money and feel pressured to go into retaionships and marriage jut for the sake of it.

Why are they scared to b alone. A lady leaves a relationship and cannot imagine being on her own for a while. She just jumps into another man's arms. Talk about independence. Its all about show-off (even their marriage and relationships). My friend who things i set my standards too high believes that is how ladies are supposed to b.

In short, most girls go into relationships with the mindset that they are going to 'take' rather than 'give'. I wouldnt want a nagging wife who believe i should do d work of making things 'work' because she is the lady and i am the man.

Now, from experience, those who seem to have the right mindset may have submission issues (i use the word submission in accordance with the bible).

And, oh, faith is one thing i cnt compromise. Not just by mouth, bt practicing it.

Ps: sometimes i wonder if i hold this beliefs because of my own environment. I must say that when i come on to nairaland and read posts by some ladies, i wonder how come i dont come in contact with these wonderful ones. Where the hell are they?

I have tried to put it in words.......

I laugh when I hear guys describe a particular type of lady u have encountered in the past or present. My take is that if u have been meeting the same type of girls over and over again, change environments ur taste and try something different. my female friends r the complete opposite of what you described above. Sorry for the cliché but they r strong independent women and r not looking for someone to take care of them. Now the funny thing is that guys appear not to like those kind of chicks. Either they r too intimidated by them or they believe they would be too proud. Anyway the gist of my story is that u start looking for women and not girls because there's a big difference between the two. Apparently uve only been meeting girls.

2 Likes

Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jul 29, 2013
eagle,eye:

Is that the only contribution you have to make?
Yes o! What do u want me to say naw?

Ok,pray to ur maker for good spouse. R u ok naw?
*(runs out)*
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by faithuak(f): 4:30pm On Jul 29, 2013
greatgod2012: Continued

YOUR SEXUALITY........... This aspect can never be over emphasized in any marriage and it has been one of the causes of many problems in many marriages. Therefore, discuss it extensively while courting, some people use to shy away from it and after marriage, it raises its ugly head in such a way that if care is not taken, it can scatter the marriage.
Question that may be asked here include..........
~how sexually active are you
~are you a virgin
~do you believe in s ex before marriage
~are you sexually attracted to a certain physique, for example, anyone who is sexually attracted to a slim person has no business dating a fat person and vice versar
~do you prefer a particular complexion in the other person, for example, I don't like a fair complexion man and I've never dated one in my life. If you are sexually attracted to a fair complexion person, you don't have any business with a dark complexion person.

YOUR HEALTH.............. Under this you discuss some pertinent questions like
~ Are you both ready and willing to undergo a comprehensive medical screening
~what are your views on exercise and fasting
~what are the medical problems you've had in the past
~What are the the medical history in you both family
~who falls ill often and less often between you two,etc.

YOUR RESPECT........... Mutual respect in marriagedetermines to a great extent how a marriage turns out. To regard a person with esteem, you need to have an appreciable level of repect for such a person. Some important question to ask here include
~can you proudly introduce your spouse-to-be to your friends and relatives
~do I relate to this person as my friend
~do I accept his or her friends as ny friends
~is there mutual giving and sharing in this relationship
Do I like the way he or she makes decision
~do we bring out the best from each other
~do I like the way this person makes decision
~am I constantly in conflict with him or her
~will I be drained of my individuality,personality, creativity, dreams and hopes, self respect,dignity and significance if I go on to marriage with this person.

YOUR EDUCATION........ The interpretation of issues and events greatly depend on one's educational background, therefore, it has to be threshed out, in order to prevent unnecessary frictions in your marriage. If you are the type that will want your partner to have at least first degree, you don't have business with anyone below that educational level, except he or she is ready and willing to upgrade him or herseld educationally.

YOUR COMMUNICATION........... Inability to communicate differences and problems out in a marriage put a great danger in such a marriage, therefore, communication, effective and efficient one is beneficial to the success of every marriage.
Right from courtship, examine if
~you interact freely with your intended spouse
~he or she listen to suggestions, ideas, and advices
~if he or she talks down on you
~if he or she listen when you talk
~if he or she discuss issues or avoid issues
~if you are free to disagree with him or her on any issue
~if he maintains healthy communication
Etc

All in all, marriage counsellors will do a wonderful job for you if you seek for their services. But above all, a three-fold cord is not easily broken, invite God and lean on Him and He will direct your path to the right person. However, don't forget to be a right partner in order to attract a right partner, remember. Like attract likes.
May God help us all.
God help me! Nice write-up dear.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by eagleeye2: 4:31pm On Jul 29, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
Yes o! What do u want me to say naw?

Ok,pray to ur maker for good spouse. R u ok naw?
*(runs out)*
Is that all?
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by DarryOsh(m): 4:40pm On Jul 29, 2013
shirley whyte: DaRryOsh, please talk to me... cry
ayt, shirley.......*extends hands of friendship* followig u........
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Asiwaju9ja(m): 4:40pm On Jul 29, 2013
Question: Why all these days marriages dey hard to survive?

Answer: Na Marriage of Convenience dem dey do these days.

Apart from dis, if both of u are genuinely interest in d Marriage and not what each is bringing into d marriage, 90% Chance is that it will work.

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Princesszoe: 4:42pm On Jul 29, 2013
OP, if you like discuss the whole world with your woman, if the two of you lack the fear of God, you will surely breach some of your agreements at the long run. So is not how far you have gone on agreement but how well the agreement will be kept. Again, make sure you have read the pages of bible which recorded the instructions given to husband and wife respectively as regards to their duties. If not, you may receive it hot when the temptations start coming. Make sure you read those pages and get your spouse to read too. The two of you must have the fear of God; read and assimilate those Bible pages and determine to abide in them. However i will only list few things you may likely need to discuss before matching down to the alter.

(1) Discuss and know what you ought to know about yourselves- background, child outside wedlock; previous marriage; religion. (2) Discuss number of children you both want. (3) In the absence of none(no child) or a particular sex(boy or girl), what will be the fate of the marriage? (4) What type of movie should we keep at home? (5) Will you stay for better for worse or can anything lead to divorce? (be honesty with this) (6) Will you still love her if her physique changes? & Will she still love you if your assets get into trouble? (7) What are the things you cannot compromise on or can you sacrifice in all things?(you must be serious with this) (cool To what extend can both of you accommodate friends? (9) Does she want house help, nanny or share house chores with you? (10) will the both of you always share the good, bad and ugly commitments you have involved yourselves into when you finally become husband and wife? (the two of you are one so you are meant to be open and resistitute) Above all, Are you both compatible?

Marriage can make you build focus and can make you lose focus. Marriage can make you and can mar you. Marriage can distract you from living a holy life and can build you up for heavenly race. Marriage can make you emotionally sane and can also make you emotionally insane. Marriage can make you last long on earth and can equally take you to an early grave. Be a true child of God; develop fear of God; and live right, then you will attract your like.

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by DarryOsh(m): 4:46pm On Jul 29, 2013
ighoosagie: its wud b worse dan suicide 4 u 2 allow religion tk d stead of ur happiness .
Open dis link
https://www.nairaland.com/1374728/true-religion

if we go into this discussion, we might derail this thread.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Fhemmmy: 4:48pm On Jul 29, 2013
DarryOsh:

if we go into this discussion, we might derail this thread.

True that, so might be ideal to open another thread for it . . .
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jul 29, 2013
El Guapo: 75% of Marriage Issues for discourse must have been brought to light during the courtship periods - That is if the duo ever recognizes the need for courtship.

That breaks the gazillion talking points to bits.

At getting married, the couple would have to address pressing issues like;

1. How their respective Jobs would serve as a plus to the young marriage.

2. How many Kids to beget.

3. Choosing the kids' Professions, and how best to have them on track.

4. How best to maximise the funds for the home upkeeping, having on mind that the numbers would soon swell when the kids arrive.

5. Traversing on the path of righteousness - Both would have to belong to same faith and work towards their spiritual flaws. Etc

A counsellor would still do a perfect Job though.

Well said, though I had to laugh when I read your point No. 3. Why would you want to choose your kids' professions on their behalf?!

Well, let me not digress any further. Back to the topic smiley

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by ellotts(m): 5:09pm On Jul 29, 2013
this is one of the best discussion I have seen so far.................
so interesting..................
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by DarryOsh(m): 5:10pm On Jul 29, 2013
Meddler:

I laugh when I hear guys describe a particular type of lady u have encountered in the past or present. My take is that if u have been meeting the same type of girls over and over again, change environments ur taste and try something different. my female friends r the complete opposite of what you described above. Sorry for the cliché but they r strong independent women and r not looking for someone to take care of them. Now the funny thing is that guys appear not to like those kind of chicks. Either they r too intimidated by them or they believe they would be too proud. Anyway the gist of my story is that u start looking for women and not girls because there's a big difference between the two. Apparently uve only been meeting girls.

well said. I stated earlier that i wonder if perhaps i am the one surrounded by the wrong sort. U make it sound as if i said all ladies are like that? No i did not.

And i forgot to mention that i know a number of independent ones too (but for some reasons thear are 'within reach').

But if as u say, most of the ladies you know are independent and yet do not let it 'get into their heads'( u didnt talk about that aspect though), then its great.

Finally, about meeting 'women', i am not even 'searching' (@ least not delibrately).
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by DarryOsh(m): 5:12pm On Jul 29, 2013
Fhemmmy:

True that, so might be ideal to open another thread for it . . .
i suppose...
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Meddler(f): 5:15pm On Jul 29, 2013
DarryOsh: well said. I stated earlier that i wonder if perhaps i am the one surrounded by the wrong sort. U make it sound as if i said all ladies are like that? No i did not.

And i forgot to mention that i know a number of independent ones too (but for some reasons thear are 'within reach').

But if as u say, most of the ladies you know are independent and yet do not let it 'get into their heads'( u didnt talk about that aspect though), then its great.

Finally, about meeting 'women', i am not even 'searching' (@ least not delibrately).

I know u didn't mean all the ladies. And yes they don't let it get to their heads grin.

Anyway hope u finally get to meet the ideal lady who is within reach
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 29, 2013
eagle,eye:

Is that all?
I try naw!
At least I said something!
What works for me may not work for u.
But at least we all hv one thing in common.our maker irrespective of religion except atheists. That's why I said pray to ur maker.
But then again,that to me is the wisest thing any man or woman hopin to tie the knot should do. He will supply the rest.
Happy naw?
Eagle eye,pls don't eagle eye me o!
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by DarryOsh(m): 5:26pm On Jul 29, 2013
Meddler:

I know u didn't mean all the ladies. And yes they don't let it get to their heads grin.

Anyway hope u finally get to meet the ideal lady who is within reach

i av this feelin u r bein sarcastic wit me......tell me i'm right.lol
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by TV01(m): 5:29pm On Jul 29, 2013
honeric01: Hmmmm, thanks, pls share more, others are reading..

My pleasure.

If per my first post, you are individually mature (Spiritually, Educationally, Financially Physically, Emotionally, Socially – each of these require more detail, please ask if required), then you are ready for courtship.

I had my preferred way of meeting people, but whatever way/s you use, I always suggest you have a good idea of what you want in a spouse. It will save you a lot of time and hassle if you focus. If at all possible, learn a little about a person before you approach them or accept to get to know them better, let alone “date”. (More here also, but please ask, I’m trying to keep it short).

So, you are getting to know this person, what to discuss? Your aim is to gain sufficient insight into this persons character, worldview and aspirations to know if you should proceed to courtship proper and ultimately marriage.

In marriage, the possible combination and variety of situations you will face are so numerous, you simply cannot discuss them all, hence the emphasis on maturity & character. And a real God fearing nature if you believe.

So discuss pretty much everything and anything, being sure to learn about them as a person. Background, heritage, desires (especially for marriage), education, and any life experiences they are willing to share. At the early stages, don’t necessarily get too deep.

Talk lots. Be out together (in safe non-pressured, environments), in groups, assess how they are in public, their familial and social interaction if you have the opportunity

If it becomes more likely that they are looking like the one, the relationship should be made exclusive and then more intimate things like sex can be discussed as you become closer. I always counsel full disclosure of past relationships around this point. Be sure to meet family and close friends and assess further.

You can “plan”, some things quite clearly, but some things only generally. Man proposes....be flexible and willing to discuss further, compromise or make strategic changes. You’ll probably have too once married.

Overall, you want to be sure of your commitment to each other and your union. You should ideally know what that means before you start, only now you’ve found the one. A slight digression, but ensure you engage your support - family etc - before it gets too serious or any commitment is made. There should be discussion here also, and whoever it is should be presented - repeatedly.

If at any point you feel you cannot marry – spend the rest of your life with - this person, then diplomatically bow out.

As a Christian, I always counsel marrying someone of like faith and avoiding fornication. I may touch on intimacy more fully in a separate post , but that should suffice for now.

Look out for – deceit, anger, selfishness, caginess, inconsistency, lewdness, lack of focus or direction, any kind of impropriety. Set your standards high or you will likely compromise on calibre of person and personal qualities.

This is not a template or a roadmap, it’s general guidance. Your quest will and should be very personal. Your story, your marriage.

Apologies for the slightly disjointed order, I’m rushed. All the best as you proceed towards marital bliss.

TV

2 Likes

Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by amanikondo: 5:32pm On Jul 29, 2013
T
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by eagleeye2: 5:34pm On Jul 29, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
I try naw!
At least I said something!
What works for me may not work for u.
But at least we all hv one thing in common.our maker irrespective of religion except atheists. That's why I said pray to ur maker.
But then again,that to me is the wisest thing any man or woman hopin to tie the knot should do. He will supply the rest.
Happy naw?
Eagle eye,pls don't eagle eye me o!
Please continue, I am all eyes.... I wish to read more.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by misstobi: 5:35pm On Jul 29, 2013
I just noticed lack of communication wt couples ds day,nobody seems to b @ peace wt 1 anoda nd instead of talk things thru,dey prefer to let silence rule
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by sportfeva(m): 5:37pm On Jul 29, 2013
honeric01: .hh

But i know someone who said a limit shouldn't be placed and that the man should act as if the woman's income doesn't exist. What's your take on this?
I personally believe the man is responsible for the finance of his wife and children and shouldn't expect any kobo being spend from his wife. She can only do that at will and persuasion maybe the husband is a little bit tight. Even, he should be giving her allowance base on buoyancy and will without demanding how she spent it. That's my belief which I believe is correct.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Led To The Greatest Flogging You Received As A Kid?? / I Was Punished, Ostracized For 20 Years For Marrying A White Lady: Aroms Aigbehi / Mohammed Masaba Is Dead. The Islamic Cleric Who Married 97 Wives Dies At Age 93

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.