Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,072 members, 7,821,684 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:49 PM

Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage (34541 Views)

Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) / Ten(10) Things Every Couple Must Discuss Before Getting Married / Things Intended Couples Need To Discuss Before Say I Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Meddler(f): 5:51pm On Jul 29, 2013
DarryOsh:

i av this feelin u r bein sarcastic wit me......tell me i'm right.lol

no sarcasm here, I promise.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Princek12(m): 5:58pm On Jul 29, 2013
El Guapo: 75% of Marriage Issues for discourse must have been brought to light during the courtship periods - That is if the duo ever recognizes the need for courtship.

That breaks the gazillion talking points to bits.

At getting married, the couple would have to address pressing issues like;

1. How their respective Jobs would serve as a plus to the young marriage.

2. How many Kids to beget.

3. Choosing the kids' Professions, and how best to have them on track.

4. How best to maximise the funds for the home upkeeping, having on mind that the numbers would soon swell when the kids arrive.

5. Traversing on the path of righteousness - Both would have to belong to same faith and work towards their spiritual flaws. Etc

A counsellor would still do a perfect Job though.

Typical backward, Nigerian mentality, which is why our country is in such a retarded stage despite our resources and potential.

Who are you to choose your kids' professions? You should nurture your kids and support them in whatever profession they choose. Each kid has his or her own talent, and deciding that your child should be a doctor, despite that child having talent in, for example, electrical engineering, is not good for society.

Your child may be even blessed with a good voice and may be on her way to becoming the next Whitney Houston before a parent like you chooses a lawyer profession for that child.

SMH.

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by DarryOsh(m): 6:00pm On Jul 29, 2013
Meddler:

no sarcasm here, I promise.
ok, thanks for wishing me well. Wish u well too
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by antartica(m): 6:05pm On Jul 29, 2013
Marriage is spountaneous,it just happens as it get along.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by shirleywhyte(f): 6:28pm On Jul 29, 2013
DarryOsh, look no further I'm here forr you...
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by DarryOsh(m): 6:51pm On Jul 29, 2013
shirley whyte: DarryOsh, look no further I'm here forr you...
really....? Funny......
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Pimples(m): 6:54pm On Jul 29, 2013
shirley whyte: DarryOsh, look no further I'm here forr you...

You mean u fell just like that?

Well I don't blame u @DarryOsh sounds very intelligent. And who would not want to be associated with intelligence.

I'm of the opinion that if genuine love is involved all other considerations can wait ...even the bible says that love does not look for it's own intrests.

If u really are in love then, you'd be willing to make compromises. Afterall marriage requires a lot of compromise.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by shirleywhyte(f): 6:54pm On Jul 29, 2013
Hmnmmmm...wwhat's funny?? undecided
Youu fink I'm joking??
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by shirleywhyte(f): 6:57pm On Jul 29, 2013
@piimples, yes oOoO...he'a an intelligent hunk..he's just fronting...
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by deols(f): 7:02pm On Jul 29, 2013
Ashabie: Thank you for that question,my friend bot a freezer because she think she needed it and the hubby is not ready to buy it,this leads to a serious fight whereby I was the beneficiary of the freezer,until the freezer left the house before peace was restored.and what the hubby was saying was even if your salary is times 3 of mine,its none of my business,you must learn how to make use of what I can afford,not interested in your support.

This man has complex issues o. I advise the woman to look at the bright side. Let her save and invest her money.

It would be useful someday.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by DarryOsh(m): 7:28pm On Jul 29, 2013
shirley whyte: @piimples, yes oOoO...he'a an intelligent hunk..he's just fronting...

chei! These ladies r pulling my legs. No wahala.....
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by shirleywhyte(f): 7:30pm On Jul 29, 2013
Why do you think so?? undecided
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by DarryOsh(m): 7:40pm On Jul 29, 2013
shirley whyte: Why do you think so?? undecided

cos i just feel it deep in my spirit....lol....joking, really. But seriously, u sound smart and smart people dont believe all they see on the net. For all u know, i could be 5o yrs old, i cud b a female, in fact....mayb i av bn lyin all along.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jul 29, 2013
El Guapo: 75% of Marriage Issues for discourse must have been brought to light during the courtship periods - That is if the duo ever recognizes the need for courtship.

That breaks the gazillion talking points to bits.

At getting married, the couple would have to address pressing issues like;

1. How their respective Jobs would serve as a plus to the young marriage.

2. How many Kids to beget.

3. Choosing the kids' Professions, and how best to have them on track.

4. How best to maximise the funds for the home upkeeping, having on mind that the numbers would soon swell when the kids arrive.

5. Traversing on the path of righteousness - Both would have to belong to same faith and work towards their spiritual flaws. Etc

A counsellor would still do a perfect Job though.

Permit me to use your comment on my facebook page. full credit will be given to you. Thanks in advance.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jul 29, 2013
I am amazed! My hubby and I didn't do any conference before we got married o, about the only thing that came up was number of kids and even that changed after the kids started to arrive.

I think if two people are fully committed and always talk to each other, there's no reason why a marriage should not!

You can discuss all you want but the reality is that life is dynamic, as long as issues get tackled together, there should not be too much wahala along the way that you won't be able to handle together.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by shirleywhyte(f): 8:17pm On Jul 29, 2013
DarryOsh:

cos i just feel it deep in my spirit....lol....joking, really. But seriously, u sound smart and smart people dont believe all they see on the net. For all u know, i could be 5o yrs old, i cud b a female, in fact....mayb i av bn lyin all along.

Hmmmmmmm...For real?? Are you a grandma?
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jul 29, 2013
ighoosagie: wat has religion got 2 do wit marriage? as 4 me I'd prefer anytin inter,
Lik : intercultural,
Interracial,
Inter religion .
This us becos I'm very open minded
A lot in my opinion
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by honeric01(m): 9:38pm On Jul 29, 2013
UncleDumo:

Permit me to use your comment on my facebook page. full credit will be given to you. Thanks in advance.

Hope you're not going to choose career for your kids o?
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by honeric01(m): 9:39pm On Jul 29, 2013
naijababe: I am amazed! My hubby and I didn't do any conference before we got married o, about the only thing that came up was number of kids and even that changed after the kids started to arrive.

I think if two people are fully committed and always talk to each other, there's no reason why a marriage should not!

You can discuss all you want but the reality is that life is dynamic, as long as issues get tackled together, there should not be too much wahala along the way that you won't be able to handle together.

Meaning nothing is worth discussing before hand, not even the number of kids? like anything goes? no need for expectation?
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jul 29, 2013
Princek12:

Typical backward, Nigerian mentality, which is why our country is in such a retarded stage despite our resources and potential.

Who are you to choose your kids' professions? You should nurture your kids and support them in whatever profession they choose. Each kid has his or her own talent, and deciding that your child should be a doctor, despite that child having talent in, for example, electrical engineering, is not good for society.

Your child may be even blessed with a good voice and may be on her way to becoming the next Whitney Houston before a parent like you chooses a lawyer profession for that child.

SMH.

Sometimes, asking questions would help in a discourse, dont u think so?

Parents would choose a profession for their kid/ward on the ground that this is the area he/she does well, thereby, the need to direct 'em on that course mounts imperative.

You dont expect a 10yr Old kid to decipher that he/she has got incredible skills on a particular field neither do u expect such child to start having plans panned out on how to be succesful in such field.

Its the parent that does the deciphering, makes the assumed right choice and places the kid on that path, but if it turns out that the kid at getting matured sees the need to delve into another profession citing reasons for such decision, the parents would still have to grant him/her such request.

I dont parade rife views/notions, not even visceral at the slightest thought.

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jul 29, 2013
honeric01:

Meaning nothing is worth discussing before hand, not even the number of kids? like anything goes? no need for expectation?

I didn't say nothing is worth discussing, all i am saying you can't figure out everything. In fact 9 out of ten, the curve ball that gets thrown at you was never discussed.

Summarily, you just need to be open with each and stay committed!
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jul 29, 2013
naijababe:

I didn't say nothing is worth discussing, all i am saying you can't figure out everything. In fact 9 out of ten, the curve ball that gets thrown at you was never discussed.

Summarily, you just need to be open with each and stay committed!

That's too much surprises in a dark bottle and it's gonna go kaboom and hurt so bad.... Hence the over flogged annoying question / quote on Family section '' was he like that when dating?'' angry

I agree room for spontaneity but too much room makes marriage tired and boring... Hence taking ones partner for granted and selfish= Resentment.

Yes life throws curveballs hence IMO point of view should be Financial bankrupt, terminal disease or even death which is no brainer change plans , very understandable .

The earlier the better the new fiancé and fiancées know that they need to have The Talk bout their future so there's no sly turn in the middle the better.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jul 29, 2013
^ Lol jide, my dad used to say common sense is not common. I guess i knew all wanted and needed to know before we hitched! It may sound old fashioned now but we dated for 4yrs before we did the do. All these sit down and hash out everything is just plain weird to me. What he says mean fuckall, what he does is what i am after.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jul 29, 2013
naijababe: ^ Lol jide, my dad used to say common sense is not common. I guess i knew all wanted and needed to know before we hitched! It may sound old fashioned now but we dated for 4yrs before we did the do. All these sit down and hash out everything is just plain weird to me. What he says mean fuckall, what he does is what i am after.

I agree with you walahi!

But with the stories we see here day in day out , 1,2,3, year marriage down the drain , don't you think Having The Talk should be reinforced Now??

I read these stories I say to my self is this real or a movie? It's disturbing and uncomfortable .
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jul 29, 2013
Jgirl, do you know anyone who can change overnight?! I honestly believe that the writings are always on the wall, people more often than not choose to ignore it.

I had a boyfriend who would say all the meanest things on earth when angry. As a 'chap' girl, i jejely clear for hin road, for close to 6 months he didn't believe that i had left him because according to him, women do not leave men!!! No be big handwriting for wall be that?! But ladies would ignore that because he took them to shoprite the next day!
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Cathydera(f): 10:48pm On Jul 29, 2013
Lord into your hands I commit my future hubby.
may nothing cover his eyes in finding his lost rib.
Also may nothing shine too bright from me seeing his coming.
compatibility and companionship I ask of thy.

Amen.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jul 29, 2013
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jul 29, 2013
chaircover: Infidelity is one of the major causes of marriage breakups.

How many people whilst courting ever own up and say "Yes, there is a great possibility that I am going to have a roving eye" when we get married.

Now i want an answer from the call a conference faction to this fine question.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jul 29, 2013
The Fact is people NOW change. Believe it or not they change. Infact if its possible, a mutual agreement should be incised clearly with a Lawyer present. And I'm not kidding neither exaggerating.

We have a regular poster on this forum whose husband changed from black to white according to her, she's a credible person to doubt she made it up.
And many more. Now don't get me wrong I believe the example you narrated up there but the percentage of the former ( change) is rather shocking .

I stopped being part of the '' was he like that when dating'' crowd long time ago. Sorry undecided

My opinion tho

Cathydera: Lord into your hands I commit my future hubby.
may nothing cover his eyes in finding his lost rib.
Also may nothing shine too bright from me seeing his coming.
compatibility and companionship I ask of thy.

Amen.

Shine your eyes well well so you don't blame God for anything later! Yen yen yen
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jul 29, 2013

How many people whilst courting ever own up and say "Yes, there is a great possibility that I am going to have a roving eye" when we get married.

Now that's one of Life's unexpected Slap curveball!!

To be fair tho , many factors ( problems) in marriage leads to infidelity . True
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by honeric01(m): 11:10pm On Jul 29, 2013

But this can be seen in some cases, if he/she was the type that slept with most of his/her ex-GF/BF before meeting you, he or she is likely to be a suspect. (Not a strong case though).

A womanizer/slut can't hide this trait unless the person prefer to ignore this attitude.

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jul 29, 2013
@ jide, half the time when i read the family thread, my eyes are popping outta their sockets. Me, i don't know what to believe again. Make everybody shinw their eyes and sign a prenup if they have to!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Was Punished, Ostracized For 20 Years For Marrying A White Lady: Aroms Aigbehi / Please Help! A New Tenant Has Just Kidnapped 3 Children / Help!!! My Host Is Sexing A Minor... What Should I Do????

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.