Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:37 AM

Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage (34528 Views)

Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) / Ten(10) Things Every Couple Must Discuss Before Getting Married / Things Intended Couples Need To Discuss Before Say I Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by eagleeye2: 2:07pm On Jul 29, 2013
alutacontinua: *spreads mat on thread*
abeg take you Aluta go politics or anyother thread. I will pour you water ohh...hmmm...ehhn..... you people bear me witness oh, I will pour her water if she does not remove that mat.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jul 29, 2013
eagle,eye:

abeg take you Aluta go politics or anyother thread. I will pour you water ohh...hmmm...ehhn..... you people bear me witness oh, I will pour her water if she does not remove that mat.

It's coogar that would deal with you. As i've even ordered for popcorn already tongue

Coogar, you can join me on my mat, it's wide enough. wink
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by DarryOsh(m): 2:10pm On Jul 29, 2013
I like to think that i stil hav time on my side (early twenties) but i try to prepare. This marriage of a thing is a big deal! Sometimes it seems that one can never prepare enough. I have seen circumstances turn great marrriages into something else.

Because i believe that i am a very good man and whoever gets me is favoured, i have set high standards. A friend tells me my standards are unrelistic. Yet another friend (who is just like me in many regards) says otherwise. He believes that since i meet up with those high standard i deseve someone who also does. But its confusing......i believe in compromise but there are many things i dont want to compromise on. Lord help us all.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by eagleeye2: 2:15pm On Jul 29, 2013
DarryOsh: I like to think that i stil hav time on my side (early twenties) but i try to prepare. This marriage of a thing is a big deal! Sometimes it seems that one can never prepare enough. I have seen circumstances turn great marrriages into something else.

Because i believe that i am a very good man and whoever gets me is favoured, i have set high standards. A friend tells me my standards are unrelistic. Yet another friend (who is just like me in many regards) says otherwise. He believes that since i meet up with those high standard i deseve someone who also does. But its confusing......i believe in compromise but there are many things i dont want to compromise on. Lord help us all.
Please can you give us an example of those standards. Because I was once young and thought I would have settled years ago, but I am not even sure of doing it this year. irrespective of my earnings, I don't really lack money, so I wouldn't attribute my bachelorhood to lack of money.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by emiye(m): 2:38pm On Jul 29, 2013
BLOOD GENOTYPE.

Get the test done in a standard hospital lab

AS + AS = NO MARRIAGE

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by DollyParton1(f): 2:46pm On Jul 29, 2013
El Guapo: 75% of Marriage Issues for discourse must have been brought to light during the courtship periods - That is if the duo ever recognizes the need for courtship.

That breaks the gazillion talking points to bits.

At getting married, the couple would have to address pressing issues like;

3. Choosing the kids' Professions, and how best to have them on track. Etc

A counsellor would still do a perfect Job though.
Who in the world chooses a kid's profession

The best u can do is guide and advice them.
And above all pray for them.

2 Likes

Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jul 29, 2013
On a scale of 1 to 10. How open minded are you babe? cool
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jul 29, 2013
ibkaye: Religion and values
wat has religion got 2 do wit marriage? as 4 me I'd prefer anytin inter,
Lik : intercultural,
Interracial,
Inter religion .
This us becos I'm very open minded
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jul 29, 2013
Once she is a good child of God. she must be humble, understanding and tolerant.

i will need 2 things from her, good food and good cex.

i will provide money.

problems crop up after marriage when a partner is overbearing or indisciplined.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Ashabie(f): 2:51pm On Jul 29, 2013
Thank you for that question,my friend bot a freezer because she think she needed it and the hubby is not ready to buy it,this leads to a serious fight whereby I was the beneficiary of the freezer,until the freezer left the house before peace was restored.and what the hubby was saying was even if your salary is times 3 of mine,its none of my business,you must learn how to make use of what I can afford,not interested in your support.
honeric01: .hh

But i know someone who said a limit shouldn't be placed and that the man should act as if the woman's income doesn't exist. What's your take on this?
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 29, 2013
[b] Viewing this topic: Petbuk123 , LastApostle (m),
presiade( m), Joyland(m), Mr Ford , Chidex4096 (f ),
wesley80 ( m), okpara ugo, harmony940 ( m),
lambvard(m), Valeree( f), freecocoa( f), Horlalaykon
(m), kaycrystal( m), kelech1 (m), jumman(f ),
KA24DETT (m), Naam22 , Mudley313 , dieold ,
naijamatter , Boss13 , lamibakers , talk2dayland , De
Camer( m), kollysnut (m), Ashabie (f), Cathybrown,
Chegal( f), Wunmi10 ( f), yemmit90 , ojingbe( m),
Dempsy (m), itsgood, victor2u2005 (m), Ehimax (m),
Richfella (m), Super Dan, boluwa , steveec122 ( m),
Dolly-Parton (f ), Okija_juju ( m), Bashirfuntua(m),
gojakes, feelamong( m), oxford( m), LEXYCOM,
Myluv&I , rooney11 , idysamuel , parrygee (m),
sage007 , DrBaby (f ), ziddy (m), cindayat05 ( m), SIR
KOL! , Sijo01 (f), Youngmaster0 , reality.chick ,
therealbabe (f ), ighoosagie (m), embeddoyin (m),
kliq(m), umunnatim(m), Best Babe1 , engrjamiu
(m), Hardeybiryo (m), Rc odor (m), 1stCitizen ,
sardauna_01 , ePUNK , Amazondepth( m), Ezeed(f ),
debby dominic (f), alpha conde( m), jeje.annette@
ya (f), olasberguk , Goddex, hoochay,
temitayoaliu@gm and 136 guest(s) [/b].... Na wa ooo... I go chop wedding rice ooo :-)
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 29, 2013
emiye: BLOOD GENOTYPE.

Get the test done in a standard hospital lab

AS + AS = NO MARRIAGE
dis isn't applicable 2 me, AMA A2
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jul 29, 2013
eagle,eye:
^^^Ok.
Both intending partners are the last child of their respective parents (Little or no major responsibilities). Don't think the girl will get a job right away in her field of study (yet to go on service).
No, the girl is not expensive but the guy is another matter (got a car and his taste in clothing is a bit refined).
The guys job is stable (if he stays there) but doesn't pay much. Though if he combines it with income from other runs it makes up to that 80.
Actually commitment scares the guy, because it comes with real responsibility
R u d guy?

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by DollyParton1(f): 2:55pm On Jul 29, 2013
ighoosagie: wat has religion got 2 do wit marriage? as 4 me I'd prefer anytin inter,
Interracial,
Inter religion .

I can't believe some1 is asking what religion has got to do with marriage.
I have seen marriages been torn apart because of different religious beliefs.

Like how old are u again? Come back when u re older.

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Fhemmmy: 2:58pm On Jul 29, 2013
it is so important to discuss individual plans/Dream and see how they will fit into the plans/Dream of the union . . .
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Fhemmmy: 2:59pm On Jul 29, 2013
ighoosagie: wat has religion got 2 do wit marriage? as 4 me I'd prefer anytin inter,
Interracial,
Inter religion .

nice to be open minded, but you have to let him or her know that as well cos what happened, if she/he is not as open minded as you?
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by SIRKOL(m): 3:01pm On Jul 29, 2013
We.all.must.know.that Luv is blind but marriage will open our.eyes. We must.all.Prepare.for. conflict. must.arise so as to learn To treat Issues maturedly.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jul 29, 2013
Dolly-Parton:

I can't believe some1 is asking what religion has got to do with marriage.
I have seen marriages been torn apart because of different religious beliefs.

Like how old are u again? Come back when u re older.
wat abt okotie n Stephanie, re dey not dsame religion?
Nija wud b a beta place if xtianz n Muslizm start gettin married 2 each oda, n d world wud b a paradise if blackz n whitez increases d ratio if getting married.

I love learning frm odas.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Fhemmmy: 3:05pm On Jul 29, 2013
ighoosagie: wat abt okotie n Stephanie, re dey not dsame religion?
Nija wud b a beta place if xtian n Muslim start gettin married 2 each oda, n d world wud b a paradise if blacks n white increases d ratio if getting married.

No one says to inter marry with religion, but MUST still be discussed
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jul 29, 2013
eagle,eye:

Please can you give us an example of those standards. Because I was once young and thought I would have settled years ago, but I am not even sure of doing it this year. irrespective of my earnings, I don't really lack money, so I wouldn't attribute my bachelorhood to lack of money.

Eyah, maybe you played away some chances.. people you should have taken seriosly were flung aside.

** following **
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Youngzedd(m): 3:06pm On Jul 29, 2013
Chai! I don read kuleee.

A lot of comprehension here.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by bukatyne(f): 3:06pm On Jul 29, 2013
DarryOsh: I like to think that i stil hav time on my side (early twenties) but i try to prepare. This marriage of a thing is a big deal! Sometimes it seems that one can never prepare enough. I have seen circumstances turn great marrriages into something else.

Because i believe that i am a very good man and whoever gets me is favoured, i have set high standards. A friend tells me my standards are unrelistic. Yet another friend (who is just like me in many regards) says otherwise. He believes that since i meet up with those high standard i deserve someone who also does. But its confusing......i believe in compromise but there are many things i dont want to compromise on. Lord help us all.

Dear DarryOsh,

Early 20's ain't too young to marry if you have the right person cheesy

Never believe that the standards you set for your wife to be are unrealistic if you can achieve them yourself.

You will be expected to compromise but never do on core values.

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jul 29, 2013
Fhemmmy:

No one says to inter marry with religion, but MUST still be discussed
check my 1st post, I quoted someone who included religion as one of d prerequisite of marriage.

As 4 wat must b discussed, its infinite
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jul 29, 2013
am not permitted to comment on this thread.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Fhemmmy: 3:12pm On Jul 29, 2013
ighoosagie: check my 1st post, I quoted someone who included religion as one of d prerequisite of marriage.
As 4 wat must b discussed, its infinite

Yes, i saw it but i am putting it to you that, it is still something to be discussed either open or close minded, cos the only thing that is constant is change
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by DollyParton1(f): 3:15pm On Jul 29, 2013
ighoosagie: wat abt okotie n Stephanie, re dey not dsame religion?
Nija wud b a beta place if xtianz n Muslizm start gettin married 2 each oda, n d world wud b a paradise if blackz n whitez increases d ratio if getting married.

You think that's the solution to world's problem. You are a genius.
Religious beliefs plays a big role in determing most people's personality and values.
So what do u do if those values and beliefs clash.
And when the kids come what religion are they brought up with.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by DarryOsh(m): 3:19pm On Jul 29, 2013
eagle,eye:

now that you asked, i realise puttin it in into words in more difficult than i thought. Well, i must say that i believe good peolpe(regardless of sex, age, race etc) are generally hard to come by.

My default impression of ladies is that they are are superficial. I mean, who says they cant b deep thinkers.....to lots of them fashion, and other superficial stuff are kind of priority. Just check out what a lot of them regard as entertainment. They dont wann see deep movies.no! They dont really aspire for much. So many just want a guy with money and feel pressured to go into retaionships and marriage jut for the sake of it.

Why are they scared to b alone. A lady leaves a relationship and cannot imagine being on her own for a while. She just jumps into another man's arms. Talk about independence. Its all about show-off (even their marriage and relationships). My friend who things i set my standards too high believes that is how ladies are supposed to b.

In short, most girls go into relationships with the mindset that they are going to 'take' rather than 'give'. I wouldnt want a nagging wife who believe i should do d work of making things 'work' because she is the lady and i am the man.

Now, from experience, those who seem to have the right mindset may have submission issues (i use the word submission in accordance with the bible).

And, oh, faith is one thing i cnt compromise. Not just by mouth, bt practicing it.

Ps: sometimes i wonder if i hold this beliefs because of my own environment. I must say that when i come on to nairaland and read posts by some ladies, i wonder how come i dont come in contact with these wonderful ones. Where the hell are they?

I have tried to put it in words.......
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jul 29, 2013
Marriage is all about the personality/mindsets of two adult individuals who has vowed to make it work at all cost (no gimmick no theory). ---------MATURITY.

There is no FORMULA not even DERIVATIVES to succeed in marriage. --------UNDERSTANDING

Finally as someone rightly said, FOUNDATION. The foundation/background of a partner determines the success level of his/her marriage. ------------GOD

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jul 29, 2013
Dolly-Parton:

You think that's the solution to world's problem. You are a genius.
Religious beliefs plays a big role in determing most people's personality and values.
So what do u do if those values and beliefs clash.
And when the kids come what religion are they brought up with.
u see , it wud b impossible for half cast children 2 b racist , same formula goes 2 religion.

I'm speaking frm experience, my dad atheist my mum Christian, we d children chooses wat we best fit in2, lik 2 of my brothers re atheist while myself n d oda re xtian .

By making dis real , we wud b raising a peace keepin generation n generations.
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 29, 2013
some people are one day, one trouble. pray that God delivers you from such a spouse. amen.

the greatest virtue in finding a spouse is patience. follow your heart and dont let anyone decide for you. i have seen parents, pastors or siblings choosing spouses for prople.

nah so the man go find me one ugly girl. i said God forbid.

its good to discuss but it is beyond discussion. i have even encountered someone saying that an agreement should be written and signed by both partners so that someone wont misbehave after marriage.

wetin be this ? nah business partnership.

just get an understamding person....
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by shirleywhyte(f): 3:30pm On Jul 29, 2013
@darryOsh, let's be friends... smiley

I think I like yo... undecided
Re: Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage by Fhemmmy: 3:31pm On Jul 29, 2013
ighoosagie: u see , it wud b impossible for half cast children 2 b racist , same formula goes 2 religion.

I'm speaking frm experience, my dad atheist my mum Christian, we d children chooses wat we best fit in2, lik 2 of my brothers re atheist while myself n d oda re xtian .

By making dis real , we wud b raising a peace keepin generation n generations.

And who told you that?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Was Punished, Ostracized For 20 Years For Marrying A White Lady: Aroms Aigbehi / He Hit Me, He Regrets It, I Deserved It / Serious Domestic Violence Taking Place In My Street, Help Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.