Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,250 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

Things To Consider Before Saying I Do - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Things To Consider Before Saying I Do (20547 Views)

She Cried Saying I Raped Her, Just Imagine! / 21 Questions To Ask Before Saying “I Do” / Ladies, Will You Consider His Surname Before Saying "Yes"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by wolajumoke(m): 2:09pm On Aug 04, 2013
1. Vision
Marry someone that believes strongly in your vision.The person doesn't need to do same profession like you. However the person MUST have kin interest in your vision. It will inspire you and help the two of you bond together in an unusual way.

2. Mutual respect
Does the person respect you, your opinion and family?
Do you feel free when you are with the person or you always have to pretend whenever you are together?
Does he/she abuse you physically or emotionally?
Is the person proud of you when you are in the company of others?
A marriage that has no mutual respect has a high tendency of break-up.

3. Friendship
Does the person inspire or motivate you?
When you marry your friend (someone with whom you understand each other and your spirit connect),chances are that you will enjoy living together as partner. When you and your close friend quarrel, you are quick to resolve it. That is how it should be also in marriage.

4. Avoid comparison
Never compare your husband with your father or ex. Same way, never compare your wife with your mother or sister. They are two different people. whenyou start comparing your partner or partner to-be, with someone else, you cannot be happy in such marriage. Whatever qualities you desire, go for someone that has it.

5. Manage your differences
Most times people want to marry someone like them. My recommendation is marry someone who is opposite of you (ie. Who has the qualities you are lacking). In that way you will be able to complement each other.

6. Mutual understanding
Your partner have different background, hence, both of you will see things differently.
Be willing to shift ground and your partner must be willing to do same .
If your partner truly loves you, he will not want to always have his way.
Be willing to learn his language, favourite game, eat his/her kind of food, dress in a way that appeal to his/her fantasy etc
.If your partner to-be always want to have his/her way in every discussion, watch it!

7. Truth and open communication

8. Genuine love
Can the person stay with you in bad times?
Does he/she love you for who you are or just because of sex, money or selfish purpose?
Do you enjoy staying with him/her?
Does he/she forgive when offended?
Wonderful marriage is not made of two perfect people but two forgivers

9. Testimony of others
What does other people feel or say about him/her?
Does your pastor, parent and friends approve of him/her.
When in love, there are many things we wouldn't see which is obvious to others.

10. God factor
Is the relationship based on God's principles or selfish motive?
Does your spirit agree with him or her?
Do you consult God who is the author of marriage?
If your marriage is good without God, I assure you, it will be best with him

Above all, learn from other peoples mistake and avoid repeating it.

SOURCE

40 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by Nobody: 6:48pm On Aug 04, 2013
Over four hours and no comment. This is a good research work.
I would have passed by it but the first point hit what most articles dont say. Vision is priceless. I pity a woman that marries just because of the emotion called love. Love would not put food on the table. Love would not buy things needed by the baby. Love would not put money in the pocket.
Love is a good factor for marriage. But we should not marry for it. A man with a vision; a man who has something to live for is scarce and priceless IMO.

14 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by Nobody: 6:57pm On Aug 04, 2013
This should have been in the romance section.
Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by mgbeketoto: 9:06pm On Aug 04, 2013
Easier WRITTEN than done!
No wonder people read HOLY BOOKS to solve minor problems!
MU CHE CHE CHE CHE CHE CHE

It beats me that some people will forever think MARRIAGE is a COOKBOOK. . . needing RECIPES! cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by Nobody: 9:10pm On Aug 04, 2013
mgbeketoto: Easier WRITTEN than done!
No wonder people read HOLY BOOKS to solve minor problems1
MU CHE CHE CHE CHE CHE CHE

It beats me that some people will forever think MARRIAGE is a COOKBOOK. . . needing RECIPES! cheesy
mr, the article up there is not about what to do in marriage but what to know before marriage. What do you even use to think?

4 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by mgbeketoto: 9:19pm On Aug 04, 2013
idnoble135:
mr, the article up there is not about what to do in marriage but what to know before marriage. What do you even use to think?

For your information. . .WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT MARRIAGE can ONLY BE LEARNED INSIDE MARRIAGE. . . .
No amount of preaching or LECTURES can prepare you for it. . .JUST LIKE CHILDBIRTH! kiss

. . . That is my POINT!
Thank you! kiss

4 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by Nobody: 9:41pm On Aug 04, 2013
mgbeketoto:

For your information. . .WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT MARRIAGE can ONLY BE LEARNED INSIDE MARRIAGE. . . .
No amount of preaching or LECTURES can prepare you for it. . .JUST LIKE CHILDBIRTH! kiss

. . . That is my POINT!
Thank you! kiss
chei! See illiteracy! Go back and read the article before you post. It is to enable you be sure of your soon to be spouse and not "what to know about marriage".
Some dudes sef are funny.
Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by mgbeketoto: 9:50pm On Aug 04, 2013
idnoble135:
chei! See illiteracy! Go back and read the article before you post. It is to enable you be sure of your soon to be spouse and not "what to know about marriage".
Some dudes sef are funny.

You have had your one post from me.
This is just a notice to inform you of MY INTENT TO IGNORE YOUR AZZZZE.
All the best! kiss
Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by Nobody: 9:54pm On Aug 04, 2013
^
Poor reasoning faculty? Good riddance!
Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 05, 2013
mgbeketoto: For your information. . .WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT MARRIAGE can ONLY BE LEARNED INSIDE MARRIAGE. . . .

. . . That is my POINT!
Thank you! kiss

I don't think you read the article. It's not about what to expect in marriage. The article discusses 10 aspects to consider about your partner before marrying him or her. There's no foolproof way to know if one is ready for marriage, but I would think that giving one's partner plenty of thought, knowing his or her strengths and weaknesses, and determining whether one's self and said partner can not only marry but make that marriage work is a good start.

Divorce rates are high and I personally believe that's due to people not knowing each other as much as they should have from the start. There's no such thing as too much knowledge, so kudos to the OP for highlighting some of the things people should take into consideration before jumping the broom.

8 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by Nobody: 8:08pm On Aug 05, 2013
^
Thanks. Some folks dont know about a thing but still try to argue. Em... I dropped a note on the romance complaints and suggestion thread. You seen it?
Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by Nobody: 8:19pm On Aug 05, 2013
Seen and replied. wink

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by free2ryhme: 10:34pm On Aug 05, 2013
ogugua88: Seen and replied. wink

as a non xtian how do you view the 1- 10

be specific!
Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by Nobody: 10:46pm On Aug 05, 2013
free2ryhme:

as a non xtian how do you view the 1- 10

be specific!
dont derail.
Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by Niyi47(m): 5:43am On Aug 06, 2013
Nice article. Thumps up.

3 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by amiskurie(m): 11:54am On Aug 06, 2013
no desperation and patiently waiting. cheesy
Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by yuzedo: 11:59am On Aug 06, 2013
huh?! op bro so i shoudnt considda big brezz big nyash + ice cream lap?? undecided after she considda my richness and hamdsom good look b4 she say yes to my toastin??!? u must be drinkin frozen goat juice!!! longggg hissssssssssss!!! angry angry angry angry angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by sammyyoung2(m): 12:00pm On Aug 06, 2013
embarassed embarassed (TOO LONG) embarassed embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by scientology(m): 12:00pm On Aug 06, 2013
Except the person is as intelligent as curiosity rover
Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by Beey(f): 12:00pm On Aug 06, 2013
Health status is an important factor. I recommend Bishop T.D.Jake's book,"Before you do".It's such an eye-opener.
Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by Nobody: 12:01pm On Aug 06, 2013
nice write up @op.
for d guys check ur job stability and pocket o.
marriage is not cheap esp in naija. wedding bills. inlaw bills baby bills, etc.. d list is endless. with God on our side we can.
while girls hmmmm...........fill d gap

3 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by Nobody: 12:01pm On Aug 06, 2013
Una hav cum again.
Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by MissYuzedo(f): 12:02pm On Aug 06, 2013
BANK ACCOUNT BALANCE...TENKS GOD FOR MAI YUZEDO
Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by dridowu: 12:03pm On Aug 06, 2013
Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by lanrefront1(m): 12:06pm On Aug 06, 2013
I strongly disagree with number 5 above:Managing your differences.

When people are like in likes, dislikes, tastes, preferences, and lifeztyle, it makes living together as a couple easier; more of joy and less of work. Being alike does notmean u would be alike in bad qualities, but in good qualities.

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by Nobody: 12:11pm On Aug 06, 2013
yuzedo: huh?! op bro so i shoudnt considda big brezz big nyash + ice cream lap?? undecided after she considda my richness and hamdsom good look b4 she say yes to my toastin??!? u must be drinkin frozen goat juice!!! longggg hissssssssssss!!! angry angry angry angry angry angry

My dear, you need to consider her physioglomy before all this english. Are you okay now.

If she isnt attractive to your eyes, then there is no need inviting her to your banana mansion.
Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by PStacks(m): 12:12pm On Aug 06, 2013
Very correct write up!

Vision. Vision is defined to be as far as you can see! Then translating this you see into picture so your patner can begin to picture your future together. You can never Feature in a Future you can't Picture..

Vision is key..

Asides that sha, I want a spend-thrift for a wife, always shopping and ready to travel the world.. I love to travel places.. My Vision is mind blowing sha..

It doesn't take any discipline to dream but it takes a lot of Discipline to make a dream come thru. Vision must be backed with Substance she can see not just day dreaming like one Billionaire boy on nairaland that would never make a million naira till he dies but uses Billionaire as his Nairaland Handle.. Ladies, You must be careful of Visions of such a Billionaire boy so you don't fall prey all in the name of vision.
Vision is different from Wishful thinking or Day dreaming.. That Billionaire boy on Nairaland is not only a day-dreamer but a wishful thinker with no vision on how to make his first Million not to talk'a Billion.. Beware of that boy, his Foolishness is highly contagious.

4 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:18pm On Aug 06, 2013
Very true.

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by yuzedo: 12:19pm On Aug 06, 2013
okpara ugo:

[size=16pt]My dear[/size], you need to consider her physioglomy before all this english. Are you okay now.

If she isnt attractive to your eyes, then there is no need inviting her to your banana mansion.
wuz dat? who is ur deer? MOD plis can u give dis gay alligaytor abouttttt 4yrs ban wit had labour. angry angry angry and get me my special iron pampers plis. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by Sicozone(m): 12:19pm On Aug 06, 2013
okay.....dz rules don dey too much o
Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by MAYOWAAK: 12:25pm On Aug 06, 2013
Marriage,the only institution in the entire world where certificates are awarded before gaining admission.

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider Before Saying I Do by firstolalekan(m): 12:27pm On Aug 06, 2013
h

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do Ladies Cry When The Man Ask "Will You Marry Me" / How Much Does An Average Nigerian Girl Have In Her Accounts? / Problems With Toasting A Lady In Midst Of Her Friends

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.