Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,971 members, 7,810,689 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:24 PM

Question For The Advocates Of Separation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Question For The Advocates Of Separation (3648 Views)

Dele Momodu One Of The Advocates For The Change We Have Today, Makes A U Turn;.. / 17 Senior Advocates Of Nigeria (SANs) Named / Femi Falana, Rotimi Jacobs, 23 Others Now Senior Advocates Of Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question For The Advocates Of Separation by maclatunji: 1:55pm On Aug 07, 2013
How would dividing Nigeria solve the problems its people face?
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by Deen4me(m): 5:32am On Aug 11, 2013
What do we currently gain from the current Modulus Operandi ?

2 Likes

Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by Onyegecha(f): 9:18am On Aug 11, 2013
The main problem the fake entity called Nigeria has is that nobody feels for it. We have our passions attached to our ethnic groups. A nation that does not have patriots is doomed to fail. Confirmed thieves are defended and pardoned simply because they are from this ethnic group or the other. This is Nigeria's greatest undoing- tribalism. Many things are stagnated by our forced union. None of the languages can be developed fully under the present arrangement. Tourism potentials, technological advancements, economic growth and a lot more will be better attended to when all the various components that make up the nations are allowed to exist on their own. There will be big challenges, but the things that bind each group together naturally will prevail.

7 Likes

Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by simpleseyi: 10:12am On Aug 11, 2013
How do you explain that ex-millitants from the president's ethnic region get 65,000 naira monthly for doing nothing and graduate NYSC members get 19,000 naira monthly, police get 25,000 naira upward e.t.c. What about a kleptomaniac president and his wife who use one million to eat per meal and his ethnic godfathers and godsons say "it is our oyel money".

Let us go our ways and everyone will go and develop his/her region. Awolowo developed SW just like Ahmadu Bello turned his people to Almajaris and Ojukwu lead his people to destruction through un-prepared civil war.
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by ojofu(m): 12:38pm On Aug 11, 2013
dividing nigeria will not solve anything rather it will create war without ending. are we saying that if we divide nigeria that corruption will stop, bribe in the offices and tribalism will stop, we will begin to have good leaders and fellowership nd people will stop celebrating convicted criminals, i dont beleive this. A Nation can not make it people great rather it is the people that will make it great. my point is, we can divide nigeria if we want but it will not solve anything because it is the people in a nation that makes it great, we are the problem of this nation and dividing the nation means dividing the problem into different groups.

1 Like

Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by Deen4me(m): 2:41pm On Aug 11, 2013
@ Topic

Dividing Nigeria will solve the impasse of issues regarding Federal Versus State Governments infrastructure Neglect and Decay across the country

It will also Raise the Standard of Education as we will not be subject to ridiculous entry scores based on Ministry of educations recommendations

Pubic offices will seem less attractive as Oyel money will not be available for all states (what you sow you reap)

States will forced to look for alternative income generating sources rather than depend on crude oil money from Federal coffers

The issue of Power supply will be better addressed as each state will have autonomy to generate power for her consumption. i.e Enron

The benefits are endless we just need to bite the bullet

1 Like

Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by maclatunji: 12:24am On Aug 15, 2013
ojofu: dividing nigeria will not solve anything rather it will create war without ending. are we saying that if we divide nigeria that corruption will stop, bribe in the offices and tribalism will stop, we will begin to have good leaders and fellowership nd people will stop celebrating convicted criminals, i dont beleive this. A Nation can not make it people great rather it is the people that will make it great. my point is, we can divide nigeria if we want but it will not solve anything because it is the people in a nation that makes it great, we are the problem of this nation and dividing the nation means dividing the problem into different groups.

You summarised my thoughts sir.
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by maclatunji: 12:29am On Aug 15, 2013
Deen4me: @ Topic

Dividing Nigeria will solve the impasse of issues regarding Federal Versus State Governments infrastructure Neglect and Decay across the country

It will also Raise the Standard of Education as we will not be subject to ridiculous entry scores based on Ministry of educations recommendations

Pubic offices will seem less attractive as Oyel money will not be available for all states (what you sow you reap)

States will forced to look for alternative income generating sources rather than depend on crude oil money from Federal coffers

The issue of Power supply will be better addressed as each state will have autonomy to generate power for her consumption. i.e Enron

The benefits are endless we just need to bite the bullet

With all of these potential "advantages" of going it alone for the major regions of Nigeria, why do we have a move towards West African integration via ECOWAS?
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by atlwireles: 12:40am On Aug 15, 2013
Breaking the country up will give us the new beginning we seek. USSR was a great country, but the Nations it birth are even greater. Look at the former Yugoslavia, even the Serbs today are happier. Nigeria is hell for all its people. The Yorubas will do better in their new country, the Hausa/Fulani, the middle betters, Igbos and the south south might even end up as 10 new countries. But their people will all be happier. Nigeria is not working for any of us. We should have enough courage to admit it.
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by IGBOSON1: 12:55am On Aug 15, 2013
maclatunji: How would dividing Nigeria solve the problems its people face?

^^^First enumerate our present problems as a country and you're halfway to answering your own question; and before you include corruption as one of them, i think we should agree that corruption in Nigeria is a symptom.....an effect and not a part cause of said problems!

Personally, i feel that if we can't run a proper (fiscal) federal structure or a confederation, then it's a case of to your tents oh Isreal!

1 Like

Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by IGBOSON1: 1:02am On Aug 15, 2013
atlwireles: Breaking the country up will give us the new beginning we seek. USSR was a great country, but the Nations it birth are even greater. Look at the former Yugoslavia, even the Serbs today are happier. Nigeria is hell for all its people. The Yorubas will do better in their new country, the Hausa/Fulani, the middle betters, Igbos and the south south might even end up as 10 new countries. But their people will all be happier. Nigeria is not working for any of us. We should have enough courage to admit it.

^^^Precisely! And when we form our own country, we'll see how we can get the best brains from others to compliment our own; for instance, we can poach Akinwunmi Adesina from the newly formed Oduduwa Republic to help revolutionise our agric sector! Hope i'm not sounding too cheeky? undecided
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by livingday: 2:19am On Aug 15, 2013
Onyegecha: The main problem the fake entity called Nigeria has is that nobody feels for it. We have our passions attached to our ethnic groups. A nation that does not have patriots is doomed to fail. Confirmed thieves are defended and pardoned simply because they are from this ethnic group or the other. This is Nigeria's greatest undoing- tribalism. Many things are stagnated by our forced union. None of the languages can be developed fully under the present arrangement. Tourism potentials, technological advancements, economic growth and a lot more will be better attended to when all the various components that make up the nations are allowed to exist on their own. There will be big challenges, but the things that bind each group together naturally will prevail.

Politics of tribalism! India, the largest democracy has over 300 tribes but is pulling as one just as China with numerous tribes! Both are two of the fastest developing countries. You will be hard put to find a one-tribe country anywhere in the world!
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by BlackPikiN(m): 3:08am On Aug 15, 2013
When Naija wins a soccer game, you will hear up naija everywhere on the internet as soon as the euphoria is over, Igbos go back to your jungle, Igbos you are the devil in Nigeria. Igbo and wayo.

If you feel you have the audacity to go your separate way, do it and receive the consequences from the Nigeria military.
declare you know fit but na to dey shout like nama all the time.
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by Deen4me(m): 3:11am On Aug 15, 2013
maclatunji:

With all of these potential "advantages" of going it alone for the major regions of Nigeria, why do we have a move towards West African integration via ECOWAS?

Its just like it's said, "Get Ur Sh*t Together"

Regional infrastructure will bring a lot more integration and commerce within the region, but that's where it stops short, ECOWAS integration will not help solve our local issues. Security,Power,Health,Trade etc

It is for us to develop our locality so that we can take advantage of what the ECOWAS integration will bring.

E.g The rail from Badagry , Okomaiko , Mile II, Orile etc will bring about easy of movement, promote commerce and trade, but
it will not provide security nor will it provide the regulatory framework for trade and commerce to flourish.

Bottom line is, Power concentration at the Federal Level is the cause of our present predicament. Decentralize and give states some of that autonomy , You will see the ones that will grow and ones that will collapse.

1 Like

Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by Nobody: 5:26am On Aug 15, 2013
MaximusDMeridux:

Send these ibos away for goodness sake who needs 10 M traders in the prosperous SW when we have industrialists and entrepreneurs who will create something from nothing! Carry your load and go black reptile, with a 40 M+ population of Yorubas in the SW, access to the whole world through Lagos coasts and airports, the entire West Africa markets up to and beyond Senegal, the new Brazil airline that flies direct into Lagos, access to a population of ~200 M of Yoruba ancestry, who needs trade with ibos selling fake spare parts and fake medicine! I say deport them quick and close our border! We will make access for the far eastern minorities and ND through a special corridor so our land is never accessed again by ibos! This people have really upset me and I am sure a lot of Yorubas!

The next Igbo you see on the street, slap him. I'm tired of this braggadocio I see online. Can you guys start something? Stop hiding online, ode. Why are you anonymous, post your face online if you are that brave, oloriburuku. Why don't you go and close the border yourself if dem born your entire lineage well, freaking gateman. Seems gateman is your family's profession. See him big mouth like close border. Tribal superman, rotflmao. People like you don't need any push to get upset over petty tribal tiffs, you are/were/have always been inherently tribalist.

6 Likes

Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by Tolexander: 5:39am On Aug 15, 2013
those agitating for the division of the nation are just myopic.

Very understandable that each nigerian is emotionally attached to its ethnic than his country. The only problem with nigeria is that we aren't practising the best form of government that suit us as a diversified nation.

How can a man keeping different species of birds together in the same cage and thinking he will be able to differentiate the voice of the individual specie?

Why i named the view of the secessionists myopic is that there are opportunities enjoyed as a united nigeria which will cease if the union cease. Cos none of the formed nations will treat the citizen from the other with priority.
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by dasparrow: 6:07am On Aug 15, 2013

Read the below statement by Jigawa governor and you have your answer:

"Agreeing with President Jonathan that Nigeria cannot break, he said: “It is too weak to break. Who will break it? The ordinary person in Jigawa or the ordinary person in Sokoto or the ordinary person in Bayelsa?
“Is it the Ibo vulcaniser or the Yoruba woman that is selling kerosene by the roadside or the Okada man in Delta?
“They don’t have the capacity to unite because they are burdened by poverty. We have taken away from them their dignity, their self esteem, their pride and self worth so that they cannot even organise.
“Up there, we (elite) unite, we sing and so we will never allow Nigeria to break because once it breaks, we will lose.
“But the common man loses nothing. What is he losing? He is already living in hell; he cannot lose anything more than this hell.
"
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by eaglechild: 6:34am On Aug 15, 2013
A country puts more emphasis on tribe than merit can never work.
- A country that will rather admit someone with a score of 2 and leave another with a score of 130 is headed for destruction.
- A country that will rather recruit illiterates into its armed forces for uniformity sake can never work
-A country that deports its citizens can never work.
-A country whose states cannot employ non indegenes is just a joke.
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by maclatunji: 7:38am On Aug 15, 2013
Deen4me:

Its just like it's said, "Get Ur Sh*t Together"

Regional infrastructure will bring a lot more integration and commerce within the region, but that's where it stops short, ECOWAS integration will not help solve our local issues. Security,Power,Health,Trade etc

It is for us to develop our locality so that we can take advantage of what the ECOWAS integration will bring.

E.g The rail from Badagry , Okomaiko , Mile II, Orile etc will bring about easy of movement, promote commerce and trade, but
it will not provide security nor will it provide the regulatory framework for trade and commerce to flourish.

Bottom line is, Power concentration at the Federal Level is the cause of our present predicament. Decentralize and give states some of that autonomy , You will see the ones that will grow and ones that will collapse.

Then it seems what Nigeria needs is restructuring not a break-up.
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by maclatunji: 7:50am On Aug 15, 2013
atlwireles: Breaking the country up will give us the new beginning we seek. USSR was a great country, but the Nations it birth are even greater. Look at the former Yugoslavia, even the Serbs today are happier. Nigeria is hell for all its people. The Yorubas will do better in their new country, the Hausa/Fulani, the middle betters, Igbos and the south south might even end up as 10 new countries. But their people will all be happier. Nigeria is not working for any of us. We should have enough courage to admit it.

What people with your opinion seem not to understand is that there are issues that would be amplified with Nigeria's division like:

1. Where would the middle-belt fall?

2. What about the millions of Yoruba for example who are not geographically located in what is supposed to be their region, the Southwest?

3. The recent conflicts between Anambra/Kogi states and Cross River/Akwa Ibom show that when it comes to dividing boundaries and resources, we would have serious problems that are likely to lead to war. Look at Ethiopia/Eritrea and to a lesser extent Sudan/South Sudan.

4. Then, there is the problem of millions of Nigerians becoming aliens overnight if the country is divided.
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by WilyiWily: 8:44am On Aug 15, 2013
ojofu: dividing nigeria will not solve anything rather it will create war without ending. are we saying that if we divide nigeria that corruption will stop, bribe in the offices and tribalism will stop, we will begin to have good leaders and fellowership nd people will stop celebrating convicted criminals, i dont beleive this. A Nation can not make it people great rather it is the people that will make it great. my point is, we can divide nigeria if we want but it will not solve anything because it is the people in a nation that makes it great, we are the problem of this nation and dividing the nation means dividing the problem into different groups.
Diving Nigeria will solve a lot of thing, managing of problems will be easier. Nigeria is already dead waiting for the burial date. Thank God
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by Tolexander: 8:51am On Aug 15, 2013
show us how the countries that formed the defunct USSR are better than the USSR!
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by Nobody: 9:55am On Aug 15, 2013
Onyegecha: The main problem the fake entity called Nigeria has is that nobody feels for it. We have our passions attached to our ethnic groups. A nation that does not have patriots is doomed to fail. Confirmed thieves are defended and pardoned simply because they are from this ethnic group or the other. This is Nigeria's greatest undoing- tribalism. Many things are stagnated by our forced union. None of the languages can be developed fully under the present arrangement. Tourism potentials, technological advancements, economic growth and a lot more will be better attended to when all the various components that make up the nations are allowed to exist on their own. There will be big challenges, but the things that bind each group together naturally will prevail.

Nne di nma, ndewo!

Thanks a million times!

Nigeria is not one, was never one and will never be one.

the ethnic/religious divide is too wide to be compressed.
The sooner Nigeria splits, the better for all of us.

@OP, there can be 5 nations:

1. Biafra (of course my beloved nation)
2. Odua
3. Niger Delta
4. Middle Belt
5. Arewa (which will be forced to become Islamic as soon as it is inaugurated)

It will not cause any war more than the ones we have now. Just last week, there was "war" in Imo state, where Fulani's killed villagers over their own farm. Split Nigeria and Fulani's can not enter without Visa.

Yes, splitting Nigeria will deal a blow to corruption because criminals will no longer be shielded with ethnic/religious under tones.

I remember that both late Okadigbo and Naaba where guilty of obtaining money through the back door.
OBJ was bent on nailing them, the North stood behind Naaba and "saved" him. Okadigbo was axed because South East did not give a dalm.

Nigeria is dragging us backwards.

In Biafra, we shall jaw-jaw with China in terms of industrialization and we shall march dubai with commerce and trade.
We shall take the world cup at the first appearance and make Africa proud by proofing to the whole world that the black race is not cursed.

Nigeria is a slave camp of the white man. We want our freedom!!!!!!!

Emm, Ebuka! Ebuak!! Ebuka!!!
Ngwa, attention!!!!

Sing our National Anthem for me.
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by Deen4me(m): 10:19am On Aug 15, 2013
maclatunji:

Then it seems what Nigeria needs is restructuring not a break-up.

Its gonna be a chain reaction, think about it

I . States have autonomy for power generation and distribution

II. Autonomy of control over resources in their states eg oil, bitumen,gold etc

III. States also have autonomy over Police and courts, state laws etc

Mac, What do you think will hold us together when all these rights have been given to individual states ,Certainly not the Unity in diversity crap.

I can guaranty you once states have these powers , Its all man for himself.

I am not necessarily advocating for splitting up, but as Mr Smith will say "it is inevitable".

My 2 Kobo
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by maclatunji: 10:52am On Aug 15, 2013
Deen4me:

Its gonna be a chain reaction, Think about it

I . States have autonomy for power generation and distribution

II. Autonomy of control over resources in their states eg oil, bitumen,gold etc

III. States also have autonomy over Police and courts, state laws etc

Mac, What do you think will hold us together when all these rights have been given to individual states ,Certainly not Unity in diversity crap.

I can guaranty you once states has these powers , Its all man for himself.

I am not necessarily advocating for splitting up, but as Mr Smith will say "it is inevitable".

My 2 Kobo

@bolded, not necessarily. The central government in a decentralised state though weak (in theory) is focused more on national defence and foreign policy. Why can't that happen in Nigeria? Nigerians seem to be able to manage their differences in sports and entertainment. It should not be too difficult to have a largely unified military to defend the country from external aggression and a foreign policy to protect the interest of most Nigerians irrespective of tribe.
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 10:54am On Aug 15, 2013
Dividing Nigeria will be better so that U and the north will have a pure islamic state
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by Beaf1: 10:58am On Aug 15, 2013
noblezone:

Nne di nma, ndewo!

Thanks a million times!

2. Odua
3. Niger Delta
4. Middle Belt

It will not cause any war more than the ones we have now. Just last week, there was "war" in Imo state, where Fulani's killed villagers over their own farm. Split Nigeria and Fulani's can not enter without Visa.

Yes, splitting Nigeria will deal a blow to corruption because criminals will no longer be shielded with ethnic/religious under tones.

I remember that both late Okadigbo and Naaba where guilty of obtaining money through the back door.
OBJ was bent on nailing them, the North stood behind Naaba and "saved" him. Okadigbo was axed because South East did not give a dalm.

In Biafra, we shall jaw-jaw with China in terms of industrialization and we shall march dubai with commerce and trade.
We shall take the world cup at the first appearance and make Africa proud by proofing to the whole world that the black race is not cursed.

Ngwa, attention!!!!

^
We know your pain.
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by maclatunji: 10:58am On Aug 15, 2013
noblezone:

Nne di nma, ndewo!

Thanks a million times!

2. Odua
3. Niger Delta
4. Middle Belt

Ngwa, attention!!!!

With all due respect, the bolded seems more like the figment of your imagination. Look at Anambra state for example, the number of gubernatorial candidates within the PDP (19 as at my last time I heard) alone is dazzling. Imagine if they were contesting for the position of President, it would be something bigger than what we currently have. The crisis that rocked APGA for years and the divisions within the Ohaneze Ndigbo are other pointers to the fact that an independent "Igbo" state may not benefit its people as much as you claim. I could make similar arguments for other tribes as well.
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by NewAlfa: 11:02am On Aug 15, 2013

It will solve my singular problem of sharing the same passport and country with some of the most hated/ignoble/abhorrent tribes on earth.
Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by Nobody: 11:31am On Aug 15, 2013
maclatunji:

With all due respect, the bolded seems more like the figment of your imagination. Look at Anambra state for example, the number of gubernatorial candidates within the PDP (19 as at my last time I heard) alone is dazzling. Imagine if they were contesting for the position of President, it would be something bigger than what we currently have. The crisis that rocked APGA for years and the divisions within the Ohaneze Ndigbo are other pointers to the fact that an independent "Igbo" state may not benefit its people as much as you claim. I could make similar arguments for other tribes as well.

Imagination is the key to industrial revolution. Men that dream change the world. No one ever thought that man could land on the moon, until a man imagined it. This is the bane of African slavery. We forfeited the power of imagination and allow the whiteman to imagine for us. It is a shame.

We are dreaming big dreams for Biafra.

As for the number of aspirants, I can tell you that it is a pointer to our powerful political heritage!
We are a people that inherited equal rights from our fore fathers. Money or no money, every one have a say.
The number of the aspirants is not the issue as eventually only one will emerge. Then that one that emerges will know indeed that power belongs to the people and God. It's unlike what you have in Nigeria where people are anointed from Abuja. OBJ anointed Andy Uba to rule Anambra and that is what we call it internal colonisation.

Let hundred people contest, then we can pick the best if only elections will be free and fair.

We are busy talking to our people, winning votes for Soludo yet some people will be busy planning on how to rig elections.

Did up say APGA and Ohaneze crises? In any healthy society, there must be disagreements and oppositions. It is left for the masses to judge who is on their side.

Nigeria has not benefited us in anyway! Nigeria has given us nothing else but "blood"!
Let us have Biafra and face our destiny. If we fail, don't sympathize with us.

5 Likes

Re: Question For The Advocates Of Separation by DerideGull(m): 11:39am On Aug 15, 2013
Brilliancy without discipline amounts to dunce. Country which does not entice patriotism among its populace is less than a jungle. Mere sense of patriotism will eradicate certain social decadence without prosecutorial risk.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Do you know Who killed Ambrose Ali? history Re-visited / Achievements of the Man who is said to be "Clueless". / Femi Fani-kayode The Paedophile,cocaine Addict.....video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.