Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,898 members, 7,821,127 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 (24535 Views)

Are Nigerians Criminals? Statistics Of Nigerian Prisoners In Britain. - Pic / INEC Releases Statistics Of PVC Collected In All 36 States And FCT / Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by aljharem(m): 12:36pm On Sep 02, 2013
When will this fight for Lagos end.

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by ichidodo: 12:37pm On Sep 02, 2013
anonimi:

Before before when exactly

- Adam & Eve's creation, as in Lagos is the Garden of Eden
or
- the point in evolution when primates became men
The point bini warlords traded yoruba slaves to d 'portuma' (portuguese slavers) for niceties.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 12:37pm On Sep 02, 2013
ichidodo: Is it that you dont have my answer? Are you trully a lagosian? Then how can you not answer but drop names and numbers? Dont you know your history?
who is this one ? Mr man what kind of life is this u ar living ? This tread is about yoruba/lagos history particularly 'can't u stay mute to learn ? And the funny things is many of u e-warrors ranting lagos no mans land may have never knew the color of lastma uniform to talk of being to the lagos' I pity many of yoh!

4 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by aljharem(m): 12:38pm On Sep 02, 2013
anonimi:

Before before when exactly

- Adam & Eve's creation, as in Lagos is the Garden of Eden
or
- the point in evolution when primates became men

Very silly analogy. So there were no people during Adam's era ? I suggest you go read your Bible well
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:38pm On Sep 02, 2013
ichidodo: To prove my notion, what is d name of the area @ which his palace is located, is it a yoruba name or a bini name? If it is d former eko belongs to d yorubas but if it is d latter then Eko is nobody's land.
Nonsense. BTW, are you the same person as Billyonaire? You never make sense.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by baqina(m): 12:39pm On Sep 02, 2013
in other news, a nigerian is now member of parliament in Poland.

2 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by ichidodo: 12:40pm On Sep 02, 2013
Ola def2: who is this one ? Mr man what kind of life is this u ar living ? This tread is about yoruba/lagos history particularly 'can't u stay mute to learn ? And the funny things is many of u e-warrors ranting lagos no mans land may have never knew the color of lastma uniform to talk of being to the lagos' I pity many of yoh!
Learn what? To learn how to manipulate contemporary history to sooth your insecured souls, thanx but no thanx.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by teetee123: 12:42pm On Sep 02, 2013
olu_kenzo :

I don't mean no harm. These things happened before any of us were born and one thing I have come to discover is that, different people bear different accounts of such events. Usually, the most flowery about them and theirs.

More so, a logical perusal of your account in bold, corroborates my point.

Egbas and Ijebus are brothers from different mothers. The Ijebus actually had upper hand in the early days when the Egbas were in the homestead and living far apart from each other but couldnt intimidate the Egbas when they came together in Abeokuta. The Ikijas in Abeokuta have some similar tribal marks as the Ijebus. The Owus also have many similarities with the Ijebus. The war that scattered the Egbas actually started with the Owus being attacked by the Ijebus because of an incidence at Akesan market. Egba meji ki jaran won ni yon, Bawa.
Ijebu omo alaren.
This thread is making me home sick. Come to think of it,some funny guys are telling us what is the essence of this thread.
ANSWER - My kids should know their origin and know their ancestors were not cowards as being alluded in some quarters.

Lagos mainland has always been place where other Yorubas have lands. My great grand mother family who is mixed Ijebu /Egba owned farm land in the Berger -Maryland axis. A friend of mine whose father was a king in Ikeja LGA is an Egba.
The Lagos Island ie Eko may have some trace to the Binis who used some of the outlying parts for fishing.

4 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Damsman10(m): 12:43pm On Sep 02, 2013
berem: This thread is all about the Yoruba and their colonies no doubt! I expect you as an Odua son which you claim to be, to add positive and meaningful contributions to the thread.

This thread is an educative one for Yorubas and non yorubas. Please stop displaying your outright stoopidity and stay on topic. If you still don't have anything to say, waka comot for the thread let people who have their brains stuck in their skull comment. wink
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by ichidodo: 12:44pm On Sep 02, 2013
Orlando Owoh:
Nonsense. BTW, are you the same person as Billyonaire? You never make sense.
Leave matter for Mathias.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 12:45pm On Sep 02, 2013
ichidodo: Learn what? To learn how to manipulate contemporary history to sooth your insecured souls, thanx but no thanx.
how irrelevant u ar on the tread then!

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by oduason: 12:49pm On Sep 02, 2013
ichidodo: To prove my notion, what is d name of the area @ which his palace is located, is it a yoruba name or a bini name? If it is d former eko belongs to d yorubas but if it is d latter then Eko is nobody's land.
ichidodo the bird,the name of the palace of the oba of lagos is IGA IDUNGARAN. Does this name look like benin.

IGA derives from the Oyo/Ife Yoruba language GAA meaning Royal Home or Palace,IDUN means land, place orsound of while IGANRAN is the Yorubaword for pepper. Iga Idunganran therefore translates to mean the palace built on a pepper farm, Aromire having used the land previously as a farm.

5 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by ichidodo: 12:49pm On Sep 02, 2013
Ola def2: how irrelevant u ar on the tread then!
Whatever.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by anonimi: 12:50pm On Sep 02, 2013
alj harem:

Very silly analogy. So there were no people during Adam's era ? I suggest you go read your Bible well

I posted based on what I read in the bible.
Maybe you can post what the Quran says about it so I can review and revise my post as necessary.
Thanks.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by maclatunji: 12:52pm On Sep 02, 2013
bittyend: Why do dunderheads always feel the need to attribute Lagos to Benin? Do I need to remind you nutjobs that the few Edos that settled in Lagos, settled in Lagos Island which is like 1/200th of Lagos and that they came there by request not conquest? And they also don't own anything where they settled?

Even the Oba of Lagos won't say this. You should look for his comments when he visited Benin.

2 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by solinho(m): 12:54pm On Sep 02, 2013
[quote author=bloggernaija]Thank you o jare.
Even today ,the numbers will be approaching closer to 80 % .nonsense
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 12:59pm On Sep 02, 2013
anonimi:

I posted based on what I read in the bible.
Maybe you can post what the Quran says about it so I can review and revise my post as necessary.
Thanks.
olodo u don't even study ur bible to the point to show urself approve' I wonder who use to argue with ur set and mind u' don't quote anything u can't back from the scripture
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by ichidodo: 1:01pm On Sep 02, 2013
odua son: ichidodo the bird,the name of the palace of the oba of lagos is IGA IDUNGARAN. Does this name look like benin.

IGA derives from the Oyo/Ife Yoruba language GAA meaning Royal Home or Palace,IDUN means land, place orsound of while IGANRAN is the Yorubaword for pepper. Iga Idunganran therefore translates to mean the palace built on a pepper farm, Aromire having used the land previously as a farm.
It took you more than 30 mins to answer my question maybe it was long enough to do some manipulation.'IDUN' IS NOT LAND OR PLACE IN YORUBA, YOU BLOODY LIAR! Since you are not saying the truth could you be covering up something? Could 'idu' be a name for land in bini language?

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 1:02pm On Sep 02, 2013
teetee123:

Egbas and Ijebus are brothers from different mothers. The Ijebus actually had upper hand in the early days when the Egbas were in the homestead and living far apart from each other but couldnt intimidate the Egbas when they came together in Abeokuta. The Ikijas in Abeokuta have some similar tribal marks as the Ijebus. The Owus also have many similarities with the Ijebus. The war that scattered the Egbas actually started with the Owus being attacked by the Ijebus because of an incidence at Akesan market. Egba meji ki jaran won ni yon, Bawa.
Ijebu omo alaren.
This thread is making me home sick. Come to think of it,some funny guys are telling us what is the essence of this thread.
ANSWER - My kids should know their origin and know their ancestors were not cowards as being alluded in some quarters.

They're virtually inseparable. Healthy competition is okay if it does not go beyond that. I love my egba people and their accent. I schooled there, infact.

I couldn't have said it better. My people say: "odo ttoba gbabgbe orisun re yio gbe!"

Never forget your origin. I'm the. son of warriors, merchants, great arts men, people who stood toe to toe with the whitemen some of us now cower in front of. Ranti omo eni to iwo n se.

please bring my nephews and nieces home. E kabo o!

3 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Jobos(m): 1:10pm On Sep 02, 2013
omonnakoda:
No this is not true. The Colony of Lagos refers to Lagos Island,Ikoyi Victoria Island up to Ebute Metta. In fact it does not cover the whole of Lagos State as we know it today.
I suggest you read this ;
http://libsysdigi.library.illinois.edu/ilharvest/Africana/Books2011-05/3064634/3064634_1898_lagos/3064634_1898_lagos_opt.pdf

e.g There are significant parts of Lagos State today e.g Epe.Ikorodu that were and still are Ijebu territory.These were part of the Western Region after independence,added to Lagos State in 1967 and were never part of the FEDERAL CAPITAL.
The British produced annual reports on THE COLONY OF LAGOS such as this one in `1898 but I do not have time now to paste images of the report.Any one who has time can help us or even create a thread.
After establishing the Colony of Lagos in 1861 the British sought to trade with the rest of Yorubaland but faced obstruction from the Ijebus and eventually subdued them militarily in 1892 as they did with other parts of the interior
.These were generally referred to as the "Protectorate of the Western Province" and then The Colony and Protectorate of Western Province . Ilaro e.g was subdued in 1893,Ilorin in 1897 etc.

The Colony of Lagos came about by an entirely different Treaty agreement to that with other places in Yorubaland(Protectorate}

If the British had not conquered the Ijebus in 1891 I do not see how an 1891 Census could be referring to SW Nigeria
"They that do not learn from history will repeat it" - McNamara
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by prettyprecy(f): 1:31pm On Sep 02, 2013
bittyend: Why do dunderheads always feel the need to attribute Lagos to Benin? Do I need to remind you nutjobs that the few Edos that settled in Lagos, settled in Lagos Island which is like 1/200th of Lagos and that they came there by request not conquest? And they also don't own anything where they settled?

U r too dull 4 my liking go nd read books nd ask question lemme burst ur bubbles Eko ȋ̝̊̅§ bini word 4 camp oshodi ȋ̝̊̅§ a benin word Idumota ȋ̝̊̅§ a benin word nd also etiosa. Go nd read nau

2 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by oduason: 1:31pm On Sep 02, 2013
ichidodo: It took you more than 30 mins to answer my question maybe it was long enough to do some manipulation.'IDUN' IS NOT LAND OR PLACE IN YORUBA, YOU BLOODY LIAR! Since you are not saying the truth could you be covering up something? Could 'idu' be a name for land in bini language?
source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iga_Idunganran?seg=1
unless u have another souce disputing what i posted before ur claim remains bogus and unverified

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by ichidodo: 1:37pm On Sep 02, 2013
odua son: ichidodo the bird,the name of the palace of the oba of lagos is IGA IDUNGARAN. Does this name look like benin.

This yoruba man want to wayo mi, emi Omoigbo ( igbo boi). idugaran, is a place of pepper in Bini tongue.I don't blame you because we are in a faceless forum you think you can lie your way into making us not believe Lagos is a no man's land baa?

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by bakynes(m): 1:41pm On Sep 02, 2013
Pple like Ichidodo and his fellow igbos knows who lagos belongs to.He is just trying to annoy you guys here.Free him let him keep ranting.

2 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by oduason: 1:45pm On Sep 02, 2013
ichidodo: This yoruba man want to wayo mi, emi Omoigbo ( igbo boi). idugaran, is a place of pepper in Bini tongue.I don't blame you because we are in a faceless forum you think you can lie your way into making us not believe Lagos is a no man's land baa?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iga_Idunganran?seg=1

I repeat unless you have another source supporting your claims,it still remains bogus and unverified.

2 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by ichidodo: 1:52pm On Sep 02, 2013
odua son: source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iga_Idunganran?seg=1
unless u have another souce disputing what i posted before ur claim remains bogus and unverified
What source is better than the mouth of an Omoluabi to translate the meaning of land (ile in yoruba) pepper (atta) How does that translates to idugaran?.Are you trying to deny your language in place of wikipedia? So it had to take wikipedia to educate you on some aspect of your origins, something an omoigbo already has knowledge of by far.Just conceed Lagos doesn't belong to anybody,since you need wikipedia to tell you about your origins or better still Eko belongs to wikipedia.

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by fr3do(m): 1:55pm On Sep 02, 2013
Adm. Yamamoto:
Crying and gnashing of teeth is coming soon from the East, the Niger side cry babies! No need to mention names but notice that the Hausa and Benin who were recorded to have been or near the Yoruba SW at the time of this publications will not cry. Going to work and home is different for them, they love their lands so much that if gold were to grow from the ground anywhere else they may grab some but still want only their lands. The Benin, some of them cousins of the Yorubas, were there too, enjoy and contribute to the progress of our lands, it doesn't mean they are ready to pass-up their own inheritance, their lands just east of the Yoruba SW. But the cry babies, they hate their land, they would do anything to get the lands of others. It is time we tell them the truth and that they are no longer wanted!

as if cry babies are stealing land and not buying them.
Pathetic.

2 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Bizibi(m): 2:05pm On Sep 02, 2013
So if another state is developed some people from other tribe will claim it is a no man's land,people dey oh but if warri develop no claim say na no man's land oh
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by ichidodo: 2:06pm On Sep 02, 2013
bakynes: Pple like Ichidodo and his fellow igbos knows who lagos belongs to.He is just trying to annoy you guys here.Free him let him keep ranting.
But i caught him on a lie.How does that cause annoyance when some folks cook up stories just to change their history.

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by anonimi: 2:14pm On Sep 02, 2013
odua son: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iga_Idunganran?seg=1

I repeat unless you have another source supporting your claims,it still remains bogus and unverified.

Interesting quote from the wikipedia source for those laying claim that Lagos belongs to "their ANCESTORS"

The ancient tombs

All the Obas of Lagos before Oba Akintoye are buried in Benin City.

Those who want to continue dwelling on whether na dem Adam ancestor be owner of Lagos wey come turn dem garden of Eden are free to do so.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by jadakiss213(m): 2:21pm On Sep 02, 2013
ShymmexLion: We definitely need Kats, Dudu_negro, Terracotta and maybe aribisala/omonnkoda on this thread. grin
dem nor get work ne
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 02, 2013
anonimi:

Interesting quote from the wikipedia source for those laying claim that Lagos belongs to "their ANCESTORS"

Those who want to continue dwelling on whether na dem Adam ancestor be owner of Lagos wey come turn dem garden of Eden are free to do so.

Baby, its logical that even if I were to be the one seeing the TRUE history of some other people's land that arent of my people, i cant but get mad & embarassed at their history, BUT can only help matters, to some extent, by saying what is not to cover up the shame/jealousy burning up inside me. grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Buhari Has Turned Governance To Nollywood —fayose / TY Danjuma Raises Alarm Over Plans To Rig 2019 Elections . / Tony Elumelu Commissions Aisha Buhari Foundation Maternity Complex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.