Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,924 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:39 PM

What Happened To Tinapa? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Happened To Tinapa? (26668 Views)

Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! / Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? / Donald Duke: A Fraud Or Visionary? (Tinapa) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by nejifresh(m): 9:22am On Sep 04, 2013
solomon111: it is not dead.
Tinapa is beginning to generate revenues and with time the ROI will grow.
The last NBA meeting was held in tinapa and they were so impressed with the place that they promise to keep holding their programmes there,which means more money for the state govt.
Various music and movie studios are also opening in tinapa along other things.

My brother don't mind the guy. He's ignorant. Currently in order to jumpstart business activities, the state gov is building cluster services around tinapa. One of them is the Calabar International Convention Centre(CICC). This edifice will be the first of its kind in Nigeria. I hear its opening up in 2014. I recently attended an IT conference in South Korea and we stayed at the ICC there. It beats any hotel experience hands down. This is what the present State Gov is trying to build. I give kudos to Liyel Imoke's government. Despite the paucity of funds he's still managed to keep the ship afloat. Imagine what Cross River would have been like if they had the funds available to Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom etc.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by Idongesit619(m): 9:26am On Sep 04, 2013
@Op, go and sleep..U don't any thing about TINAPA.
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by Sagamite(m): 9:28am On Sep 04, 2013
Some funny people thought that having a tourist location where it can take people up to 20 hours to get to, only to find it sub-standard with little-to-no exciting tourism features and kidnapping is a possibility, but yet it is impeccably expensive, was a great tourism idea.

What a joke!!!
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by Nobody: 9:30am On Sep 04, 2013
Tinapa is not dead. The issue here is the governor (Liyel Imoke) who isn't making any positive step to ensure that it remains successful. If Donald Duke was still the governor of CRS, I don't think such a thread would have been created.
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by Nobody: 9:31am On Sep 04, 2013
nejifresh:

My brother don't mind the guy. He's ignorant. Currently in order to jumpstart business activities, the state gov is building cluster services around tinapa. One of them is the Calabar International Convention Centre(CICC). This edifice will be the first of its kind in Nigeria. I hear its opening up in 2014. I recently attended an IT conference in South Korea and we stayed at the ICC there. It beats any hotel experience hands down. This is what the present State Gov is trying to build. I give kudos to Liyel Imoke's government. Despite the paucity of funds he's still managed to keep the ship afloat. Imagine what Cross River would have been like if they had the funds available to Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom etc.
Seems all current pdp governors haff thier nairaland defenders lol una weldone
nuf said.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by cecegorz(m): 9:33am On Sep 04, 2013
Tinapa! Oh Tinapa.
I was in that estate at two different times last year and this was the same question I was asking everybody I met there.
I was appalled that T mart, their equivalent of Shoprite mall was virtually empty with outdated stock of goods, the whole stores area too was a ghost town forcing the few banks within the environment to all close down.
The only thing going on at the facility as it were was the Tinapa resort, a worthy 4 star facility which I thoroughly enjoyed. Prompt room service with dedicated staff that truly cared for my comfort.
Their buffet was simply delicious, I had my first and only taste of the famous 'ikpa nkukwo' there.
Finally, still not comfortable at how such a colossal project was left to rot away, I engaged the Tinapa AGM on a lengthy discussion, at the end of the day, it boiled down to the economic politics that cripples every other thing in Nigeria. Unimplemented policies from Abuja that was supposed to power the project was abandoned.

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:35am On Sep 04, 2013
Problems of TINAPA

1. Continuity: It feels like Liyel Imoke has no idea what Donal Duke was trying to achieve with Tinapa, so he doesnt even know how to continue it.

2. Poor Lobbying: TINAPA is supposed to be a Duty Free Port.. Problem is that Calabar already has a port that is very under utilized. For TINAPA to grow, Liyel needs to carry out some serious Lobbying in Abuja & Lagos to divert ships from Lagos - Calabar for Calabar port to see some action. I have a strong feeling that the life of Calabar port and TINAPA are tied together.. Their survival is dependent on each other.

3. LIYEL is a person: Yes I said it. Cross Rivers State was alive under Donald Duke. The only thing that LIyel seems to have continued from the Duke era is the Calabar Canival. The Canival|TINAPA|Obudu|& Calabar Tourism are all tied together in one big package. Go to Calabar and see how all the legacies left by Donald Duke have all rotted. examples include;

- TINAPA: Its a mere shadow of what it oughts to be.

- Obudu Cattle Ranch: A place that costs over 100,000 Naira a night to lodge in and yet does not have 24hr power supply. Parts imported by duke for further works can be seen in containers littered all over the ranch.

- Marina Resort: I wept. I swear I wept when I saw Marina resort last month. Apart from the new Cinema that is there now, the rest of Marina resort is dead.

- Calabar Canival: The darn thing is a mere shadow of what it used to be like under Donald Duke.

- Calabar City: The Hype of the town is dead. Looks like a ghost town now. Infact, I doubt you can spot one new addition to the town done by Liyel.

WORD OF THE GODS::TINAPA has entered into the large Nigerian Black book of White Elephant Projects.

God Save Cross Rivers State..

7 Likes

Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by decrox199(m): 9:39am On Sep 04, 2013
Tinapa remains the best choice destination for tourist be it local or int'l..I was there last december n I cnt but acknowledge the high maintenance over dia despite itz low patronage..God bless Donald duke..dat place is indeed a wonderful haven..I was even tinkn m out of Nigeria..chk my profile px
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by naptu2: 9:39am On Sep 04, 2013
Railway
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by Nobody: 9:40am On Sep 04, 2013
mikelreal: Seems all current pdp governors haff thier nairaland defenders lol una weldone
nuf said.
[color=#006600][quote author=mikelreal]
ah ha! So this is about PDP? Haba Nigerians! For Christ sake haba! Why must we politicize everytin? I am a cross riverian and i hate imoke with every cell in me moreso for letting akpabio use im head but evrytime i enter tinapa i can help but thank God that am in cross river and am from cross river...so dude go and play that politics game wit the igbos 4 i wn go shopping
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by Lordlexy: 9:42am On Sep 04, 2013
Well, the most important thing is that the project is already a reality and gradually it will pick up. Dubai didn't become a destination over night. More of those conferences, national events like somebody said, is a good way to start in getting ppl to have a 1st hand test of what it looks like.
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by Nobody: 9:48am On Sep 04, 2013
Nigeria probably happened to it.

Anything Nigeria touches turns to failure!!

I watched the video of that place a few years and it's definitely a place to visit and one of the wonders of Nigeria, as a lover of nature. However, Nigeria is a dream killer and the people aren't progressive.

You don't even need foreigners to patronise the place. All the Nigerian mistake-billionaires/millionaires alone are enough to make it thrive. However, trust Nigerians to rather go waste stolen monies in rubbish countries than invest in their own! undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by Caduceus: 9:51am On Sep 04, 2013
U ask what happened to it?? SMH
END TIME THINGS NA!
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by Thebrightest(m): 9:53am On Sep 04, 2013
Just passing by...
__/""""|""""\_____
|__/@\____/@\___|%
DRIVER DROP ME HERE!!!

3 Likes

Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by Sagamite(m): 9:58am On Sep 04, 2013
Okija_juju: Problems of TINAPA

1. Continuity: It feels like Liyel Imoke has no idea what Donal Duke was trying to achieve with Tinapa, so he doesnt even know how to continue it.

2. Poor Lobbying: TINAPA is supposed to be a Duty Free Port.. Problem is that Calabar already has a port that is very under utilized. For TINAPA to grow, Liyel needs to carry out some serious Lobbying in Abuja & Lagos to divert ships from Lagos - Calabar for Calabar port to see some action. I have a strong feeling that the life of Calabar port and TINAPA are tied together.. Their survival is dependent on each other.

3. LIYEL is a person: Yes I said it. Cross Rivers State was alive under Donald Duke. The only thing that LIyel seems to have continued from the Duke era is the Calabar Canival. The Canival|TINAPA|Obudu|& Calabar Tourism are all tied together in one big package. Go to Calabar and see how all the legacies left by Donald Duke have all rotted. examples include;

- Obudu Cattle Ranch: A place that costs over 100,000 Naira a night to lodge in and yet does not have 24hr power supply. Parts imported by duke for further works can be seen in containers littered all over the ranch.

- Marina Resort: I wept. I swear I wept when I saw Marina resort last month. Apart from the new Cinema that is there now, the rest of Marina resort is dead.

- Calabar Canival: The darn thing is a mere shadow of what it used to be like under Donald Duke.

- Calabar City: The Hype of the town is dead. Looks like a ghost town now. Infact, I doubt you can spot one new addition to the town done by Liyel.

WORD OF THE GODS::TINAPA has entered into the large Nigerian Black book of White Elephant Projects.

For 300,000 Naira you will get a return flight and 4 nights stay in a nice hotel/resort in a place like Gambia and have many tourist things to do.

I forgot, of course you will get 24 hour light and no threat of kidnap.

Why would a sane person from UK go to Tinapa?
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by Incrizz(f): 9:59am On Sep 04, 2013
Vict[b:
[/b]oriousvic]Tinapa is not dead. The issue here is the governor (Liyel Imoke) who isn't making any positive step to ensure that it remains successful.

That, and not location is what happend to Tinapa.
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by Sagamite(m): 10:01am On Sep 04, 2013
shymexx: Nigeria probably happened to it.

Anything Nigeria touches turns to failure!!

I watched the video of that place a few years and it's definitely a place to visit and one of the wonders of Nigeria, as a lover of nature. However, Nigeria is a dream killer and the people aren't progressive.

You don't even need foreigners to patronise the place. All the Nigerian mistake-billionaires/millionaires alone are enough to make it thrive. However, trust Nigerians to rather go waste stolen monies in rubbish countries than invest in their own! undecided undecided

Why don't YOU show the way by dedicating your holiday to your patriotic and great Tinapa?
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by roxell120(m): 10:05am On Sep 04, 2013
Afam4eva: Tinapa was a good initiative but was not well thought. The major militating factor is the location. Calabar is ot a commercial city by any standard and such a project couldn't have been sited there. Such projects would have been successful in Aba, Onitsha, Lagos or parts of Ogun state closest to Lagos.
youngman do u know wat tinapa means? I believe u dont cos such topography where its located is rare.the problem with it is poor management and low commitment on the part of cross river state govt.remember when donald duke was there it attracted a lot of tourists so those saying lagos would ve been better are just tribalists.op u can't differenciate south east from south south? calabar is ss.research well though
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by mandarin: 10:06am On Sep 04, 2013
I think the political will is rather poor.Its a project I admire and there is hope especially with coming on stream of GE and other likely associated companies. These will help the area by the coming on stream of more middle class citizens.I remember Prof Pat Utomi had also talked about TINAPA being in a place like Lekki which would have generated billions for the state government monthly. All the same i admire the foresight of Mr. Duke and I believe with time Cross River will still enjoy that place.
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by Nobody: 10:10am On Sep 04, 2013
Sagamite:

Why don't YOU show the way by dedicating your holiday to your patriotic and great Tinapa?

Where did I mention patriotism in my post? It seems you've reading disabilities. Are you dyslexic?

Anyway, I definitely won't mind visiting the place and Obudu ranch if there's a functioning airport in Calabar.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by hummerwise(m): 10:10am On Sep 04, 2013
CFCfan:
ROTFL grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Y were the first 2 city written in bold letters and the last 2 written in jus ordinary regular fonts

Jus an observation tho
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by hummerwise(m): 10:10am On Sep 04, 2013
CFCfan:
ROTFL grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Y was the first 2 city written in bold letters and the last 2 written in jus ordinary regular fonts

Jus an observation tho
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by UyiIredia(m): 10:11am On Sep 04, 2013
Despite the massive money spent and adverts made, even on CNN, it's sad to see this. I hope the people saying Tinapa isn't dead are right. So far it seems that at best the place is a ghost of its expectations.
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by DonaldGenes(m): 10:12am On Sep 04, 2013
Horus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwU42ozcx7I

Wonderland of Tinapa Resort

na only food 'em go chow for diaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by Nobody: 10:14am On Sep 04, 2013
A lot of people are blaming it on location, the government or our dear country Nigeria but really and truly its we as citizens of Nigeria that made it fail. How many of you guys have taken a vacation to Tinapa? Its your fault Tinapa is not functioning well, its your fault Tinapa is dying, everything wrong that's happening to Tinapa is all your fault. You rather spend your money going to yankee or jand. I shake my head for all of you, always looking for somebody to blame

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by AjanleKoko: 10:17am On Sep 04, 2013
Tinapa is actually not bad. I've been there a couple of times.
While it may not be a Disneyworld or Six Flags, at least it's decent.

Problem is the lack of private sector participation. Governments anywhere don't exclusively do things like that anymore. Even in the UAE, most of those projects are private-public sector partnerships.

If to say dem get oil for CR now, they could have done a deal with the Chinese. Those one can give them everything: airport, resorts, hotels, whatever they want.
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by Sagamite(m): 10:18am On Sep 04, 2013
shymexx:

Where did I mention patriotism in my post? It seems you've reading disabilities. Are you dyslexic?

Anyway, I definitely won't mind visiting the place and Obudu ranch if there's a functioning airport in Calabar.

You are a person!

What does this statement mean: "However, trust Nigerians to rather go waste stolen monies in rubbish countries than invest in their own!"?

Why are you just "not minding"?

Why have you not dedicated all your holidays to holiday places in Nigeria like Tinapa instead of going to spend your money in "rubbish" countries that are alternatives?

It is all talk, no action?
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by DoffMan2: 10:20am On Sep 04, 2013
I'm aware that Duke is working tirelessly behind the scenes to get Tinapa going. It'll take time and effort, and there'll be ups and downs. However, it will eventually get going. Handing everything to Tinapa on a platter of gold by govt fiat will probably have a created an initial artificial boom that would have been most likely followed by a massive burst with more long lasting and more damaging results. A slow-burning well-earned boom is much better.
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by Petersonchikas(m): 10:22am On Sep 04, 2013
gerald09: What Happened to Tinapa? The same thing that happens to every other thing touched by Nigerians. It failed like everything else.
end time
Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by naijaswag1: 10:25am On Sep 04, 2013
Okija_juju: Problems of TINAPA

Stop saying what you don't know. Rumour monger. You can get hotel rooms as low as N18,500. Use google and find out and stop talking nonsense.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by ba7man(m): 10:28am On Sep 04, 2013
When Nigerians finally get an idea right, they price it out of the reach of the average person.

If the indegenes invest in lots affordable hotels and provide activities that can interest tourists and visitors eg affordable nightclubs and recreation spots, shows, raves with guest artists all over town, people will definitely want to visit.

If Las-Vegas could grow out of the desert sands, why can't Calabar do the same in a better climate.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Tinapa? by Sukosam(m): 10:30am On Sep 04, 2013
End time tinz

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

'PDP Traced Akpabio Overseas To Beg Him On Their Knees' - Ahmed Lawan / Namadi Sambo Visits Ike Ekweremadu In Abuja. Photos / Ademola Adeleke: I Will Be Osun State Governor By Next Friday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.