Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:26 PM

The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant (16860 Views)

Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant / What Is The New Covenant, And What Is The Old Covenant? / What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Image123(m): 12:10am On Sep 17, 2013
Zikkyy:

Don't ask me jor angry the merriam webster definition says "tithe is a tenth part of.." abi you want to deny you are not the one that provided the MW reference

Anyways, now that you are willing to learn i can tell you tithe is not a tenth and it is not 10%. "it is a tenth part of.." or "the tenth item" (according to scriptures o! i no dey use dictionary to define tithe smiley )
Okay, tithe is not a tenth, but it is a tenth part of, or the tenth. i see. i will be replying your more serious posts.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Image123(m): 12:10am On Sep 17, 2013
Candour:

When Jesus was presented in the temple as a baby, his mother offered 2 pigeons in deference to the laws of Moses(Lev 12:1-3, Luke 2:23-24). How many pigeons or turtle doves do your church members bring during dedication?

When Jesus cleansed a leper in Matt 8:4, he asked him to go to the priest and obey the law of Moses (Lev 14:4). Do those healed of leprosy in your church bring these items? If you say no leper has been cured in your church, if they get cured tommorow, will you ask them to obey this law since Christ expressly ORDERED this cured man to obey this law?

My bro, the cross made all the difference and that is what you MUST realise

First paragraph has nothing to do with what Jesus said or the context of the words of Jesus. Lets not lump things up.

Matthew 8:4 And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.

Here is a ceremonial law that lepers were told to follow to ascertain their well being. Lepers were cut off from the populace and unclean. They had to go to the priests to be certified clean and free to mingle with society. Today too, their is nohing wrong with obeying constituted authority like doctor's report, birth or death certificate, driver's licence, referral forms etc. They are no God's primary laws but are necessary for the society.

Leviticus 14:11 And the priest that maketh him clean shall present the man that is to be made clean, and those things, before the LORD, at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation:

Jesus still wants us to obey the law of whtever land we are in as long as it does no oppose God like idolatry or something.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Image123(m): 12:59am On Sep 17, 2013
Candour:

haba Image, which kind work you wan give me so? Just pick your bible and start reading from Exodus 12:43 down to Deut 27:26. The laws come intermittently. I'm sure you'll get most of them if not all if you do it painstakingly. you can Google it up yourself or visit the link below for a comprehensive gist about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_commandments

cheers and happy reading

Wonderful. i observed that these 613 laws are from Genesis to Deuteronomy. -i'm guessing we can freely quote outside that, like malachi and nehemaih and co and we would not be harrassed for trying to obey some 613.
Among the 613, i noticed to know that there is a God, do not murder, do not steal, do not curse father and mother. Forgot to even check for tithe, sorry, i will go back to check. Now, i know that i obey this four. Is there any f these four that you also obey? If yes, which? Thanks, and please stop constantly comparing me to bidam or anyone. We are all fearfully and wonderfully created and should not incite others to envy, jealousy or its likes, please. If there are corrections you want to make, go n and make them one on one. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Image123(m): 1:21am On Sep 17, 2013
Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

Moses seat smply means the position of authority, legislature, as judge, interpreting the law. They were the Sanhedrin. The followers of Jesus are expected to obey leadership/constituted authority. The powers that be are ordained of God. The pharisees were the leaders and elders of Israel and were to be held in that regard. Children of God are not to become so pompous that they do not regard/respect authority for whatever reasn e.g corruption, hypocrisy, immorality etc. A true chrstian cannot/should not insult or abuse presidents r governors or administrators whether on paper or other media. Nevertheless, we are not to behave like them. Respet and obedience des not mean that you have to behave like them. We can be the Daniels and Esthers and Nehemiahs of our own generation.
Beware of the leaven of Herod nd of the pharisees.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by brilapluz(m): 1:25am On Sep 17, 2013
when all has been said and done,dere is just one tin dat matters..did i do my best 2 live 4 d TRUTH,did i live my life 4 CHRIST?..wen all has been said and done,all my treasures wil mean nothing but only wat i've done 4 LOVE'S REWARD will stand d test of time...

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 1:31am On Sep 17, 2013
Image123:

First paragraph has nothing to do with what Jesus said or the context of the words of Jesus. Lets not lump things up.

Matthew 8:4 And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.

Here is a ceremonial law that lepers were told to follow to ascertain their well being. Lepers were cut off from the populace and unclean. They had to go to the priests to be certified clean and free to mingle with society. Today too, their is nohing wrong with obeying constituted authority like doctor's report, birth or death certificate, driver's licence, referral forms etc. They are no God's primary laws but are necessary for the society.

Leviticus 14:11 And the priest that maketh him clean shall present the man that is to be made clean, and those things, before the LORD, at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation:

Jesus still wants us to obey the law of whtever land we are in as long as it does no oppose God like idolatry or something.

i brought in what happened at Jesus birth so as to show you what he evidently subscribed to. As at when my Lord was a baby, it didn't diminish his Deity. If he was made to pass through it as a baby, It is something he would agree with as an adult. Did or would Jesus Christ have endorsed bringing 2 pigeons @ dedication. an emphatic YES is the answer.

Lev 14:4-5
'Then shall the priest command to take for him that is to be cleansed two birds alive and clean, and cedar wood, and scarlet, and hyssop: 5. And the priest shall command that one of the birds be killed in an earthen vessel over running water'

my bro, what Christ asked him to do was more than getting a doctors report. He had take the the birds to the priest and perform rituals with them before being certified clean. read from Lev 14:1-11

Lev 14:1
'And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,'

It was the LORD GOD speaking here so i dont know what you mean by primary laws. These so-called ceremonial laws are in the same category with tithes so which one is primary laws?
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 1:51am On Sep 17, 2013
Image123:

Wonderful. i observed that these 613 laws are from Genesis to Deuteronomy. -i'm guessing we can freely quote outside that, like malachi and nehemaih and co and we would not be harrassed for trying to obey some 613.
Among the 613, i noticed to know that there is a God, do not murder, do not steal, do not curse father and mother. Forgot to even check for tithe, sorry, i will go back to check. Now, i know that i obey this four. Is there any f these four that you also obey? If yes, which? Thanks, and please stop constantly comparing me to bidam or anyone. We are all fearfully and wonderfully created and should not incite others to envy, jealousy or its likes, please. If there are corrections you want to make, go n and make them one on one. God bless you.

you know you are the one who keeps reminding me of the MOSAIC LAW OF TITHING so i decided to help you be a more faithful law keeper by letting you know there were 613.

My new nature subject to the law of love will not let me steal, curse, murder etc.

Let me help you with some you might check to see if you keep

Deut 22:11
'Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woolen and linen together.

Deut 21:18,21
'If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:...........21. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die:so shalt thou put evil away from among you: and all isreal shall hear, and fear'

Lev 19:27
'Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard'

Deut 22:9 says don't plant different seeds together in the same land

Just check the list, you'll see more

Don't worry about inciting jealousy. No body is a child here grin

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 1:56am On Sep 17, 2013
Image123: Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

Moses seat smply means the position of authority, legislature, as judge, interpreting the law. They were the Sanhedrin. The followers of Jesus are expected to obey leadership/constituted authority. The powers that be are ordained of God. The pharisees were the leaders and elders of Israel and were to be held in that regard. Children of God are not to become so pompous that they do not regard/respect authority for whatever reasn e.g corruption, hypocrisy, immorality etc. A true chrstian cannot/should not insult or abuse presidents r governors or administrators whether on paper or other media. Nevertheless, we are not to behave like them. Respet and obedience des not mean that you have to behave like them. We can be the Daniels and Esthers and Nehemiahs of our own generation.
Beware of the leaven of Herod nd of the pharisees.

i Disagree with you bro. Jesus meant exactly that 'all whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do'. It means every single law or ordinance coming out from their mouths or quills must be obeyed. It is not about respect but about unalloyed obedience.

Those same Daniels, Esthers and Nehemiahs were ardent keepers of the law of Moses

Don't dilute our LORD's statement
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Image123(m): 3:59am On Sep 17, 2013
Candour:

i brought in what happened at Jesus birth so as to show you what he evidently subscribed to. As at when my Lord was a baby, it didn't diminish his Deity. If he was made to pass through it as a baby, It is something he would agree with as an adult. Did or would Jesus Christ have endorsed bringing 2 pigeons @ dedication. an emphatic YES is the answer.

Lev 14:4-5
'Then shall the priest command to take for him that is to be cleansed two birds alive and clean, and cedar wood, and scarlet, and hyssop: 5. And the priest shall command that one of the birds be killed in an earthen vessel over running water'

my bro, what Christ asked him to do was more than getting a doctors report. He had take the the birds to the priest and perform rituals with them before being certified clean. read from Lev 14:1-11

Lev 14:1
'And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,'

It was the LORD GOD speaking here so i dont know what you mean by primary laws. These so-called ceremonial laws are in the same category with tithes so which one is primary laws?

What happened at Jesus birth is not in the context of what we were telling Gosh about the words of Jesus being yes and amen. Gosh was saying some of Jesus' words were wrong or invalid. i have told you i do not intend to discuss this issue in detail, so bringing up various issues would be overlooked/ignored. sorry.
i didn't say Jesus was only asking for a doctor's report or its like. i was only showing the unobvious reason why Jesus said to go for a testimony so as to be able to be absorbed into society again. Its similar to a church telling a couple to get a marriage certificate from court. It has to do with the prevalent law of the land. These is verily in line with the new testament. By primary, they do not apply to everyone but lepers.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Image123(m): 4:13am On Sep 17, 2013
Candour:

you know you are the one who keeps reminding me of the MOSAIC LAW OF TITHING so i decided to help you be a more faithful law keeper by letting you know there were 613.

My new nature subject to the law of love will not let me steal, curse, murder etc.

Let me help you with some you might check to see if you keep

Deut 22:11
'Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woolen and linen together.

Deut 21:18,21
'If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:...........21. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die:so shalt thou put evil away from among you: and all isreal shall hear, and fear'

Lev 19:27
'Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard'

Deut 22:9 says don't plant different seeds together in the same land

Just check the list, you'll see more

Don't worry about inciting jealousy. No body is a child here grin

It's strange you forgot that we insisted that we are not under the law. It is you that claimed that tithing is strictly under the law, and that if we must tithe we must fulfil all other law, or is it 612 ther laws. You, not us. So, now we get to know that you are also fulfilling some of the laws! Good news. Talk about new nature and law of love appears stale. This were te same reason folks have given for giving tithe. That that is the way God's Spirit leads them, that they do it out of love for God and the church, that it is a principle of life in them.
At the end, the two parties are 'guilty' of obeying some of these 613 laws you brought up for personal reasons. What we need to do is ask you the same questions if you insist. Why not steal or murder, why regard God, why not curse father or mother, why tithe? Don't you know that you might be a debtor to do the law? The problem is that many people, like the OP, have not understood the covenants hence their continual stumble and hypocrisy of contradiction.

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Image123(m): 4:19am On Sep 17, 2013
Candour:

i Disagree with you bro. Jesus meant exactly that 'all whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do'. It means every single law or ordinance coming out from their mouths or quills must be obeyed. It is not about respect but about unalloyed obedience.

Those same Daniels, Esthers and Nehemiahs were ardent keepers of the law of Moses

Don't dilute our LORD's statement

Don't misunderstand our Lord's statement. Your misunderstanding contradicts te entire chapter and the teachings of our Lord.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 4:40am On Sep 17, 2013
Image123:

What happened at Jesus birth is not in the context of what we were telling Gosh about the words of Jesus being yes and amen. Gosh was saying some of Jesus' words were wrong or invalid. i have told you i do not intend to discuss this issue in detail, so bringing up various issues would be overlooked/ignored. sorry.
i didn't say Jesus was only asking for a doctor's report or its like. i was only showing the unobvious reason why Jesus said to go for a testimony so as to be able to be absorbed into society again. Its similar to a church telling a couple to get a marriage certificate from court. It has to do with the prevalent law of the land. These is verily in line with the new testament. By primary, they do not apply to everyone but lepers.

If i am to go by your explanation here, then we shouldn't be having this Discussion because only Farmers and livestock keepers were bound to pay the tithe and i have never been a farmer all my life, dont know about you though. Deut 14:22-29 etc will tell you that.

There was a ritual which you must follow before being re-admmited into society. My bro, it was a law in Isreal whether you call it primary or tertiary.

Only males were circumcised, Does it become less of a law for Isreal?

When Moses, started his proclamation in Deut 5:1, he said 'Hear, O Isreal,...' he didn't ask lepers into one group, farmers into another group etc. He gave laws to Isreal as a whole. Everybody note the ones that concern you.

The question 'is a Christian leper bound to bring the birds for the ritual in Lev 14:4?'

Is a Christian woman to bring 2 pigeons or 2 turtle doves to the sanctuary when she brings her son for dedication?

2 Likes

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 5:08am On Sep 17, 2013
Image123:

It's strange you forgot that we insisted that we are not under the law. It is you that claimed that tithing is strictly under the law, and that if we must tithe we must fulfil all other law, or is it 612 ther laws. You, not us. So, now we get to know that you are also fulfilling some of the laws! Good news. Talk about new nature and law of love appears stale. This were te same reason folks have given for giving tithe. That that is the way God's Spirit leads them, that they do it out of love for God and the church, that it is a principle of life in them.
At the end, the two parties are 'guilty' of obeying some of these 613 laws you brought up for personal reasons. What we need to do is ask you the same questions if you insist. Why not steal or murder, why regard God, why not curse father or mother, why tithe? Don't you know that you might be a debtor to do the law? The problem is that many people, like the OP, have not understood the covenants hence their continual stumble and hypocrisy of contradiction.

Yes my bro. Tithing is a matter of the LAW OF MOSES. What started this line of discussion is you telling me Matt 23:23 binds me to tithe. I told you NEVER as Jesus was speaking to the Jews under the Law. You disagreed and i said ok, if Matt 23:23 'truly' binds me to tithe, Then Matt 23:1-3 binds you to Obey every command from the mouth of Scribes and Pharisees which have become a staggering 613 laws over the years. Lets get the trail pls.

If Spirit leads them to tithe fine. that is your personal revelation bro, NOT MINE. Image, i gave you answers to this line of question some posts ago. Dont try to bring them in again under another guise. Don't force your personal revelation on me and others. The almighty has written into my heart and new nature how to live in Love. Maybe he also wrote Mosaic law of tithing, but since there is no levite or a priest from the tribe of Levi around me, that part of me was not activated.

Not stealing or murdering today for me as a Christian has nothing to do with the law. It's in consonance with my new nature. Are Hindus free to kill today? or you think they also live by the laws of Moses? God gave them a functioning conscience so there's already an inhibitor in them. For me a blood bought child of God, The Spirit of God which lives in me even does a better job than my old conscience in keeping me from being injurious to my neighbor.

James 2:10 says if you keep all the laws and fail in one, you're guilty of all and that is why i informed you have 613 laws in all, are you sure you keep all?

2 Likes

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 5:12am On Sep 17, 2013
Image123:

Don't misunderstand our Lord's statement. Your misunderstanding contradicts te entire chapter and the teachings of our Lord.

You're the one misunderstanding, misconstruing and misinterpreting the LORD's clear and concise command there. He said to Obey all that Moses, the Scribes and Pharisees tell you to do since you claim he was talking to you in that chapter. Do you obey his injunction there fully bro?

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Zikkyy(m): 10:12am On Sep 17, 2013
Image123:
Okay, tithe is not a tenth, but it is a tenth part of, or the tenth. i see. i will be replying your more serious posts.

Why you dey run was hoping you will defend ya definition of tithe angry
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by debosky(m): 11:23am On Sep 17, 2013
Bidam: Just checked everyone grows in knowledge and dimension the Spirit gives him.I never mince words that tithing is a form of giving which as an OT can principled in the NT.The point i don't agree is below 2%. like i told you earlier i tithe my prayers,time,money,study of the bible etc..to God as a principle.That's the way God taught me.BTW I GO ABOVE THE 10%

How does one tithe prayer again? Abi do you pray 10% to God and the remaining 90% to Sango, Obatala and Orunmila? cheesy

PS - for the hypersensitive the last line was a joke, but the question is valid.

2 Likes

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by debosky(m): 11:26am On Sep 17, 2013
Bidam: You said 613 laws. And i pointed out the fact that there are still some laws jews and gentiles adhere to even though they are operating the new covenant .Your argument is weak,later you go dey accuse me say i dey jump from one thing to the other.Jesus talked about marriage,resurrection and so many other things to the pharisee which differ from the laws of Moses.Remember Jesus was accused of changing the laws of Moses and teaching the people to adhere to the laws He taught that was why He was crucified.

And i believe you know as well as i do that Jesus primary purpose was to fulfill the intent of the law.Right from when Adam sinned in the garden of eden, obedience was what God was simply after and not the sacrifice of the animal skin He used to cover their unclothedness. Even now when we have the Holy Spirit, obedience is always the key to fulfill God's righteous requirements.

Look at this scripture: For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost and to us,to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; acts 15:28.

Good you quoted that scripture - was tithing included in the things that the apostles chose to 'lay upon' the Gentiles?
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by brilapluz(m): 3:56pm On Sep 17, 2013
debosky:

How does one tithe prayer again? Abi do you pray 10% to God and the remaining 90% to Sango, Obatala and Orunmila? cheesy

PS - for the hypersensitive the last line was a joke, but the question is valid.

grin
debosky:

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Nobody: 4:38pm On Sep 17, 2013
debosky:

Jesus says can't you watch with me for an hour? Well i see it as a principle since we have 24hrs a day.cheers.It is not applicable to you BTW.It's personal revelation.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 17, 2013
debosky:

Good you quoted that scripture - was tithing included in the things that the apostles chose to 'lay upon' the Gentiles?
The argument is about the law completely abolished by Christ according to candour. and i said there is actually a law in the heart believers should follow.re-read and learn.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by christemmbassey(m): 4:46pm On Sep 17, 2013
Bidam: Jesus says can't you watch with me for an hour? Well i see it as a principle since we have 24hrs a day.cheers.It is not applicable to you BTW.It's personal revelation.
u don start with this ya revelatn, if i rebuke mr Malaria u go vex, b careful o. I love u, i really do.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Nobody: 4:52pm On Sep 17, 2013
christemmbassey: u don start with this ya revelatn, if i rebuke mr Malaria u go vex, b careful o. I love u, i really do.
How many hours do you pray in a day?
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by christemmbassey(m): 4:58pm On Sep 17, 2013
Bidam: How many hours do you pray in a day?
can't tell, i don't time my prayers nor record them.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Nobody: 5:02pm On Sep 17, 2013
christemmbassey: can't tell, i don't time my prayers nor record them.
Too bad Jesus was conscious of His.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Image123(m): 5:24pm On Sep 17, 2013
Candour:

If i am to go by your explanation here, then we shouldn't be having this Discussion because only Farmers and livestock keepers were bound to pay the tithe and i have never been a farmer all my life, dont know about you though. Deut 14:22-29 etc will tell you that.

There was a ritual which you must follow before being re-admmited into society. My bro, it was a law in Isreal whether you call it primary or tertiary.

Only males were circumcised, Does it become less of a law for Isreal?

When Moses, started his proclamation in Deut 5:1, he said 'Hear, O Isreal,...' he didn't ask lepers into one group, farmers into another group etc. He gave laws to Isreal as a whole. Everybody note the ones that concern you.

The question 'is a Christian leper bound to bring the birds for the ritual in Lev 14:4?'

Is a Christian woman to bring 2 pigeons or 2 turtle doves to the sanctuary when she brings her son for dedication?

Sure, i believe we should not be having this discussion at all. It is your continual insistence that is letting us have this discussion. We have severally said to allow every man to be led by God's Spirit but it seems that does not suffice for you. i have no idea about any one being bound to pay the tithe. 'is a Christian leper bound to bring the birds for the ritual in Lev 14:4?' Is the christian bound to do anything? is the christian bound to pray, or to fellowship, or to fast or to give, or to be humble? Is the christian bound to obey the laws of the land where he resides? Should the christian drive around without a driver's license, should a christian travel with an expired or stolen passport? Do any of these things have to be written in the Bible or as the law of Moses? Like i have said, there is a need for a true understanding of the covenants, else we will continue to ask unfounded questions.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Image123(m): 5:25pm On Sep 17, 2013
Candour:

Yes my bro. Tithing is a matter of the LAW OF MOSES. What started this line of discussion is you telling me Matt 23:23 binds me to tithe. I told you NEVER as Jesus was speaking to the Jews under the Law. You disagreed and i said ok, if Matt 23:23 'truly' binds me to tithe, Then Matt 23:1-3 binds you to Obey every command from the mouth of Scribes and Pharisees which have become a staggering 613 laws over the years. Lets get the trail pls.

If Spirit leads them to tithe fine. that is your personal revelation bro, NOT MINE. Image, i gave you answers to this line of question some posts ago. Dont try to bring them in again under another guise. Don't force your personal revelation on me and others. The almighty has written into my heart and new nature how to live in Love. Maybe he also wrote Mosaic law of tithing, but since there is no levite or a priest from the tribe of Levi around me, that part of me was not activated.

Not stealing or murdering today for me as a Christian has nothing to do with the law. It's in consonance with my new nature. Are Hindus free to kill today? or you think they also live by the laws of Moses? God gave them a functioning conscience so there's already an inhibitor in them. For me a blood bought child of God, The Spirit of God which lives in me even does a better job than my old conscience in keeping me from being injurious to my neighbor.

James 2:10 says if you keep all the laws and fail in one, you're guilty of all and that is why i informed you have 613 laws in all, are you sure you keep all?

i'm not sure that i remember ever telling you that you are bound to tithe. Tithing is not a matter of just the law of Moses. It has being established that people tithed before Moses's father was born. Tithing for believers today has nothing to do with the law. It's in consonance with our new nature. Our nature is willing to allow scriptures to lead, direct, teach, instruct us. We understand that the Scriptures are ableto make us wise and furnished to all good works. We are both 'keeping' some laws has it has being shown. the thing is now to know why we do what we do. you should not be insisting on making purposes and reasons for other's actions. i have told you why we do what we do, and you have told me yours. Can we now rest, and go home? i can almost bet not, you are not satisfied. Are you God? no. Are you our judge? no. Does our service have to be acceptable to you? no.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Image123(m): 5:26pm On Sep 17, 2013
Candour:

You're the one misunderstanding, misconstruing and misinterpreting the LORD's clear and concise command there. He said to Obey all that Moses, the Scribes and Pharisees tell you to do since you claim he was talking to you in that chapter. Do you obey his injunction there fully bro?

What you need is to ask the Spirit of God to interpret the scriptures, i also ask that BTW so do not consider it an insult. Your intrpretation of that passage contradicts the teachings of Jesus.
Mat 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

We cannot do everything that they say. Because they say and do not. They made doctrines contrary to God's and Jesus Himself attested to that.
Mat 15:1 Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying,
Mat 15:2 Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.
Mat 15:3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
Mat 15:4 For God commanded, saying, Honor thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.
Mat 15:5 But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;
Mat 15:6 And honor not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.

Jesus warned us to BEWARE of the doctrines and teachings of the pharisees. We cannot just do everything they say. It will be incongruent. We ought to obey God rather than man. This was the way the disciples understood it. But as for authority, sitting in the position of authority as the nation's senate and judges, they were to be obeyed.
Mat 16:12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.
Mar 8:15 And he charged them, saying, Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, and of the leaven of Herod.

BTW, i never saw any as pharisaic as antitihers on nl.
Mat 23:4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
They are the ones who would not give tithe or move it with a finger, but they keep telling tithers what and how to do their tithing. They will say you must convert it toso and so. Even the law was more merciful it gave an option of changing one type of tthe to money and then using the money to buy the tithe equivalent. It was considerate, unlike today's pharisees who bind heavy burdens grievous to be borne, telling us what law we must keep and what we must not keep, please let's repent of our ways, and let God have His way with his people.
Rom 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Image123(m): 5:26pm On Sep 17, 2013
Zikkyy:

Why you dey run was hoping you will defend ya definition of tithe angry
Run ke, i no run na. Na you no serious. If you serious, i fit get your time.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 6:36pm On Sep 17, 2013
Image123:

Sure, i believe we should not be having this discussion at all. It is your continual insistence that is letting us have this discussion. We have severally said to allow every man to be led by God's Spirit but it seems that does not suffice for you. i have no idea about any one being bound to pay the tithe. 'is a Christian leper bound to bring the birds for the ritual in Lev 14:4?' Is the christian bound to do anything? is the christian bound to pray, or to fellowship, or to fast or to give, or to be humble? Is the christian bound to obey the laws of the land where he resides? Should the christian drive around without a driver's license, should a christian travel with an expired or stolen passport? Do any of these things have to be written in the Bible or as the law of Moses? Like i have said, there is a need for a true understanding of the covenants, else we will continue to ask unfounded questions.

OK then. Since its the spirit leading you to tithe, I wont quarell with it.I have said this severally on this thread.

Every Christian prays, why doesn't the Spirit stipulate a fixed number of hours? You preach Spirit should lead us all but you can't help suggesting 10%, how do you reconcile it?

I think you too will benefit from studying the covenants again. There is a great difference between following laid down laws of Moses and allowing grace to lead
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 7:13pm On Sep 17, 2013
Image123:

i'm not sure that i remember ever telling you that you are bound to tithe. Tithing is not a matter of just the law of Moses. It has being established that people tithed before Moses's father was born. Tithing for believers today has nothing to do with the law. It's in consonance with our new nature. Our nature is willing to allow scriptures to lead, direct, teach, instruct us. We understand that the Scriptures are ableto make us wise and furnished to all good works. We are both 'keeping' some laws has it has being shown. the thing is now to know why we do what we do. you should not be insisting on making purposes and reasons for other's actions. i have told you why we do what we do, and you have told me yours. Can we now rest, and go home? i can almost bet not, you are not satisfied. Are you God? no. Are you our judge? no. Does our service have to be acceptable to you? no.

I'm sorry if you feel exasperated about it. You've said its your choice which is fine by me. It becomes a different matter when you bring it to the public space and promote it as a tenet of Christian service and doctrine. That is not only falsehood, it is cruel because you make an ungrounded Christian wallow in guilt if he doesn't follow your prescribed rate and that my bro is what I'm against.

By the way, Tithing started before Abram was even born. It was a practice well entrenched in the mid east hundreds of years before Abram met Melchizedek. Mosaic Tithing however was a different kettle of fish.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 7:42pm On Sep 17, 2013
Image123:

What you need is to ask the Spirit of God to interpret the scriptures, i also ask that BTW so do not consider it an insult. Your intrpretation of that passage contradicts the teachings of Jesus.
Mat 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

We cannot do everything that they say. Because they say and do not. They made doctrines contrary to God's and Jesus Himself attested to that.
Mat 15:1 Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying,
Mat 15:2 Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.
Mat 15:3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
Mat 15:4 For God commanded, saying, Honor thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.
Mat 15:5 But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;
Mat 15:6 And honor not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.

Jesus warned us to BEWARE of the doctrines and teachings of the pharisees. We cannot just do everything they say. It will be incongruent. We ought to obey God rather than man. This was the way the disciples understood it. But as for authority, sitting in the position of authority as the nation's senate and judges, they were to be obeyed.
Mat 16:12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.
Mar 8:15 And he charged them, saying, Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, and of the leaven of Herod.

BTW, i never saw any as pharisaic as antitihers on nl.
Mat 23:4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
They are the ones who would not give tithe or move it with a finger, but they keep telling tithers what and how to do their tithing. They will say you must convert it toso and so. Even the law was more merciful it gave an option of changing one type of tthe to money and then using the money to buy the tithe equivalent. It was considerate, unlike today's pharisees who bind heavy burdens grievous to be borne, telling us what law we must keep and what we must not keep, please let's repent of our ways, and let God have His way with his people.
Rom 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

Christ said you should do all they say if you agree you were the one being spoken to in Matt 23. There is no way you can skirt round that injunction. Christ said observe all they ask you to do and do them, he didnt talk of respect there my bro.those are your words you are inserting into scripture. Maybe you can help us with your dictionary meaning of OBSERVE and DO. Obey all.any other explanation is simply gymnastics.

Jesus condemned the Pharisees for their overtly meticulous adherence to tithing to the detriment of weightier matters of the law. Phew....the hypocrites even tithed spices. This is exactly what you preach:'10% or God will be angry with you for you have sinned' much like the Pharisees Christ condemned. I implore people to give as they are able, you insist on 10% pls who is the Pharisee? grin

I don't feel insulted if you say I need to study more. We all do actually. Meanwhile I recommend Ihedinobi's thoughts on tithing thread to you. I believe it will benefit you greatly

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by christemmbassey(m): 9:55pm On Sep 17, 2013
@Candour, u dey argue collection of tithes with Bidam n Image? Na wa to u o, u sabi say tithes na oyel well ? No let prophet Bidam see vision 4 u o, I dey tae u o.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Should You Have Sex On Valentine's Day? / Can A Genuine Christian Guy Plait His Hair? / Lightning Strikes Rwandan Church And Kills 16 Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.