Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,618 members, 7,816,542 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! (27891 Views)

Nigeria Picks Kogi, Akwa Ibom For Nuclear Power Plants / President Jonathan Commissions Phase 1 504MW Alaoji Power Station, In Abia- Pics / Commisioning Of Unit 6 (1320 MW) Egbin Power Station -live On Nta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by ba7man(m): 8:43pm On Sep 08, 2013
ghananotnaija:

My food comes from God alone, and I receive my blessings from God with my own hands by my hard work. I earn a living not because of what Nigerians are doing, but in spite of what Nigerians are doing.
Don't listen to that dude, he's just rich online. He's probably a broke, mousy guy in reality that only comes alive in a virtual world.

A lot of people project false images of themselves online. Lot of liars on this forum.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by nora544: 8:44pm On Sep 08, 2013
There are many accidents around the world which are not in the newspapers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_civilian_nuclear_accidents

and Fukushima was not the first in japan so it is not safe.

my country know this 1978 and we step out, from this programm. We had a nuclear power plant what should start to work but we step out of it.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:44pm On Sep 08, 2013
shymexx:

There's a large reservoir of water under the Sahara. Naija just need to do what gaddafi did and build a next man-made river from that. Heck, they can always get tunnels/pipes to connect the Niger river to wherever they might build the nuclear plant.

The South is too populated for a nuclear plant. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

I suggest the arid regions bordering Chad and Niger, where humans have no reason to live.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by nuesaweso(f): 8:45pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

There is nothing wrong about what you are suggesting, but you can see the protest against this project from Nairaland, a people who can read, write and operate computer.

I am 100% for technology transfer but to sell the idea, an average man on the street knows our laxity when it comes to maintenance, so its best to first of all tell them that they white man will handle it, but that clause regarding Technology transfer must be structured in the MoU.

I was talking about this from the public orientation aspect of it, the masses must be enlightened before embarking on the project and the best way to sell it, is to tell them -"Na white man, go handle everything".

I think your "public orientation" strategy stinks of deceit and gone are those days when people just swallows everything. Generally, awareness has improved and you should expect people to challenge your ideas. We are protesting for genuine reasons and I reiterate that Nuclear is a bad idea for Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by BetaThings: 8:46pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

Infrastructures problem in Lagos is second to none in the whole country, you need to travel out of Lagos to the South/South, South East States and I am sure you will know some parts of the country is far very organized.

I dont know why Lagos is so ram-shackled and unkept. Apart from VI/Ikoyi/Ikeja and few adjoining areas, a visit to Lagos might make someone feel the entire Nigeria is filthy.

You do not have to use the state of Lagos and the mismanagement culture to judge the other parts of the country.

If Nuclear Plants are to be sited, Lagos' topography is not considerable for such, we need to put it in arid region very far from habitation of humans.
Why do you always assume?
Why did I not see you at the stadium yesterday?
Can you meet me at Milverton tommorrow? We can try Asa road otherwise

And the flooding happened only in Lagos?
And did not affect SE and SS states. Lagos is mismanaged, I know. Tell me why Ibori and Sylva are "scarce"
BTW on one hand, I am told the SS took to militancy because of neglect and now I am told they have excellent facilities
Everything about you is politics!
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Rossikk(m): 8:46pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

There is nothing wrong about what you are suggesting, but you can see the protest against this project from Nairaland, a people who can read, write and operate computer.

I am 100% for technology transfer but to sell the idea, an average man on the street knows our laxity when it comes to maintenance, so its best to first of all tell them that they white man will handle it, but that clause regarding Technology transfer must be structured in the MoU.

I was talking about this from the public orientation aspect of it, the masses must be enlightened before embarking on the project and the best way to sell it, is to tell them -"Na white man, go handle everything".

I think you seriously mischaracterize Nigerians based on the utterances of these kids on nairaland. Nigerians are far more sophisticated than you take them for. Don't use NL as your barometer. Also, I doubt much 'selling' is required for the project. The govt is elected and they have the right to embark on any public project without necessarily gaining majority approval.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:46pm On Sep 08, 2013
Ikeja bomb blast things!
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:46pm On Sep 08, 2013
nues aweso:

I think your "public orientation" strategy stinks of deceit and gone are those days when people just swallows everything. Generally, awareness has improved and you should expect people to challenge your ideas. We are protesting for genuine reasons and I reiterate that Nuclear is a bad idea for Nigeria.

At the end of the day, there will be a referendum, and I am sure you know the divide that will carry the day.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:47pm On Sep 08, 2013
shymexx:

This isn't about roads, bridges etc. it's about futuristic plans and being able to compete with the big boys.
compete with the big boi that will definitely land us all in big rouble!
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:47pm On Sep 08, 2013
Rossikk:

I think you seriously mischaracterize Nigerians based on the utterances of these kids on nairaland. Nigerians are far more sophisticated than you take them for. Don't use NL as your barometer.

I think you are right. So many angry people here.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:49pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

I suggest the arid regions bordering Chad and Niger, where humans have no reason to live.

Somewhere In Zamfara or Niger won't be a bad idea, since the naija's uranium deposit is in the former. And the latter is closer to the Niger river.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by ghananotnaija(m): 8:49pm On Sep 08, 2013
shymexx:

There's a large reservoir of water under the Sahara. Naija just need to do what gaddafi did and build a next man-made river from that. Heck, they can always get tunnels/pipes to connect the Niger river to wherever they might build the nuclear plant.

The South is too populated for a nuclear plant. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

I didn't think of possible aquifers below the desert, so maybe it could work in the North. But with the current security situation, can the government guard a nuclear plant in the North from Islamist attacks? Not all of the South is densely populated, Bayelsa, for one, does not lack water, but is relatively sparsely populated by Nigerian standards.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:51pm On Sep 08, 2013
BetaThings:
we had ample warning of impending flooding, what did we do?
Have you been to the national stadium in Lagos lately, or the one in Abuja
A nuclear accident will not be that generous
Meanwhile the question remains unanswered, have you ever seen Nigeria put out a fire that started on the 8th floor and above?

Don't be ridiculous my brother, things have to be jump-started.

I remember the days that we were told that GSM radiation can make us impotent and deaf.

I remember the days that flying in airplane was scarier than horse riding

I remember when Diskette was a primary storage device

I remember black and white TV

In essence, what I mean is that technologies have evolved and are becoming safer for use.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by ghananotnaija(m): 8:52pm On Sep 08, 2013
ba7man: Don't listen to that dude, he's just rich online. He's probably a broke, mousy guy in reality that only comes alive in a virtual world.

A lot of people project false images of themselves online. Lot of liars on this forum.

Thanks, ba7man. While I do admit I go overboard at times dissing Nigerians, they're in jest and mostly from my own frustrations living in Nigeria, which, I think most readers here would experience as well.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by GatJokez(f): 8:53pm On Sep 08, 2013
Chhernobyl anyone? It's on Ukrainian territory, but was designed and mis-maintained by the same Einsteins under former Soviet rule since before the explosions in '86 until present day. Here is a link from a recent article which talks about the history, effects, and implications that continue even today:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/18/health/helping-chernobyl-children
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by BetaThings: 8:56pm On Sep 08, 2013
ghananotnaija:

Well, economic migrants to Nigeria from other countries from Africa like me don't take a bite for free, that's for sure. We contribute to the economy of Nigeria by our honest labour in exchange for a piece of the pie.

As honestly as the record-setting Kweku Adoboli?

ghananotnaija:
We just wish that more Nigerians do the same instead of trying to get their share by dishonest means.
What are your honest law enforcement agents doing about it?
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:57pm On Sep 08, 2013
GatJokez: Chhernobyl anyone? It's on Ukrainian territory, but was designed and mis-maintained by the same Einsteins under former Soviet rule since before the explosions in '86 until present day. Here is a link from a recent article which talks about the history, effects, and implications that continue even today:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/18/health/helping-chernobyl-children

The technology and understanding of the dynamics of nuclear energy has evolved, and technicians are better equipped to handle this technology.

Chernobyl is a history lesson. The technology has advanced beyond Chernobyl experience, even some jets and sub-marines are powered by nuclear reactors. That's how safe it has become.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by BetaThings: 8:59pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

Don't be ridiculous my brother, things have to be jump-started.

I remember the days that we were told that GSM radiation can make us impotent and deaf.

I remember the days that flying in airplane was scarier than horse riding

I remember when Diskette was a primary storage device

I remember black and white TV

In essence, what I mean is that technologies have evolved and are becoming safer for use.

Yes the victims of Fukushima and Chernobyl do know that the fears were over dramatised

Anyway, if a fire breaks out on the 9th floor in a building tell me what will happen in this "new" era
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 9:00pm On Sep 08, 2013
BetaThings:
Why do you always assume?
Why did I not see you at the stadium yesterday?
Can you meet me at Milverton tommorrow? We can try Asa road otherwise

And the flooding happened only in Lagos?
And did not affect SE and SS states. Lagos is mismanaged, I know. Tell me why Ibori and Sylva are "scarce"
BTW on one hand, I am told the SS took to militancy because of neglect and now I am told they have excellent facilities
Everything about you is politics!

My statement was not a diss, It is a fact, I live in Lagos and I am a Lagosian by all standards. Lagos has given me too much in life.

It doesnt stop me from saying the obvious fact.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 9:00pm On Sep 08, 2013
ghananotnaija:

I didn't think of possible aquifers below the desert, so maybe it could work in the North. But with the current security situation, can the government guard a nuclear plant in the North from Islamist attacks? Not all of the South is densely populated, Bayelsa, for one, does not lack water, but is relatively sparsely populated by Nigerian standards.

I doubt Islamists would want to attack a nuclear plant. Moreover, the so-called Islamists in naija are political pawns on the naija chessboard, so evidently they're not much of a security threat to things like that.

Bayelsa and the Niger Delta already have oil pollution, gas flaring etc. to deal with. They don't need more. And the South is small compared to the massive wastelands up North.

Water reservoirs in Africa

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by 175(m): 9:01pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

I have lightening protector on the roof. Thanks.

lolzz oya make d nuclear plant break d protector. . .
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by BetaThings: 9:02pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

My statement was not a diss, It is a fact, I live in Lagos and I am a Lagosian by all standards. Lagos has given me too much in life.

It doesnt stop me from saying the obvious fact.
That a fire on the last floor of presidential hotel was put out very quickly?
That flooding displaced only Lagosians?
You have "peculiar facts"
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 9:02pm On Sep 08, 2013
BetaThings:
Yes the victims of Fukushima and Chernobyl do know that the fears were over dramatised

Anyway, if a fire breaks out on the 9th floor in a building tell me what will happen in this "new" era

If fire breaks out on the 9th floor ?

Its simple, take the emergency exit, a parachute or get burnt. it SHOULD NOT stop others from building skyscrapers.

I hope I passed the interview.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by nuesaweso(f): 9:02pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

The technology and understanding of the dynamics of nuclear energy has evolved, and technicians are better equipped to handle this technology.

Chernobyl is a history lesson. The technology has advanced beyond Chernobyl experience, even some jets and sub-marines are powered by nuclear reactors. That's how safe it has become.

You obviously don't know anything about nuclear power plants. I suggest you start by reading IAEA standards, you can then decide if Nigeria can actually "own" a nuclear power plant.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by BetaThings: 9:04pm On Sep 08, 2013
ghananotnaija:

To show sincerity and good intentions, that is where it should be
The North is too volatille
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by 10cent: 9:04pm On Sep 08, 2013
See people who want Ţ☹ go Ţ☹ heaven but don't want Ţ☹ die. Nuclear energy has a high prospect of changing tђε̲̣̣̣̥ power problem we are facing in this country.
Fø̲̣̣я those being scared of it, it is dangerous yes agreed but there are many nuclear power stations in tђε̲̣̣̣̥ world today ãпԃ since tђε̲̣̣̣̥ technology started there has been only two accidents chernobyl ãпԃ Fukushima. Tђε̲̣̣̣̥ probability of accident occuring is low. ïf properly managed, it will be safe ãпԃ nothing will happen. I'm looking foreward Ţ☹ tђε̲̣̣̣̥ day nuclear energy will solve Nigeria's power problem Fø̲̣̣я good
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 9:06pm On Sep 08, 2013
nues aweso:

You obviously don't know anything about nuclear power plants. I suggest you start by reading IAEA standards, you can then decide if Nigeria can actually "own" a nuclear power plant.

My dear, I have done all that research, Yes, we can "own" a nuclear power for peaceful purposes ONLY. And last I checked, Electricity Generation is PEACEFUL PURPOSE.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by BetaThings: 9:06pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

If fire breaks out on the 9th floor ?

Its simple, take the emergency exit, a parachute or get burnt.

I hope I passed the interview.
hahaha
You did by Nigerian standard
Billyonaire:
it SHOULD NOT stop others from building skyscrapers.
Replace "others" with countries with regard for human life

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 9:06pm On Sep 08, 2013
BetaThings:

The North is too volatille
ooo really? Why?
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 9:08pm On Sep 08, 2013
10cent: See people who want Ţ☹ go Ţ☹ heaven but don't want Ţ☹ die. Nuclear energy has a high prospect of changing tђε̲̣̣̣̥ power problem we are facing in this country.
Fø̲̣̣я those being scared of it, it is dangerous yes agreed but there are many nuclear power stations in tђε̲̣̣̣̥ world today ãпԃ since tђε̲̣̣̣̥ technology started there has been only two accidents chernobyl ãпԃ Fukushima. Tђε̲̣̣̣̥ probability of accident occuring is low. ïf properly managed, it will be safe ãпԃ nothing will happen. I'm looking foreward Ţ☹ tђε̲̣̣̣̥ day nuclear energy will solve Nigeria's power problem Fø̲̣̣я good

Clap! Clap!! Clap!!!
Clap! Clap!! Clap!!!
Clap! Clap!! Clap!!!
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by BetaThings: 9:09pm On Sep 08, 2013
shymexx:

I doubt Islamists would want to attack a nuclear plant. Moreover, the so-called Islamists in naija are political pawns on the naija chessboard, so evidently they're not much of a security threat to things like that.

Bayelsa and the Niger Delta already have oil pollution, gas flaring etc. to deal with. They don't need more. And the South is small compared to the massive wastelands up North.
Good points
And to decimate them too. But I suggest we put the burial site in your village
BTW no neighbouring country will allow it. It is just a few hours for the fall out to get to London

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by erictoonice: 9:09pm On Sep 08, 2013
we have oil and gas but we cant generate electricityvm fr our selves, i hav worked in many oil fields in Nigeria, Nigeria burns(flares) more than 17billion cubic metres of natural gas yearly, enof to take care of more than a quarter of constant enectricity needs in africa. Nothing connected to the govt actually works well in Nigeria. We are much more than doomed!!! if nigeria goes nuclear, me and my family are moving as far as possible! cos after a maximum of two years, na end time things fr naija ooo!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Join Us Build Nigeria, It Is Not Too Late – Arewa Youths Tell Nnamdi Kanu / Some PDP Members Are On Tramadol; Akpabio Blasts Ben Bruce, Others (Vid) / Youths Break Into APC National Secretariat In Abuja, Chase Away Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.