Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,501 members, 7,816,192 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:22 AM

Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! (27886 Views)

Nigeria Picks Kogi, Akwa Ibom For Nuclear Power Plants / President Jonathan Commissions Phase 1 504MW Alaoji Power Station, In Abia- Pics / Commisioning Of Unit 6 (1320 MW) Egbin Power Station -live On Nta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:13pm On Sep 08, 2013
skyfall: They should build it in Otueke, Bayelsa State. Those jobless militants will be staffed there.
grin
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:13pm On Sep 08, 2013
BetaThings:
Religion of love of turning the other cheek
Another brilliant idea from Hitler's brethren
u guy hlready started blowing up urself we gon help u do it faster. Btw, im not Catholic unlike them I don't turn the other cheek, I match swords with swords and knives with knives
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by wirinet(m): 8:13pm On Sep 08, 2013
tbaba1234: Also, who deals with Nuclear waste..

We are talking about a country that cannot maintain its stadia, airports and monuments.

dont worry, they will dump solid radioactive wastes in lagoons and the sea like they dump sh.it into the lagos lagoon and the radioactive water will be disposed through soakaways.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by gnykelly(m): 8:14pm On Sep 08, 2013
a nice way by uncle Ebele Abdullahi Temitope Coulibay Azikwe Jonathan to half our population. smiley
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:14pm On Sep 08, 2013
ghananotnaija:

Because God made a mistake when He put oil in Nigeria, so there is all this money from oil in this country. So I'm here to get a piece of the action. The same reason that Nigerians and other Africans venture to Europe, Asia, and North America, suffering through all that racist bigotry and discrimination in order to live a better life.

Don't think I'm in Nigeria because it's a great country. Nigeria's only relevant in the world because of the oil under its ground.

You are welcomed to Nigeria, by the way, my cook is from Ghana. Nigeria is blessed with unlimited resources, you can always take a bite, and make sure you pay respect.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by tbaba1234: 8:15pm On Sep 08, 2013
wirinet:

dont worry, they will dump solid radioactive wastes in lagoons and the sea like they dump sh.it into the lagos lagoon and the radioactive water will be disposed through soakaways.

grin grin

God be with us.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by BetaThings: 8:16pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

Flood doesnt not affect Nuclear Plants adversely, infact, Iced Water is a major coolant for reactors.

Power Plants and Reactors are always sited at "No Go Areas", you have no business journeying into the desert, like I repeatedly say. Must be sited at "inhabitable" places. Its not big grammar naw.
we had ample warning of impending flooding, what did we do?
Have you been to the national stadium in Lagos lately, or the one in Abuja
A nuclear accident will not be that generous
Meanwhile the question remains unanswered, have you ever seen Nigeria put out a fire that started on the 8th floor and above?
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by tbaba1234: 8:17pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:
Which country is that ?

Take a visit to National Stadium Lagos..
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by 175(m): 8:19pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire: I can understand the fears of many people here, especially the very ignorant ones.

Nuclear Energy is the future.

The Nuclear Plant can be located in the deserts of Borno or the Chad Basin even the rain forests of Cross River thousands of kilometers away from habitable zones.

This is one source of energy that has abundance of fuel in Nigeria and is not dirty like coal, not fluctuating waterflow like Dams and not lost to vandalism like gas.

Should we build nuclear power plants, then we can also harness Uranium with other isotopes for other uses.

No country can dream of being a world power without Nuclear Energy Savvy, except we wanna remain a boi boi nation for ever.

Billy guy am a GEJite like u. . . .but on dis, no vex Thunda faya u!!™
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:20pm On Sep 08, 2013
Great idea - however, I don't think the west and Israel would allow that to happen.

After the Russians build it, they'll probably bomb it. grin Nuclear plant in Africa? - that's unacceptable to the west!

Anyway, Nigeria has a lot of wastelands in the North and that should be a perfect location for it. And it would be closer to whatever uranium stockpile naija has.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 08, 2013
BetaThings:
we had ample warning of impending flooding, what did we do?
Have you been to the national stadium in Lagos lately, or the one in Abuja
A nuclear accident will not be that generous
Meanwhile the question remains unanswered, have you ever seen Nigeria put out a fire that started on the 8th floor and above?

Infrastructures problem in Lagos is second to none in the whole country, you need to travel out of Lagos to the South/South, South East States and I am sure you will know some parts of the country is far very organized.

I dont know why Lagos is so ram-shackled and unkept. Apart from VI/Ikoyi/Ikeja and few adjoining areas, a visit to Lagos might make someone feel the entire Nigeria is filthy.

You do not have to use the state of Lagos and the mismanagement culture to judge the other parts of the country.

If Nuclear Plants are to be sited, Lagos' topography is not considerable for such, we need to put it in arid region very far from habitation of humans.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 08, 2013
What about the refineries? how long have we had them. The most damning thing is that we won't actually know things have gone awry until we start getting one eyed babies. ifihear?!
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 08, 2013
175:

Billy guy am a GEJite like u. . . .but on dis, no vex Thunda faya u!!™

I have lightening protector on the roof. Thanks.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Confusion: 8:24pm On Sep 08, 2013
BetaThings:

Were you a victim of last year's floods. Tell me how good we were

Don't just agitate here.Let me see you appeal to Jonathan to site it in your village
BTW after the nuclear plant is built, we will not need a tedious census again, you will be able to count Nigerians by a show of hands

Truth was that we didn't manage the flood incident well, and that was because we never thot about the possibility of it happening but I can bet you that the next time it happens you will see improvement
I know a couple of firms that lost millions because of the flood and have put in measures to tackle a reoccurrence, machineries were imported and people were trained to that effect
As an individual I will rather than wallow in mediocrity
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by ghananotnaija(m): 8:24pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

You are welcomed to Nigeria, by the way, my cook is from Ghana. Nigeria is blessed with unlimited resources, you can always take a bite, and make sure you pay respect.

Well, economic migrants to Nigeria from other countries from Africa like me don't take a bite for free, that's for sure. We contribute to the economy of Nigeria by our honest labour in exchange for a piece of the pie. We just wish that more Nigerians do the same instead of trying to get their share by dishonest means.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by ujoinme: 8:24pm On Sep 08, 2013
There should be more threads about nuclear technology in Nairaland. 7 pages and nothing tribal thats a record the moderators should take note of that.lol
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:25pm On Sep 08, 2013
tbaba1234:

Take a visit to National Stadium Lagos..

Most places in Lagos are filthy men, let's always use other places in Nigeria as case study.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by igbo2011(m): 8:26pm On Sep 08, 2013
Do you want this in Africa? Pollution? There is only one earth.

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/breaking_news_detail.asp?id=40567&icid=4&d_str=
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by ghananotnaija(m): 8:26pm On Sep 08, 2013
shymexx:
Anyway, Nigeria has a lot of wastelands in the North and that should be a perfect location for it. And it would be closer to whatever uranium stockpile naija has.

A nuclear plant needs a lot of water, and the North of Nigeria is rather dry.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by nuesaweso(f): 8:27pm On Sep 08, 2013
Please who started this bullcrap that Nigeria has abundance of Uranium?

Nuclear is a bad idea for Nigeria, my opinion.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:27pm On Sep 08, 2013
ghananotnaija:

Well, economic migrants to Nigeria from other countries from Africa like me don't take a bite for free, that's for sure. We contribute to the economy of Nigeria by our honest labour in exchange for a piece of the pie. We just wish that more Nigerians do the same instead of trying to get their share by dishonest means.

I think I understand where you are going. Nigerians are not alone in dishonesty. The reason you are here is because you want some food for your table and I expect you to respect where your food is coming from.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by tbaba1234: 8:29pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

Most places in Lagos are filthy men, let's always use other places in Nigeria as case study.

I am talking about a national stadium, not the city of lagos.. And i am not talking only about filth either.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Rossikk(m): 8:30pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

I am NOT in support of Technology transfer to Nigerians at any stage, because that clause will make the project 'unsaleable' to the public.

Sorry I disagree. The Nigerian public is not about ''handing everything to whites to run, and if you plan to hand it to blacks we'll reject it.''. That is not the Nigeria I know and has never been. Technology transfer has been vital to Nigerians right from the days of Gowon, and cannot be an afterthought.

I believe a consortium of Nigeria business(es) can sign MoU with Russian Energy company to Build and Maintain these Power plants under IEAEA framework, and sell the power generated to bulk traders.

We can talk about technology transfer 50 yrs from now, what we need is electricity for our factories and homes.

The Nuclear Power Plants and Reactors should be built thousands of kilometers away from habitable land.

I'm sorry but your position is not that taken by the Nigerian govt. Technology transfer is a vital component of any development drive in Nigeria. We cannot perpetually be at the mercy of foreigners. 50 years is unacceptably long and I don't see any govt official accepting that. There must be a program of training Nigerians to man critical sectors of any power plant operating in Nigeria, nuclear or otherwise, even if it's within the parent company framework.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by nuesaweso(f): 8:33pm On Sep 08, 2013
Can we elevate the level of discussion a bit to the technical side of things. Does anyone know what reactors the Russians use? LWR, PWR, CANDU?
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by ba7man(m): 8:33pm On Sep 08, 2013
Two words....."Chernobyl" and "Fukushima". Google it up.

We find it hard to maintain roads, bridges, buildings etc.....we now want to add Nuclear Reactors to that list??
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by MacLovington(m): 8:35pm On Sep 08, 2013
CROWÉ: If Nigeria develops a nuclear project it would be time to pack up and leave, because within 5 years that shit will kill us all.

Oh ye of little faith.

Technically every modern thing (electricity, refinery, industries etc) should kill us in that country but they haven't.

Some safety measures can be built in. We have solid ground, not earthquate-prone and accidents can happen anywhere.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by siddiq202(m): 8:37pm On Sep 08, 2013
Even if I'm half asleep, I will not support this move in this present Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by ghananotnaija(m): 8:38pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

I think I understand where you are going. Nigerians are not alone in dishonesty. The reason you are here is because you want some food for your table and I expect you to respect where your food is coming from.

My food comes from God alone, and I receive my blessings from God with my own hands by my hard work. I earn a living not because of what Nigerians are doing, but in spite of what Nigerians are doing.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:40pm On Sep 08, 2013
Rossikk:

Sorry I disagree. The Nigerian public is not about ''handing everything to whites to run, and if you plan to hand it to blacks we'll reject it.''. That is not the Nigeria I know and has never been. Technology transfer has been vital to Nigerians right from the days of Gowon, and cannot be an afterthought.

I'm sorry but your position is not that taken by the Nigerian govt. Technology transfer is a vital component of any development drive in Nigeria. We cannot perpetually be at the mercy of foreigners. 50 years is unacceptably long and I don't see any govt official accepting that. There must be a program of training Nigerians to man critical sectors of any power plant operating in Nigeria, nuclear or otherwise, even if it's within the parent company framework.

There is nothing wrong about what you are suggesting, but you can see the protest against this project from Nairaland, a people who can read, write and operate computer.

I am 100% for technology transfer but to sell the idea, an average man on the street knows our laxity when it comes to maintenance, so its best to first of all tell them that they white man will handle it, but that clause regarding Technology transfer must be structured in the MoU.

I was talking about this from the public orientation aspect of it, the masses must be enlightened before embarking on the project and the best way to sell it, is to tell them -"Na white man, go handle everything".
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:41pm On Sep 08, 2013
ghananotnaija:

A nuclear plant needs a lot of water, and the North of Nigeria is rather dry.

There's a large reservoir of water under the Sahara. Naija just need to do what gaddafi did and build a next man-made river from that. Heck, they can always get tunnels/pipes to connect the Niger river to wherever they might build the nuclear plant.

The South is too populated for a nuclear plant. That's a disaster waiting to happen.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:42pm On Sep 08, 2013
ghananotnaija:

My food comes from God alone, and I receive my blessings from God with my own hands by my hard work. I earn a living not because of what Nigerians are doing, but in spite of what Nigerians are doing.

Do you mean that God, the provider of food, relocated to Nigeria ? That's a plus for us, then.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 8:43pm On Sep 08, 2013
ba7man: Two words....."Chernobyl" and "Fukushima". Google it up.

We find it hard to maintain roads, bridges, buildings etc.....we now want to add Nuclear Reactors to that list??

This isn't about roads, bridges etc. it's about futuristic plans and being able to compete with the big boys.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Pictures Of The Reconstruction Of Enugu-Port Harcourt Express Today / From London To Abuja In 50 Days: Buhari’s Return -Reuben Abati / Atiku's Campaign Start On Monday With The Launch Of His Policy Document

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.