Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,898 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments (3792 Views)

REPORT: Yar'adua Is Brain-Damaged / Musa Yar'adua Is The New President Of Nigeria! / Yar'Adua Is Die (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by Texcee(f): 5:52am On Jun 19, 2008
This is a piece I came across from the tribune.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sun/15062008/news/news1.html

[size=15pt]PDP set to explode: Over composition of board appointments

- Aggrieved zones to confront Ogbulafor, Yar’Adua

- We are marginalised under Yar’Adua, says Middle Belt Xtians
[/size]

The seeming peace within the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) is about to rupture and give way to bitter acrimony among members against the backdrop of the alleged lopsided distribution of appointments into boards of government parastatals by the Yar’Adua administration.

A proposal for the distribution of the board appointments currently being considered by the PDP, Sunday Tribune can report has started tearing the party apart following vehement complaints by four geo-political zones that the North had been heavily favoured in the sharing of the appointments.

Some aggrieved members of the party had leaked the proposed composition of appointments into boards of government parastatals to the media with indication that out of about 758 available appointments, the North-west zone where Yar’Adua comes from had been favoured with 145 slots as against South-south which got only 122.

The proposal also indicate that while the Middle Belt zone got 140 appointments, the South-east zone, which considers itself the most marginalized in power distribution in Nigeria ,was allotted only 104 slots.

However, the South-west zone was offered 123 appointments into boards of government parastatals while North-east got 124, according to the proposal.

Against this background, the South-east, South-west and the South-south members of the party are already rearing for a show down with the leadership of the PDP and indeed President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua on the basis of their perceived complacence with the increasing dominance of the North in the balance of power under the present civilian government.

Some top members of causes of each of the aggrieved zones in the ruling party, who spoke with the Sunday Tribune in separate interviews dropped the hint that they would reject the board appointments allocated to their respective zones if no alteration was be made to balance the equation among the six geo-political zones.

It was learnt that while the South-east and the South-south zones had met on the issue and resolved to meet President Yar’Adua next week with a view to formally laying their complaints to him, the south-west caucus in the ruling party are said to be contemplating holding its meeting mid next week to take a decision.

It would be the first time since the government of President Yar’Adua took off that caucuses of the PDP on zonal basis would be coming together to lay bitter complaints against the lopsided distribution of power.

A South-south leader, who spoke with SundayTribune said the only explanation offered by the presidency on the lopsided distribution of the board appointments was that the compilation was done on the basis of number of states per zone, stressing that no member of the party agreed with such explanation since the situation was not so during the past government of President Olusegun Obasanjo.

Although the Middle belt zone appeared to have been favoured in the proposal for the distribution of board appointments, the composition was said to have kindled the anger of the Christians from the zone who are said to have complained about being maliciously marginalized under the Yar’Adua administration.

Investigations however, revealed that the turn of events has started encouraging the regrouping of different fora such as Middle Belt Forum and Christian Organisations with the intention to fight the Yar’Adua government on the perceived marginalisation of Christians in his administration.

A cleric and member of one of the Christian organizations in Plateau State, Mr. Kenneth Abba expressed dismay at the sudden twist in the distribution of power under the present civilian administration, stressing that government has more to learn from its predecessor which he said distanced itself from acts of tribalism and nepotism.

He said “From indications, we have returned to the old order which we felt we have put behind us in Nigeria. if there is anything this government is doing and doing well, it is to remind us about our differences; that you are a Muslim and I am a Christian and that you come from the south while I come from the north. This is dangerous for all of us. It was not like this with Obasanjo”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is also widely rumored in the press that Yar'adua is keen on replacing Charles Soludo of the CBN with a Northerner.
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by superman(m): 6:18am On Jun 19, 2008
the rule of law[b][/b] grin
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by landis(m): 7:03am On Jun 19, 2008
too late to cry.

grin cheesy grin
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by maxell(f): 2:56pm On Jun 19, 2008
Yar'adua is just not the right man to be leading Nigeria
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by landis(m): 3:16pm On Jun 19, 2008
maxell:

Yar'adua is just not the right man to be leading Nigeria

with respect, this is idle talk.

You should planning for how to ensure he does not continue after 2011.
grin cheesy grin
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by SENATORJD(m): 3:18pm On Jun 19, 2008
landis:

You should planning for how to ensure he does not continue after 2011.
grin cheesy grin
or even reach 2011 cool
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by maxell(f): 3:38pm On Jun 19, 2008
SENATOR JD:

or even reach 2011 cool

Precisely. His case is still pending at the tribunal, so he might not even make it to 2011.

But seriously, how can anyone expect to rule nigeria in a democratic setting and just fill all the
prominent cabinet slots with a bunch of Northerners ?

- Look at what is going on at Tinapa, yar'adua's administration has virtually put that project on hold

- The power projects at the Niger delta have been put on hold

- Even the lagos atlantic city project undertaken by Fashola and some private investors, the fed govt is intervening;
they are claiming it is federal property, not lagos'
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by naijaking1: 3:50pm On Jun 19, 2008
Making Yar'dua the president would end up becoming OBJ's worst mistake.
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by CrudeOil2(m): 4:04pm On Jun 19, 2008
The south should not expect anything from this sick man's government. Thats it.
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by favcom(m): 4:46pm On Jun 19, 2008
Very soon, Aso Rock would be full of aboki marauders (if they aren't there already) cool
We can't complain sha. . .where were we when the guy enter there? undecided
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by SENATORJD(m): 5:02pm On Jun 19, 2008
i have never been a tribalistic person, my own has always been let the right man do the job
but yarryyslowyydua's own is to much angry
he should thread carefully as regards issues like this nigeria is not a place where u do such
removing this person and putting a northener and all such
i have no problem with that but he shouldnt turn it into a way of compensating northeners
if not he would make a mes of his regime
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by DisGuy: 5:57pm On Jun 19, 2008
maxell:

Precisely. His case is still pending at the tribunal, so he might not even make it to 2011.

But seriously, how can anyone expect to rule nigeria in a democratic setting and just fill all the
prominent cabinet slots with a bunch of Northerners ?

- Look at what is going on at Tinapa, yar'adua's administration has virtually put that project on hold

- The power projects at the Niger delta have been put on hold

- Even the lagos atlantic city project undertaken by Fashola and some private investors, the fed govt is intervening;
they are claiming it is federal property, not lagos'

what exactly do you mean when you say prominent slots? do you mean lucrative, 'juicy' slots?

when a southerner appoints a northerner people rarely complain, but when a northerner appoints a northerner . . .

for all you know these people might just coincidentally be the people next in line anyway- deputies and co

yaradua shouldn't make the mistake Obj made in his first stint appointing politicians instead of technocrats!!
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by Afam(m): 6:18pm On Jun 19, 2008
naijaking1:

Making Yar'dua the president would end up becoming OBJ's worst mistake.

True, very true, finally a good reason to bash OBJ. What was OBJ thinking?
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by SkyBlue1: 7:05pm On Jun 19, 2008
To be honest i was expecting to see something like Yar Adua gave 300 positions to people from Katsina state and gave 5 or 10 to people not from the North. But ratios like 145 to 122? or 124 to 123? Come on, are we not really just trrying to fuel a tribal controversy? I won't say anything till these appointed people have taken a first action or presented their plans of action. At this stage in Nigerian history i really don't care who leads as long as the job is done. Odilli was from his state and what did he do for his so called people? What about Ibori? Should i go on?

People shouting for Yaradua to be removed now just amuse me because they expected much from the result of a fraudulent election whereby the person elected did not even plan to be president. And then we are all surprised he seems to have no plans of action?  DUUUUUUHHHH? And then when the election tribunal so cowardly with the most contrived reasons in the midst of all the evidence did not annul the election, the reponses i saw on Nairaland and the rejoicing is just something i can't forget, if that was the response to the judiciary standing by the wrong thing in the midst of all that evidence then we are really in trouble. And then now saying "Making Yaradua president was OBJ's worst mistake" really shows we are in trouble. Since when did OBJ speak for 140million people? Is election now accepted to be what OBJ wants? Sure Yaradua is frustrating me with his inactions and actions etc but what is most shocking is that we planted banana and all of a sudden people are shocked that we are not harvesting oranges, i  . . . .just . . . i just don't understand this.

If people want to start acting to remove anybody they should be working to remove house of rep members in their state and from their state representing in the state and federal house as well as senators because we are really in trouble there as well. How many bills have been passed? FOI has STILL not been passed with the most silly reasons given while they have had chance to delibrate dress codes and Obama commendations. Let us see what the supreme court would say about Yaradua and worst case scenario if he is not impeached then people had better start looking for better candidates for 2011 and start campaigning now for such candidates and for solid ELECTORAL REFORM or do we want to start waiting so we can demand to sow where we did not reap YET AGAIN? LOL typical Nigerian reasoning of blaming everyone but wanting to always wash hands clean from the situation.
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by naijaking1: 7:24pm On Jun 19, 2008
Sky Blue:

To be honest i was expecting to see something like Yar Adua gave 300 positions to people from Katsina state and gave 5 or 10 to people not from the North. But ratios like 145 to 122? or 124 to 123? Come on, are we not really just trrying to fuel a tribal controversy? I won't say anything till these appointed people have taken a first action or presented their plans of action. At this stage in Nigerian history i really don't care who leads as long as the job is done. Odilli was from his state and what did he do for his so called people? What about Ibori? Should i go on?

People shouting for Yaradua to be removed now just amuse me because they expected much from the result of a fraudulent election whereby the person elected did not even plan to be president. And then we are all surprised he seems to have no plans of action? DUUUUUUHHHH? And then when the election tribunal so cowardly with the most contrived reasons in the midst of all the evidence did not annul the election, the reponses i saw on Nairaland and the rejoicing is just something i can't forget, if that was the response to the judiciary standing by the wrong thing in the midst of all that evidence then we are really in trouble. And then now saying "Making Yaradua president was OBJ's worst mistake" really shows we are in trouble. Since when did OBJ speak for 140million people? Is election now accepted to be what OBJ wants? Sure Yaradua is frustrating me with his inactions and actions etc but what is most shocking is that we planted banana and all of a sudden people are shocked that we are not harvesting oranges, i . . . .just . . . i just don't understand this.

If people want to start acting to remove anybody they should be working to remove house of rep members in their state and from their state representing in the state and federal house as well as senators because we are really in trouble there as well. How many bills have been passed? FOI has STILL not been passed with the most silly reasons given while they have had chance to delibrate dress codes and Obama commendations. Let us see what the supreme court would say about Yaradua and worst case scenario if he is not impeached then people had better start looking for better candidates for 2011 and start campaigning now or do we want to start waiting so we can demand to sow where we did not reap YET AGAIN? LOL typical Nigerian reasoning of blaming everyone but wanting to always wash hands clean from the situation.

You did not care to mention the 103 given to south-east?

No need to revise history, we all know that the last election was hardly a reflection of the peoples' will, it was a reflection of OBJ's will.

Don't blame 140 million Nigerians, blame OBJ!!!

OBJ planted banana, he knew he planted banana, or he thought he was planting oranges? Our problem in naija is that by culture or training, we find it difficult to assign blame or responsibility, so it's easier to blame the hapless masses.

If we could praise OBJ for the wonderful things he did in telephone, banking, etc, why can't we also blame him for the stupid things he did in power sector and installing Yardua who was not even ready to run for presidency?

By reflection can we build a better society.
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by SkyBlue1: 7:32pm On Jun 19, 2008
@naijaking i never absolved OBJ of any blame but let us be honest and fair too, are the Nigerian masses not to blame too? Somebody steals blindly from them but buys them a plate of bole and they will give this person chieftaincy title and throw owambe for him calling him "my son". So what happened when OBJ foisted somebody on the whole nation? Where were the serious protests? Something that should have triggered a nationwide protest simply because it was fraudulent and because we have had enough quickly disintegrated into tribal sentiment of it was the norths turn anyway, etc. And then we are shocked that people continue to have the audacity to do these things to us when we don't complain or fight against it? NIGERIA! So what were the masses doing when OBJ was doing all of this? No one wants to stick out their neck for the right thing and then we cry bloody murder? It just completely defies logic. Don't worry, just you wait. there will be no campaign for electoral reforms, even if supreme court rules that last elections were perfect, NOTHING WILL HAPPEN, no one will raise a fist to demand better but when election comes and they are rigged AGAIN, you will see people expressing shock and horror. LOOOOL. Only in Nigeria.

Demanding to reap where we did not sow, we are going to wait for age to kill everybody from IBB to Atiku then we will say it was god. Someone will take his or her time and loot the nation and slowly kill a people for decades, no one will say anything. Such a person will take time to go on holiday to take  break and comeback to continue such, will do this to his hearts satisfaction and live to be 100 and when he dies from old age after living much higher than the average life expectancy in the country people will start praising God. God must really be frustrated with such a nation he so richly blessed that continues to willingly (yes willingly) suffer. Even if it is to go and buy tomato from the market people will ask God to do it when he gave them legs. Nigeria.
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by SENATORJD(m): 7:44pm On Jun 19, 2008
Sky Blue:

To be honest i was expecting to see something like Yar Adua gave 300 positions to people from Katsina state and gave 5 or 10 to people not from the
People shouting for Yaradua to be removed now just amuse me because they expected much from the result of a fraudulent election whereby the person elected did not even plan to be president. And then we are all surprised he seems to have no plans of action?
then who came up with the seven point agenda, the party i guess?
naijaking1:

If we could praise OBJ for the wonderful things he did in telephone, banking, etc, why can't we also blame him for the stupid things he did in power sector and installing Yardua who was not even ready to run for presidency?
By reflection can we build a better society.
yes by reflection we can,
but have argued this with someone .was a gun put to his head and his family's life and properties threatened?no they werent so if he never had the thought of being and finally he was convinced of being one he had a choice to say no, so no1 should give that crap about him being cajoled into it,he had a choice many backed down why didnt he? he wasnt forced into being the president of Nigeria because i blive he had the power of saying NO he could have left easily as ex governor kastina state and enjoy all d work he did(that is if he did any), but for whatever reason they would want u and I to blive he was the best choice and like a sheep being led to the slaughter he willingly put his head.
as much as i have given him an iota of doubt that he would perform, but he is getting too slow.
maybe its me , but i am yet to c something that i can hold on to that he has done(make una no say Rule of law)

@sky blue ure right about celebrating bad, thats what u get when a bunch of uneducated idiots are in authority. i dnt c y a person learned as u would go kneeling for a politician that looted ur states money for any reason or would u?(rhetorical question).
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by SkyBlue1: 7:50pm On Jun 19, 2008
@SENATOR JD please explain that 7 point agenda so that we can understand. It is just like me being appointed president tomorrow and i write down,
1-Education, 2-Power, 3-Transport, etc and then calling it 3 point agenda. What exactly are the policies that would be put in place for these areas to be improved? In fact what are the plans for these areas? What goals were set so that one can measure wether the 7 point agenda was a sucess or not? That is just a vague list of very obvious problems that should be tackled anyway which a 3 year old could make up. What is being done to address those 7 points? Again, did Yaradua campaign during the elction? When was he selected for the elction? He had a chance to say no and he didn't why? Just because he did not say no does not automatically mean he had a plan. When did Obama start campaigning for presidency, how far from the election? When did Yaradua start campaigning if he even did such?? How many months or weeks even to the elcetion if not days? PDP does nbot seem to have an agenda as a party. It is a party which after all their history seems best buried as one of the Nightmares of the past.
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by naijaking1: 7:51pm On Jun 19, 2008
Don't get me wrong, naija people have their own apathetic anti-social syndrome. Most societies would have protested against the killing of the Igbos, stealing and damaging of the oil in the niger delta, cancellation of June 12, and finally the OBJ-Yardua handover after a sham election, but that's not naija people.

Most of us can't think beyond our respective tribal/ethnic enclaves, so if another tribe is temporarily being abused, we think that we are safe until the fire gets to our door-steps. That said, it's easier to hold one inept dictator responsible than hold the whole nation responsible.
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by SkyBlue1: 7:59pm On Jun 19, 2008
@naijaking but absolving the people of the blame which they rightly share, is that not living in denial? Who are the people? We are the people, you and I as well as millions of others. You don't have to tell me whether you felt outrage at certain issues or what you have done etc but think about it. That sort of social awakening is needed. OBJ has a lot of blame sure, i never said he did not. But who let him wreak such havock? Was everyone sleeping? When will Nigerians stop selling their rights for a plate of rice? People will come to a village after stealing all the money in the world and such will be welcomed etc. It is just sickening and i will never be a part of such. So in the midst of all of this where are such people supposed to feel shame for what they have done before we even begin to speak of prosecution, etc? You give a child a pat on the back for stealing and then expect him and others not to steal? I am still desperately trying to attatch some logic to it.
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by noetic(m): 8:16pm On Jun 19, 2008
@ topic,

As far as I m concerned the entire country is being marginalised.  The citizenry are opressed, cheated and living in abject poverty.
The marginalisation paradigm is not between the north and the south but between the elite/political class and the people.

wether from the south/south or the middle belt, all beneficiaries of this board appointments will end up rich (financially), they readily can afford to send their children to universities abroad, they will have official cars which will be fuelled by government, they will also have mobile policemen attached to them for security purposes, whoever has no tittle amongst them will readily get one, because of the influx of money which they are not expected to account for. so regardless of the proportion of this appointments based on regional angles, the person or persons suffering from real marginalisation is not the average igbo, hausa or yoruba elite but the common man who regardless of his tribe is suffering as a result of the inactions of the elite class.

money is only available to be embezzled, if and only if there is/are no vision to be implemented. this brings yaradua to mind.
his only vision and agenda in power is to pacify all the ego's and intreasts obasanjo bruised and in the process he also doesnt want to bruise obj's ego. this readily explains the controversial policy reversals, the power mergency debacle, the nepotical appointments of waziri and okiro and a host of others.

until and unless we refuse to be divided based on tribal and religious sentiments and begin to ideally stand up for our rights collectively, we will forever be opressed. a good starting point is to vote and defend your vote.
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by deor03(m): 10:53pm On Jun 19, 2008
Nigerian rulers have been playing tribal politics for 48 years. Funny enough , we ,the masses do all the shouting; they continue to reap the benefit of our noises and punish us for being fools.
They meet behind closed/open doors and wonder how foolish we are.

They have started the game again and we are echoing at the top of our voices shouting the SAME English word "MARGINALISATION"

As far as i am concerned , there are only two tribes in Nigeria. The rulers and the masses. I have vowed not to join tribalistic , myopic campaign in my life

N.B
When a man from my village was appointed into a Federal position years back, we thought finally we would have roads,water etc. To be honest with you there was rapid development but it was confined to his 4 plots of land in the village. So of what benefit is it to his people, his clan, his tribe, or Geo political region.

1 Like

Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by naijaking1: 2:17am On Jun 20, 2008
Sky Blue:

@naijaking but absolving the people of the blame which they rightly share, is that not living in denial? Who are the people? We are the people, you and I as well as millions of others. You don't have to tell me whether you felt outrage at certain issues or what you have done etc but think about it. That sort of social awakening is needed. OBJ has a lot of blame sure, i never said he did not. But who let him wreak such havock? Was everyone sleeping? When will Nigerians stop selling their rights for a plate of rice? People will come to a village after stealing all the money in the world and such will be welcomed etc. It is just sickening and i will never be a part of such. So in the midst of all of this where are such people supposed to feel shame for what they have done before we even begin to speak of prosecution, etc? You give a child a pat on the back for stealing and then expect him and others not to steal? I am still desperately trying to attatch some logic to it.

I feel your pain my brother. I have since applied biblical and sociological rationalization to the naija apathy. People who have been kept in darkness for too long will fight you so that they could remain in their darkness. There is a good sociological term for it---Plato's cave.

I don't know your religious persuasion, but in the bible, you remember that some Israelites actually wanted to continue suffering in the land of Egypt, they challenged Moses about the prospects of taking them to the promised land.

In our contemporary times, we had many African Americans who not only fought to remain in slavery, but swore that the white man was actually born to be their master forever and ever.

In Nigeria, too many things have gone wrong for too many times, and people, I mean good, educated people don't even know how things are supposed to be in the first place. Since after Independence, it seemed that the evil ideas have always won the good ideas, our people tragically have become used to the idea of evil wininng all the time.

Like I said, starting from the selective killing of prominent Nigerian leaders, to the massacre of Igbos, to destruction of the Niger-delta for oil, to the routine tolerance of corrupt army officers, to annulement of the June 12 election, to the selection of OBJ to appease the west, and to OBJ's selection of a visionless, unprepared, and uninformed Yardua as president; there were many instances the people would have risen in opposition and anger, but no, as far as it's not in their house, why would they worry?

Apart from Soyinka and Gani, I do not remember any other voice from the South-west Nigeria condenming the massacre of Igbos. Most advanced culture would have reasoned that whoever massacred my neighbor to the east for no just reason would one day massacre my own people in the west, no, not in Nigeria.

It took 47 years to make Nigerians apathetic, it would take just as long to make them sympathetic to their own cause.

It would be easier for a leader with vision to set things straight than to change and heal Nigeria's damaged psyche.

We pray for a Ghandi, Abe Lincoln, Charles Degaulle, Winston Churchill or a Mandela.
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by Texcee(f): 2:31am On Jun 20, 2008
[size=14pt]
Yar’Adua under fire: Over lopsidedness in appointments - Federal Character Commission begins probe
[/size]

http://www.tribune.com.ng/20062008/news/news1.html

PRESIDENT Umaru Yar’Adua may be heading for a showdown with the Federal Character Commission (FCC) over various appointments he has made since he assumed office last year.

There have been reports that the president’s recent appointments had been in favour of a particular ethnic group in the country, a situation which is said to be causing some anger among other ethnic groups.

Recently, the president had appointed people of Northern extraction into the leadership of the Customs, the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA).

He also appointed Northerners as the chairman of the Security Reform Committee and Special Adviser on National Assembly matters.

However, the FCC has begun the probe of these appointments and has threatened to reverse any appointment found to be contrary to the principles of Federal Character as enshrined in the 1999 Constitution.

The Executive Chairman of the FCC, Professor Shuaibu Oba Abdulraheem, made this disclosure on Thursday at his maiden press briefing.

He said since President Yar’Adua appeared on a live television interview marking his first anniversary in office, the questions of lopsidedness of appointments became critical, saying he had ordered his men to compile a comprehensive list of all the heads of the federal parastatal agencies with a view to analysing them and making appropriate recommendations.

He said, however, that contrary to the sentiments expressed in some quarters, “President Yar’Adua is a law-abiding citizen and an apostle of due process and rule of law and would not have subverted the principles of federal character in his distribution of appointments and allocation of government resources.”

He said though Yar’Adua, since assumption of office, had not made many appointments, the commission would probe the existing structure and “I can assure you, if we find such inequity in the distribution of his political appointments and allocation of economic resources, my commission will say no to it, backing it with the law establishing the commission.”

Abdulraheem added that the commission had also commenced vigorous monitoring of the Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) to ensure compliance with the prescribed percentage range under the commission’s guidelines and formula so as to ensure fair and equitable distribution of employment and appointments among the geopolitical zones in the country.

He said already, 25 MDAs had been found to have flouted the guidelines and were currently under investigations, adding that the preliminary investigation into the activities of two of such agencies, National Board for Technical Education, Kaduna, and National Broadcasting Commission, Abuja, had yielded evidence of infringement of the federal character principles.

“All the options open to the commission are being closely studied to amicably effect redress,” he said, while also warning against non-compliance of the MDAs with the compulsory presentation of staff nominal rolls to the commission before the end of July of each year.
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by Kobojunkie: 2:39am On Jun 20, 2008
Sky Blue:

Could this all not be cause the majority of Nigerians actually do not see a problem in the way the country continues to be run?? What if those of us pushing for change are actually in the minority?? I mean what if Nigerians are actually content with the way things are right now and they just happen to enjoy whining as a hobby of some sort? Ever considered that maybe we deserve what we continue to get and it may not be time for change as it seems to me that the people do not want change as much as we think they should. Maybe Nigeria is meant to wallow in this a bit longer cause it does seem the vast majority of the people are quite content with the status quo.
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by naijaking1: 5:48am On Jun 20, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Could this all not be cause the majority of Nigerians actually do not see a problem in the way the country continues to be run?? What if those of us pushing for change are actually in the minority?? I mean what if Nigerians are actually content with the way things are right now and they just happen to enjoy whining as a hobby of some sort? Ever considered that maybe we deserve what we continue to get and it may not be time for change as it seems to me that the people do not want change as much as we think they should. Maybe Nigeria is meant to wallow in this a bit longer cause it does seem the vast majority of the people are quite content with the status quo.

No group is content with bad situations in their environment, and they certainly they don't enjoy whining as ahobby. However, experience has shown that when populations are incapable of changing their condition, they tend to get used to it, somuch so that some of them may fight to maintain the status quo.
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by Kobojunkie: 6:05am On Jun 20, 2008
You make a point about populations that have actually tried to change their conditions but what of situations where populations have never really made serious effort to change things but instead continue to accept what is as what is deserved?? I do believe it is possible for persons to choose to whine, just because it is human to, but be content living in whatever situation they are handed, regardless of how inhuman.

From scoping posts by some Nigerians here on nairaland, you can almost get the idea that there are those who believe all is well ,and that those who complain about the system as is, are the real problem. And I wonder if in their minds, they know that there may actually exist a problem with the current state of affairs in the country. Is it that they are fighting to maintain the status quo or they are fighting cause they consider the status quo the best case for them and their country?? There is a difference between fighting to have things remain same cause you are afraid of change, and fighting to have things remain same cause you believe the current situation is best. I believe there are those among us who believe what we currently have, and have had for decades now is actually the attainable best, what we require; deserve; need.

Interviewing a random selection of people, in Nigeria and you immediately get the idea that the nation is not really united in the bid to turn things around and that there still remains a significant number of people who still do not understand why some continue, to date, to cry for change.

Sort of like the situation in Zimbabwe today, on the outside we assume these people are ready for change and would take the one necessary step needed but in reality, the votes from the past election show that is not necessarily the case. Over 42% voted to keep the status quo, and worse went on to attack the opposition as being evil people with evil idea.  From the outside, many of us see the suffering the status quo has continued to impose on the people; so much evidence available to prove that the path the country has been on for some years now will lead no where but further down disaster alley for the masses, yet people continue to believe change is worse than what they have now.

I truly believe there are those who accept the status quo as best option there could be out there for them, not that they are afraid of change but in their minds, they are convinced they have the best they can ever get where they are today and so they whine as humans but are content with what is.
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by naijaking1: 6:50am On Jun 20, 2008
@Kobojunkie/SkyBlue

I paste a small verse from Wikipedia about Plato's cave. The situation in Nigeria today is similar to others that have existed among certain groups from the time of Socrates. If we understand the philosophy behind this situation, it seems to me that we would be better prepared to profer solution for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_cave.
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by SkyBlue1: 8:21am On Jun 20, 2008
LOL, @naijaking, i think we would all secretely like to think Nigerians were sufering from some complex psychological disorder to explain such behaviour that continuously defies reason instead of calling it what it really is, which is good old fashioned simple craze. Plato's cave ke  cheesy
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by obiem(m): 12:31pm On Jun 20, 2008
This is undoubtably the truth, i cannot seem to decipher what Yar'adua is doing right. For me, every step he makes is wrong! The marginalisation cry is ripe, the south is grossly marginalised especially the s/east. Recently, the HOS has been shown the door, The south sast senators have alleged that the FG set a booby trap for Chukwuma Soludo, CBN governor to fall into and unfortunately it has been designed to trap him. I do and don't think i will understand the workings of this govt. In my opinion, Soludo should have resigned as soon as his deputy, Usman was made a minister.
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by naijaking1: 12:38pm On Jun 20, 2008
Sky Blue:

LOL, @naijaking, i think we would all secretely like to think Nigerians were sufering from some complex psychological disorder to explain such behaviour that continuously defies reason instead of calling it what it really is, which is good old fashioned simple craze. Plato's cave ke cheesy

Reason for going to school is to understand things around us? Everything happening in Nigeria today, has happened sometime, somewhere, and somewhat in the past. We can always look back and learn.
Re: Yar'adua Is Marginalizing The South With His Appointments by SENATORJD(m): 1:05pm On Jun 20, 2008
obiem:

This is undoubtably the truth, i cannot seem to decipher what Yar'adua is doing right. For me, every step he makes is wrong! The marginalisation cry is ripe, the south is grossly marginalised especially the s/east. Recently, the HOS has been shown the door, The south sast senators have alleged that the FG set a booby trap for Chukwuma Soludo, CBN governor to fall into and unfortunately it has been designed to trap him. I do and don't think i will understand the workings of this govt. In my opinion, Soludo should have resigned as soon as his deputy, Usman was made a minister.
hopefully he wont fall into it, as much i aint a tribal person like i said yarrryslowwydua should thread gently on this issues knowing the sensitivity nature of nigerians to such issues.
well as regards the Ex Head Of Service(Engr Ebele) she reached the mandatory age of 60yrs so automatically she had to be replaced with a new person Pepple(former Perm Sec FMF)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How The Usa Prison Look Like Compare With Nigeria. stay away from jail / Cbn Appoints Acting Ceo's For 5 Nigerian Banks / PDP Jolted With The Choice Of Osinbajo From South-west(Opinion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.