Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,178 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:17 AM

Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent (19062 Views)

FFK: Hell Will Let Loose If El-zakzaky, Kanu Or Dasuki Is Murdered In Custody / Tears, Tributes As Tinubu’s Mother, Is Buried / Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by jidsoon(m): 3:20pm On Sep 19, 2013
A 40-year-old man, Toyese Kehinde, who allegedly died in the cells of Benin Central Prisons in the early hours of 9 September, 2013, was buried by authorities of the prisons authorities without the consent of his family members.

Kehinde, a musician and father of six children, was sentenced to two weeks imprisonment following his failure to pay the N5,000 fine option granted him by Egor Magistrate’s Court 1, in Benin City, southern Nigeria, over environmental Offense.

The family allegedly got to know about his fate through a friend of the late Kehinde who informed them of his arrest and imprisonment.

Following his failure to show up at home at the expiration of his jail term, his brother, Adewale Kehinde, and another friend approached the Prisons authority to demand for the release of their son, only to be told that the convict had died and had been buried.

“We saw him last on the Friday of the environmental day. We later heard that he was arrested for flouting environmental restrictions and was sentenced to two weeks imprisonment as he was unable to pay the option of N5000 fine.

“When he failed to return after two days, we went to the prisons, only to be told that he died on 9 September and was buried. The man who spoke to us gave us a paper that he died.”

Adewale said it was disturbing that his brother died in the custody of the prisons officials and was buried without them telling the family members, even though there was a contact name and address given by the late Toyese while in their custody.

A note under the subject, “Death of Convict No. V. 1176 Toyese Kehinde in Charge No. ELG/004/13,” signed by Asst. Supt. of Prisons II (Admin) for the Deputy Controller or Prisons, a copy of which was made available to the family of the deceased, alleged that he died after a protracted illness, an allegation refuted by the deceased’s brother who said he was hale and hearty before his arrest and conviction.

The note which was copied to the Controller-General of Prisons, Abuja and others, read as follows: “I am directed to inform you of the death of the above-named convicted prisoner. He died in the early hours of 9th September, 2013 after a protracted illness.

“He was sentenced to two weeks imprisonment or N5000.00 fine on the 31st August, 2013 by Egor Magistrate’s Court 1, Benin City for failing to observe sanitation exercise.

“It would be appreciated if you could conduct an inquest and forward the proceedings to this office for onward transition to the Controller-General of Prisons Service, Abuja please.”

When contacted, the Public Relations Officer of Edo State Prisons Headquarters, Suleman Aminu, claimed he has no knowledge of the death of the convict.

“I don’t want to say anything categorically now whether the family members of the convict was informed or not. I have not been fully briefed. I will have to crave your indulgence to give me some time to consult with the Controller to enable us carry out investigations as to why a death occurred in one of our prisons and the victim was buried and we did not know,” Aminu said.

—Jethro Ibileke/Benin

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/09/19/suspect-dies-in-custody/
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by Nobody: 4:10pm On Sep 19, 2013
Take this matter to court

6 Likes

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by Nobody: 4:16pm On Sep 19, 2013
This is the problem of poverty, ordinary five thousand naira fine, a common man can not afford. Unfortunately, the rich keeps getting richer and the poor gets poorer. What would the government tell the family? If this case gets to court, what kind of judgement is expected? No hope for the common man. Great Injustice to Mankind!

Oya Oga Oshiomole na your territory be this, pls respond accordingly.

By the way, pole position for the 2nd time.

19 Likes

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by Nobody: 4:18pm On Sep 19, 2013
Let them exhume his corpse and conduct forensic audit and analysis on the deceased.

I hope he has not been used for rituals or used to exchange a convict in Lagos . One big man substitute!

RIP

3tc by the way

22 Likes

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by debetmx(m): 4:21pm On Sep 19, 2013
Keneking: This is the problem of poverty, ordinary five thousand naira fine, a common man can not afford. Unfortunately, the rich keeps getting richer and the poor gets poorer. What would the government tell the family? If this case gets to court, what kind of judgement is expected? No hope for the common man. Great Injustice to Mankind!

Oya Oga Oshiomole na your territory be this, pls respond accordingly.

By the way, pole position for the 2nd time.

What is the minimum wage in Edo State? This country is sick. politicians getting richer, god of men buying private jets. we seriously need a revolution like it happened in Tunisia but who will pull the first trigger?

4 Likes

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by deeptesting(m): 6:06pm On Sep 19, 2013
If not for poverty he would have been able to pay the fine of 5k.
If not for poverty his body would have been exhumed for autopsy to ascertain the cause of death.
If not for poverty the prison officials won't have buried him without the consent of his family.

Such a sad news that Late Mr. Toyese Kehinde's name has been entered in the register of unresolved murders in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by iamswizz(m): 11:15pm On Sep 19, 2013
Welcome to Nigeria.. Safest and the best place on earth

1 Like

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by gbanikiti(m): 11:15pm On Sep 19, 2013
Shebi na for Edo state dem dey sign death warrant? Am not surprised .

1 Like

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by Nobody: 11:17pm On Sep 19, 2013
He who fights and run away, will fight another day. What a sad news, may this man fight and dedeat poverty in another world. He fought and poverty won, injustices bury him and sorrow won. Rip

4 Likes

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by AnOlAd: 11:18pm On Sep 19, 2013
Ahn ahn.... the way this police people behave ehn... if they want to arrest you, na too die there say u no gooo... Baba were ni Awon Olopa Nigeria yi.... try it abroad! the family is rich for life... because of 5000naira
Una biko, Chineke have Mercy Baba God..
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by hyperbaba: 11:18pm On Sep 19, 2013
OGA OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Wonders wont end in this obodo Nigeria
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by imsuboi(m): 11:20pm On Sep 19, 2013
RIP
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by Aizebioje(m): 11:22pm On Sep 19, 2013
Keneking: Let them exhume his corpse and conduct forensic audit and analysis on the deceased.

I hope he has not been used for rituals or used to exchange a convict in Lagos . One big man substitute!

RIP

3tc by the way
My thoughts exactly. I suspect the prison officials has a hand in his death. Exhume the body and conduct an autopsy! EXPENSES SHOULD BE COVERED BY THE PRISON SERVICES AND THE NFP

1 Like

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by imsuboi(m): 11:22pm On Sep 19, 2013
hmm
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by bigx(m): 11:24pm On Sep 19, 2013
as usual
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by hebex12(m): 11:26pm On Sep 19, 2013
Na wa oooo dey must be charged 2court 4dt
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by aboto49(m): 11:26pm On Sep 19, 2013
Wat is nigeria turning to dis day? Dis matter most be taking to court hope dis man asnt been used for ritual. Haaaaaaaaaaaa
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by nijanigga: 11:27pm On Sep 19, 2013
Keneking: Let them exhume his corpse and conduct forensic audit and analysis on the deceased.

RIP

3tc by the way
Have you ever heard of the word forensic in Nigeria? "Forensic ko Fayose ni"

1 Like

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by Nobody: 11:27pm On Sep 19, 2013
I don’t want to say anything categorically now whether the family members of the convict was informed or not. I have not been fully briefed. I will have to crave your indulgence to give me some time to consult with the Controller to enable us carry out investigations as to why a death occurred in one of our prisons and the victim was buried and we did not know,” Aminu said.

Lol wtf? who talks like this in 2013?
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by Nobody: 11:27pm On Sep 19, 2013
embarassedThis dude died cuz he couldn't afford 5K, the excruciating poverty in this country of ours is beyond comprehension
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by lastpage: 11:29pm On Sep 19, 2013
iamswizz: Welcome to Nigeria NIGERIANISTAN.. Safest and the best place on earth

This has nothing to do with poverty as most people have been saying!
*How can someone on two weeks prison remand ...DIES FROM "PROTRACTED ILLNESS"? How long is "protracted" for gawd sake?

*He was arrested for flouting environmental, right? How is someone with a "protracted illness" walking around on the day of Environmental?

*He had a phone number with the prison authorities, HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO PLACE A CALL TO HIS FAMILY THAT HE IS DEAD? MTN = #6!

*Why the rush to bury him if "cause of death" has not been established? TO WHOSE BENEFIT IS THAT RUSH?

This is simply a case of "man's inhumanity to a fellow man".

Even though they say "the law is an a/ss", l think the judges themselves represent the poo-hole of that a/ss!
Cant there be a better way, like "installmental payments" to get people convicted on such "non-serious crimes" to pay the penalty?

In advanced climes, you dont have to pay a fine immediately .... you are given time to get the money as the Judge would set a date for you, based on your source of income.

See how this Judge just allowed a man's life, a father of six..... to be wasted for nothing! angry

Nigerian Judges are just stewpid and idiotic. They are as corrupt as the Politicians, if not even more.

I implore the family to institute a proper investigation (l have a feeling our corrupt system would not yield any result!) ... and sue the "Prisons" and seek compensation ...at least to help his children.

Jeez, these people suck at times!

Lastpage!

26 Likes

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by Constructivem: 11:31pm On Sep 19, 2013
Is committing a man to prison justifiable over sanitation offense? While the people in Abuja keep on polluting the public with corruption and no one is committing them to prison. The blood of that man will not go in vain.................................

5 Likes

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by BCELLS(m): 11:31pm On Sep 19, 2013
What kind of country is thistoday I was behind the wheel I saw a minor hawking food condiments along the road,she got stuck one of her legs in the drainage and was crying @d top of her voice,I was so apathetic dat I had to pull over but before I got down 4rm my car someone had helped her!...we dwell in a failed state,nothing is actively working right...sometimes,I do ask myself, is revolution really the final resort to this tedious way of life in Nigeria?RIP 2d death,I hope they get justice.
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by redsun(m): 11:45pm On Sep 19, 2013
If he didn't have a family that remembered,he would have just been part of thousands of unaccounted statistics that perish in the hands of nigerian police and prisons on regular basis in nigeria.

Poor nigerians go through horrors in the hands of the socalled authorities in nigeria.Some are locked up for no obvious reasons,with keys thrown away and fully sanctioned by a judge or magistrate that supposedly swore an oath to defend the innocent.

The country is a dungeon for the civil poor,they have no rights whatsoever.Any over fed big oga can just decide a lock up a poor person for good and all he needs to do is give some few thousand naira bread to the police dpo or police commissioner if he wants it from an upper level and with the district judge who corruptly works hand in hand with the police given some cut,the poor man's faith is sealed.There are no human rights activists,no civil liberty organization,no money for a lawyer,even if he manages to get a lawyer,whatever the lawyer says is ineffective because the the presiding judge has been bought.And if he decides to take it up to the attorney general,he will be met with another grid lock because the attorney general himself is a kingpin.

5 Likes

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by sojax2cool(m): 11:46pm On Sep 19, 2013
Hmmmmmm.......it makes me weak.
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by Exponental(m): 11:49pm On Sep 19, 2013
Injustice from justice efforcement agency.
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by emmabest2000(m): 11:55pm On Sep 19, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Explosion At Banex Plaza, Wuse 2 In Abuja / Buhari, APC Presidential Campaign In Kaduna (Photos) / Anambra2021: Did The Governorship Debates Affect The Decision Of The Voters?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.