Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,339 members, 7,819,199 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent (19069 Views)

FFK: Hell Will Let Loose If El-zakzaky, Kanu Or Dasuki Is Murdered In Custody / Tears, Tributes As Tinubu’s Mother, Is Buried / Independence Day Bombing Suspect Dies In Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by obillyj(f): 6:03am On Sep 20, 2013
it is very sad. what was d wife doing that d husband had to sleep in cell for more than a night cos of 5k?
couldn't she had run around, begged, grovel on d ground if need be, sold sth to pay d fine? i don't understand y d entire family members (+ relatives) allowed a young man like that dto stay in cell. it's absurd.

It was inhumane of the prison wardens or whosoever 2 treat him like that. injustice in d highest order. i support d family to fight it in court but how could they since they couldn't pay 5k?
it's a big loss. i feel sorry for d kids.

1 Like

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by lertee(f): 6:03am On Sep 20, 2013
malali: human kidneys fetches 60,000 (60 thousand dollars) in black market....

prison authorities are selling human organs !

shine your eyes smiley

wink wink wink wink wink wink
This will be the joke of the day grin,so of all the likely reasons behind killing the man,selling his organ is all you could think of, I give you hand. undecided
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by ukemilia(f): 6:11am On Sep 20, 2013
Does it mean dat the entire house hold or relatives cannot afford 5000 naira for dis old man not to enter prison..omg thunder fire poverty for life,so sad
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by Deiok(m): 6:21am On Sep 20, 2013
When i heard the news yesterday i was like what da fuçk. What is nigeria turning into, that this kind of shìt still exist in this country in this age, goes to show we are retrogressing. May God help us.
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by ecolime(m): 6:25am On Sep 20, 2013
I wish the human rights groups could take this up. There is more to this story than meets the eye. It sounds more like murder to me.
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by Sike(m): 6:30am On Sep 20, 2013
Very fishy. Very very fishy!
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by Nobody: 6:32am On Sep 20, 2013
we need strong coroner law. pathologists need to wake up. how can someone died in prison without coroner inquest.
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by rman: 6:42am On Sep 20, 2013
brosun: All the sentiments expressed so far really touch my heart, but one question that continues to bother me is: where were these now agitating family members when their brother was sentenced to two weeks imprisonment with an option of a N5,000 fine? Could they all not have come together to raise the fine? It's like the scenario of a mad man who is left wandering in the streets, howling monogues at the sky. The day he gets accidentally knocked down by a vehicle is the day you'd know he has an 'owner'! Believe me, their brother would have appreciated this solidarity more when he was alive than now when he is no more. Now they're busy spending transport fare and buying petrol to go to Benin Prisons. Those monies could have salvaged their brother from all this in the first place. We pay less interest in the affairs of others, especially when they're poor. No one wants to come near a poor man. A rich man is everybody's friend! Only poor men (and women) die like this. Sad. Sad. Sad... I still commend the family members though for raising their voices. This is Nigeria. Like most projects in it, I only hope this one too will not fail...

God bless you.

2 Likes

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by francisbiz: 6:46am On Sep 20, 2013
The family have no moral justification to query the prison officials, if they could not rally round to cough out ordinary N5000 to pay the fine of a husband, brother,in-law, father, friend and relation.
They couldn't even borrow, who knows, they might not have even visited him in the prison; now that he is dead he has suddenly become a family member.
This family stinks, they should hide in shame; IDIOTS!

However, his death and buraial should be investigated.
USELESS FAMILY!!!!!
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by maasoap(m): 6:48am On Sep 20, 2013
nijanigga:
Have you ever heard of the word forensic in Nigeria? "Forensic ko Fayose ni"
nijanigga:
Have you ever heard of the word forensic in Nigeria? "Forensic ko Fayose ni"
Don't say what you don't know. It depends on how the family involved handle there own case. But I won't be surprised if they can't persist in getting justice because this is the same family that couldn't arrange for #5000 for the release of their brother, the same family that didn't deem it fit to visit their brother in prison but only waiting for him to come back home at the end of expiration of his sentence. I don't think poverty was the sole reason that the man couldn't pay #5000 because this was an arrest, trial and sentence on the move. How many of us on this forum always put #5000 in our pockets each time we're going out most especially when we are not going out for shopping, to deposit money, or going out to pay for anything? Maybe he wasn't allowed to to go home to get money and wasn't allowed to make call, who knows.

2 Likes

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by akpomeme(m): 6:50am On Sep 20, 2013
N5000 price tag on the life of the poor. Nigeria!!!!! Thereabout $30 is the reason why a man was sent to his early grave for pardonable stupid sanitation offense!!!!!!!!!!!
Why do we pay taxes!!!! Why should we observe environmental day!!!! What happened to waste management body of government!!!! Why are we victims of the system meant to work for us!!! Why?

We need to begin to ask valid questions to change things!!!
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by akpomeme(m): 6:57am On Sep 20, 2013
francisbiz: The family have no moral justification to query the prison officials, if they could not rally round to cough out ordinary N5000 to pay the fine of a husband, brother,in-law, father, friend and relation.
They couldn't even borrow, who knows, they might not have even visited him in the prison; now that he is dead he has suddenly become a family member.

USELESS FAMILY!!!!!

Because you go to the cinema and see a movie with your partner or friend at 1500 each and snack about with 2k does not mean life is same for everybody!!! People struggle you know? People do struggle. Nannies and security men earn as low as 15k a month and they have families to attend to. The fact they are poor does not make them useless. It is our society that is useless to we Nigerians. Yet we hear of looting in high places.

Why should any Nigerian live below a $100 dollars a month!!! Some people can't even feed!!!! Tears oh tears. We need to empathize not abuse or insult the poor.

2 Likes

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by tayoccu(m): 6:58am On Sep 20, 2013
Its so sad, his familiy and friends couldn't "ginger" to raise 5k to pay his fine, can now ginger after he died abi?
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by Kellif: 7:00am On Sep 20, 2013
Check out this touching story,so touching, http:///1dcepPl
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by maxit2(m): 7:12am On Sep 20, 2013
Please stop talking about revolution ya'll...

Take a look at countries that have done the so-called revolution. Check their before and after status,

As corrupt as we the citizens are, we cannot survive a so-called revolution. The only way forward for this country is to train our little kids the right way, never let them know all the evils and corruption we engage in.
Then once our fresh kids starts growing old, we all quickly die and let them take over. We are ungovernable.

It's always easy to blame the government. Take for instance this very case.

How can the Governor, or President or Local Govt Chairman be held responsible for this ? the prison warder is just a normal Nigerian like you and i, Infact even the governors and presidents are just normal nigerians like us. This corruption thing really boils down to us the citizens,

NEVER YOU MENTION REVOLUTION, it will only turn things from bad to worst.

1 Like

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by Panter215: 7:19am On Sep 20, 2013
Why should prison be to only form of reform in nigeria. Someone missed a 3 hours environment sanitation and the appropoiate punishment is 2 weeks in prison. How does this make sense? Why not give the young man community service, cleaning of the dirty court premise or a 3 hours supervised cleaning of one of our dirty highways. Now this man is dead in one of our dirty overcrowded prison from abuse and I will like to see the punishment the foolish judge that sentenced him to 2 week will give his killers.

1 Like

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by Nobody: 7:28am On Sep 20, 2013
unbeliveable,what I cant just think this is truth. Were are the human rights?
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by Nobody: 7:29am On Sep 20, 2013
Bunch of bloodsuckers!
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by ichidodo: 7:31am On Sep 20, 2013
francisbiz: The family have no moral justification to query the prison officials, if they could not rally round to cough out ordinary N5000 to pay the fine of a husband, brother,in-law, father, friend and relation.

USELESS FAMILY!!!!!
Yes very useless family, now the money they refused to bail their brother with when alive will now be properly spent on the logistics of this fiasco.
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by Panter215: 7:31am On Sep 20, 2013

USELESS FAMILY!!!!!

I pray you never take a wrong turn in your life. How are you sure the family did not try to raise the fund? Do you think that all persons have the resourse base to raise 5000 in 2 weeks. I have families denied medical care for less than this sum. Please my brother or sister be grateful that you can raise this fund in your family.

3 Likes

Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by Lilknight(m): 7:37am On Sep 20, 2013
Sincerely dis country iz ntn to write about....rich man(politician) wey commit murder sef no dey use 1month 4 prison, the 1 wey dem gv life sentence, w no hear anytn abt in life again....NAIJA 4 SHOW
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by Yemmynaira(m): 7:37am On Sep 20, 2013
This is so bad,it is only God dat can judge all dose in charge accordingly,becos there is no true judgementin this country
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by francisbiz: 7:51am On Sep 20, 2013
akpomeme:

Because you go to the cinema and see a movie with your partner or friend at 1500 each and snack about with 2k does not mean life is same for everybody!!! People struggle you know? People do struggle. Nannies and security men earn as low as 15k a month and they have families to attend to. The fact they are poor does not make them useless. It is our society that is useless to we Nigerians. Yet we hear of looting in high places.

Why should any Nigerian live below a $100 dollars a month!!! Some people can't even feed!!!! Tears oh tears. We need to empathize not abuse or insult the poor.
You have just mixed issues!
The family is guilty for not showing concern, they did not even discover on time that the had died.
Yes I know that all fingers are not equal, that the system is corrupt, and many of us are poor, YET YOU SHOULD QUESTION THE FAMILY.
DID THEY PUT UP ANY EFFORT AT ALL TOWARDS RAISING THE FUND FOR THE FINE? HOW MANY THRIFT/ ISUSU DID THEY VISIT TO BORROW.
And out of respect for the dead I didn't want to say this; why did he even go out on sanitation period? Probably he had his excuse ,no one knows.
I still stand on my point that the family is partly responsible for this saga. Tell them it will cost 50k to process payment of compensation for the man's careless death, and you will see them hassle immediately for it, because they would want to share from it.
One of the family members may even have a blackberry phone!
We should learn to obey the laws, y
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by EreluY(f): 7:56am On Sep 20, 2013
[quote author=Evil Brain]Autopsies are mandated by law for anyone who dies in state custody. The prison authorities have broken the law by burying him without one. In a sane country, this would be investigated and somebody in the prisons service will go to jail.

Of course, this is Nigeria so nothing will happen. The police whose job it is to investigate have plenty of reasons not to interfere when a sister agency is trying to cover up a suspicious death.

My advise to the family is to exhume the man, hire their own private pathologist to do an autopsy and release the results to the press. The only way to get any justice in Nigeria is to embarrass the government into action.[/quote]

Excellent thought. But, nothing embarrasses those in authority in Nigeria today. It's business as usual. The masses that should have pressurised the government to accountability are busy trying to survive. Nigeria is irredeemably doomed.
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by andyanders: 8:01am On Sep 20, 2013
Our judicial system is the worst corrupt on the face of the earth. The prison should be taken t court and they pay heavily to the family of the deceased. I place 2 billion naira compensation for the family because this is pure murder.
Because of the environmental issue, a family man should be murdered? This country is becoming something else unless there is massive revolution in this country whereby a war is waged against politicians and corrupt government officials in which laws will be been taken over by the citizenry to fight these people, the younger generation will be destroyed whereby only those connected to the seat of power get what they want to the detriment of the governed.
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by jtkoko9(f): 8:23am On Sep 20, 2013
So sad the man died for noting...
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by Chomzy19(f): 8:30am On Sep 20, 2013
lastpage:

This has nothing to do with poverty as most people have been saying!
*How can someone on two weeks prison remand ...DIES FROM "PROTRACTED ILLNESS"? How long is "protracted" for gawd sake?

*He was arrested for flouting environmental, right? How is someone with a "protracted illness" walking around on the day of Environmental?

*He had a phone number with the prison authorities, HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO PLACE A CALL TO HIS FAMILY THAT HE IS DEAD? MTN = #6!

*Why the rush to bury him if "cause of death" has not been established? TO WHOSE BENEFIT IS THAT RUSH?

This is simply a case of "man's inhumanity to a fellow man".

Even though they say "the law is an a/ss", l think the judges themselves represent the poo-hole of that a/ss!
Cant there be a better way, like "installmental payments" to get people convicted on such "non-serious crimes" to pay the penalty?

In advanced climes, you dont have to pay a fine immediately .... you are given time to get the money as the Judge would set a date for you, based on your source of income.

See how this Judge just allowed a man's life, a father of six..... to be wasted for nothing! angry

Nigerian Judges are just stewpid and idiotic. They are as corrupt as the Politicians, if not even more.

I implore the family to institute a proper investigation (l have a feeling our corrupt system would not yield any result!) ... and sue the "Prisons" and seek compensation ...at least to help his children.

Jeez, these people suck at times!

Lastpage!
Y are u bashing D judges? They gave the man an option of fine, He choose to stay 2 weeks in prison, If he had choosen Fine, I'm sure he'll b given @least some days to pay D fine, If because of lack of money he choose d sentence, Then its still a matter of poverty... I mean 5k isn't much ... Please Leave D judges Out of this

There is truly more to the story than meets the Eye, in just 2 weeks his illness became protracted n lead to death. What the nature of this illness? Unfortunately if d man didn't have 5k to pay, his pple sure don't have enough Money to investigate ddis matter to its roots or institute any action against D Corrupt warders
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by tdbanks: 8:30am On Sep 20, 2013
There's always something to love about my country.
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by pappilo(m): 8:47am On Sep 20, 2013
francisbiz:
You have just mixed issues!
The family is guilty for not showing concern, they did not even discover on time that the had died.
Yes I know that all fingers are not equal, that the system is corrupt, and many of us are poor, YET YOU SHOULD QUESTION THE FAMILY.
DID THEY PUT UP ANY EFFORT AT ALL TOWARDS RAISING THE FUND FOR THE FINE? HOW MANY THRIFT/ ISUSU DID THEY VISIT TO BORROW.
And out of respect for the dead I didn't want to say this; why did he even go out on sanitation period? Probably he had his excuse ,no one knows.
I still stand on my point that the family is partly responsible for this saga. Tell them it will cost 50k to process payment of compensation for the man's careless death, and you will see them hassle immediately for it, because they would want to share from it.
One of the family members may even have a blackberry phone!
We should learn to obey the laws, y

You make no sense. Stop digging yourself deeper into a hole. A few posters have already pointed out the holes in your flawed and dumb way of reasoning.

Did the family members flout the enviromental laws? So as a grown man, every time I incur a financial penalty which I cant pay, my family members should rally round to pay for me?
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by greall1: 9:08am On Sep 20, 2013
POOR MAN R:Itongue
Re: Suspect Dies In Custody & Is Buried Without Family Consent by otokx(m): 9:19am On Sep 20, 2013
worse injustice than this happens every day in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Increase In Wages, Reversal Of PMS Pump Price: TUC Lists Demands To FG / Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls / ICPC Raids Namadi Sambo’s Home In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.