Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,092 members, 7,821,777 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? (9751 Views)

Photos! If You Attended This Traditional Marriage What Would You Have Done. / Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by godello: 1:29pm On Sep 20, 2013
‘Nne, I want my Igba Nkwu to be something to write about’, Ijeoma said to me with so much excitement.

‘Sure, why not? The last time I checked, you made me the sacrificial lamb for a ‘ritualistic marriage ceremony’. Does a man need to rob a bank or be super-duper rich to marry an Igbo girl?’ Adewale cuts in mockingly with his strong ‘britico’ accent.

‘Is it my fault that I am an Igbo girl….eh…Adewale? Why must our own wedding be an issue?’ she snaps back in an angry tone.

‘Enough, both of you’, I quickly chipped in to douse the all too frequent war of words that was about to erupt between the two love birds over the customary Igbo traditional marriage ceremony – popularly referred to as ‘Igba Nkwu Nwanyi’. It means “The Wine Carrying of a Woman” and for many decades has been generally accepted as the Igbo word for traditional marriage.

So what really does an Igbo traditional marriage entail?

Introduction – Ikwu Aka (Knocking)
Marriage in Igboland is not just an affair between the future husband and wife but also involves the parents, the extended family and villages. When you’re planning for the introductory part of your proposed union, you must bear in mind that there are two stages in this process. Depending on the Igbo community involved, the intending groom will be required to make two visits to the bride to be’s family.

First, the intending groom, accompanied by his father or any elder relative or close family friend will visit the father of the bride to be formerly introduced and state their intention. They will then agree on a latter time to meet with other members of the bride to be’s family. No gift is required for this initial visit.

For the return visit, the intending groom’s family (not limited to the parents) will meet with the bride to be’s family and restate their intention. At this stage, it is expected that the bride to be’s family will have had ample time to investigate the groom to be’s family and must have reached a conclusion on the proposal. The prerequisites for this visit may vary from village to village, but, basically some of the key items offered as gift to the host family include Kolanuts, Wines (alcoholic/non-alcoholic) and wrappers (Nigerian/Holland prints). Money (cash gift) is usually not offered at this point in order not to be misrepresented.

Traditional Marriage – Igba Nwku (Engagement)
At this stage, a date has been agreed for the ‘Igba Nkwu’ to hold at the paternal home of the bride to be. The intending groom would have been handed a list of items to present at the engagement. The list usually is communicated after the introduction and is an obligatory part of completing the Igba Nkwu, which could either be a close family event or a big event including the whole “village”. The items on the lists are usually symbolic and cover different sections of the ceremony.
Typical Igbo Traditional List for the Groom
SECTION A : UMUADA (ALL KINDRED DAUGHTERS)
Wrappers and Blouses– (George/Hollandis/Nigerian Wax)
Jewelry – (Gold plated earings, necklaces)
Head ties and Shoes (Different types and colours)
Hand bags and wrist watches (Different types and colours)
Toiletries (Body creams, bathing soaps, washing detergents, etc.)
Beverages and food items
Cash gift (lump sum) –Ogwe ego
Drinks (Malt & Minerals)
SECTION B: NMANYA UKWU (BIG WINE) – KINSMEN (UMUNNA)
The items in this category will be shared amongst the heads of the extended family of the bride to be.
Bottles of Seaman’s Schnapps (millennium brand)
Kolanuts
Gallons of Palmwine
Cartons of Beer, Malt and Mineral drinks
Heads of Tobacco with potash
Rolls of cigarettes
1 goat
Cash gift (Lump sum) – Ego Umu’Nna
OTHER CASH GIFTS THAT MAY BE DEMANDED DURING THE COURSE OF THE CEREMONY
“Ego nfotu ite” (cash to bring down symbolic cooking pot) – ₦ 1,000
“Ncha kishi udu” (Toasting of wine) – ₦ 1,000
“Ego Ogo cherem” (money for the inlaws) – ₦ 50,000
“Ego maternity” (money for future maternity) – ₦ 1,000
“Ego Onye Eze” (money for village chief) – ₦ 1,500
“Ogwe Ego” (lump sum) – ₦ 5,000
SECTION C: N’MEPE UZO (OPENING OF GATE) – GENERAL
30 tubers of Yam
2 bags of Rice
2 bags of Salt
2 cartons of Star Beer
2 cartons of Guinness Stout
2 cartons of Maltina
6 crates of Minerals
3 bottles of Seaman’s Schnapps (millennium brand)
30 bulbs of onions
1 gallon of red Palm oil (10 -25 litres)
1 gallon of Groundnut oil (25 litres)
A basin of Okporoko (Stockfish)
2 pieces of Goat leg (Ukwu Anu ewu)
25 loaves of Bread
1 carton of Tin Tomatoes
1 carton of Tin Milk
1 carton of Tablet soap
20 Pieces of Morning Rose powder
1 gallon of Kerosene
20 heads of Tobacco
10 packets of cigarettes
5 pieces of George/Hollandis/Nigerian Wax
3 pieces of Umbrella
1 Big Box (Apati)
2 Big Basins
2 pieces of Igbo Blouse
2 pieces of Headties
Gold necklaces and Wrist watches (minimum of 2 pieces)
1 piece of Lantern/Lamp
“Ikpo Onu Aku Nwayi” (Bride price) – Negotiable

Usually the UMUADA and UMUNNA’s are quite a number in each clan and a minimum of three pieces/cartons per item above will be demanded before the bride to be is let out of her father’s house on the engagement day. More often than not, their demands are non-negotiable but can be influenced by the bride to be’s family.

The items required in the general section vary from village to village and can be negotiated with bride to be’s family. In recent times, the intending bride’s father waives most of the requirements that ordinarily would be meant for him and his immediate family and request the intending groom to provide only the other items required in the first two sections.

Dress and Grooming
At traditional marriage wedding ceremonies, many have adopted the Igbo equivalent for ‘Aso Ebi’ referred to as ‘Akwa Nde Mbiriechi’. Before deciding on your ‘Akwa Nde Mbiriechi’, consideration should be giving to the type of fabric that would be most suitable for the occasion and will harmonize with the overall theme of your ‘Igba Nkwu’ (traditional marriage). 

Bride:
You can either choose the olden attire Igbo maidens adorn at special occasions. You will be beautified in ‘Nzu’ (white clay) painted on your body, while covering your upper body and waist areas with pieces of ‘Akwete’ cloth (African print).
You can equally attend your own ceremony dressed in a contemporary ‘Akwete’. This is a traditional wrapper that some refer to as ‘Abada’ which usually is made up of 5 yards of either a Nigerian Wax fabric (Ankara), Holladis (Holland WAX), or the popularly used George (Mirror George) material and a puffed sleeve blouse sewn with 1½ yards of any laced/hand-cut fabric.  You can even choose to wear both options on your special day.

Accessories: An Igbo bride isn’t fully dressed without adorning some complementing accessories such as ‘Jigida’ (waist beads), ‘Ihe Olu’ (coral beads), ‘Ihe Nti, Ihe Aka’ (wrist chains, rings and earrings - could be made of beads or Gold plated), ‘Akpa Aka’ (clutch bag), ‘Nchafu’ (headtie) and ‘Akpukpu-Ukwu’ (foot-wear) that will match the overall ensemble.
Groom:
Back in the days, the groom wore a pullover shirt called ‘Isiagu’ or ‘Ishi Agu’ (patterned with Lions heads and could be short or long sleeved) on a plain coloured trouser (preferably black). In more recent times, particularly where the groom is not Igbo, the intending groom may choose to wear any other embroidered material including Brocade, Jacquard or Lace over a plain coloured trouser.

Accessories: You can accessorise your attire with the traditional Igbo men’s hat ‘Okpu Agu’ (a red or black hat), coral beads and a fashionable walking stick.

Other party paraphernalia such as catering, decoration, video and still photography, music and a lot more side attractions you get these days at weddings also feature at a traditional Igbo ‘Igba Nkwu’. The most important thing for the prospective couple is to plan out these details in line with their set budget. Just like any other wedding outside Ndigbo, marital expenses are mostly optional. No amount can balance the value of the man or woman you choose to marry, regardless of your race, culture or tribe.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by MrsChima(f): 1:30pm On Sep 20, 2013
Still reading.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by zeelo2014: 1:38pm On Sep 20, 2013
All these things u listed can be drastically cut down. Afterall very poor still get married daily
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by godello: 2:02pm On Sep 20, 2013
zeelo2014: All these things u listed can be drastically cut down. Afterall very poor still get married daily
what will u say about this group of people that makes a compulsory list for the groom? like mbaise, mbaitolu, mbano
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by zeb04(f): 2:38pm On Sep 20, 2013
Ah... Meself I dnt gerrit d last tym my uncle was marryin, oh geez u nid 2 c d list nd dat is y igbo gals like marryin igbo guys cz dey undstnd. Nd it depends on d level of education of d gal. If she is a masters holder nd probably has been livin in yankee hmm d parent won't collect less. Dnt knw wat wil happen 2 me nd my fulani bf
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Sep 20, 2013
All that 4 a gal dat is not a virgin but a leftover with slacked punny? Not me angry

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by ichidodo: 4:25pm On Sep 20, 2013
Thought i was ready but after looking tru this list, e b like say i never start.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Gabweezy(m): 5:21pm On Sep 20, 2013
THIS OP,SHOULD BE TITLED "IMO TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE"........COS 4 MY SIDE WE DEY DASH WOMAN.JUST COME AND MARRY.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by EzePromoe: 6:22pm On Sep 20, 2013
Every Igbo lady worth spending such for.
But I'll still advice the price to be cut down for the sake of people who can't afford it.
Mbaise girls and the whole people in general are smart, beautiful and hardworking, I don't blame them much if they tag their daughters with the same price tag as private jet.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Sep 20, 2013
If ur forefathers could marry even more than 1, i wonder why ur complaining. Go hustle or forget wife, gfrnds have made it easy.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Sep 20, 2013
Op,i guess u r talkin abt mbaise,owerri,isikwuato,ikwerre,nd nt 4getin ma own pple d mbanos. No wonda ma pale run go marry anambra woman.my bf sumtyms complain,oh abt d high cost of marriage by ma pple.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Sep 20, 2013
I pray he doesn't get scared away,by it oh! Bcus he don check am nd c dat it wil cost him approximately 800k.pls NL,helep me pray oh.i luv am wela
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by damarisk(f): 8:27pm On Sep 20, 2013
Are u 4getting ikeduru dat is very expensive like mbaise,inshort imo state in general is very expensive compared 2 wat u listed above,dat 1 is cheap,u never c anytin @op
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by frainc(m): 9:38pm On Sep 20, 2013
Infact IMO STATE girls are more and more expensive than what you listed

that is why their girls hardly get marry (man dey run)
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by SeunPlus(f): 11:22pm On Sep 20, 2013
But Igbo men love spending on women na wink
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Adaeze003(f): 12:02am On Sep 21, 2013
@primuskay, ikwerre is in ph.

@topic, I don't think its cumpolsory to acquire every item on the list.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by godello: 7:24am On Sep 21, 2013
Eze Promoe: Every Igbo lady worth spending such for.
But I'll still advice the price to be cut down for the sake of people who can't afford it.
Mbaise girls and the whole people in general are smart, beautiful and hardworking, I don't blame them much if they tag their daughters with the same price tag as private jet.
[size=16pt]so bank must be broken to marry? Hmmm babes go old.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by ChrisChino(m): 9:16am On Sep 21, 2013
now am scared..my GF is from Mbaise.!
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Ucheosefoh(m): 10:12am On Sep 21, 2013
In Idemili marriage is so cheap that with 50k u don do everything go de enjoy ur wife unless u want to make it a big traditional wedding. Bride price here is 2k with a list that will not cost more than 50k
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 10:19am On Sep 21, 2013
Igbo girls don't come cheap oh. Parents spend alot for masters programme abroad to say the least. Igbo guys know this and don't complain, but imo is more expensive than anywhere in igboland.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by ikekings(m): 12:39pm On Sep 21, 2013
That's how it has always been and that's how it will remain... Our forefathers went through the same process... Why won't I?
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Sep 21, 2013
Ada i knw,ikwerre is expensive as we r.my uncle spent close 2 350k,jst 4 brideprice,nd d rice,yam nd oda little little tinz.igba nkwu is nt included oh.
Adaeze003: @primuskay, ikwerre is in ph.

@topic, I don't think its cumpolsory to acquire every item on the list.
uche,idemili,south or north? Idemili i was say is d cheapest.wit 150k,u wil do everytin nd stil get change.unles u wan ova do.ND DIA WOMEN MAKE GUD WIVES.my mum is 4rm idemili south.oba
Ucheosefo: In Idemili marriage is so cheap that with 50k u don do everything go de enjoy ur wife unless u want to make it a big traditional wedding. Bride price here is 2k with a list that will not cost more than 50k
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by godello: 6:05pm On Sep 21, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe: Igbo girls don't come cheap oh. Parents spend alot for masters programme abroad to say the least. Igbo guys know this and don't complain, but imo is more expensive than anywhere in igboland.
are their bride price graded according to education level attained ?
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Sep 21, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe: Igbo girls don't come cheap oh. Parents spend alot for masters programme abroad to say the least. Igbo guys know this and don't complain, but imo is more expensive than anywhere in igboland.
at age 35, all d poo you wrote up there would be thrown in d gutter angry
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Ucheosefoh(m): 12:11am On Sep 22, 2013
Primuskay: Ada i knw,ikwerre is expensive as we r.my uncle spent close 2 350k,jst 4 brideprice,nd d rice,yam nd oda little little tinz.igba nkwu is nt included oh. uche,idemili,south or north? Idemili i was say is d cheapest.wit 150k,u wil do everytin nd stil get change.unles u wan ova do.ND DIA WOMEN MAKE GUD WIVES.my mum is 4rm idemili south.oba
Na Idemili north
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Adaeze003(f): 12:17am On Sep 22, 2013
Segeggs: at age 35, all d poo you wrote up there would be thrown in d gutter angry
Stale yarn undecided

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Nobody: 3:55am On Sep 22, 2013
And ibo girls wonder why they remain unmarried and childless by the age of 35 lmao
So you won't marry because some selfish armchair village chief wants his own private jet?
The tradition of selling women for the sakes of marriage must be discontinued.
Every woman in each region is priceless, but they do not get sold to the highest bidder.
As a Yoruba woman, highly educated, sexy etc etc tongue knows her value. She does not need a list of material goods marked down by selfish, hungry family members and village chiefs to marry the man of her dreams.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 5:02am On Sep 22, 2013
Dallas Cowgirl: And ibo girls wonder why they remain unmarried and childless by the age of 35 lmao
So you won't marry because some selfish armchair village chief wants his own private jet?
Every woman in each region is priceless, but they do not get sold to the highest bidder.
As a Yoruba woman, highly educated, sexy etc etc tongue knows her value. She does not need a list of material goods marked down by selfish, hungry family members and village chiefs to marry the man of her dreams.

See your mouth....The title of the thread is Igbo traditional marriage, the yorubas have their marriage tradition, how many Ndiigbo have u seen demanding they change their marriage culture?

This marrraige tradition is far better than yoruba babaloja and mamaloja (gangstar )extortionist culture of marketers and you complain. There is a positive reason for putting the bridegroom through such rigors, otherwise he will come back for second, third and forth wifes.

Y do u think in igbo land people rarely marry more than once? This is the least of the reasons for such culture, many more but don't have time to explain.

godello: 6:05pm On Sep 21
are their bride price graded according to education level attained ?

No the list is general and do vary in certain cases but applicable to all both the poor and rich.

at age 35, all d poo you wrote up there would be thrown in d gutter angry

Sorry, if u want the bride to shoulder the cost of marriage, u can stay with the culture u are born into, at 35 even 40 the culture still applies.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Nobody: 5:17am On Sep 22, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe:

See your mouth....The title of the thread is Igbo traditional marriage, the yorubas have their marriage tradition, how many Ndiigbo have u seen demanding they change their marriage culture?

This marrraige tradition is far better than yoruba babaloja and mamaloja (gangstar )extortionist culture of marketers and you complain. There is a positive reason for putting the bridegroom through such rigors, otherwise he will come back for second, third and forth wifes.

Y do u think in igbo land people rarely marry more than once? This is the least of the reasons for such culture, many more but don't have time to explain.

No the list is general and do vary in certain cases but applicable to all both the poor and rich.

Sorry, if u want the bride to shoulder the cost of marriage, u can stay with the culture u are born into, at 35 even 40 the culture still applies.

As long as you believe the shoit you wrote up there, no problem.
There is no correlation between selling ones daughter and a successful marriage.
And why would a man who paid the feed the mouth of her villages let her go easily like that?
Are you still pretending that the "till the death do us part"is not taken literally by our Ibo brothers? grin
My street hawker ibo friend just married his girl last week, forsaking the nonsensical tradition of selling ones daughter.

Come back when you're 35 abeg grin
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by ichidodo: 6:15am On Sep 22, 2013
Dallas Cowgirl:

As long as you believe the shoit you wrote up there, no problem.
There is no correlation between selling ones daughter and a successful marriage.
And why would a man who paid the feed the mouth of her villages let her go easily like that?
Are you still pretending that the "till the death do us part"is not taken literally by our Ibo brothers? grin
My street hawker ibo friend just married his girl last week, forsaking the nonsensical tradition of selling ones daughter.

Come back when you're 35 abeg grin
Texas foul girl, Have you finished your day job waanking that white old sugar daddy of yours ? Why don't you zoom off from here or do you have cuuM/Male fluid splashed about your face so much so you didnt see the title of this thread?? It says igbo not yeriba. Now shoo!
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Adaeze003(f): 7:36am On Sep 22, 2013
Dallas Cowgirl: And ibo girls wonder why they remain unmarried and childless by the age of 35 lmao

This post reeks of one who wants to start a fight. Its been long rii?

So what you're saying is that its a curse to be single @ 35 and no yoruba girl can be caught single @ that age? I hear u.
When did this thread become about yourba girls sef?

Like I said earlier if you don't buy all the things on the list no1 will sue you
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Enegod(m): 7:49am On Sep 22, 2013
she must be giving me punny 3 to 4 times a day if i pay all this to marry her..
she must not talk while i am talking
she must be totally loyal to me
I bought her with money...so, she must do exactly what i want her to do... angry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Are Women Becoming Evil Monsters These Days (graphic Photos) / She Is Going To Loose Her Man Because She Can't Cum. / (pic) What Girls Think Guys Like, What Guys Actually Like

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.