Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,356 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October - Health (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October (32678 Views)

NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters / Breaking:- FG Sacks All Resident Doctors / FG Should Stop Doctors From Establishing Private Clinics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 5:09am On Oct 22, 2013
Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 5:40am On Oct 22, 2013
dr_joshua2000: Doctor young and his power plays sha, always trying to seek the sympathy of sycophants and act in such a holier than though manner. And if you are a doctor you are a disgrace, but in this shameful realm the health workers see you as the real doctor for selling your birthright at a cost cheaper than pure water and groundnut. God save you!
I know the feelings bro, you can maim me If I say this openly. I am supposed to back you up while you're being so unprofessional and now I am not a real doctor because I don't use inflammatory and derogatory words to make my points.
Let me break down things to you all. Nigeria doctors have it good, you don't tussle with pharmacists and nurses to diagnose, treat, order investigations and other stuffs. Ever heard of clinical officers in east and some part of southern African that can do almost what doctors do including surgery, midwives in Mozambique conducting obstetrics surgery thereby reducing.their maternal and infant mortality, nurse practitioners and pharmacists prescribing in US and UK and even physiotherapist too. In US, these nurses here are gaining ground to practice independently leaving the primary doctors hanging out dry and the only saving grace for doctors is super specializing in cardiothoracic, neurosurgery, oncology and more of it in many other countries.
Then in Nigeria, we act as Gods, if the legislation favours them we will be out of job or even competing with the mid-levels because most Nigerian doctors are only MBBS holders that is primary care doctors ( not even equivalent because primary doctors do 3 years of residency ). Our strikes are appearing too childish and about 20 years ago, Ransome-kuti spearheaded the establishments of community health workers to ensure that the PHC centres are manned, with only HND which was quantify 5 years ago. Currently, they are earning degrees in community health, check the curriculum of.community.health and community medicine and tell me the different.
It starts gradually and before you know it boom, then the nurses will come in and with their large numbers, they too are earning higher degrees too and the main war will start. What these guys need is a slight change in curriculum and they will start diagnosing and prescribing. Knowing our senior colleagues, they surely will take on the services of these mid-levels with experience than a wet in the ear doctor to maximize profit. Our politicians dont want to be bothered, if you ask for more they will look at the job description of this mid-levels and try to fix them somewhere to reduce the cost and you know how.we like to copy things and overdoing it. Doctors have it good in Nigeria really and don't abuse it or it will backfire on us. Let us mellow down because people are reading these and are forming opinions on doctors. No cheers greeted the major break throughs we have in Nigeria instead the remarks are too cynical "are you sure is them really or they invited other foreign experts" soo painful that people don't trust us. To even question our medical prowess is disheartening to say the least.
In summary, make Nigeria medical care the best. Peace.

2 Likes

Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 6:34am On Oct 22, 2013
That is why i do not like u either because rely on half-truths and propangada. I am very sure u did not reads the links. The role of pharmacists in pharmaceutical care apply to primary care setting and dealing with family physcian or general practitioner. Read the first link from wma site where roles of pharmacists and physcians are described in details. Even medscape link say it is pharmacists that would initiate the process. Pls read the links again.
#me@:
I dont like u for one tin. U know the truth but u wont tell it.
Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 7:01am On Oct 22, 2013
The policy in usa and some countries that allow other health workers to job of doctors is due to shortage of primary care or family physcian cos many doctors wants to specialize and superspecialize. In nigeria is no shortage of doctors. Many doctors are looking for jobs.There is nothing wrong if pharmacists and nurses are allowed to prescribe drugs in PRIMARY CARE FACILITIES as in usa and few other countries. Even presently cho,chew are prescribing in those centres in nigeria. However, if that would be done there should a strict regulation. That is fear of nigeria doctors. Hence we should focus on kicking against quacks among nurse, pharmacist and doctors after which doctors could leave some of their traditional roles to pharmacist and nurses. For now in primary care centres let doctors do their job of diagnosing and prescribing drugs then pharmcists should advise the doctors on approriate drug combination, manage therapy and dispense. Then nurses do the jobs of caring for patients. I want u guys to get recent who publication on right mix of health workforce from that we can understand ourselves.
joshuapharm:

I enjoyed the link tho, especially the second one although there was nothing new, but the collaboration already happens in the US and UK. Even though the doctors are scared. I was shocked to see that it's not only in Nigeria that happens too. Like this...

An even bigger obstacle, however, is physicians' fear that pharmacists want to grab part of their prescriptive role. As evidence, they point to the fight that pharmacists are waging in a number of states for expanded prescribing authority.

The pharmacist is the single most underused resource in the modern hospital," said Lucian L. Leape, MD, adjunct professor of health policy at the Harvard School of Public Health. Dr. Leape, who was lead author of the JAMA study on the effectiveness of pharmacists rounding in hospitals and a member of the IOM report panel, advocates getting hospital pharmacists out of the basement and into the wards...

This said, pharmaceutical care must happen one way or the other!! The collaboration must happen.. But our docs here think otherwise.. *smh*

Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 7:20am On Oct 22, 2013
Dr, u rely on half-truth tn propagate ur ideas. Yes doctors are focusing more specializatn and higher specialization. Now primary ares lacks doctors. Do we have shortage of doctors in nigeria? NO. Do u know how jobless are doctors in nigeria and u want to other health worker to come and over remaining jobs. So other health workers have to fill the gap. Every policy change must be backed by research ,facts and genuine reasons not in name of profesional ego and development. Mind u it is health workers that want extended roles.that means it is not the primary role. So before we can be talking of extended roles for other workers in health sectors our health system must be developed. For our health system to develop each profession must sanitize itself and kick out quacks. Then there must be strict regulatory system.
Dr young: I know the feelings bro, you can maim me If I say this openly. I am supposed to back you up while you're being so unprofessional and now I am not a real doctor because I don't use inflammatory and derogatory words to make my points.
Let me break down things to you all. Nigeria doctors have it good, you don't tussle with pharmacists and nurses to diagnose, treat, order investigations and other stuffs. Ever heard of clinical officers in east and some part of southern African that can do almost what doctors do including surgery, midwives in Mozambique conducting obstetrics surgery thereby reducing.their maternal and infant mortality, nurse practitioners and pharmacists prescribing in US and UK and even physiotherapist too. In US, these nurses here are gaining ground to practice independently leaving the primary doctors hanging out dry and the only saving grace for doctors is super specializing in cardiothoracic, neurosurgery, oncology and more of it in many other countries.
Then in Nigeria, we act as Gods, if the legislation favours them we will be out of job or even competing with the mid-levels because most Nigerian doctors are only MBBS holders that is primary care doctors ( not even equivalent because primary doctors do 3 years of residency ). Our strikes are appearing too childish and about 20 years ago, Ransome-kuti spearheaded the establishments of community health workers to ensure that the PHC centres are manned, with only HND which was quantify 5 years ago. Currently, they are earning degrees in community health, check the curriculum of.community.health and community medicine and tell me the different.
It starts gradually and before you know it boom, then the nurses will come in and with their large numbers, they too are earning higher degrees too and the main war will start. What these guys need is a slight change in curriculum and they will start diagnosing and prescribing. Knowing our senior colleagues, they surely will take on the services of these mid-levels with experience than a wet in the ear doctor to maximize profit. Our politicians dont want to be bothered, if you ask for more they will look at the job description of this mid-levels and try to fix them somewhere to reduce the cost and you know how.we like to copy things and overdoing it. Doctors have it good in Nigeria really and don't abuse it or it will backfire on us. Let us mellow down because people are reading these and are forming opinions on doctors. No cheers greeted the major break throughs we have in Nigeria instead the remarks are too cynical "are you sure is them really or they invited other foreign experts" soo painful that people don't trust us. To even question our medical prowess is disheartening to say the least.
In summary, make Nigeria medical care the best. Peace.
Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 9:37am On Oct 22, 2013
This boy dey talk. Nurses prescribe in primary care because of doctors shortage and its legal even from public health. But even in the US secondary and tertiary care is lead by doctors and if a doctor is in the primary health centre he automatically takes over leadership. Even in my village there's no doctor only a nurse who has to do some minor treatment and refer more difficult cases. Mosambiques case is also in the rural areas due to doctors shortage. Even in the WHO office (G.H.A.I.N) in Abuja where my friend works, the nurses don't compare to the docs in pay and they are all paid in dollars, the past 5 presidents of the WHO have been doctors, there would have been chaos if it was in Nigeria. I still believe you are one of those health workers forming doctor to earn cheap attention and If you don't have any opinion or if the little hard currency you are earning is getting into your head try and sharrap @ Dr Young.
Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by youngRx(m): 9:45am On Oct 22, 2013
Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 11:19am On Oct 22, 2013
From inception all director-generals of world health organization are doctors and would always be doctors. In primary care if there are no doctors ,then other healh workers do the jobs. Ride on. Pls do not abuse. That is what dryoung has against u. And dryoung need to do more research on why other health workers do the job of mainly for doctors.
dr_joshua2000: This boy dey talk. Nurses prescribe in primary care because of doctors shortage and its legal even from public health. But even in the US secondary and tertiary care is lead by doctors and if a doctor is in the primary health centre he automatically takes over leadership. Even in my village there's no doctor only a nurse who has to do some minor treatment and refer more difficult cases. Mosambiques case is also in the rural areas due to doctors shortage. Even in the WHO office (G.H.A.I.N) in Abuja where my friend works, the nurses don't compare to the docs in pay and they are all paid in dollars, the past 5 presidents of the WHO have been doctors, there would have been chaos if it was in Nigeria. I still believe you are one of those health workers forming doctor to earn cheap attention and If you don't have any opinion or if the little hard currency you are earning is getting into your head try and sharrap @ Dr Young.
Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 22, 2013
Thanks Lalamed. Srry for the percieved insults.
Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 12:53pm On Oct 22, 2013
pls read this link to see that issues heing discusses are global. even developed countries are having issue with extended roles for pharmacist,nurses and other health workers. the article discuss roles enhancement,enlargement,substitution ,delegation and flexible.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2813845/

1 Like

Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 6:55pm On Oct 22, 2013
Please, Google what primary care doctors is? Let's start from there. To say that there is no shortage of doctors in Nigeria is so unsettling. What is the doctor-patient ratio in Nigeria? Why do we need the CHEWs and nurses to head the health centres which according to you is filled with doctors.
Let's face reality here, Nigeria needs it medical professionals and not this incessant strikes from all quarters.
Dr Joshua, your choice of word.won't stop me from writing what I believe in. At least you acknowledge that nurses work in PHC doing some of doctors stuff in Nigeria but currently in US the issue now is to work independently without any physician oversight, most states has given them autonomy and they are fighting for more. No more supervision from any physician in some states especially the CRNAs. Your comment on Mozambique non-doctor surgeon really says a lot about your understanding of the issues. They are licensed to work in Mozambique alone and it can be anywhere in Mozambique but they are mostly needed in the rural areas and how about the clinical officers I mentioned, did you bother to search for them too. Did I mention that there is a nurse practitioners residency program in pediatrics, critical care and family medicine where I am doing my residency
Use Google and see how politicians work and how they can be swayed by any profession to gain what they want. In US most health professionals has a more powerful lobbying groups than doctors and what if the situation in Nigeria change in their favour. The recent court verdict rules in their favour and is awaiting implementation unlike before when it stays in court forever. What if the next minister is a nurse or a pharmacist then woe betide us.Search for all these things I raised here And give me an intelligent and unbiased feedback.
Sorry for my incoherent ranting cos I am enjoying my break period, but I still stand on my earlier aesertions let our work speak for us. Back to workkkkkkkkk.
Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 6:56pm On Oct 22, 2013
Please, Google what primary care doctors is? Let's start from there. To say that there is no shortage of doctors in Nigeria is so unsettling. What is the doctor-patient ratio in Nigeria? Why do we need the CHEWs and nurses to head the health centres which according to you is filled with doctors.
Let's face reality here, Nigeria needs it medical professionals and not this incessant strikes from all quarters.
Dr Joshua, your choice of word.won't stop me from writing what I believe in. At least you acknowledge that nurses work in PHC doing some of doctors stuff in Nigeria but currently in US the issue now is to work independently without any physician oversight, most states has given them autonomy and they are fighting for more. No more supervision from any physician in some states especially the CRNAs. Your comment on Mozambique non-doctor surgeon really says a lot about your understanding of the issues. They are licensed to work in Mozambique alone and it can be anywhere in Mozambique but they are mostly needed in the rural areas and how about the clinical officers I mentioned, did you bother to search for them too. Did I mention that there is a nurse practitioners residency program in pediatrics, critical care and family medicine where I am doing my residency
Use Google and see how politicians work and how they can be swayed by any profession to gain what they want. In US most health professionals has a more powerful lobbying groups than doctors and what if the situation in Nigeria change in their favour. The recent court verdict rules in their favour and is awaiting implementation unlike before when it stays in court forever. What if the next minister is a nurse or a pharmacist then woe betide us.Search for all these things I raised here And give me an intelligent and unbiased feedback.
Sorry for my incoherent ranting cos I am enjoying my break period, but I still stand on my earlier assertion let our work speak for us. Back to workkkkkkkkk.
Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 8:51pm On Oct 22, 2013
I still maintain that there is no shortages of doctors in nigeria. Many house officers are waiting for a year before getting place for internship. Also thousands of doctors apply for uch residency this year and less than 10 % was employed. I repeat it doctors are jobless in nigeria. Do not compare us health system with nigeria. Policy change or reform is backed by research. Is there any research in nigeria to prove ur point? NO. On nurse practioners, an oncologist physcians would need oncologist nurses just as paediatrician would need paediatric nurses and so on. Get ur fact right and know that there is increasing aging population with burden of chronic diseases like cancer. Many hospices are opening up and nurses are needed more than doctors. Hospice is more of nursing care. I still maintain it is shortage of doctors and cost that are driving health reform in those countries including mozambique. I want u to check more info on skill mix in health workforce and joint statement by worldwide associations of doctors, nurses and physcians on professional autonomy.
Dr young: Please, Google what primary care doctors is? Let's start from there. To say that there is no shortage of doctors in Nigeria is so unsettling. What is the doctor-patient ratio in Nigeria? Why do we need the CHEWs and nurses to head the health centres which according to you is filled with doctors.
Sorry for my incoherent ranting cos I am enjoying my break period, but I still stand on my earlier assertion let our work speak for us. Back to workkkkkkkkk.
Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 22, 2013
We can argue back an forth but the doctor still remains at the frontline of health care and the most respected world wide. There are enough doctors in Nigeria save the brain drain and poor renumeration and the fact that many doctors are struggling to go into residency.
Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 9:58pm On Oct 22, 2013
Do we compare the one year residency nurses do to that of a doctor that spends more than 5years in surgery and 5 years in internal medicine? let's stop decieving ourselves, the highest paid and most respected health professionals are doctors. The surgery done in mosambique by midwives is CS so that we don't give the impression that its all surgeries and its due to doctors shortage and to reduce mortality. Pharmacist residency is leess than 2yrs. So stop watering down the doctors essence in your bid to be diplomatic and kind to everyone.
Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by joshuapharm(m): 10:24pm On Oct 22, 2013
dr_joshua2000: Do we compare the one year residency nurses do to that of a doctor that spends more than 5years in surgery and 5 years in internal medicine? let's stop decieving ourselves, the highest paid and most respected health professionals are doctors. The surgery done in mosambique by midwives is CS so that we don't give the impression that its all surgeries and its due to doctors shortage and to reduce mortality. Pharmacist residency is leess than 2yrs. So stop watering down the doctors essence in your bid to be diplomatic and kind to everyone.

I've given up on you Dr Josh! What you wrote here is utter nonsense, what were you trying to say?

1 Like

Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by joshuapharm(m): 10:40pm On Oct 22, 2013
Laalamed: I still maintain that there is no shortages of doctors in nigeria. Many house officers are waiting for a year before getting place for internship. Also thousands of doctors apply for uch residency this year and less than 10 % was employed. I repeat it doctors are jobless in nigeria. Do not compare us health system with nigeria. Policy change or reform is backed by research. Is there any research in nigeria to prove ur point? NO. On nurse practioners, an oncologist physcians would need oncologist nurses just as paediatrician would need paediatric nurses and so on. Get ur fact right and know that there is increasing aging population with burden of chronic diseases like cancer. Many hospices are opening up and nurses are needed more than doctors. Hospice is more of nursing care. I still maintain it is shortage of doctors and cost that are driving health reform in those countries including mozambique. I want u to check more info on skill mix in health workforce and joint statement by worldwide associations of doctors, nurses and physcians on professional autonomy.

I taya for u too oo! You can like to divert arguments. Did he talk about oncology physicians when he talked about nurse practitioners residency program? I know about unemployment of doctors tho, theres a glut of doctors in Nigeria just as we have medical schools almost everywhere. But this doesn't mean the right things shudnt be done!

1 Like

Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by joshuapharm(m): 10:53pm On Oct 22, 2013
Dr young: Please, Google what primary care doctors is? Let's start from there. To say that there is no shortage of doctors in Nigeria is so unsettling. What is the doctor-patient ratio in Nigeria? Why do we need the CHEWs and nurses to head the health centres which according to you is filled with doctors.

Well, the bitter truth has been spilled! We are watching. Pls don't waste ur time on DrJosh, he's not intelligent enough. If a nurse or pharmacist becomes minister of health? Trust me, doctors won't let that that happen cos they know the kind of revolution that'll let loose in health-care. Once again, we are watching.. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by docsholz(m): 11:10pm On Oct 22, 2013
It seems studying medicine is rapidly losing its relevance in Nigeria, soon pharmacists will carry out surgeries and there'll be no more need for doctors.

GOD HELP ME TO PASS USMLE OR PLAB.IJN
Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 2:10am On Oct 23, 2013
joshuapharm:

I taya for u too oo! You can like to divert arguments. Did he talk about oncology physicians when he talked about nurse practitioners residency program? I know about unemployment of doctors tho, theres a glut of doctors in Nigeria just as we have medical schools almost everywhere. But this doesn't mean the right things shudnt be done!

every profession has its traditional job description that is acceptable worldwide. a midwife doing c/s in mozombique cannot go to usa and get licence to do surgery. the licence that she can get is to practice midwifery after passing midwifery licencing stuff. each nation has peculiar health needs. in nigeria our need is to get each profession perform it is primary duties and at most role enlargement or enhancement. we do not need role substitution and delegation for doctors or other health workers because they are not fully utilized. after full utilization of each profession,need can be assessed. in nigeria today,no doctors role for pharnacists or nurses and doctors should not do job.of nurse and pharmacist. that is right to be done until u get there.
Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 3:40am On Oct 23, 2013
Laalamed: I still maintain that there is no shortages of doctors in nigeria. Many house officers are waiting for a year before getting place for internship. Also thousands of doctors apply for uch residency this year and less than 10 % was employed. I repeat it doctors are jobless in nigeria. Do not compare us health system with nigeria. Policy change or reform is backed by research. Is there any research in nigeria to prove ur point? NO. On nurse practioners, an oncologist physcians would need oncologist nurses just as paediatrician would need paediatric nurses and so on. Get ur fact right and know that there is increasing aging population with burden of chronic diseases like cancer. Many hospices are opening up and nurses are needed more than doctors. Hospice is more of nursing care. I still maintain it is shortage of doctors and cost that are driving health reform in those countries including mozambique. I want u to check more info on skill mix in health workforce and joint statement by worldwide associations of doctors, nurses and physcians on professional autonomy.
I don't have any written research to back up doctor-patient ratio in Nigeria but how long do Nigerians wait to see a doctor not house officers? How many community hospitals and health centers has at least one doctor who stays there constantly that is capable of managing complications and emergencies ?
You didn't know about doctors brain drain in Nigeria. It seems you stay in a city where there is proliferation of hospitals, but remember that ratio of urban to rural population is 20:80. In the hinterland, TBAs flourish and there is no qualified medical professional to handle delivery, offer treatments and even enlighten the people on matters concerning their health and only one corper doctor in an LGA, most midwives on their internship can't wait to runaway after their one year. This is the situation on ground which I witness while serving. Well, i think after service in the rural areas your view will change drastically because the main population that lives below $1 lives in the villages.
And who says we don't have aging population in this country with chronic diseases? The epidemiological survey on chronic diseases is on the high rise too in Nigeria and need effective management or don't we have increase in cancer, diabetes, HBP, asthma and the rest incidence in our country too. In Mozambique, it was maternal mortality and aversion of doctors from rural communities not cost.
If mortality rates continues to rise governments will start looking for options to reduce it. SURE-P program recruited midwives and chews to work in rural areas to reduce it but their curriculum inhibit them from carrying out on CS but MVA, manual removal of placenta and many more obstetrics emergencies can be done by them, what if it changes and CS is introduced by our overzealous politicians citing Mozambique as an example, hahaha I laugh it will be hilarious to see us scrambling to stop it .
I am relating what is happening in other countries to the likely scenarios in Nigeria, so instead of living in limbo thinking that it won't happen there, then you better try to be irreplaceable or get out fast. Health care is changing and we Nigerians will not remain stagnant sooner than later it will start there and I mean health reforms, revolutions and honestly it has started with the other health workers questioning doctors leadership and every thing doctors do. Going to bed, what a long day.

1 Like

Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 3:47am On Oct 23, 2013
dr_joshua2000: Do we compare the one year residency nurses do to that of a doctor that spends more than 5years in surgery and 5 years in internal medicine? let's stop decieving ourselves, the highest paid and most respected health professionals are doctors. The surgery done in mosambique by midwives is CS so that we don't give the impression that its all surgeries and its due to doctors shortage and to reduce mortality. Pharmacist residency is leess than 2yrs. So stop watering down the doctors essence in your bid to be diplomatic and kind to everyone.
Well, i am not trying to water down doctors essence but telling us to buckle up. Meanwhile, internal medicine residency is 3 years.
Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 5:31am On Oct 23, 2013
Dr young: I don't have any written research to back up doctor-patient ratio in Nigeria but how long do Nigerians wait to see a doctor not house officers? How many community hospitals and health centers has at least one doctor who stays there constantly that is capable of managing complications and emergencies ?
You didn't know about doctors brain drain in Nigeria. It seems you stay in a city where there is proliferation of hospitals, but remember that ratio of urban to rural population is 20:80. In the hinterland, TBAs flourish and there is no qualified medical professional to handle delivery, offer treatments and even enlighten the people on matters concerning their health and only one corper doctor in an LGA, most midwives on their internship can't wait to runaway after their one year. This is the situation on ground which I witness while serving. Well, i think after service in the rural areas your view will change drastically because the main population that lives below $1 lives in the villages.
And who says we don't have aging population in this country with chronic diseases? The epidemiological survey on chronic diseases is on the high rise too in Nigeria and need effective management or don't we have increase in cancer, diabetes, HBP, asthma and the rest incidence in our country too. In Mozambique, it was maternal mortality and aversion of doctors from rural communities not cost.
If mortality rates continues to rise governments will start looking for options to reduce it. SURE-P program recruited midwives and chews to work in rural areas to reduce it but their curriculum inhibit them from carrying out on CS but MVA, manual removal of placenta and many more obstetrics emergencies can be done by them, what if it changes and CS is introduced by our overzealous politicians citing Mozambique as an example, hahaha I laugh it will be hilarious to see us scrambling to stop it .
I am relating what is happening in other countries to the likely scenarios in Nigeria, so instead of living in limbo thinking that it won't happen there, then you better try to be irreplaceable or get out fast. Health care is changing and we Nigerians will not remain stagnant sooner than later it will start there and I mean health reforms, revolutions and honestly it has started with the other health workers questioning doctors leadership and every thing doctors do. Going to bed, what a long day.

u still.do not get it. doctor-population ration in mozambique is <0.1:1000. international community is crying cos of mozambigue pititiable health problems. presently mozambigue is trying to recruit doctors from south africa. early this year doctors went on strike over pay in mozambique. in april nurses and doctors went on strike. mozambigue problem is serious one and cannot be compared to nigeria. mozambigue was in civil war for almost 15years.

there is no shortages of doctors in nigeria. what we have is brain drain. many graduates are not getting places for housemanship. why? post nysc doctors are not getting places expect in private with irregular peanuts . thousands of doctors are not getting place for residency. consultants are now looking for jobs,offered peanuts.

on rural areas,doctors are willing to to go to rural area. i.know some colleagues working in rural areas. for them no job satisfaction cos of lack of technologies.
note that medical practice is universal. can midwife licence to do certain surgeries in mozambigue get licence in usa as midwife? but a doctor anywhere just need to pass licencing exams and start practice as doctors either resident,mo or consultants. a np with surgical cannot come and do surgery in nigeria,mdcn will not agree. what i am saying is that we should be advocating for what is universally ACCEPTED not abnormal situation as in mozambique.
even among developed nation, usa is worst hit by shortage primare care doctors. u can check.google.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_care_physician

that is why some policy changes there.
MIND U U CANNOT ALTER A POLICY WITHOUT RESEARCH TO THAT EFFECT.
Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 5:34am On Oct 23, 2013
Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by onagoodday1: 5:40am On Oct 23, 2013
Well,it is very difficult to argue with someone who rarely reasons,i have observe that whatever argument MOST Nigerian drs are doing are always centered around
1.money: we are highest paid and all that ish
2. we are highscoring jamb students
3. we are head of medical team(i wonder who made them that)
4. copying links from google that supports their argument
5.INSULTING anyone that presents a superio argument
6. we know it all attitude.
They are not logical,they raely use their common sense. It is a waste of time reading things written by dr josh,lalaamed and some others, because you know where their argument will always revolve.
But let me tell us all,the health care sector rests on a tripod stand i.e diagnosing,prescribing and care and untill those roles are separated and manned by the relevant professions,you will continue to see derogatery annd defamatery threads and opinions. the drs should work with the scientists to come up with diagnoses,anything drug should left to the pharmacist and anything care should be handle by nurses. It is a bitter pill for the doctors,but as a n old man you have to understand that the young are now grown ups and can adequately take care of themselves,why stampede them.

2 Likes

Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 6:26am On Oct 23, 2013
it is only a slowpoke that read shallow comments by on the good day. for joshuapharm and me i wish i know them personally to discuss . they are reasonable. constructive arguement is not sin.doctors should be allowed to do their jobs without interference as declared by world medical association. pharmacists should do their primary jobs producing,marketing,dispensing , checking medication errors and managing medications. nurses should continue their primary jobs of caring for patients. med lab scientists should know that pathologists have been existence for more than 100years before advent of med lab science and they should not interfere with pathologists jobs. the same applies to radiographers v radiologists.

people must know understand concept.of roles engancement;enlargement,flexibility,substitution and delegation as applied to healthcare system

people must know that healthcare profession is universal. we must insist on things that apply and accepted globally not sitting peculiar needs of certain countries to justify selfish ambitions.

people must know there are global shortages of healthworkers with WHO makes reference to doctors and nurses. developed nations are ready to pay for their services. our focus should be on how to retrain and retain healthcare workers.
Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 7:01am On Oct 23, 2013
some people here lack ability to think and reason. on the good day is one of them. he has never presented a tangible point backed by factts. for joshuapharm and few others their arguement is understandable but pointless. i am one of the advocate of universality of healthcare practice. i believe that we can evaluate without knowing the history and understanding the present. any aberration from that is invitation to anarchy which I CAN NEVER BE PART OF.

ONE WORLD.GLOBAL VILLAGE. UNITED GLOBAL HEALTH WORKERS.
Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by joshuapharm(m): 7:58am On Oct 23, 2013
on a good day:
Well,it is very difficult to argue with someone who rarely reasons,i have observe that whatever argument MOST Nigerian drs are doing are always centered around
1.money: we are highest paid and all that ish
2. we are highscoring jamb students
3. we are head of medical team(i wonder who made them that)
4. copying links from google that supports their argument
5.INSULTING anyone that presents a superio argument
6. we know it all attitude.
They are not logical,they raely use their common sense. It is a waste of time reading things written by dr josh,lalaamed and some others, because you know where their argument will always revolve.
But let me tell us all,the health care sector rests on a tripod stand i.e diagnosing,prescribing and care and untill those roles are separated and manned by the relevant professions,you will continue to see derogatery annd defamatery threads and opinions. the drs should work with the scientists to come up with diagnoses,anything drug should left to the pharmacist and anything care should be handle by nurses. It is a bitter pill for the doctors,but as a n old man you have to understand that the young are now grown ups and can adequately take care of themselves,why stampede them.

This 6 points are very true. 1,2,3,5 and 6 for people like Dr josh, No 4 has laalamed written all over! He said my argument is pointless, Hahahahahahahahahahaha I rest my case here. It's not worth it.

1 Like

Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 8:03am On Oct 23, 2013
Pharmacist should handle anything concerning drugs? see how shallow you think. Whose traditional job is it to prescribe, pharmaceutical companies even write that drug should be taken under physicians prescription. Dispense ur drugs, clarify mistakes in prescription that's your only jobs in teaching hospitals. You can go to the villages and communities with no doctors if you want to prescribe and the pharmaceutical companies if you want to be the lord. Pharmacists are just too lazy, seeking to reap more bounty than they deserve. @ on a good day. Moreover nurses will soon start one year internship that should cover the so-called residency young has been talking about and that will make them more relevant than the hospital pharmacist who sit down all day doing nothing.
Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by joshuapharm(m): 8:11am On Oct 23, 2013
doc sholz: It seems studying medicine is rapidly losing its relevance in Nigeria, soon pharmacists will carry out surgeries and there'll be no more need for doctors.

Medicine is a special profession, it would never lose its relevance. The situation in Nigeria where doctors use political power to do unnecessary stuff has had members of other health professions come up against them. Their na-we-suppose-dey-everywhere attitude couldnt be stomached anymore. That's what happen, medicine would never lose its relevance.

1 Like

Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by joshuapharm(m): 8:11am On Oct 23, 2013
doc sholz: It seems studying medicine is rapidly losing its relevance in Nigeria, soon pharmacists will carry out surgeries and there'll be no more need for doctors.

Medicine is a special profession, it would never lose its relevance. The situation in Nigeria where doctors use political power to do unnecessary stuff has had members of other health professions come up against them. Their na-we-suppose-dey-everywhere attitude couldnt be stomached anymore. That's what happened, medicine would never lose its relevance.

1 Like

Re: Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October by Nobody: 8:13am On Oct 23, 2013
Its only in Nigeria that physicians are not the head of the health team. Even in the US physician led health care management is the standard. But with corruption @ the core of the Nigerian system there's no hierarchy.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Psychiatric Doctor In The House: Advise On Psychological And Mental Health Issue / Ebola Scare In Imo State (bath Salt Water) / Profiling Nigerians Who Died Of COVID-19 Disease

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.