Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,229 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (257) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (518025 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 09, 2014
vest:
Plz To All

Why are u a Catholic Christain? I Rily Want To Knw!this might sound funny bt am seriouz oh!

as for me am a catholic christain becos i blive the catholic church hold the fullnes of al God's reviled truth although their are some element of truth in other religion

I started out as a pagan. A natural consequence of being born into a pagan family. I worshipped, though passively, a deity called Ise who happens to be a river goddess in Agenebode.

I was not privileged to have a background that is strictly Catholic and on retrospect, I am very happy that this was the case because if I had been handed the faith on a platter, I would have embraced Deism today.

My pagan background exposed me to the realities of other spirits who under a different circumstance I wouldn't have a problem disbelieving their very existence.

Ironically, the knowledge of this reality was the springboard upon which my leap to the Catholic faith was made possible. Though this started with my parents, but my exposure to them and personal studies led me to Catholicism.

Thence my love and appreciation for the Church goes beyond the face value. I cannot but remain Catholic till my dying days. My faith in the Church is unshakable. Though I get angry at some things in the Church but my faith in her is more solid than rock.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 5:17pm On Nov 09, 2014
Syncan:
Jesus said to his disciples, ‘I tell you this: use money, tainted as it is, to win you friends, and thus make sure that when it fails you, they will welcome you into the tents of eternity. --Lk16:9

From today's gospel. Hmm...the friends Titoetal wins with money, will welcome him into the tent of eternity. Come o, if these friends are the people we aid here, what guarantee is there that they themselves will make heaven? Ehm...well, do good anyway, you never know....However, helping the souls in purgatory is like "sure banker", woky you understand na. They must eventually end up there, so lightening their burden and quickening their release surely gets you friends; who will welcome you into tents of eternity.

This november, dedicated to the holy souls; With your money, book masses for them. With your money, do charity and offer the merits for the holy souls. With your money, support groups dedicated to praying for the holy souls. You will surely have friends to welcome you into the tents of eternity.

Eternal rest grant them o Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace, amen.

Good day brethren, a splendid day ahead to all.
Thanks bro!

Happy sunday.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 2:51am On Nov 10, 2014
woky:
Thanks bro!

Happy sunday.

God bless you.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 6:14am On Nov 10, 2014
striktlymi:

I started out as a pagan. A natural consequence of being born into a pagan family. I worshipped, though passively, a deity called Ise who happens to be a river goddess in Agenebode.

I was not privileged to have a background that is strictly Catholic and on retrospect, I am very happy that this was the case because if I had been handed the faith on a platter, I would have embraced Deism today.

My pagan background exposed me to the realities of other spirits who under a different circumstance I wouldn't have a problem disbelieving their very existence.

Ironically, the knowledge of this reality was the springboard upon which my leap to the Catholic faith was made possible. Though this started with my parents, but my exposure to them and personal studies led me to Catholicism.

Thence my love and appreciation for the Church goes beyond the face value. I cannot but remain Catholic till my dying days. My faith in the Church is unshakable. Though I get angry at some things in the Church but my faith in her is more solid than rock.

I'm from Agenebode too. My mum is Igbo sha.

Only been there once...when I was ten. Grandpa's burial.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Mzflexydeeva(f): 6:36am On Nov 10, 2014
Good morning great people of God grin

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:44am On Nov 10, 2014
On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.” John 7:37-38

Aren't we thirsty still of God's life giving water? The moment the samaritan woman discovered the truth of this life giving water, she BEGGED Jesus to give this water to her that she will be thirsty no more. Yet here Jesus himself offers us this without restrictions, all we need do is walk up to him in faith and DRINK.

He who called and offered to us this is faithful enough to satisfy us if we humbly come to him. Our thirst may differ as some of us thirst and hunger for a greater faith, some thirst and hunger for righteousness, some thirst to know God the more, some thirst to commune better with him, some thirst for more material blessings, the thirst is endless.....,but the Good news is JESUS IS ABUNDANTLY ABLE TO SATISFY US ALL.

All we need do is "COME"......Just take a step with faith...

Good morning brethren and do have a fulfilled day ahead smiley

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:56am On Nov 10, 2014
italo:

Trying hard to pretend I didn't see this but no way!
Italo you mean at your age, you've only been to your village once? And from a mental calculation that's over two decades now,

Please your village people need to organise mass return for people like you, don't worry if you can't find your way yourself, I believe Striktlymi will be kind enough to take you with him. Well that's if he himself has gone home in the past 25 years smiley walahi una dey surprise me o grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:59am On Nov 10, 2014
Mzflexydeeva:
Deeva happy day unto you smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 7:39am On Nov 10, 2014
SalC:
Italo you mean at your age, you've only been to your village once? And from a mental calculation that's over two decades now,

Please your village people need to organise mass return for people like you, don't worry if you can't find your way yourself, I believe Striktlymi will be kind enough to take you with him. Well that's if he himself has gone home in the past 25 years smiley walahi una dey surprise me o grin

This is easy for you to say, but if you were in my shoes, village wouldn't be easy to go.

Do you think that it is by your own doing that you go to your village more than I go mine?

It is partly because of your parents...and your 'kind' of village.

Afterall, I dey go my mama village. That one dey easy to go.

At the end of the day, after all is said and done, what is the difference?

Heaven is our eternal village. smiley

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 7:40am On Nov 10, 2014
Mzflexydeeva:
morning
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 8:12am On Nov 10, 2014
italo:

smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 8:14am On Nov 10, 2014
SalC:

Last time I visited was 16 years ago. wink
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 8:26am On Nov 10, 2014
italo:

This is easy for you to say, but if you were in my shoes, village wouldn't be easy to go.

Do you think that it is by your own doing that you go to your village more than I go mine?

It is partly because of your parents...and your 'kind' of village.

Afterall, I dey go my mama village. That one dey easy to go.

At the end of the day, after all is said and done, what is the difference?

Heaven is our eternal village. smiley
If I hear......ok let me take the 'kind' of village ish, I don't believe there's a village that is some sort of saintly village but again that won't deter us from going home for that long.
Ok ok I have some friends from Edo who talk of witches hanging on barb wire and the likes, don't know if it true or not but still........

We all know heaven is our eternal village but God create us and placed us in an earthly village too smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 8:33am On Nov 10, 2014
striktlymi:

Last time I visited was 16 years ago. wink
I said it! Why am I not surprised, ok where is Ubenedictus he needs to take you both home. I pray he doesn't come here and tell me he has gone home for 30 years now. Well I remember he went home sometime last year.

What happened to you? Thesame kind of village ish? Or just too busy to go home? cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by vest(m): 8:38am On Nov 10, 2014
babestell:
Am Catholic because I was born Catholic
jst dat?
i hardly tel when u ar serious or nt.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by vest(m): 8:40am On Nov 10, 2014
SalC:
Can't sleep embarassed

I am Catholic because I can't have it any other way than the Catholic way.
very good

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 8:41am On Nov 10, 2014
SalC:
I said it! Why am I not surprised, ok where is Ubenedictus he needs to take you both home. I pray he doesn't come here and tell me he has gone home for 30 years now. Well I remember he went home sometime last year.

What happened to you? Thesame kind of village ish? Or just too busy to go home? cheesy

I was born in Lagos and practically lived all my life here. The occasional visits home saw me pay homage to the deity of my fathers. I lost interest in going home because of the discord that exists in my grand fathers house. If I go today, every member of the family would welcome me but about 80% of the welcome party wouldn't mind seeing my head on a stake. grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by vest(m): 8:50am On Nov 10, 2014
btoks:
@Vest,I'm catholic because the CC has the fullness of christian truth.It claims it is the church established by Christ and I believe this by looking through its history and seeing how authoritative it has been. Even today the CC continues to act with this authority in defining and maintaining Christian faith..
If it was just about a book then I wonder how people have been able to decide which book to follow out of the plethora of religions.

yeah! seventy two men where once ask to study the bible on a particular issuse and this 72 men came up with seventy two different interpretations of their own on that same issuse using jst only the scripture alone!

problems with sola scriptural
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 8:53am On Nov 10, 2014
striktlymi:

I was born in Lagos and practically lived all my life here. The occasional visits home saw me pay homage to the deity of my fathers. I lost interest in going home because of the discord that exists in my grand fathers house. If I go today, every member of the family would welcome me but about 80% of the welcome party wouldn't mind seeing my head on a stake. grin
The bold got me laughing, I believe paying homage to these dieties isn't compulsory, maybe they were able to convince you then but you know better now so that's no longer an issue. As for some wanting to see your head on the stake, that could be because they probably look at you as a lost son who intentionally preferred being lost. But then they can only wish, all you need is to tread carefully and you will surely jump and pass cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 8:57am On Nov 10, 2014
vest:
very good
Yeah, and some people think am 'mad' instead cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by vest(m): 8:57am On Nov 10, 2014
striktlymi:

where is agenebode lagos?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by vest(m): 8:59am On Nov 10, 2014
SalC:
Yeah, and some people think am 'mad' instead cheesy
who? and why?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:03am On Nov 10, 2014
vest:
who? and why?
Some of my 'friends', they believe it's fanatic to say that let alone uphold it.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 9:50am On Nov 10, 2014
SalC:
On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.” John 7:37-38

Aren't we thirsty still of God's life giving water? The moment the samaritan woman discovered the truth of this life giving water, she BEGGED Jesus to give this water to her that she will be thirsty no more. Yet here Jesus himself offers us this without restrictions, all we need do is walk up to him in faith and DRINK.

He who called and offered to us this is faithful enough to satisfy us if we humbly come to him. Our thirst may differ as some of us thirst and hunger for a greater faith, some thirst and hunger for righteousness, some thirst to know God the more, some thirst to commune better with him, some thirst for more material blessings, the thirst is endless.....,but the Good news is JESUS IS ABUNDANTLY ABLE TO SATISFY US ALL.

All we need do is "COME"......Just take a step with faith...

Good morning brethren and do have a fulfilled day ahead smiley

Yes He is able. God bless you.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 9:53am On Nov 10, 2014
I am a catholic first by birth, and then as i grew older, I looked into the matter, and got convinced that God will have me follow no other way.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 9:56am On Nov 10, 2014
SalC:
The bold got me laughing, I believe paying homage to these dieties isn't compulsory, maybe they were able to convince you then but you know better now so that's no longer an issue. As for some wanting to see your head on the stake, that could be because they probably look at you as a lost son who intentionally preferred being lost. But then they can only wish, all you need is to tread carefully and you will surely jump and pass cheesy

smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 9:58am On Nov 10, 2014
vest:
where is agenebode lagos?

Edo state. Should be about 2 - 4 hours from Benin, depending on the speed of the driver and the condition of the road.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 10:11am On Nov 10, 2014
SalC:
If I hear......ok let me take the 'kind' of village ish, I don't believe there's a village that is some sort of saintly village but again that won't deter us from going home for that long.
Ok ok I have some friends from Edo who talk of witches hanging on barb wire and the likes, don't know if it true or not but still........

We all know heaven is our eternal village but God create us and placed us in an earthly village too smiley

Yes. And God said "thou shalt not stay away from your father's village of origin for 20years."

Stop making a big deal about this earthly village thingy.

I was born in London, lived, studied and worked in Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt. Visited countless cities within and outside Nigeria. I have found God and his children in all these places.

All the earth is my temporary village...heaven is my eternal village.

If you like your village so much, why do you spend not more than one week in a year there...and spend the remaining 51 weeks in another person's village?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by vest(m): 10:17am On Nov 10, 2014
Syncan:
I am a catholic first by birth, and then as i grew older, I looked into the matter, and got convinced that God will have me follow no other way.
ok
Re: A Thread For Catholics by babestell(f): 10:40am On Nov 10, 2014
vest:
jst dat?
i hardly tel when u ar serious or nt.

If I wasn't born a Catholic, I wouldn't come near the Church at all. I have read the books and learnt the catechism and I believe the Church is the true Church but if I had been born outside her, I would't convert
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 11:13am On Nov 10, 2014
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.--- Matthew 16:18

Today's Gospel reading. Is it possible for people who were not attending the catholic church while alive to make heaven at death? Yes...Like some non catholic clients of debbie, Like SalC's nice moslim friend, like some honest pagan brethren of striktlymi, like that atheist admirer of babestell, Lol.

If it is unimaginable, that good people who (by no fault of theirs); don't know and believe in the whole true teaching, will go to hell just for that sake, then how do these people get into heaven, without believing in some truth eg,...unless you are born of the water and spirit..., how will they go in there, where all beliefs will be homogenous.

The only feasible solution which is supported by scripture is that there is a state when we leave this earth in death, in which some wrongs are righted (1Cor3:15), some knowledge learned (1Pet3:18). That state in which a soul is completely prepared for heaven, a state of purification, of purging, is called "Purgatory" by the church.

“I was present when God passed sentence on notorious sinners. Great is His justice, but still more inconceivable is His mercy. He damns only those who are determined not to be converted; they who have a spark of good will are saved... I have seen in Purgatory Protestants who were pious in their ignorance; they are very desolate, for no prayers are offered for them... I saw that by our prayer and suffering, many a soul who labours
not during life, can be converted and saved at the hour of death.”
'The Life and Revelations of Anne Catherine Emmerich':

Pls pray for the souls in purgatory today, the church prays for them this november. Eternal rest grant them o lord, let perpetual light shine upon them.....

Good morning brethren, a splendid day to all.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Mzflexydeeva(f): 1:17pm On Nov 10, 2014
SalC:
Deeva happy day unto you smiley
and u too dear

(1) (2) (3) ... (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.