Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,216 members, 7,836,051 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (405) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (520337 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (402) (403) (404) (405) (406) (407) (408) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by MariaGoretti: 3:57pm On Sep 22, 2015
Ubenedictus:

see a doctor, check ur heart.

Apart from dat, africans have a habit of discribing events with the least posible number of words, nobody can guess what really happened from d above.
I am a doctor.....and apart from that I know what I felt even as an african.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:03am On Sep 23, 2015
FIFTH DAY

(Eucharist & Confession)
Reflection on the life of St. Vincent de Paul

St. Vincent felt that one of the most important ministries he had to do was to encourage people to receive the sacraments especially the Eucharist and Reconciliation on a regular basis. In the rule of life for the members of his congregation they were to receive reconciliation at least once a week. Reflection questions for your own life When was the last time I went to confession to receive forgiveness for my sins by Christ the healer of souls? Do I worthily receive and know that it is truly Jesus when I consume His Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity at the Eucharist? How is my faith change by these sacraments?

Pray the Novena prayer, an Our Father followed by One Hail Mary to honor the Incarnation and One Glory Be to honor the Blessed Trinity.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:08am On Sep 23, 2015
Novena Prayer

O God you were patient with St. Vincent de Paul as you moved him from
self-centeredness to be centered on you. Help me through his intercession
to grant me this petition and to know that you will grant what I desire in
your own time (your intention here) . I thank you God for everything and I
will imitate St. Vincent de Paul in growing in holiness through prayer,
participation in the sacraments and service to my neighbor especially the
poor.
Amen

Day 5
Be Charitable

Rank does not confer merit on a person, nor does age either. What does so is doing things which make us more like Christ. It’s by means of this action that we advance. It is by putting virtues into practice that we are saved. This is obvious form the gospel passage about the judgment where it’s said that our Lord will put at his right hand those who have tried to put the virtues into practice. Esp the virtues of charity, and that only those will enter the kingdom of God.

Point of Reflection
Will you be on the right hand side…?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:09am On Sep 23, 2015
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:12am On Sep 23, 2015
hurricaneChris:
Poleaxe who knows where i can download catholic hymns?

lost all the song in my computer, i currently dont have any hymn to play when i';m in the office. angry
If you get any, don't forget to share, i've been looking for that too
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:21am On Sep 23, 2015
Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. Heb 13:2

Really? entertain strangers? Does this have limit? Can I even count the number of strangers I meet in a day? Am I supposed to entertain them all? shocked what does it even mean to entertain stranger? What and what constitute this entertainment?

This one is a strong point of reflection too

Good morning brethren and do have a fruitful day ahead smiley

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 7:21am On Sep 23, 2015
Just wish I can disappear and appear in DC right now.........Just to see the pope.
Anyway,following live on EWTN and CNN.
I'm certain I will meet him someday.
Good morning everyone.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 7:25am On Sep 23, 2015
My own understanding of the 'strangers' are those who come to you for help. If you verify their claim and in a position to help,please do.
Good morning sis.
SalC:
Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. Heb 13:2

Really? entertain strangers? Does this have limit? Can I even count the number of strangers I meet in a day? Am I supposed to entertain them all? shocked what does it even mean to entertain stranger? What and what constitute this entertainment?

This one is a strong point of reflection too

Good morning brethren and do have a fruitful day ahead smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by JackBizzle: 12:13pm On Sep 23, 2015
FrancisTony:

Logicboy? lipsrsealed

I know you've missed me. Gaylord
Re: A Thread For Catholics by hurricaneChris: 2:10pm On Sep 23, 2015
SalC:
If you get any, don't forget to share, i've been looking for that too

lol, i ended up downloading from youtube.
i just typed a keyword and some related hymns came up. smiley smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 2:33pm On Sep 23, 2015
Thanks a lot @salc...

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:34am On Sep 24, 2015
SIXTH DAY
(Poor)

St. Vincent is well known for his care for the poor. He grew up in humble surroundings. Reflection questions for your own life We are all poor in some way; perhaps not materially but spiritually. We all need God. How am I helping the poor when I see them in my neighborhood, my workplace, on the streets and when they come to my door? How am I living a life of simplicity?

Pray the Novena prayer, an Our Father followed by One Hail Mary to honor the Incarnation and One Glory Be to honor the Blessed Trinity

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:39am On Sep 24, 2015
Novena Prayer

poor.
Amen

Day 6

Quality or Quantity

One day our Lord saw a good old woman on a stick go up to the treasury and drop in a very small coin as her contribution; it was all she had (Mk 12:42). This good woman’s intention made a deeper impression on him than did the much larger donation of theirs. This well illustrate that the only thing God takes into account is the INTENTION. It doesn’t matter the little amount that you are offering to someone in need, your intention in doing do have already fetched you your reward from God.

Point of reflection What intention do you have when you give?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:42am On Sep 24, 2015
Rich4god:
Thanks a lot @salc...
Any day smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:44am On Sep 24, 2015
hurricaneChris:

lol, i ended up downloading from youtube.
i just typed a keyword and some related hymns came up. smiley smiley
*sighs*
It's alright smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 8:53pm On Sep 24, 2015
Just passing by.... Looking for my zing.... Greetings everyone...

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 5:22am On Sep 25, 2015
Rich4god:
Just passing by.... Looking for my zing.... Greetings everyone...

Good morning handsome smiley

I'm right here

*Continues following*
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:22am On Sep 25, 2015
SEVENTH DAY

(Priests)

St. Vincent felt working with the poor was as important as helping semi- narians and priests grow in holiness in order to be good shepherds of God’s people. Reflection questions for your own life Do I help in the formation of seminarians and priests through my prayers and financial support? What can I do to support the priest/s of my par- ish?

Pray the Novena prayer, an Our Father followed by One Hail Mary to honor the Incarnation and One Glory Be to honor the Blessed Trinity

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:27am On Sep 25, 2015
Novena Prayer

poor.
Amen

Day 7

Prayer You say you’ve wept a lot, prayed a lot and made novenas and fasting. That’s good; for our Lord has said,”Blessed are those who weep” (Mt 5:5) and “those who ask will receive” (Lk 11:10). However, He did not said that we will immediately get what we pray for and the reason for that is so that we wouldn’t leave off praying. That is why we should always persevere in prayer and not give up. Giving up entails that we are not really resigned to Gods will and that we don’t have enough trust in his promises.

Point of Reflection How often do we pray?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:32am On Sep 25, 2015
One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples. Luk 11:1

LORD TEACH US TO PRAY

Good morning brethren and do have a favour filled day. smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 9:29am On Sep 25, 2015
Kamsified:

Good morning handsome smiley

I'm right here

*Continues following*
lol... How are you doing...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:46am On Sep 26, 2015
EIGHTH DAY

(Evangelization)

The congregation founded by St. Vincent was not named after a saint but was called the Congregation of the Missions. His experience showed him the need to preach the Good News of salvation to everyone, especially the poor. Reflection questions for your own life By virtue of Baptism we are evangelizers. How do I share the gospel in word and action daily? Are there more ways that I can evangelize? Do I take time to know my faith through faith formation?

Pray the Novena prayer, an Our Father followed by One Hail Mary to honor the Incarnation and One Glory Be to honor the Blessed Trinity.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:50am On Sep 26, 2015
Novena Prayer

poor.
Amen

Day 8

Prayer II

What food is to the body, payer is to the soul. A person who would take only one meal every 3 or 4 days will eventually grow weaker and be in great danger of dying; or if he lived, he’d be weak, incapable of any useful work and devoid of strength and vigor. It’s just the same with someone who never or hardly ever takes the nourishment of prayer. He will become lukewarm, without strength and courage, a trial/temptation to others and himself.

Point of reflection Are you starving your soul ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 8:20am On Sep 26, 2015
Matthew 25:35-40⁠New International Version (NIV)

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

God's judgement is going to be one funny reality and funny realisations taking place. Did I just say judgement will be funny? shocked......well I didn't mean to say it to your hearing lipsrsealed

But yes that is it! We will be judged for things we really can't place on hands on how and when we did or refused to do them.....not just sinners but the righteous too. Imagine in the above verses the sinners knew when they refused Christ food when he was hungry nor did the righteous remember when they fed "a hungry Christ". But then the actually did, for whatsoever we do to least of our brethren, be it good or bad, we do unto Jesus Christ.

I didn't plan to write this, but something about today's novena reflection led to this write up. A question on today's reflection reads thus....How do I share the gospel in WORDS AND ACTIONS daily? This is to say, evangelism is not done by words alone, we can also evangelise through our actions and I asked myself, what action of mine in this past week can I confidently say it is capable of leading someone to Christ? *I can't remember* what about you? Can you remember any?

St Vincent de Paul preached Christ to people in words and actions, just as Christ himself did, we need to emulate him just as he emulated Christ.....St Paul will say, 'imitate me as I imitate Christ.

And on prays today's reflection remind us of what I usually hear Fr Mbaka say "A prayerless child of God is a powerless child of God

Good morning brethren and do have a lovely day ahead smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 1:49pm On Sep 26, 2015
Thumbs up....
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 1:51pm On Sep 26, 2015
Kamsified, Salc, Italo, Syncan and the co-planners.... October devotion is around the corner
Re: A Thread For Catholics by NiceHans: 5:16pm On Sep 26, 2015
... And m honestly looking forward to it
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 10:12pm On Sep 26, 2015
NiceHans:
... And m honestly looking forward to it
You welcome....
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 10:14pm On Sep 26, 2015
Tomorrow marks the end of our novena... And its the day we celebrate the feast of St Vincent de Paul, the patron saint of "The Vincentian family" and that of charity work...

Do something good tomorrow....
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:42am On Sep 27, 2015
NINTH DAY

(Blessed Trinity)

St. Vincent encouraged everyone to honor God – the Holy Trinity. They were to make this alive through prayer and intentional actions toward each person in daily living. Reflection questions for your own life How do I honor God in my life daily? How am I conscious of the pres- ence of the loving God around me? Do I pray everyday? Pray the

Novena prayer, an Our Father followed by One Hail Mary to honor the Incarnation and One Glory Be to honor the Blessed Trinity.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:46am On Sep 27, 2015
Novena Prayer

poor.
Amen

Day 9

Prayer III

Just because we have not carried out what we determined, doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t ever again make decisions or come to God in prayer. When the food we eat doesn’t show obvious results, we still don’t give up eating. For one of the most important parts of prayer is to come closer to God, to good practical decision and table out our heart to God. For this is what shows that we trust in Him and that we are resigned and willing to do his will.

Point of reflection Have you giving up praying
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:50am On Sep 27, 2015
Thank God as we come to the end of this novena, my all our intentions and petitions find favour in God's sight through Christ our Lord.

(1) (2) (3) ... (402) (403) (404) (405) (406) (407) (408) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.