Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,986 members, 7,835,303 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (407) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (520281 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (404) (405) (406) (407) (408) (409) (410) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 5:14pm On Sep 29, 2015
italo:

Thanks bro Syncan. Nice to hear from you.

Allow me to invite our fellow Catholics.

Forgive me...let there be too many mentions...but I don't want anyone to be left out because he/she 'didn't see it.'

Two questions:

Can I moderate?

Why are we calling a 31-day devotion "novena?"

Without undermining SalC, I am sure it will be a pleasure to us that you moderate, God bless you bro.

As per the second question, see this:

"While the word novena comes from the Latin novem, meaning "nine," the term has also come to be used generically to refer to any lengthy series of prayers.
Thus, the Saint Andrew Christmas Novena is recited for more than nine days, between the Feast of St. Andrew (November 30) and Christmas."

http://catholicism.about.com/od/prayers/g/Novena.htm
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 5:17pm On Sep 29, 2015
Kamsified:
@bro Syncan God bless u real good. Very inspiring read

@oga Italo start moderating already biko wink

I chose 31st

Adanne God bless you too, hope you watched the video attached.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 5:19pm On Sep 29, 2015
Nice one... I'm in.... I choose 16th..

A Catholic, I will die smiley kiss

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 5:23pm On Sep 29, 2015
Syncan:

Without undermining SalC, I am sure it will be a pleasure to us that you moderate, God bless you bro.

As per the second question, see this:

"While the word novena comes from the Latin novem, meaning "nine," the term has also come to be used generically to refer to any lengthy series of prayers.
Thus, the Saint Andrew Christmas Novena is recited for more than nine days, between the Feast of St. Andrew (November 30) and Christmas."

http://catholicism.about.com/od/prayers/g/Novena.htm

Thanks for the enlightenment.

I'll start working on moderating immediately.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 6:05pm On Sep 29, 2015
Syncan:

Adanne God bless you too, hope you watched the video attached.
Not yet. I'm in a place where I'm not able to watch at the moment. Will do ASAP
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 6:05pm On Sep 29, 2015
I choose 20th and I hope my goodnews land before, then. grintongue
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 6:06pm On Sep 29, 2015
So far, we have:

15th - Rich4god
23rd - Sal C
26th - MarvellousGod
27th - Syncan
31st - Kamsified

Still waiting on others to choose their dates.

May I suggest that people should also mention their prayer intentions if they wish...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by MariaGoretti: 6:10pm On Sep 29, 2015
I choose 13th
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 6:12pm On Sep 29, 2015
FrancisTony:
I choose 20th and I hope my goodnews land before, then. grintongue

Noted.

May God look favourably on your petition.

However, remember that this devotion is an opportunity to connect ourselves to God via prayer, good works and avoidance of sin. Not just for the month...but forever.

May God give us the grace to seek first the kingdom...and everything else shall be added.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 6:56pm On Sep 29, 2015
While we countdown to the beginning of our Novena, I wish to share a testimony from our May devotion.

I told you that I was travelling to Lagos to meet my girlfriend's mum to ask her hand in marriage. It was one of my intentions that the Lord should grant me favour.

I was well received. The man they swore would resist (on tribal sentiments)...what did he say?

"It's okay...as long as he's a good person. Let's just follow it up with prayer."

We are about to go to marriage class.

Please continue to pray for me.

7 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 7:12pm On Sep 29, 2015
@ Italo , Good to hear.. God makes all things possible. . God that has begun the good work will see it to completion and also grant you a happy home, Amen.

Btw, I chose 16th, not 26th. .

God bless us all...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:38pm On Sep 29, 2015
@italo, thanks for volunteering.

And congrats and God's favour in your marriage stuff.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 8:49pm On Sep 29, 2015
Pls can we set October 1st aside for Nigeria?
And I choose 2nd,for my mum. Thanks.

Happy married life in advance.

italo:
So far, we have:

15th - Rich4god
23rd - Sal C
26th - MarvellousGod
27th - Syncan
31st - Kamsified

May I suggest that people should also mention their prayer intentions if they wish...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 9:01pm On Sep 29, 2015
[quote author=SalC post=38499934][/quote] present Sir
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 9:11pm On Sep 29, 2015
italo:
So far, we have:

15th - Rich4god
23rd - Sal C
26th - MarvellousGod
27th - Syncan
31st - Kamsified

I choose 28th

specially for all Batch B Corp members all over the federation who would be starting their orientation on the 28th October , that God in his infinite Mercy grant us a safe and successful Service year as we serve Him through humanity.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:13pm On Sep 29, 2015
deracathy:

present Sir
That's a reminder that october devotion is around the corner, you can choose a date
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:14pm On Sep 29, 2015
deracathy:

I choose 28th

specially for all Batch B Corp members all over the federation who would be starting their orientation on the 28th October , that God in his infinite Mercy grant us a safe and successful Service year as we serve Him through humanity.

Good!
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 9:21pm On Sep 29, 2015
Kamsified:
@bro Syncan God bless u real good. Very inspiring read

@oga Italo start moderating already biko wink

I chose 31st

Why you wan be last...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 10:04pm On Sep 29, 2015
Updated Novena Schedule:

1st - Nigeria
2nd - Peppyluv02 (for her mum)
13th - MariaGoretti
15th - Rich4god
16th - MarvellousGod
20th - FrancisTony
23rd - Sal C
27th - Syncan
28th - Deracathy (for Batch B corpers' safety and success)
31st - Kamsified
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 10:05pm On Sep 29, 2015
peppyluv02:
Pls can we set October 1st aside for Nigeria?
And I choose 2nd,for my mum. Thanks.

Happy married life in advance.

Thanks.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 10:06pm On Sep 29, 2015
SalC:
@italo, thanks for volunteering.

And congrats and God's favour in your marriage stuff.

Amen. Thanks.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 10:07pm On Sep 29, 2015
MarvellousGod:
@ Italo , Good to hear.. God makes all things possible. . God that has begun the good work will see it to completion and also grant you a happy home, Amen.

Btw, I chose 16th, not 26th. .

God bless us all...

Amen. Thanks.

The correction is noted and effected.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Fembleez1(m): 10:10pm On Sep 29, 2015
Peace be unto this house smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Chy27: 10:20pm On Sep 29, 2015
Please, can I join in the novena?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 11:44pm On Sep 29, 2015
italo:
While we countdown to the beginning of our Novena, I wish to share a testimony from our May devotion.

I told you that I was travelling to Lagos to meet my girlfriend's mum to ask her hand in marriage. It was one of my intentions that the Lord should grant me favour.

I was well received. The man they swore would resist (on tribal sentiments)...what did he say?

"It's okay...as long as he's a good person. Let's just follow it up with prayer."

We are about to go to marriage class.

Please continue to pray for me.

thank God for your success story, I guess we will soon be eating marriage rice and chicken.

If you don't mind my asking what tribe are you abt to marry into.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Aizenosa(m): 12:42am On Sep 30, 2015
The atheist slayer sir why my name nor dey the list, hmm, I pick 21st. Happy independence family
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Aizenosa(m): 12:44am On Sep 30, 2015
Big congrats to Oga Italo, mehn chicken is on the way ooo. Many more and more testimonies shall be urs and ours through Christ our Lord. Amen
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Double27: 7:49am On Sep 30, 2015
Am joining please. I chose 10th
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:55am On Sep 30, 2015
Chy27:
Yeah that was why I mentioned you, just choose a date
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 8:35am On Sep 30, 2015
Today's Gospel LK9:57-62

As Jesus and his disciples were proceeding on their journey, someone said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.” Jesus answered him, “Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head.” And to another he said, “Follow me.” But he replied, “Lord, let me go first and bury my father.” But he answered him, “Let the dead bury their dead. But you, go and proclaim the Kingdom of God.”
And another said, “I will follow you, Lord, but first let me say farewell to my family at home.” Jesus answered him, “No one who sets a hand to the plow and looks to what was left behind is fit for the Kingdom of God
.”

Have you ever had this feeling...like where you say to yourself "Sister ChineloSA is old already that's why she isn't ashamed to put on a scapular, when i get to her age too I'll not care about people looking at me so I can wear". Again, how many of us have had this feeling "Brother Ichiato is already married so he can afford to receive communion regularly, when I get married, nothing will hinder me again from regular communion". Cute1bliss bro, have we never differed a good act for sometime later when it is expected to be convenient to do? Emyben,today Jesus says that now is the time to do it, at whatever state you are right now, you should be at right with God. Stunningjudy, at whatever state you are now, you should do that which is right. Babestell, Each stage has it's own challenges, and for every condition in life, know that there is one(a saint) who must have experienced worse and still overcame, and may stand in judgement against you on that day if you fail to overcome. Pray for courage. Tomorrow we commence our 31days of daily rosary(5 decades/1 chaplet) devotion, what is gonna keep you from joining, When will it be favorable for you to participate? In the first reading, Nehemiah took courage and made his request to the King Neh. 2:1-8, and his request was granted "The king granted my requests,for the favoring hand of my God was upon me." May the favoring hand of our God be upon us all as we receive answers to our petitions.

Good morning brethren, a splendid day ahead to all.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 8:54am On Sep 30, 2015
Sure. It's a family that does not discriminate. You are most welcome.
Chy27:
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 9:11am On Sep 30, 2015
Fembleez1:
Peace be unto this house smiley

Peace be with you bro. Long time.

(1) (2) (3) ... (404) (405) (406) (407) (408) (409) (410) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.