Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? (28837 Views)

You Will Not Know A Salvage Car When You See One. / How To Know A Stolen Car When U See It / My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Btruth: 7:12am On Oct 18, 2013
DICKtator: Jump outta the moving car and roll on the floor!!!

grin grin grin grin

You are indeed a DICKhead!
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by waldigit: 7:17am On Oct 18, 2013
me2me: I personally experienced back right tyre blow out on speed of about 130/140 km some donkey years ago and was able to bring the car to a halt without complications (Thank God). In the event that a front tyre suddenly blows out on top speed (God forbid), what is the best way to handle the situation?

Sir I will like to advise u to adhere to road safety laws on speed limit. Doing btw 130 to 140 on nigerian road is disobidience to God. So all this "thank God" God Forbid things may just amount to hipocrisy whenever it above 100 I can assure you angels are no longer in charge.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by tunde1200(m): 7:27am On Oct 18, 2013
hardbody: The back tyre of my SUV exploded on the last stretch to Agbor from Onitsha, i honestly do not remember how i managed to pull the vehicle over to the extreme right lane (it is a dual carriageway anyways) but one thing is sure, it is so easy to say, do not go near the brakes in the event of a blow out, but sincerely speaking, i do not recall whether i immediately remembered not to match on the brakes or not, i however recall holding firmly onto the steering and after a bitter struggle, manouvered off the road. The most interesting thing to me was that not even vehicles behind me cared to stop, they saw the accident, and simply drove on.

I have since learnt that you are always on your own in matters of life and death. I could not change the spare, so i paid some guys painting the road demarcation to bike into Agbor town, get a vulcanizer who came and changed the spare and i drove on safely into Lagos. To God be the Glory.

In all, I pray it never happens either to me again or to my enemy. I often shudder to think of it happening while descending a hill, crossing all those bridges with no railings, etc

Na God hand we dey sha

You could not change the spare tyre
Really?
I can believe that oooo
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by adorablevincy: 7:54am On Oct 18, 2013

grin grin grin grin
C..o..r..r..e..c..t! Try make it a Hollywood movie. I'm on set with ma video cam. grin

grin grin grin grin
C..o..r..r..e..c..t! Try make it a Hollywood movie. I'm on set with ma video cam.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by dastudent(m): 8:15am On Oct 18, 2013
Always switch off the engine first.Then you can do any other thing.Do not go near your breaks though.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by adanny01(m): 8:27am On Oct 18, 2013
knowledge4: It is madness for anyone to be driving above 80 kms per hour.
At this speed, you can safely bring the car to a halt whatever happens.
Speed kills! Where are you speeding to? To the grave!

Do an experiment for me. Go to Lokoja - Abuja road and drive at 80km/h. You will become an obstruction just like the trucks plying the road. You stand a risk of being hit from behind. You will be over taken from the left and right. You will be cursed at.

Better still find a road that has a history of terrorising armed robbery then run at 80km/h.

You could sleep while driving all day at 80km/h. It is boring at that speed so the tendancy to sleep is higher. Thats the reason why truckers are drug addicts and donot match their brakes for smaller cars coz they are jealous if you.

Dont forget to come back and tell us your story.

1 Like

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 8:32am On Oct 18, 2013
Where the money dey?
Dis Guy:
why not place four 'best' tyres ALL the time
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by 9icetoo(m): 8:42am On Oct 18, 2013
da student: Always switch off the engine first.Then you can do any other thing.Do not go near your breaks though.
Switch off your engine?!!!!!!! Like seriously??!!!!!!!. You know ur steering will lock right? and u r gonna lose your brake and power assist from the engine? Abeg no try am again oo. Odikwa risky.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by 9icetoo(m): 8:49am On Oct 18, 2013
adanny01:

Do an experiment for me. Go to Lokoja - Abuja road and drive at 80km/h. You will become an obstruction just like the trucks plying the road. You stand a risk of being hit from behind. You will be over taken from the left and right. You will be cursed at.

Better still find a road that has a history of terrorising armed robbery then run at 80km/h.

You could sleep while driving all day at 80km/h. It is boring at that speed so the tendancy to sleep is higher. Thats the reason why truckers are drug addicts and donot match their brakes for smaller cars coz they are jealous if you.

Dont forget to come back and tell us your story.
That is if he is alive to tell the story. LWKMD. I can just imagine what those trailers will do to his car. True story: A green mazda 626 was rammed from behind during my last trip to abuja. He was driving too slow. two trailers racing neck and neck to god knows where came up behind him. the road was only wide enough for two cars not to talk of trucks. the trailer on the slow lane horned for the guy but couldnt slow down quickly and rammed him from behind. the poor dude lost control and drove into the bush. you drive slowly on our expressways at your own peril
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by AnanseK(m): 9:25am On Oct 18, 2013
dejavume:
U MUST B A SADDIST!!!!!

Is the double D for emphasis or plain ignorance?
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Trippledots(m): 9:43am On Oct 18, 2013
9icetoo:
That is if he is alive to tell the story. LWKMD. I can just imagine what those trailers will do to his car. True story: A green mazda 626 was rammed from behind during my last trip to abuja. He was driving too slow. two trailers racing neck and neck to god knows where came up behind him. the road was only wide enough for two cars not to talk of trucks. the trailer on the slow lane horned for the guy but couldnt slow down quickly and rammed him from behind. the poor dude lost control and drove into the bush. you drive slowly on our expressways at your own peril

talk about road recklessness at its best.....i tire mehn!
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by bueze046(m): 9:55am On Oct 18, 2013
1st: dont be mind faded,ur mind needs to be so strong.

2nd: and remember dont shout.

3rd: hold your stering very strong,i mean wit your mustle.

4th: wheel ur stering to your rite hand side and then slowly apply ur break!

note: you have to be sure that you are using goods tyres as it kills
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by auhanson(m): 10:04am On Oct 18, 2013
santakris: If you are driving automatic, just shift your gear to neutral (N). And don't panic. Hold on to your steering firmly till the car stop.

Wrong! the car will over-shout and only God knows what could happen to your gearbox
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by auhanson(m): 10:17am On Oct 18, 2013
santakris: If you are driving automatic, just shift your gear to neutral (N). And don't panic. Hold on to your steering firmly till the car stop.

Wrong! the car will over-shout and only God knows what could happen to your gearbox.

It happened to the left passenger front tire of my Benz 190 some years ago, though i was scared of the loud bang and the freaky sound of the tire on the coal tar, i only remove my leg from the accelerator pedal and the car just roll to a halt on its own as i pull over. I didn't struggle with the steering, because it wasn't taking my hand-you know thats is one thing good about M.Benz.

For auto tranny, once you remove your leg from the accelerator, the car will definitely decelerate to almost a halt so the idea of disengaging your auto gear to neutral wouldn't be necessary and is uncalled for.

Note: Then i use to use fairly used tires and when over pumped the pressure inside the tire in the hot afternoon in a highway speed will leave no room for expansion, i never knew anything about tire pressure, anything vulcanizers pumped in there was what i used(your manufacturers recommended tire pressure is very necessary, you must stick to it-its written on you fuel fillap cover)
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by santakris(m): 11:37am On Oct 18, 2013
hardbody:

Do you shift to Neutral without matching on your brake? Just asking
Yes sir. U don't match brake b4 shifting autogear. Except when you want to take off from initial position. I mean when vehicle is in stationary position.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by babseg(m): 1:34pm On Oct 18, 2013
I don't think it's a good idea to have your car gear in neutral when you find yourself in this situation.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by jba203: 1:50pm On Oct 18, 2013
Let loose of everything. Dont brake, clutch or eccelerate. Hold your starring wheel and let the car go where its heading. dont fight it, cos it will fight back.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Infoay: 4:55pm On Oct 18, 2013
Thanks to u all. I learnt from this thread
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Edoblakky(m): 6:24pm On Oct 18, 2013
In the month of May this year, I was travelling from Benin to Lagos in my Toyota Camry when the left rear tire exploded just after Ore. I didn't feel any swerving only heard a noise under my car. I was driving at about 120km/hr because my mum was with me otherwise I normally drive at 140km/hr when the road is very good. I just pulled over, changed the tire and completed my journey. I guess if it was Toyota Tacoma it may have been laborious to steady it.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Thebrightest(m): 9:51pm On Oct 18, 2013
moscobabs: na wa ooo....so any topic can make front page sa!!!
Did u want me to slap you? Which other one is worth front page if not matters like this.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Denc: 7:21am On Oct 19, 2013
Copied from an article I wrote earlier ....

#1: Burst tire (Tire blowout)
To survive a tire blowout, pretend you are the bad guy in a police chase; push the accelerator and drive straight ahead. The gun-blast noise of a tire blowout makes most law-abiding drivers do exactly the wrong thing: attempt to slow down quickly and get off the road. With a rear-tire failure, any turning at high speed will likely result in a crash
If a tire blows:
Step on the accelerator for a couple of seconds. This puts you in control of the car and directs the car straight down the road. It also prevents you from committing the mortal sins of braking and turning. After a couple of seconds, gently and smoothly release the accelerator pedal. The drag force of a completely flat tire is so potent that pushing the gas will not allow the vehicle to go faster
Most importantly, drive straight down your lane. Keep your feet away from the brake (or clutch)
Allow the car to coast down to as slow a speed as is safe (30 miles per hour i.e. about 50km/h is good). Engage your turn signal and gently turn toward the shoulder of the road that's on the same side as the blown tire; this lessens the chance of losing control and will make the tire change safer. If the situation requires, you may ever so lightly squeeze the brakes
Almost all highway blowouts and tread separations occur with the car travelling in a straight line on a very hot day at high speeds with an under-inflated tire. The repeated flexing of an under-inflated tire causes the failure. Check your tire pressures!!

#2: Tread separation
Though the recovery techniques are nearly identical, a tread separation is more dangerous than a blowout. This is where the tread rubber and underlying steel belt partially or completely come off the tire. An impending tread separation is usually announced by a consistent thumping noise which will increase to a slapping sound and then a metal-tearing jackhammer pounding. Sometimes this process takes days, other times only seconds. If you hear this, immediately slow down and take the tire to a professional for inspection. If you can see damage, put on the spare before proceeding
If the tread begins to fly off:
Squeeze the gas pedal for an instant and gently release it
Drive straight down your lane
Allow the car to coast down as much as is safely possible. You will likely have to apply the brakes lightly in order to reach a safe turning speed
Engage your turn signal and smoothly turn toward the shoulder of the road that is on the same side as the damaged tire
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by afrikanns: 8:17am On Oct 19, 2013
. if only you is left even in ur neighborhood, life will be meaningless for ya. you can only understand this if u are the wise one. evil minded soul.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by afrikanns: 8:21am On Oct 19, 2013
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Emekayoung(m): 10:26pm On Oct 26, 2013
Things are easily said but doing it matters alot,nw d question is,wat if u're on a speed range of abt 90kmh and suddenly one of ur tires bursts,and ofcourse u must not touch d brakes which is certain.
So wat can be done incase u're a approaching a round-about or maybe a traffic grid-lock ahead of u?
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Homguy(m): 7:31pm On Dec 12, 2013
Onyenna:

A family I know had an accident last week....their car's front tyre blew and when the driver tried to control the car, it somersaulted several times ...their elder sister died from internal bleeding later in the night....

I have a question though......why do doctors hesitate to give that injection for internal bleeding to accident victims unless they're certain you have internal bleeding?...does the injection have adverse effect if you ain't really bleeding internally?... If I were a doctor, I would give that injection to any accident victim even before scan.....
if that injection is given without any form of bleeding , it increases the chances of having occluded blood vessels or thrombosis due to formation of clots. This in itself maybe fatal if it occurs in certain organs like the heart or brain,or if it is transported to these organs.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Fajzay: 6:52pm On Dec 13, 2013
9icetoo:
Switch off your engine?!!!!!!! Like seriously??!!!!!!!. You know ur steering will lock right? and u r gonna lose your brake and power assist from the engine? Abeg no try am again oo. Odikwa risky.

Never ever switch off ur engine on motion in this situation, are you driving a 1982 model car that doesn't have is steering locked when the engine is off ... All you can do is hold on to your steering firmly, be in full control and do not panick. If you have to reduce the speed ASAP, use your gear. ... downshift gradually and sequentially, that way the engine brakes itself slowly ... Good luck guyz!

1 Like

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by me2me: 10:50pm On Mar 08, 2016
Decided to dig up this informative thread in view of the recent tire blow out accident(s) on our highways.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Traffic Road Signs / What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? / 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.