Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? (28865 Views)

You Will Not Know A Salvage Car When You See One. / How To Know A Stolen Car When U See It / My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 17, 2013
DICKtator: Jump outta of the moving car and roll on the floor!!!

grin grin grin grin
Noooooo angry
I prefer James Bond style.
Just press the 'fly button', ur car wld jst release it hidden wings and glide thru the air.
Roll ko! somersault ni!
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Oct 17, 2013
Experienced this once, the bolded was what saved my life, otherwise I do be dead by now.

lomomike: Composure is the key here. Knowing you have had a blown up tyre yet trying to stay calm while bringing the car to a controlled stop is very very important. DON'T go any where near your BRAKES and DONT suddenly turn your STEERING WHEEL
eli

My composure was not delibrate though, when the car came to a still, I wondered how I was able to be so composed, taught me alot about the things I do not know about myself.

NB

As an aside, it is very important to learn and master the art of self control in our daily lives; you never know where and when it will come in handy.

5 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by crackhaus: 3:08pm On Oct 17, 2013
Do tubeless tyres still experience waving, weight shift, and brake-induced accidents when they burst
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by zomby(m): 3:11pm On Oct 17, 2013
Don't f0ol yourselves, there is no written method on how one can control a car when front tire blows out on high speed

The simple advise is to get quality tires and make sure your front tires are in good condition at all time.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Miner13: 3:15pm On Oct 17, 2013
lomomike: Composure is the key here. Knowing you have had a blown up tyre yet trying to stay calm while bringing the car to a controlled stop is very very important. When running on high speed and a tyre suddenly blows out, DON'T go any where near your BRAKES and DONT suddenly turn your STEERING WHEEL out of tension or fear. Most people will suddenly slam on their brakes (when a tyre burst, all the weight of the car shifts to that burst thus the car will tend to dive or dip in that direction plus the inertia might forcefully steer the car towards or away that burst tyre violently; slamming on the brakes or suddenly turning the steering wheel Will result to a total loss of traction on one or more tyres, or violent sudden shift in car weight and this could result in loss of control or roll over or a somersault, or violent careering of such car suddenly off the road ultimatly leading to a crash) immediately you experience a burst tyre, that brake should not be touched. Grip the steering wheel firmly and gradually bring the car to your intended direction (on a straight line), gradually take your legs off the accelerator pedal. Keep holding the steering and guiding the direction of the car till it slows down very well then you can finally pull over to the shoulder of the road and stop.

Please at all times ensure you stick to your vehicle manufacturer's recommended tyre specification. Also don't run too fast on roads that you aren't sure of. Maintain equal tyre brands, type and rating on all wheels, plus don't over or under pump your tyres and finally don't use bad, expired or substandard or worn out tyres.
i pray nigerians stick 2 dis simple nd comprehensive rules in drivin nd drop i sha bi pas my neigbour habit
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by clemz85(m): 3:15pm On Oct 17, 2013
quiet informative, but then i can't just stand the people that whine how such topic made front page, is that a kind of jealous?

is waa o!!!!

thanks op
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Mesut11: 3:15pm On Oct 17, 2013
DICKtator: Jump outta the moving car and roll on the floor!!!

grin grin grin grin

you don over watch American film grin grin
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by benabol: 3:16pm On Oct 17, 2013
the information is educative. Thanks
God will continue to protect us...
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by TayoT: 3:17pm On Oct 17, 2013
lomomike: Composure is the key here. Knowing you have had a blown up tyre yet trying to stay calm while bringing the car to a controlled stop is very very important. When running on high speed and a tyre suddenly blows out, DON'T go any where near your BRAKES and DONT suddenly turn your STEERING WHEEL out of tension or fear. Most people will suddenly slam on their brakes (when a tyre burst, all the weight of the car shifts to that burst thus the car will tend to dive or dip in that direction plus the inertia might forcefully steer the car towards or away that burst tyre violently; slamming on the brakes or suddenly turning the steering wheel Will result to a total loss of traction on one or more tyres, or violent sudden shift in car weight and this could result in loss of control or roll over or a somersault, or violent careering of such car suddenly off the road ultimatly leading to a crash) immediately you experience a burst tyre, that brake should not be touched. Grip the steering wheel firmly and gradually bring the car to your intended direction (on a straight line), gradually take your legs off the accelerator pedal. Keep holding the steering and guiding the direction of the car till it slows down very well then you can finally pull over to the shoulder of the road and stop.

Please at all times ensure you stick to your vehicle manufacturer's recommended tyre specification. Also don't run too fast on roads that you aren't sure of. Maintain equal tyre brands, type and rating on all wheels, plus don't over or under pump your tyres and finally don't use bad, expired or substandard or worn out tyres.

All said. In addition, leave your car in gear as it will prevent the car from rolling freely and with your legs off the throttle it willl help bring the car to a halt faster.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by clemz85(m): 3:19pm On Oct 17, 2013
zomby: Don't f0ol yourselves, there is no written method on how one can control a car when front tire blows out on high speed

The simple advise is to get quality tires and make sure your front tires are in good condition at all time.

have you even or ever ply high way once? please is not by just quality rubbers, some nigeria high way beats that ok
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by TayoT: 3:19pm On Oct 17, 2013
zomby: Don't f0ol yourselves, there is no written method on how one can control a car when front tire blows out on high speed

Who is fooling who? Ignoramus homo sapien

1 Like

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by phobia147(m): 3:19pm On Oct 17, 2013
ku ku ma close ur eyes nd pray 4 forgiveness undecided
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by lamba3: 3:22pm On Oct 17, 2013
Reminds me of a time i went to Kano in some commercial Golf about a year ago, both front tyres blew up.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by clemz85(m): 3:23pm On Oct 17, 2013
moscobabs: na wa ooo....so any topic can make front page sa!!!

lf you don't own a mob so you don't travel by one too?
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Aliru: 3:25pm On Oct 17, 2013
When the front tyre blows out on high speed you have to be calm and take your leg off accelerator, hold your steering firmly to halt safely. Don't apply break immediately for fear of vehicle somersault.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Burger01(m): 3:28pm On Oct 17, 2013
As for me I would shout Jesus! and concentrate on taking control of the steering wheel firmly and steadily. I would NOT apply the brake until at a speed less than 10mph.

It happened to me years ago when I busted a rear tyre on top speed of 100mph. It was a benz c220 and surprisingly I was able to control the car effortlessly and never matched on the brake. That was a close shave for me. Since then na 50-60mph. Life no get part two..

1 Like

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by IYANGBALI: 3:30pm On Oct 17, 2013
you accelerate more now,that is you fire the engine grin grin grin grin
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by zomby(m): 3:35pm On Oct 17, 2013
In the first place, it makes no sense to be going on high speed if the roads are not in good condition.

90% of tire blow-out accident in Nigeria are caused simply because of cheap Tokunbo tires and senseless drivers.

Get yourself quality tires, maintain them and use your common sense when you're driving on Nigerian bad roads.

You will save your life if you stick to my advise.

A smart driver knows that there is no written method on how one can control a car when front tire blows out on high speed
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by kritzmoritz(m): 3:36pm On Oct 17, 2013
But I have to ask, what would you be doing at speeds of about 130km/hr on Nigerian roads. Do you not read sign or understand basic traffic rules?

1 Like

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by princeonx: 3:43pm On Oct 17, 2013
You don't! God does! Except if u're not really speeding.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Emekayoung(m): 3:58pm On Oct 17, 2013

Wat if someone removes his/her legs frm d brake pedal on high speed wen the tyre bursts and immediately u meet a serious traffic gridlock ahead,wats the best advice?

2 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by FKseun(m): 4:04pm On Oct 17, 2013
Also pray that the road isn't busy when the tire blow-out happens! If it is, no amount of calmness or composure will save you except God's intervention!
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by hammedkola(m): 4:05pm On Oct 17, 2013
DICKtator: Jump outta the moving car and roll on the floor!!!

grin grin grin grin

You watch too much of American action movies

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by ihimami: 4:06pm On Oct 17, 2013
It is because of this kind of situation that I like my Audi A6 brands and my previous 2003 VW Passat. I have had a lot of experiences of tire burst on top speeds without my heart jumping out. In 2010 I recommended and help my friend bought 2003 VW Passat and they have cause to thank God for saving their life because as he was travelling to KD from Abuja in his Passat at a speed of 170k/h, when suddenly he said he heard a noise like as if the tire pick something. By the time he stop the car and came down he discovered it was the front tire that had busted, in fact, he called me immediately to thank me for recommending the car to him. Most Nigerians shy away from these German models because of supposed high maintenance cost in favour of Japanese models which has less safety features. To me safety comes first before any consideration for cost of maintenance.

1 Like

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Cuzz: 4:12pm On Oct 17, 2013
ihimami: It is because of this kind of situation that I like my Audi A6 brands and my previous 2003 VW Passat. I have had a lot of experiences of tire burst on top speeds without my heart jumping out. In 2010 I recommended and help my friend bought 2003 VW Passat and they have cause to thank God for saving their life because as he was travelling to KD from Abuja in his Passat at a speed of 170k/h, when suddenly he said he heard a noise like as if the tire pick something. By the time he stop the car and came down he discovered it was the front tire that had busted, in fact, he called me immediately to thank me for recommending the car to him. Most Nigerians shy away from these German models because of supposed high maintenance cost in favour of Japanese models which has less safety features. To me safety comes first before any consideration for cost of maintenance.
advice that to ur fellow folks who drives at that top speed in nigerian roads.

1 Like

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by mrofficial(m): 4:13pm On Oct 17, 2013
I lost a back tire few days ago, I just applied little brake gently and stopped at a layby. In a situation whereby you may need to halt the movement of the car if the front tire blew out, apply the brake with sense. The road is not always free when this happens, so if you let the car have free movement, it may lead to similar damage. Experience in driving matters too.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by eaglechild: 4:16pm On Oct 17, 2013
ihimami: It is because of this kind of situation that I like my Audi A6 brands and my previous 2003 VW Passat. I have had a lot of experiences of tire burst on top speeds without my heart jumping out. In 2010 I recommended and help my friend bought 2003 VW Passat and they have cause to thank God for saving their life because as he was travelling to KD from Abuja in his Passat at a speed of 170k/h, when suddenly he said he heard a noise like as if the tire pick something. By the time he stop the car and came down he discovered it was the front tire that had busted, in fact, he called me immediately to thank me for recommending the car to him. Most Nigerians shy away from these German models because of supposed high maintenance cost in favour of Japanese models which has less safety features. To me safety comes first before any consideration for cost of maintenance.
Burst tire at 170km/hr shocked shocked
I hope you know that car is front wheel drive
Looks like you have more of it to sell undecided

2 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by desgiezd(m): 4:17pm On Oct 17, 2013
Emekayoung:
Wat if someone removes his/her legs frm d brake pedal on high speed wen the tyre bursts and immediately u meet a serious traffic gridlock ahead,wats the best advice?

While Lomomike has said it all, let me say this in response to your additional poser:

If you meet a serious traffic, try and gradually steer away the car to the sidelines so that it doesnt run into the cars at the front. It is still seriously advisable to steer clear from the brake pedals.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Davidolives(m): 4:27pm On Oct 17, 2013
moscobabs: na wa ooo....so any topic can make front page sa!!!
what do u know i guess u must b a teenager who has neva touched a car(driving) we r talking abt life and death u r sayin front page smh
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Koolmexxi(m): 4:27pm On Oct 17, 2013
It's all so easy to say.... It all boils down to instincts at dat very moment because noone prays for or expects it.. All d scenarios assumes u r alone on d road knowing dat is barely possible. Anyway I believe d first shld b DO NOT PANIC...
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by kingschild123(m): 4:31pm On Oct 17, 2013
Some scenarios:
1) What happens if you front left tire
blows out?
2) What happens if your front right tire
blows out?
3) What happens if your back left tire
blows out?
4) What happens if your back right tire
blows out?
5) What happens if your car is front
wheel drive, back wheel drive, all
wheel drive?
Now braking upon tire blow out is out
of the question because you will
gradually lose this centripetal force.
When a tire blows out, the weight of
the car will shift and will experience a
new and stronger force than the
centripetal force which causes the car to
lose balance, turn over, or spin out of
control.
For those scenarios above, should I
accelerate or only let go of the gas
pedal? My thinking is that I should
accelerate so that the centripetal force
will be stronger than any other force
acting on the car. Thus, it keeps the car
in balance instead of going out of
control.
Additional Details
The car will naturally experience more
friction and causes it to lose speed, at
which point the force of car weight
shifting might be stronger than the
centripetal force, which is extremely
dangerous. This is dead or alive situation. By the way, what I mean by accelerating is to accelerate enough to keep the car at the constant speed at 70mph, not over it. Once you have control of the car, you can gradually let it roll to a stop.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Traffic Road Signs / 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal / What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.