Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,771 members, 7,955,944 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:19 PM

How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? (29094 Views)

You Will Not Know A Salvage Car When You See One. / How To Know A Stolen Car When U See It / My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by narmani: 6:46pm On Oct 17, 2013
lomomike: Composure is the key here. Knowing you have had a blown up tyre yet trying to stay calm while bringing the car to a controlled stop is very very important. When running on high speed and a tyre suddenly blows out, DON'T go any where near your BRAKES and DONT suddenly turn your STEERING WHEEL out of tension or fear. Most people will suddenly slam on their brakes (when a tyre burst, all the weight of the car shifts to that burst thus the car will tend to dive or dip in that direction plus the inertia might forcefully steer the car towards or away that burst tyre violently; slamming on the brakes or suddenly turning the steering wheel Will result to a total loss of traction on one or more tyres, or violent sudden shift in car weight and this could result in loss of control or roll over or a somersault, or violent careering of such car suddenly off the road ultimatly leading to a crash) immediately you experience a burst tyre, that brake should not be touched. Grip the steering wheel firmly and gradually bring the car to your intended direction (on a straight line), gradually take your legs off the accelerator pedal. Keep holding the steering and guiding the direction of the car till it slows down very well then you can finally pull over to the shoulder of the road and stop.

Please at all times ensure you stick to your vehicle manufacturer's recommended tyre specification. Also don't run too fast on roads that you aren't sure of. Maintain equal tyre brands, type and rating on all wheels, plus don't over or under pump your tyres and finally don't use bad, expired or substandard or worn out tyres.
what if it's a bike?
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by jalli18(m): 6:53pm On Oct 17, 2013
lomomike: Composure is the key here. Knowing you have had a blown up tyre yet trying to stay calm while bringing the car to a controlled stop is very very important. When running on high speed and a tyre suddenly blows out, DON'T go any where near your BRAKES and DONT suddenly turn your STEERING WHEEL out of tension or fear. Most people will suddenly slam on their brakes (when a tyre burst, all the weight of the car shifts to that burst thus the car will tend to dive or dip in that direction plus the inertia might forcefully steer the car towards or away that burst tyre violently; slamming on the brakes or suddenly turning the steering wheel Will result to a total loss of traction on one or more tyres, or violent sudden shift in car weight and this could result in loss of control or roll over or a somersault, or violent careering of such car suddenly off the road ultimatly leading to a crash) immediately you experience a burst tyre, that brake should not be touched. Grip the steering wheel firmly and gradually bring the car to your intended direction (on a straight line), gradually take your legs off the accelerator pedal. Keep holding the steering and guiding the direction of the car till it slows down very well then you can finally pull over to the shoulder of the road and stop.

Please at all times ensure you stick to your vehicle manufacturer's recommended tyre specification. Also don't run too fast on roads that you aren't sure of. Maintain equal tyre brands, type and rating on all wheels, plus don't over or under pump your tyres and finally don't use bad, expired or substandard or worn out tyres.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by strangest(m): 7:03pm On Oct 17, 2013

nice one... Prayers makes it complete
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Dovahkiin(m): 7:04pm On Oct 17, 2013
ive imagined this scenario in my mind an d in my mind the solution was to slowly brake and then use the hand brake to drift to a halt smiley , glad i saw this thread
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by crackhaus: 7:10pm On Oct 17, 2013
hardbody:

Are tubes still on sale? I thought all cars in this era were tubeless and all the discussions are based on tubeless tyres. Which era are you living? Pre-Christ?
angry
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Oct 17, 2013
One of the first thing I do to my vehicles is install lower profile tires.

More wheel, less tire = less roling difference in case of a sudden low air situation.

1 Like

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by IYANGBALI: 7:23pm On Oct 17, 2013

I hope I won't forget all this till I buy my car
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by babestell(f): 7:25pm On Oct 17, 2013
Am a bit confused What I understand from all these is not do anything and let the car come to a stop but if on a busy road try and avoid traffic.
Am I correct?
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Oct 17, 2013
This thread reminds me of an incident that happened years ago. I was in a vehicle where the front tire burst n the driver made the mistake of hitting the brakes. He lost control of the car and it ran into a parked trailer. Thanks to this thread I now know the reason why he couldn't bring the car to a stop.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by misterjosh(m): 7:42pm On Oct 17, 2013
Close ur eyes nd say a quick prayer, let God handle d rest
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by holarmideh(m): 7:59pm On Oct 17, 2013
DICKtator: Jump outta the moving car and roll on the floor!!!

grin grin grin grin

Loooooooool. Yur crazy niggi
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Borokinim(m): 8:30pm On Oct 17, 2013
Thank You.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by dallyemmy: 8:48pm On Oct 17, 2013
What I tried to programme into my sub-conscious mind - DO NOT USE THE BREAK IF ANY TYRE BURST OUT!!!
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by auskenfine(m): 8:51pm On Oct 17, 2013
Talking from experience; mine was mild cos I wasn't on top speed. However my instincts spoke to me before it happened. So I just slowed down and it happened. So please always drive with rapt attention and be sensitive too. It saves life.

Back to the topic- a car that got burst tyre(s) is on its own. You have little or nothing to do at that moment because it heads downward immediately. So just be calm and role your steering towards the opposite hand (My left front tyre pulled off, so I wheeled right) it creates balance.

Drive safely please. Don't text and drive and don't drink and drive. Drive with your senses and calculate right. The best driver is a very good tactician. Don't claim right, driver your own and drive the other person's car at the same time because there will always be mad people to involve you innocently in an accident. Just be alert at all times.

To those who don't own a car yet, pray and wait; one is reaching you this year. Say Amen!
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Oct 17, 2013
moscobabs: na wa ooo....so any topic can make front page sa!!!
does dis look like any topic? ,u better learn.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by patrkq(m): 9:14pm On Oct 17, 2013

pls is dis sienna
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by WudBMother: 9:15pm On Oct 17, 2013
In addition to Lomomike advice, if it's a MT car use your clutch and gear to gradually reduce your speed and bring the car to a halt.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by OdionOdion: 9:27pm On Oct 17, 2013
kolawaxxy: In addition to lolomike's advice, don't begin to shout "Jesus! Jesus!" as it could result to heart-attack. Have control of the car then you can thank God later. 8-)
At the mention of the NAME of JESUS every situation will become calm
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Oct 17, 2013
cne010: I survived mine miraculosy. I breaked slowly and parked. Wow didn't know breaking was such a bad idea.

Thank God.

i did brake by tapping slightly and severally before parking. Composure is key.

You can keeping moving without tapping the brakes and run into another car. Has happened twice to me. God saved me all but i tapped the brakes gently...
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Oct 17, 2013
patrkq: pls is dis sienna
this is Lomomike and not Siena.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by RoadLord: 10:04pm On Oct 17, 2013
Prevention is better than cure.

Do not overspeed. Cars- brakes, steering are easier to control when the car is at a reasonable speed.

Anything can happen, stay within your control.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by narmani: 10:44pm On Oct 17, 2013
crackhaus:
Thanks! But do tubeless tyres also burst or do they just puncture and rapidly loose air pressure?
what if its a bike?
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by adisa204(m): 11:04pm On Oct 17, 2013
Jelo4kul: You asked ur own question,,oya is time 4 me to ask mine. How dis one take make frontpage abeg?
because o make sense die!like you ever knew anything about this before.its very informative and useful to everyone.even those that have not started driving can make use of this case they are in a car that is caught up in this situation.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Oct 17, 2013
Onyenna:

A family I know had an accident last week....their car's front tyre blew and when the driver tried to control the car, it somersaulted several times ...their elder sister died from internal bleeding later in the night....

I have a question though......why do doctors hesitate to give that injection for internal bleeding to accident victims unless they're certain you have internal bleeding?...does the injection have adverse effect if you ain't really bleeding internally?... If I were a doctor, I would give that injection to any accident victim even before scan.....

Sorry about your neighbors loss...
However there is no injection for internal bleeding. Internal bleeding is identified by increasing paleness (pallor) increasing pulse rate and reduced BP without any visible bleeding source. The treatment usually involves surgery to identify the bleeding point which is usually in the abdomen ( a ruptured spleen or liver or abdominal aorta).
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by VMLTDSMS(m): 12:33am On Oct 18, 2013
NIGERIANS are the most risk takers,White will condem a tyre and we see it as NEW to use which definitely endanger our lives...HOW MANY WHITEMAN car has BLOWN off his tyre on the speed lane,certain NONE because they usually go for CHECK and once nor¡t good,the system will reject it.

Ours,the Road Safety would won you of our bad tyre but we decide to manage it to risk our lives.Anyway courage is the key if such danger is encountered,dont stop suddenly and do not drag your steering,just be confident of yourself to control the car,dont off the engine otherwise the steering would lock which is more dangerous.

I think the best to do is to free the gear to neutral,maybe by holding the clutch pedal hence you are already on the speedlane,the speed will reduce hence you do not press the accelerator pedal and when the speed reduce,you can return the gear or remove your leg from the clutch pedal to draw back the speed to stop then you can slowly apply break.

BUT if you are using automatic system,return the gear to neutral until you control it with confidence,do not break otherwise tumble would be experienced
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 12:38am On Oct 18, 2013
cne010: I survived mine miraculosy. I breaked slowly and parked. Wow didn't know breaking was such a bad idea.

Thank God.
you were not on a high speed I guess... thank God for you sha
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 2:05am On Oct 18, 2013
Thank God oh. It is also advisable to carry a spare and all the tools you need cos my brother nobody would stop to help. Also the "caution" sign also came in handy make car no ram you from back.

Lasty I would advise you learn how to change your tyre cos the highway experience is not so cool cos the wheel would be so hot.

Horladortune: you were not on a high speed I guess... thank God for you sha
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by princessayesha(f): 3:38am On Oct 18, 2013
Erm........say ur last prayer and wait, cox thas what killed my puppy.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by knowledge4(m): 6:06am On Oct 18, 2013
It is madness for anyone to be driving above 80 kms per hour.
At this speed, you can safely bring the car to a halt whatever happens.
Speed kills! Where are you speeding to? To the grave!
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 6:48am On Oct 18, 2013
knowledge4: It is madness for anyone to be driving above 80 kms per hour.
At this speed, you can safely bring the car to a halt whatever happens.
Speed kills! Where are you speeding to? To the grave!

Why don't you drive from Port Harcourt to Sokoto in your car at 80KM/H or from Lagos to Adamawa at that speed. FRSC pegged the speed at 100KM/H and you wanna peg it at 80KM/H. Do you care about your safety? have you thought about highway robbers using cars to chase drivers? Bro, most probably, you haven't travelled with your car on a long journey(I doubt if you have any). You don't know how dangerous Nigerian roads are in day time not to talk of drivin 80KM/H and dusk sets in while you are still on that desolate dangerous road, you will never say 80KM/H.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Top 10 Concept Cars Of 2017 (Photos) / Misuse Of Power By Some Vehicle Insurance Officers. / 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.