Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,722 members, 7,820,508 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? (28852 Views)

You Will Not Know A Salvage Car When You See One. / How To Know A Stolen Car When U See It / My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Oct 17, 2013
Haven't experienced such, and I pray I won't. Normally, I don't step on the brake directly when driving at a speed higher than 80km/hr. I'll step on the clutch as if I am about to change the gear, then the brake gradually.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by DoffMan2: 4:33pm On Oct 17, 2013
lomomike: Composure is the key here. Knowing you have had a blown up tyre yet trying to stay calm while bringing the car to a controlled stop is very very important. When running on high speed and a tyre suddenly blows out, DON'T go any where near your BRAKES and DONT suddenly turn your STEERING WHEEL out of tension or fear. Most people will suddenly slam on their brakes (when a tyre burst, all the weight of the car shifts to that burst thus the car will tend to dive or dip in that direction plus the inertia might forcefully steer the car towards or away that burst tyre violently; slamming on the brakes or suddenly turning the steering wheel Will result to a total loss of traction on one or more tyres, or violent sudden shift in car weight and this could result in loss of control or roll over or a somersault, or violent careering of such car suddenly off the road ultimatly leading to a crash) immediately you experience a burst tyre, that brake should not be touched. Grip the steering wheel firmly and gradually bring the car to your intended direction (on a straight line), gradually take your legs off the accelerator pedal. Keep holding the steering and guiding the direction of the car till it slows down very well then you can finally pull over to the shoulder of the road and stop.

Please at all times ensure you stick to your vehicle manufacturer's recommended tyre specification. Also don't run too fast on roads that you aren't sure of. Maintain equal tyre brands, type and rating on all wheels, plus don't over or under pump your tyres and finally don't use bad, expired or substandard or worn out tyres.

All this one na story.

It depends on what speed you are doing. If are doing less than 40mph, then the above MAY apply. If you are doing motorway speeds, greater than 70mph, then its a different story. I was a front seat passenger of a car that had a sudden front tyre blow out doing about 70-80mph. From the time we heard the loud bang to when the car came to rest lasted about 10 secs. TEN people standing by the road were affected. SIX died on the scene while THREE died in the hospital later. A baby who was being carried on her mother's back survived.

It was carnage and it took me a long time to get over it.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by mecussey(m): 4:36pm On Oct 17, 2013
lomomike: Composure is the key here. Knowing you have had a blown up tyre yet trying to stay calm while bringing the car to a controlled stop is very very important. When running on high speed and a tyre suddenly blows out, DON'T go any where near your BRAKES and DONT suddenly turn your STEERING WHEEL out of tension or fear. Most people will suddenly slam on their brakes (when a tyre burst, all the weight of the car shifts to that burst thus the car will tend to dive or dip in that direction plus the inertia might forcefully steer the car towards or away that burst tyre violently; slamming on the brakes or suddenly turning the steering wheel Will result to a total loss of traction on one or more tyres, or violent sudden shift in car weight and this could result in loss of control or roll over or a somersault, or violent careering of such car suddenly off the road ultimatly leading to a crash) immediately you experience a burst tyre, that brake should not be touched. Grip the steering wheel firmly and gradually bring the car to your intended direction (on a straight line), gradually take your legs off the accelerator pedal. Keep holding the steering and guiding the direction of the car till it slows down very well then you can finally pull over to the shoulder of the road and stop.

Please at all times ensure you stick to your vehicle manufacturer's recommended tyre specification. Also don't run too fast on roads that you aren't sure of. Maintain equal tyre brands, type and rating on all wheels, plus don't over or under pump your tyres and finally don't use bad, expired or substandard or worn out tyres.

You see this is why Physics have to be a mandatory course. Someone who read physics up and down should know this. If you check the momentum and kinetic energy automatically, you will know how to handle the force (MA) mass x acceleration and also fear (F).
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Conceptz(m): 4:43pm On Oct 17, 2013

Please at all times ensure you stick to your vehicle manufacturer's recommended tyre specification. Also don't run too fast on roads that you aren't sure of. Maintain equal tyre brands, type and rating on all wheels, plus don't over or under pump your tyres and finally don't use bad,
expired or substandard or worn out tyres.
Thank u oooo
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by santakris(m): 4:44pm On Oct 17, 2013
If you are driving automatic, just shift your gear to neutral (N). And don't panic. Hold on to your steering firmly till the car stop.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Conceptz(m): 4:45pm On Oct 17, 2013
Keep shouting God's name. Only HIM can save
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Holiday0299(m): 4:50pm On Oct 17, 2013
what if you suddenly approach a check point or other similar obstacles like pot-holes? is it OK to dive off the road?
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Oct 17, 2013
mykhel995:

You're such a bitter individual. Pray to God for a car and stop coming online with your bitterness.
Nice answer
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by crackhaus: 4:54pm On Oct 17, 2013
Nobody has answered my question...What happens when you use tubeless tyres? angry
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by babseg(m): 4:57pm On Oct 17, 2013
santakris: If you are driving automatic, just shift your gear to neutral (N). And don't panic. Hold on to your steering firmly till the car stop.

This is a bad idea shocked
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by crackhaus: 4:58pm On Oct 17, 2013
santakris: If you are driving automatic, just shift your gear to neutral (N). And don't panic. Hold on to your steering firmly till the car stop.
Is it not brake you use to change automatic transmission? No thank you! angry
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Onyenna(m): 4:59pm On Oct 17, 2013

A family I know had an accident last week....their car's front tyre blew and when the driver tried to control the car, it somersaulted several times ...their elder sister died from internal bleeding later in the night....

I have a question though......why do doctors hesitate to give that injection for internal bleeding to accident victims unless they're certain you have internal bleeding?...does the injection have adverse effect if you ain't really bleeding internally?... If I were a doctor, I would give that injection to any accident victim even before scan.....
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by jude33084(m): 5:02pm On Oct 17, 2013
if you are in such ugly situation; don't apply your break at once wink

feel the car and do almost opposite of the car's action meaning; if the car takes you right turn the steering left gently and right again. smiley

and

Please Don't panic cool
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Oct 17, 2013
same applies here

crackhaus: Nobody has answered my question...What happens when you use tubeless tyres? angry
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Oct 17, 2013
How about a simple advise like : DO NOT DRIVE ABOVE 80MPH EXCEPT SPECIFIED BY LAW?

2 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Burger01(m): 5:11pm On Oct 17, 2013
crackhaus:
Is it not brake you use to change automatic transmission? No thank you! angry

Though it's a bad idea but you don't use brake to shift to neutral from drive. Shifting to neutral from drive at high speed with sudden busted tyre is like coasting the car home to wreckage. What I would suggest is to engage the O/D and let the car reduce speed to a manageable speed..

Abeg don't try shifting to neutral from drive at high speed with busted tyre.

1 Like

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Oct 17, 2013
Just force the gear to gear one in manuAl and park or neutral in automatic, say your last prayer and hope for d best. shikenah
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by alienvirus: 5:18pm On Oct 17, 2013
If na rear tyre nko
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by adanny01(m): 5:19pm On Oct 17, 2013
Dis Guy:

why not place four 'best' tyres ALL the time

If i can afford to change all my tyres at once, i will.

Front tyres wear faster than rear tyres. It is natural that you will need to swap the tyres at a point. Some will have had puctures or worn unevenly because of allignment issues and other reasons. When swapping, you place the best tyre among the lot at the front driver's side. Also if u are buying 2 tyres they must be in the front. I never buy 1 tyre. Its 2 or 4.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by crackhaus: 5:26pm On Oct 17, 2013
smartchoice: same applies here

Thanks! But do tubeless tyres also burst or do they just puncture and rapidly loose air pressure?
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Tapout(m): 5:28pm On Oct 17, 2013
I think when it happens u just go to google and type "how does one control a car when the front tyre blows out on high speed" undecided.....
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Tyche(m): 5:34pm On Oct 17, 2013
Billyonaire: How about a simple advise like : DO NOT DRIVE ABOVE 80MPH EXCEPT SPECIFIED BY LAW?

How do you do that?
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by hardbody: 6:06pm On Oct 17, 2013
kritzmoritz: But I have to ask, what would you be doing at speeds of about 130km/hr on Nigerian roads. Do you not read sign or understand basic traffic rules?

Bros, I do minimum 160km/h between Okada and Benin by pass and maintain that speed till i get to Agbor. Its a better risk than being kidnapped. I am not joking here, believe me
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by hardbody: 6:07pm On Oct 17, 2013
Phder: Haven't experienced such, and I pray I won't. Normally, I don't step on the brake directly when driving at a speed higher than 80km/hr. I'll step on the clutch as if I am about to change the gear, then the brake gradually.

So you still do manual? Bros, u be stone age man?
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by ogtavia(m): 6:10pm On Oct 17, 2013
No 1...have a healthy maintenance ethics...dnt go driving on top speed when u know ur tires arent in good form...buy quality tyres,dnt go for cheaper yet less durable tyres...if ur tyres arent good dnt drive fast...understand ur car,know when its wobbling or giving out any strange noise..u'll feel it on d steering wheel...dts why i love some cars,d BMW is actually known for this...gives out warning signals as regards ur tyre condition...check ur tyre pressure level from time to time...make sure it isnt underfilled or overfilled...

having satisfied all d above,if u still xperience a blow out...be calm...yes i know,its always d last thing to ever come to ur mind...but dnt panic,cos when u do,u'll lose control..been driving for 8 years now or so and i avnr xperienced one and i dnt pray to ever...
But in all u do..dnt go down on d brakes,tho depending on d side u had d blow out...remove ur legs from d pedals...make sure ur hand is steady on d wheels if nt u will lose control cos at this stage ur car isnt balanced try to steer a bit away from d side where u had the blow out,dnt depress d brake pedals for any reason and keep looking for a safe place around to stop...if u are an xpert at driving(nt automatic transmission)..pro drivers drive manual transmission..try d handrake turn(ur very last of d last of lastest option)..cos if ur suspension is bad,u're in bigger soup...keep ur legs of d pedals and most importantly...PRAY to GOD ALMIGHTY to save you,..he hears and will come to ur aid...drive safe everyone..its d ember mnths..dnt wanna lose any nairaland brother or sister,,
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by hardbody: 6:10pm On Oct 17, 2013

Do you shift to Neutral without matching on your brake? Just asking
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by victorious1986: 6:11pm On Oct 17, 2013
COMPOSURE is key here. This might be hard but its acheivable. Also the kind of car matters(auto or manual)
AUTO
1 Never swerve to d right or left cos this will bring u closer to death than espected.
2 Release the accelerator pedal gently. This will enable the car engage slower gears and slow u down. ALL THE WHILE AVOID TOUCHING THE BREAKs!
3 This plus intervention from above should save u
MANUAL
1 Dont move the steering wheel
2 Press down the clutch pedal. this will free the car and give u total control
3 Shift the gear stick to the previous position and release the clutch gradually. this would bring u to a stop. NB: No Breaks Initially
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by hardbody: 6:11pm On Oct 17, 2013
Conceptz: Keep shouting God's name. Only HIM can save

And you believe He gave you brains (if you have one) for what purpose? Dummilicious DOLT
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by hardbody: 6:13pm On Oct 17, 2013
crackhaus: Nobody has answered my question...What happens when you use tubeless tyres? angry

Are tubes still on sale? I thought all cars in this era were tubeless and all the discussions are based on tubeless tyres. Which era are you living? Pre-Christ?
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Oct 17, 2013
hardbody:

So you still do manual? Bros, u be stone age man?
Well, the car na 20 (ogun) my dad got a new one so I gEt to manage the '98 Nissan Primera (competence).
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by GOFON(m): 6:24pm On Oct 17, 2013
The Tips below might help too:

How to Handle a Tyre Burst

There isn't a doubt that a tire blowout ranks the highest on any highway driver’s list of fears. With good reason, as a tire burst could lead to a complete loss of car control. With SUVs and MUVs, there is the possibility of a flip-over, too. A blowout is dangerous no matter how good a driver you are or how safe your car is.

The good news is, with tire technology continually improving, blowouts are becoming an infrequent occurrence. Still, they do happen and it's best that you know what to do if you suffer one.

Start with maintaining a safe driving speed; there are just no two sides to this. The lower your speed, the higher your chance of survival. A blowout at 80 - 90 kph will be far less dramatic than one at 140 - 150 kph. Indeed, if you survive a tire burst at 150 kph, consider it a gift of God.

Do not slam on the brake pedal. Of course, this is easier said than done, as our brains are hardwired to instinctively jam the brake pedal in an emergency. Hard braking is actually the worst thing you can do as it will further imbalance the vehicle and throw it out of control.

Don’t abruptly take your foot off the accelerator. Do it slowly and gradually. In fact, Michelin recommends that you maintain accelerator input momentarily, before releasing it slowly. The deceleration force from a blown tire is so strong that your car will anyway slow down rapidly. If you have engaged cruise control, be sure to disengage it immediately.

Try your best to keep the vehicle pointed straight. Cornering or turning with a blown tire will greatly upset the car’s composure. If your car is pulling to one side, you might need to pull the steering in the opposite direction to keep it going straight. This is critical, else you risk drifting into the road divider or worse still, the opposite lane.

Do not attempt to over-correct. The key is to maintain the vehicle’s stability. A sharp yank of the steering wheel can result in a rollover. Even when you have gained control and are slowly moving to a safe parking spot, do so with the mildest steering inputs possible.

Allow the vehicle to gradually coast to a stop. Use engine braking if necessary. Lightly engage the brakes only when your car has decelerated to a slow speed. Use the turn indicators and pull over safely off the road. Drive on the bare metal wheel if you have to, but do not stop in the middle of the road as you run the risk of getting rear-ended by a speeding car. Remember to activate your hazard lights when stopped.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by tellwsdom: 6:30pm On Oct 17, 2013
lomomike: Composure is the key here. Knowing you have had a blown up tyre yet trying to stay calm while bringing the car to a controlled stop is very very important. When running on high speed and a tyre suddenly blows out, [b]DON'T go any where near your BRAKES and DONT suddenly turn your STEERING WHEELout of tension or fear. Most people will suddenly slam on their brakes (when a tyre burst, all the weight of the car shifts to that burst thus the car will tend to dive or dip in that direction plus the inertia might forcefully steer the car towards or away that burst tyre violently; slamming on the brakes or suddenly turning the steering wheel Will result to a total loss of traction on one or more tyres, or violent sudden shift in car weight and this could result in loss of control or roll over or a somersault, or violent careering of such car suddenly off the road ultimatly leading to a crash) immediately you experience a burst tyre, that brake should not be touched. Grip the steering wheel firmly and gradually bring the car to your intended direction (on a straight line), gradually take your legs off the accelerator pedal. [b]Keep holding the steering and guiding the direction of the car till it slows down very well then you can finally pull over to the shoulder of the road and stop.

LMAOO at Hold down the steering till it slows down grin grin..OK, what if i had vehicles/trailer in front of me during the outburst. Is ramming on them the alternatives?? ...

If you could hold on to the brake gradually, but not fully till u arrive in a slower motion; fine sad....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Traffic Road Signs / What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? / 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.