Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:07 AM

Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN (39179 Views)

Change: World Now Listens When Nigeria Speaks (Photo) / Caption This Photo, World Now Listen When Nigeria Speaks (CHANGE) ??? / US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by UyiIredia(m): 1:07am On Oct 24, 2013
Miles78: If u r fucking ur woman from anus and enjoys it, 100% chances are u r gay! 14years be that oooo!!

I see, so BJ's, kissing and cunninglingus means one is gay. I say because gays do so to wrt to their genders. Please think before you type.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by ludot(m): 1:07am On Oct 24, 2013
porka:

Homosexuality is man sleeping with or having sexual affection towards a man or woman sleeping with or having sexual affection towards a woman.

Fornication and Adultery are betrayal of trust either as a single or married person.

Thanks for the definitions. The bottom line is that they are all sins. Are they not?
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by UyiIredia(m): 1:10am On Oct 24, 2013
ludot: People are so quick to shout 'death to homosexuals'

How does homosexuality differ from fornication and adultery? The last time I checked, they are all sins according to the two major religions in Nigeria.

If you have never committed fornication or adultery before then you are free to cast the first stone.

Then I can cast stones since I've done neither, inspite of konji.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by ludot(m): 1:16am On Oct 24, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Then I can cast stones since I've done neither, inspite of konji.

Good for you.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by porka: 1:20am On Oct 24, 2013
wman: Any one thinking homosexualism won't be eventually legalised in Nigeria is just fooling his/her self. These are the last days.

Years ago it was a taboo to have sex before marriage according to both tradition and religion. Now it is the norm.

Lets follow censorship of movies and T.V series.

In the early 20th century who would have thought that nudity would be shown on live T.V and still be rated 16. Now we have:
Spartacus
True Blood
Game of Thrones
Board Walk Empire
Rome e.t.c

Main stream movies rated PG 14 now show the naked boo.bs and asses of girls without their pussy showing e.g
Titanic
American Pie
Bad Teacher
Snow White and the huntsman e.t.c (I rarely watch movies so I can't name more but I'm sure u can fill in more yourself)
These movies are shown on channels and other local T.V stations by 10 p.m upwards. Even 8 year olds watch them. The unacceptable has thus become the norm.

Lets move to Nollywood. Showing side boo.bs was wrong b4 but now its okay. Showing the actor your frontal view while backing the camera was wrong b4 but now its cool.

So many music videos that would be banned in the 90's are now allowed.

Even in the manner of dressing. B4 the term mini-skirt was used but its no longer used as such skirts & dresses are even worn to religious institutions.

Songs with profane lyrics are on the rise. The censorship board relax their rules every year.

Our forefathers wouldn't have believed it if they were told that pre marital sex would be the norm.

In the 1960s if they had told our parents that T.V series with nude scenes would be the norm, they would argue with u that its impossible.

Anyone with half a brain would study the trend worldwide.

As long as there are immoral people to support an act & as long as that act doesn' t affect other people's lifes, it would come to stay.

Cocaine, heroine and other hard drug use is also the trend worldwide, anyone with one trillionth a brain will know that.

So also credit card fraud, terrorism, gun violence etc.

NDLEA will soon relax its rules, Nigeria Police will soon be disbanded while the Nigerian A r m e d Forces would be converted to farmers to the dismay of our forefathers.

You are comparing sleep with death.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by UyiIredia(m): 1:20am On Oct 24, 2013
I agree with Miss EZ the law is wrong in the manner it handles the matter. Imprisoning gays for 14 year just for being so is wrong. A preemptive law I surmise could and should have been nade that merely made gay marriage impossible without necessarily being punitive. But then Nigeria is quite ridiculous when it comes to law. I have attended registry wedding where I've to hear polygamy ornpolyandry is punishable by 9 years in prison.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by porka: 1:21am On Oct 24, 2013
ludot:

Thanks for the definitions. The bottom line is that they are all sins. Are they not?

Yes, more than that, homosexuality is a crime in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by porka: 1:29am On Oct 24, 2013
Uyi Iredia: I agree with Miss EZ the law is wrong in the manner it handles the matter. Imprisoning gays for 14 year just for being so is wrong. A preemptive law I surmise could and should have been nade that merely made gay marriage impossible without necessarily being punitive. But then Nigeria is quite ridiculous when it comes to law. I have attended registry wedding where I've to hear polygamy ornpolyandry is punishable by 9 years in prison.

Marriages conducted under native laws and customs are not subject to that mind you.

What is the essence of your preemptive law without punishment please tell.

How has that preemptive law made i n c e s t impossible wherever it being applied?
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by MissEZ(f): 1:31am On Oct 24, 2013
Uyi Iredia: I agree with Miss EZ the law is wrong in the manner it handles the matter. Imprisoning gays for 14 year just for being so is wrong. A preemptive law I surmise could and should have been nade that merely made gay marriage impossible without necessarily being punitive. But then Nigeria is quite ridiculous when it comes to law. I have attended registry wedding where I've to hear polygamy ornpolyandry is punishable by 9 years in prison.

Well said Uyi. A reasonable approach would have been a ban on gay marriage, and not necessarily jail time. But trust us to go overboard. Smh.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by MissEZ(f): 1:34am On Oct 24, 2013
porka:

Marriages conducted under native laws and customs are not subject to that mind you.

What is the essence of your preemptive law without punishment please tell.

How has that preemptive law made i n c e s t impossible wherever it being applied?

The truth is law does not make anything impossible. Every armed robber knows that the law specifies that he be put to death if caught. Every fraudster knows that being caught means jail time.

I think the main issue here is that Nigerians can say we do not support homosexuality, therefore, you will not be allowed to get married or reap the benefits that come with the institution which in the US is a lot (healthcare, pension, etc). But to go for jail time for homosexuality? Really? It is just overkill. I no even know why i de argue this issue. Abeg where my bf.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by ludot(m): 1:35am On Oct 24, 2013
porka:

Yes, more than that, homosexuality is a crime in Nigeria.

Homosexuality is not the only crime in Nigeria, is it? But it is the one people are most vocal about. Why?

As you continue casting your stones you just remember the verses below.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11

New Living Translation (NLT)

9 Don’t you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don’t fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality,
10 or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people—none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God.
11 Some of you were once like that. But you were cleansed; you were made holy; you were made right with God by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Bpriest(m): 1:36am On Oct 24, 2013
Miss EZ:

Well said Uyi. A reasonable approach would have been a ban on gay marriage, and not necessarily jail time. But trust us to go overboard. Smh.
how can you ban something, without thinking about a way to punish those who will break the law/ban? .
Do you know anything that is banned don't have a sanction for those who go against the ban?

Or you would have preferred a fine ?

14y is too small. IMHO. Burn the animals
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by porka: 1:37am On Oct 24, 2013
wman:

Rape is different from consentual & mutual sex.

What about consensual and mutual sex between a parent and an offspring?
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Bpriest(m): 1:38am On Oct 24, 2013
People should understand that it is not about what you want, how feel etc .this is the law of your country, its either you abide by the law or you relocate.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by MissEZ(f): 1:40am On Oct 24, 2013
porka:

What about consensual and mutual sex between a parent and an offspring?

For that to happen, there must be a deep psychological (mental illness) on the part of the parent. For a child to agree to sleep with their parent, they must either be ignorant, were brought up poorly or have some form of mental illness. Either ways, the parent bears more of the responsibility in this case because they should know better
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by porka: 1:41am On Oct 24, 2013
Miss EZ:

Any ban/law should carry a consequence otherwise it is not a ban but an advise.

Jail time is a civilize modern method of enforcing a ban/law.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by porka: 1:43am On Oct 24, 2013
Miss EZ:

For that to happen, there must be a deep psychological (mental illness) on the part of the parent. For a child to agree to sleep with their parent, they must either be ignorant, were brought up poorly or have some form of mental illness. Either ways, the parent bears more of the responsibility in this case because they should know better

Ok, so you take them to psychiatric hospital or what would you do?
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by MissEZ(f): 1:45am On Oct 24, 2013
Bpriest: how can you ban something, without thinking about a way to punish those who will break the law/ban? .
Do you know anything that is banned don't have a sanction for those who go against the ban?

Or you would have preferred a fine ?

14y is too small. IMHO. Burn the animals

One of the reasons people push for gay marriage in the US is because they want to be entitled to spousal benefits including their healthcare insurance which covers family hospital visits, as well as pension and other benefits. Gay essentially refutes this privilege. It also means that no matter how much they love their partner, they will never be recognized as a spouse.

Besides isnt taking one in the ass punishment enough?....lol. But seriously there are ways to deal with this issue. a 14 year sentence isnt one of them
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by MissEZ(f): 1:45am On Oct 24, 2013
porka:

Ok, so you take them to psychiatric hospital or what would you do?

Isnt that what you do with mentally ill patients? What purpose does putting them in jail serve?
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by porka: 1:49am On Oct 24, 2013
Miss EZ:

The truth is law does not make anything impossible. Every armed robber knows that the law specifies that he be put to death if caught. Every fraudster knows that being caught means jail time.

I think the main issue here is that Nigerians can say we do not support homosexuality, therefore, you will not be allowed to get married or reap the benefits that come with the institution which in the US is a lot (healthcare, pension, etc). But to go for jail time for homosexuality? Really? It is just overkill. I no even know why i de argue this issue. Abeg where my bf.

It's contradictory.

We do not support homosexuality where is the marriage coming from?

You mean we should accept homosexuality but not homosexual marriage?

Try harder.

Homosexuality is illegal in Nigeria.

It carries maximum 14 years imprisonment on conviction.

It carries the death penalty in 14 Sharia compliant states in the North.

Be warned.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by porka: 1:51am On Oct 24, 2013
vire:

well maybe cos i dont have hate in my heart....i have an understanding of things that must be.....i am not being sympathetic but seeing the future from the present....Our leaders will bend once their hidden loots in swiss banks are threatened....there is a shadow govt in every govt and i dont see them not wining this war in Nigeria

lol...

We shall see.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Bpriest(m): 1:52am On Oct 24, 2013
Miss EZ:

One of the reasons people push for gay marriage in the US is because they want to be entitled to spousal benefits including their healthcare insurance which covers family hospital visits, as well as pension and other benefits. Gay essentially refutes this privilege. It also means that no matter how much they love their partner, they will never be recognized as a spouse.

Besides isnt taking one in the ass punishment enough?....lol. But seriously there are ways to deal with this issue. a 14 year sentence isnt one of them
Let's focus on Nigeria?
We are waiting your propositions
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by porka: 1:54am On Oct 24, 2013
Miss EZ:

Isnt that what you do with mentally ill patients? What purpose does putting them in jail serve?

So ask the European and American governments who put them in jail.

Are you saying homosexuals are lunatics by any way though?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by MissEZ(f): 1:55am On Oct 24, 2013
porka:

It's contradictory.

We do not support homosexuality where is the marriage coming from?

You mean we should accept homosexuality but not homosexual marriage?

Try harder.

Homosexuality is illegal in Nigeria.

It carries maximum 14 years imprisonment on conviction.

It carries the death penalty in 14 Sharia compliant states in the North.

Be warned.

Porka, neither should be accepted. That does not mean it should be criminalized. I was using gay marriage as an example.

Why are you warning me? This law has no effect on me personally. But just because something does not affect me does not mean i cannot debate it. So there is a death penalty for homosexuality in the North. Well guess what, i served in the North, some of their top politicians are gay or bi. When i asked why, they said it was a power thing. Kind of like passing the baton or whatever silly excuse they gave.

Do not mistake my debating the law as me being in support of homosexuality. I support the preservation of human rights of people. People have the right to associate with whomever they please.

By the way, don't twist my words. I talked about mental illness in regards to incest and not homosexuality and my response was my personal opinion on the issue of incest. I have no idea why people chose a homosexual lifestyle, neither can i tell you why people would engage in incest. All i can do is guess
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Bpriest(m): 1:59am On Oct 24, 2013
We live in a democracy. 98% here are against you and don't even want you among them. Deal with it . A democracy is the rule of the majority over the minority.
What will b the point to legalize that? You want to b lynched? The gov doesn't want to lie to you, people are not ready for you ,we should stop even discussing about that. do you know what they do to lesbians in SA ?check it out, this basically what happens when a law is passed without the support of the people.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by porka: 2:02am On Oct 24, 2013
ojimbo: Obama should come and marry me and hand over my green card with my residential permit to me, hahahahaha, hustling continues in U S A,,,,,, useless western world, am on my way to chicken republic with my girlfriend jooooo, God bless our marriage

17 trillion dollars debt to foreigners is now their new idol.

Their towns are going bankrupt.

In six months time they will go borrow more.

They've given them what they will worship for several generations.

Did you see how foreigners - Chinese, Japanese and the IMF scolded them during their childlike fight over other people money?

They quickly behaved almost like a helpless beggar.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by MissEZ(f): 2:02am On Oct 24, 2013
Bpriest: We live in a democracy. 98% here are against you and don't even want you among them. Deal with. A democracy is the rule of the majority over the minority.
What will b the point to legalize that? You want to b lynched? The gov doesn't want to lie to you, people are not ready for you ,we should stop even discussing about that. do you know what they do to lesbians in SA ?check it out, this basically what happens when a law is passed without the support of the people.

Bpriest, honestly i cant tell you what the appropriate step would be o. I do not think it should be legalized. I also do not think it should be criminalized. Homosexuality is indeed foreign to our culture. I am speaking more from the point of view of maintaining ones freedom to associate with whomever they please as long as it does not infringe against the right of others or cause harm to someone else.

I hear you when you say it is the law. the law should be respected. But this is one law that should not have been passed IMO. Homosexuality is something that will probably never be accepted in Nigeria and i am very okay with that. I just dont think that a homosexual should go to jail for being gay.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by porka: 2:14am On Oct 24, 2013
Miss EZ:

Porka, neither should be accepted. That does not mean it should be criminalized. I was using gay marriage as an example.

Why are you warning me? This law has no effect on me personally. But just because something does not affect me does not mean i cannot debate it. So there is a death penalty for homosexuality in the North. Well guess what, i served in the North, some of their top politicians are gay or bi. When i asked why, they said it was a power thing. Kind of like passing the baton or whatever silly excuse they gave.

Do not mistake my debating the law as me being in support of homosexuality. I support the preservation of human rights of people. People have the right to associate with whomever they please.

By the way, don't twist my words. I talked about mental illness in regards to incest and not homosexuality and my response was my personal opinion on the issue of incest. I have no idea why people chose a homosexual lifestyle, neither can i tell you why people would engage in incest. All i can do is guess

Now, can you see why you have to be warned?

The new law when passed will have direct effect on you personally. This is aside of the existing law currently.

In the new law, if you know any politician as you claim you currently do, who practices homosexuality and fail to report to the authority, and it is discovered that you are concealing the information as you are currently doing, you are in for a lengthy jail time.

Homosexuality is not a human right in Nigeria, you read what Nigerian representatives told the whole world at the UN.

Deal with it.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by MissEZ(f): 2:21am On Oct 24, 2013
porka:

Now, can you see why you have to be warned?

The new law when passed will have direct effect on you personally. This is aside of the existing law currently.

In the new law, if you know any politician as you claim you currently do, who practices homosexuality and fail to report to the authority, and it is discovered that you are concealing the information as you are currently doing, you are in for a lengthy jail time.

Homosexuality is not a human right in Nigeria, you read what Nigerian representatives told the whole world at the UN.

Deal with it.

Porka, you have a way of twisting words. I never said i knew politicians. The word know for me suggests that there is a personal friendship which in this case does not exist. I worked in Federal establishment and heard conversations. I asked one or two questions and that was it. I dont know them personally. By the way my NYSC was in 2005. I could care less what those men are doing now. In any case, i dont see why i deserve a warning. Like i said, peoples sexual orientation is non of my business especially if there is no harm being done. I make an exception when it comes to incest and abuse.

So please stop warning me. State your point and leave it at that
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by porka: 2:23am On Oct 24, 2013
Miss EZ:

Bpriest, honestly i cant tell you what the appropriate step would be o. I do not think it should be legalized. I also do not think it should be criminalized. Homosexuality is indeed foreign to our culture. I am speaking more from the point of view of maintaining ones freedom to associate with whomever they please as long as it does not infringe against the right of others or cause harm to someone else.

I hear you when you say it is the law. the law should be respected. But this is one law that should not have been passed IMO. Homosexuality is something that will probably never be accepted in Nigeria and i am very okay with that. I just dont think that a homosexual should go to jail for being gay.

I n c e s t does not infringe on the rights of others.

But you said they are sick.

Homosexuals were considered lunatics sometimes ago too.

Until they blackmailed the American Medical Association to remove it from psychiatric ailment.

Some years from now, especially when the first product of i n c e s t becomes the president of America or one prime minister in Europe, then they will come hear to preach some deranged human right.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by porka: 2:28am On Oct 24, 2013
Miss EZ:

Porka, you have a way of twisting words. I never said i knew politicians. The word know for me suggests that there is a personal friendship which in this case does not exist. I worked in Federal establishment and heard conversations. I asked one or two questions and that was it. I dont know them personally. By the way my NYSC was in 2005. I could care less what those men are doing now. In any case, i dont see why i deserve a warning. Like i said, peoples sexual orientation is non of my business especially if there is no harm being done. I make an exception when it comes to incest and abuse.

So please stop warning me. State your point and leave it at that

The way you made your exception to i n c e s t is the same way Nigerians make exception to homosexuality.

We are not following your standard, we already have ours.

Warning is to guide you though, because ignorance is not an excuse.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by MissEZ(f): 2:29am On Oct 24, 2013
porka:

I n c e s t does not infringe on the rights of others.

But you said they are sick.

Homosexuals were considered lunatics sometimes ago too.

Until they blackmailed the American Medical Association to remove it from psychiatric ailment.

Some years from now, especially when the first product of i n c e s t becomes the president of America or one prime minister in Europe, then they will come hear to preach some deranged human right.

A product of incest is most likely going to have some genetic defect. That is one of the side effect of this practice.

Look Porka, me i am tired jo. Cant remember the last time i talked this much on NL. Make everybody do wetin de their mind. As for me and my house, its Adam and Eve and not Adam and Steve. For people who love same sex relationships, it is their business. Let them deal with the law.

By the way, i am not sure by what you mean about following my standard. I am a proud Nigerian. Just because i dont agree with every Nigerian policy does not make me any less of a Nigerian. We agree to disagree

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (28) (Reply)

Feyi Fawehinmi: I’m Sorry If I Convinced Anyone To Vote For This Government / Jang Tells Buhari To Resign Now. See Reactions (photos) / Enugu Youths Clean The City After The Riots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.