Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,330 members, 7,954,337 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:58 PM

What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? (23838 Views)

The Good 80s: Just What Is Your Taste In MUSIC? / For Those That Appreciate Quality Videos This Is The Very Video For Your Taste. / The Nigerian Girls In Music Videos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Carsonv(m): 6:34pm On Oct 23, 2013
I love songs that are filled with metaphors. Frank Ocean is one helluva singer. Y'all should try him sometimes...
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by phil5(m): 6:47pm On Oct 23, 2013
Ok ,nw remember the motives for hearing music as one influence and also the state of mind of an individual at a particular time which comprises of both the mood,
Despite all this above u can be guided buy ur level of iQ and want.Now hw it affects iQ level depends on individual. If u are dull ,u are just dull if intelligent u are also just intelligent.

E.g. Terry G. Would u like to hear :"tiletile I go nack u akpako oya nack u akpako" . A very intelligent person would nt want it cause he/ she may see no sense in the lyrics
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by mayor007(m): 6:48pm On Oct 23, 2013
Some of these researches no dey apply to Nigerians joor.

Even though rap is my favourite genre, I listen to others too ranging from Fuji, Pop, Country, Rock, Reggae and Soul. I have the discography of the top artistes in each genre on my laptop 'cause I believe there is always a song for every mood/mode.

I love poetry and I know some songs help with the way you decipher things whilst adding to your vocabulary; so everyone with their tastes. Whether it increases IQ is what I don't know.

My aunt in The States is a successful lady and her favourite artiste is Pasuma and she is one of the most intelligent people I know.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Eillyeillz(m): 6:48pm On Oct 23, 2013
op no vex your question today no follow at all.i love rap musix to a fault and still pass my examz.to me i think you need to be smart to understand rap musix imo!!
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Oct 23, 2013
Correlation does not equal causation.

2 Likes

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by fuelsaver: 6:51pm On Oct 23, 2013
Truly music is an art of worship and you are as wise as the one you worship. Every music glorifies either God or satan. Therefore the one being praised in the music shows up to manifest his virtues upon the singers and dancers alike. Music is like a wine that controls the drinker. You remember kolomenta!!!

BabaAlabi: A good friend of mine loves listening to songs by Terry G while another is into rock. Guess which one is writing JAMB for the 4th time?
I found an article which said that students who loved listening to Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj performed lower in IQ tests. Does our musical preference correlate with intelligence?
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by lyricalz: 6:56pm On Oct 23, 2013
show me d kinda music u listen to n I'll tell u how intelligent u're. Its not about d genre, its about the lyrics n the message it contains, most music these days are bunch of gibberish. Doesn't matter if its lil wayne or nikki sum of dem has got good songs it depends d ones u listen to.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by freecocoa(f): 6:59pm On Oct 23, 2013
fuelsaver: Truly music is an art of worship and you are as wise as the one you worship. Every music glorifies either God or satan. Therefore the one being praised in the music shows up to manifest his virtues upon the singers and dancers alike. Music is like a wine that controls the drinker. You remember kolomenta!!!

You just had to bring religion\God into it right?ofcourse you had.

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by freecocoa(f): 7:03pm On Oct 23, 2013
There's definitely a correlation but it does not prove anything in its entirety.

For most people, the kind of music they listen to,comes with the mood they are in, still I must say the someone who prefers the kind of music Terry G makes to that of people like Frank Ocean, Coldplay, Beatles,Enya etc must definitely be a dullard.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by philfearon(m): 7:04pm On Oct 23, 2013
It says a lot o....
If ur brain gets infested with the craps Acts like Lil Wayne,Rick Ross et al,spews with their mouth; Sorry will be ur surname!!
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Aliki(m): 7:04pm On Oct 23, 2013
Your type of music may reflect your personality, but not how intelligent you are. Personally, I see Lil' Wayne as a genius, same as 2pac! Our best rappers here in Nigeria are still way far behind, in comparison to beats and lyrics these guys produced several years back.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by nekaa(f): 7:08pm On Oct 23, 2013
redcliff:

I beg to differ pls. Your taste in music has everything to do with your intelligence level. People who listen to more abstract music tend to be highly intelligent and can express themselves pretty good in English. I think the kind of friends u hangout with are not the kind of people I mentioned above and that's why u can't see that there is a correlation betweeen ur kind of music and intelligence level
I seee....
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by 7stargen(m): 7:10pm On Oct 23, 2013
u av to b intelligent to understand rap
cmon lil wayne himself is a genius considerin hw he plays with words

failin jamb four times has nothin to do with music
and dr r so many factors dt contributes to failure esp in naija

no b who carry first be d most intelligent - ice prince
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Fynist(m): 7:12pm On Oct 23, 2013
stillwater: I think it should be the more commercial your taste in music is, the more dumb you are.
I'm not a rap-head, I'm not even interested in it, but I know the difference between Lil Wayne and Canibus. Don't let the commercial artistes steal and defame the art that rap is. It's not a walk in a park talking about world problems and rhyming as well.
That said, I listen to all kinds of music and it depends on my mood during those months. There are times I have long spells for rock, african music from the likes of Salif Keita or take a particular interest in the artiste. I also have Reggae spells, Soul and Jazz, Gospel, down right to our own dear Psquare kind of music.
Bro you just said it all. It takes a person, with very high intelligence to interpret Lil'wayne Songs. I am a Musical Fan. I listen to Virtually all Music. So, op's assertions are crap
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Elxandre(m): 7:12pm On Oct 23, 2013
I just happen to hate most Nigerian hip hop songs..e.g skelewu, the kick, e.t.c but i prefer cool songs e.g R&B.
But does music affect intelligence?
NO!
Instead Intelligence decides which music appeals to the listener..
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by wolexy07(m): 7:13pm On Oct 23, 2013
Yield: Correlation does not equal causation.
Lol. Of course it doesn't.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by 7stargen(m): 7:14pm On Oct 23, 2013
philfearon: It says a lot o....
If ur brain gets infested with the craps Acts like Lil Wayne,Rick Ross et al,spews with their mouth; Sorry will be ur surname!!

sayin shits doesnt min one is dumb
its actually the creativity dt matters
bone oh
dos guys r creative mehhn
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by yfo: 7:16pm On Oct 23, 2013
I believe the music you listen to MOST has more of a correlation with your personality than intelligence. IMHO.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by wolexy07(m): 7:17pm On Oct 23, 2013
Aliki: Personally, I see Lil' Wayne as a genius
Wetin Eminem con be?
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by tosingcfr(m): 7:18pm On Oct 23, 2013
Listen to some of Lil Wayne's songs and your life would never remain the same. Although he sings about puss'y and the rest atimes but he has the lyrics. I can recommend atleast 5 of his songs for anybody. BTW,back then in school, I used to listen to Lil Wayne's songs before entering the exam hall and I was never a bad student.

#Teamlilwezzy
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by 7stargen(m): 7:18pm On Oct 23, 2013
Elxandre: I just happen to hate most Nigerian hip hop songs..e.g skelewu, the kick, e.t.c but i prefer cool songs e.g R&B.
But does music affect intelligence?
NO!
Instead Intelligence decides which music appeals to the listener..

bro u [s] make [/] mark sense jare
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by rman: 7:19pm On Oct 23, 2013
It says a lot!

In fact, I can easily tell if someone is classy based on their choice favorite songs.

I can aslo tell if someone is intelligent based on the range music they can relate with.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Oct 23, 2013
it depends on the way the person listens to the music. Some just listen to the "beats". This category comprises people who are more artistic or openly expressive. Another category sifts through the music and actually appreciate the lyrics. This category comprises people who can analyze problems easily. Another category, which is the monkey-see-monkey-do category comprises people who believe elevated status in society can be achieved through memorizing the words of the song, without knowing what the lyrics imply, often memorizing songs in languages they dont know a single word in. A typical example is the recent trend in Nigeria where youth can eloquently articulate the lyrics in Wizkids songs without giving a single thought to the meanings behind them. The type of music determines the level of intelligence and the way the listener listens to the music does as well
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by radioactive(f): 7:24pm On Oct 23, 2013
I don't think any intelligence is required to write most of the booty-shaking, azz-grabbing lyrics in many Nigerian songs these days so I don't see how any deep thinking or smart person would love listening to such crap. Just saying!
Give me Ed Sheeran anytime. His lyrics actually make you think hard in order to interprete the poetry.

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Justeenaleo(f): 7:29pm On Oct 23, 2013
[quote author=BabaAlabi]
I think it does. Maybe it's because I don't really like lil wayne but I think it matters. It's not as if people should avoid the music entirely but it should be a once in a while affair. Take a look at this
"According to a recent study, Lil Wayne fans
are as dumb as a rock. If you enjoy Beyonce
and T.I., you're not too far behind. If you
listen to Beethoven, you're practically a
genuis.
Data for the study was gathered from
Facebook. The study's author found kids
from different colleges across the US, and
compared their favorite music to the
average SAT scores from those schools.
According to the results, Lil Wayne fans had
the lowest SAT score at 876, giving his fans
the dreaded title of "dumbest fans," while
fans bands like Radiohead, Counting Crows
and singer Sufjan Stevens ranked in the
1200s. Fans of Beethoven ranked the highest
at 1376. A perfect SAT score is 1600."
[/
That's R.U.B.B.I.S.H mtchew am a fan of lilwayne nd I was nd still am among d best academically
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by RedCard1(m): 7:33pm On Oct 23, 2013
That I know the kind of stuffs quality lyrics should be talking about.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Oct 23, 2013
to a greater extent it does ooo. there's this feeling of satisfaction and friendliness when u meet someone who listen to dsame selection of music like u do. there are particular kind of music dat does suit some particular situation. for me, blues, rock and jazz music are my brand and they help me reason well and to achieve serenity. Phil Collins and Kenny G are d bomb.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by ycmdng(m): 7:38pm On Oct 23, 2013
Big time, song/lyrics are point of reasoning. Some lyrics are motivation to fellow composer. I can boldly recommend reggea for anybody dat feel depressed and wwanna see d future... undecided
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Justeenaleo(f): 7:39pm On Oct 23, 2013
Fynist: Bro you just said it all. It takes a person, with very high intelligence to interpret Lil'wayne Songs. I am a Musical Fan. I listen to Virtually all Music. So, op's assertions are crap
cool
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Oct 23, 2013
to a greater extent it does ooo. there's this feeling of satisfaction and friendliness when u meet someone who listen to dsame selection of music like u do. there are particular kind of music dat do suit some particular situation. for me, blues, rock and jazz music are my brand and they help me reason well and to achieve serenity. Phil Collins and Kenny G are d bomb.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The 10 Best Nigerian Albums Of 2015 / Reasons Why Some Upcoming Artiste Will Forever Remain Upcoming / WizKid, The Game & Young Jeezy In The Studio Together (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.