Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,820 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:30 PM

What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? - Music/Radio (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? (23606 Views)

The Good 80s: Just What Is Your Taste In MUSIC? / For Those That Appreciate Quality Videos This Is The Very Video For Your Taste. / The Nigerian Girls In Music Videos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by baggy4luv(m): 9:02pm On Oct 23, 2013
my former boss has a penchant for naija noise makers and he is a genius with Asp.net.my friend get amazed about my type of songs(songs that make your soul travel into space).i listen to YUSSUPH OLATUNJI and i aint dull.ITS PREFERENCE Bleep I.Q
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Abbott(m): 9:08pm On Oct 23, 2013
chronique: Sure;I think your taste of music "might" have something to do with your I.Q. Sometimes when I hear people who are fans of certain artistes talk,I just end up shaking my head at the things that comes out from their mouths. As a person,I focus more on the lyrics of a song,than the beats. Terry G is an example of an artiste I can't listen to.

I believe that every music has an artistic quality even if it is banal and inane to the most sophisticated musical ear and free madness by Terry G is no exception. At the very least, the song has two verse with a refrain or hook and it would be very unfair to assess people who will sometimes prefer such music and attach wrong labels to them as it would be most fallacious to say only rich people have deviant sexual appetites
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by jayloyexten(m): 9:09pm On Oct 23, 2013
i think the bottom line is this-

children that learn music, and play musical instruments are on a general note smarter kids with higher IQ
NOW-
Its such child that would find Bethoven, yanni, and others really fascinating-
his choice of songs would not be Lil Wayne, inter alia
not that he may not listen to such songs once a while, but he would have more musical and classical songs a delight, and if he is aske his favourte he would mention such-

now concerning the data of students that passed SAT with LIL WAYNE fan the dullest- well, here is the secret.

i would not make hasty conclusions, my backdrop is clear-

but listenin to terry G and others are just choices
i do not think they reduce IQ they may affect morals-

the confusion here is what i started with- thats the answer.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by freecocoa(f): 9:13pm On Oct 23, 2013
The Last Nazgûl: . Maybe the definition of intelligence is relative. If the joke is humorless,you'd obviously have to explain it.
Believe ‎​​me, I've been trying to find intelligence in the rubbish he put up but I can't.

Like what's intelligent in eating a d*ck for breakfast?

I'm confused.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by chubysoft1(m): 9:15pm On Oct 23, 2013
The truth remains the same. Music is a principal means of expressing our inward thoughts. When you someone who like deep lyrics in music, his manner of communication aπϑ personality as well is totally different from the other guy who glorifies beats. Take Fø̲̣̣я̅ instance, the world's best neurologist, Ben Franklyn, plays classical vibes when in the surgical room!
ℓ̊ love classical music, country music, soft rock aπϑ RnB any day aπϑ anytime, especially when I'm working. aπϑ believe me it takes me high.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by aLoHaNNNNN: 9:33pm On Oct 23, 2013
amiskurie: I knew I was a genius.I need to check my IQ.

these are my kinds: MIRANDA LAMBERT,JOHN MAYER,BONGOS IKWE,TAILOR SWIFT AND MANY MORE.
Actually its taylor swift....please recheck your IQ

2 Likes

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by 7stargen(m): 9:36pm On Oct 23, 2013
The Last Nazgûl: . Where's the intelligence in these lyrics? Maybe I should send out a search party cos I can't find them.

oga see wordplay na
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 23, 2013
What abt me?
I enjoy Akon(my best musician ) on one hand and Flavour, Phyno, Osadebe, Morocco, Sunny Bobo, Pammy on the other hand
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by tonychristopher: 9:39pm On Oct 23, 2013
but that's a fact its sub consciousness if u listen to.music like enya,Julie inglesias,yanni placido domingo etc that's music for enlightened minds and I know that 90% of you haven't heard of it. its an intelligent mind.music. but if you listen to blues and rhythms you tend to be calculated and motivated but if you are a hard core rapster and these terry g bullllshittts you tend to be an everyday average idiots

the kind of music and movies you watch shows your intelligence
some are home movie buffs which to me insults my intelligence

some watch movies like scent of a woman,aviator,escape from alcrataz and the Chase. they are sophisticated

some watch blue films,they are pervert

some watch historic movies like 300; clash of titanic,troy , Odessa etc. these are inquisitive minds

people like me are documentary buffs. we are on top of pyramid. so which one do you watch.GRADE YOUSELF
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by 7stargen(m): 9:42pm On Oct 23, 2013
freecocoa: Believe ‎​​me, I've been trying to find intelligence in the rubbish he put up but I can't.

I'm confused.

can u see creativity in d lyrics?
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Ishilove: 9:45pm On Oct 23, 2013
I think contemporary music is empty and shallow. I prefer listening to old music. The older the better.

What does that say about me? undecided
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by AjanleKoko: 9:47pm On Oct 23, 2013
BabaAlabi:
Lol...But does the kind of music you listen to matter? For example many Nigerians don't care about meaningful lyrics in a song, na only dance dem wan dance. Does it have an effect on exams and reasoning?

You're on to something there wink
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by debosky(m): 9:48pm On Oct 23, 2013
^^ it says you're old, grandma ishi cheesy
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Sagamite(m): 9:55pm On Oct 23, 2013
Ishilove: I think contemporary music is empty and shallow. I prefer listening to old music. The older the better.

This na your stuff abi? grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5utNmlJqsE
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Joshthefirst(m): 9:57pm On Oct 23, 2013
Ishilove: I think contemporary music is empty and shallow. I prefer listening to old music. The older the better.

you're an old woman inside??
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Bome01(m): 9:59pm On Oct 23, 2013
I don't think u shld blame Lil' wayne for his fans' dumbness! Everybody has his/her own view of music! Some only care about the beat, some the rhythm(flow), some the style, some the lyrics. If we're talking about lyrics, Lil' wayne is a lyrical genius! Probably the dumb fans only know the lyrics without understanding the deep meanings of the lyrics. Intelligent music fans know a good artist by their lyrics. As much as i'd like to agree that the kind of music has an effect on IQ, i'd say you've got to judge from different perspective!
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by duality(m): 10:04pm On Oct 23, 2013
PBundles: Sorry but thats not true what you stated. Classical music has been said to have soothing effect on your demeanor BUT productive dont know about that. Actually it was proven sometime ago that pulsating music (rap, rock) made one work hard be focused and as such more productive.

The learning of a musical instrument wont make you smarter, its the same as any other learning process and as such can increase brain activity. Sukudo ( japanese logic puzzles) have been tested to stimulate and boost brain power, which is NOT the same as increasing IQ. 2 different things.

[b]
I honestly didn't want to respond to you because your ignorance won't affect me in any way. Anyway I know most folks here are wired to believe things with a source link. You may go through these few.

http://curiosity.discovery.com/question/playing-musical-instrument-smarter

Many anecdotes exist linking music and intelligence. For instance, there's what is known as the "Mozart Effect," in reality, the ability for learning music to improve a person's spatial reasoning. It seems Mozart was not only a brilliant pianist, he also had a penchant for playing billiards, and using mathematical reasoning to map out the spatial relationships among the balls on the table. Then there's the great genius Albert Einstein, who also gained notoriety for his talent playing the violin.

The question then becomes, how does playing an instrument affect intelligence? These stories about Einstein and Mozart may be remarkable, but there is scientific proof that playing an instrument actually can change the physicality of the brain. Studies show that the corpus callosum, the part of the brain that links the higher centers of the left and right brain and transfers motor, sensory and cognitive information between the brain's hemispheres, increases in size in people who play musical instruments [source: Alleyne]. Other research concurs that besides this increase in brain size, the areas of the brain that control things like memory and hearing also become more active. This increased perception could yield evidence of higher intelligence. Interestingly, these results are not merely seen in children who are learning instruments; evidence of changes in brain functionality is also present in adults learning to play an instrument.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2009/11/06/music-lessons-boost-brain-power/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/6447588/Playing-a-musical-instrument-makes-you-brainier.html

I didn't need an internet link to know this. I have first hand knowledge of it.

Note: Classical music is great for poultry birds especially the layers. Thank me for this revelation if you are a farmer.

GRACIAS.[/b]
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by freecocoa(f): 10:04pm On Oct 23, 2013
7stargen:

I sure see him talking about naughty sex using everyday words\regular phrases to really drive his points home.

Creative you may say, definitely not worth the hype that dude was giving it.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by TheLastNazgul(m): 10:05pm On Oct 23, 2013
7stargen:

what is creative in a girl having phalluses for breakfast.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by jossiwan(m): 10:06pm On Oct 23, 2013
BabaAlabi: A good friend of mine loves listening to songs by Terry G while another is into rock. Guess which one is writing JAMB for the 4th time?
I found an article which said that students who loved listening to Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj performed lower in IQ tests. Does our musical preference correlate with intelligence?
yes absolutely it correlate
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by wisolf(m): 10:07pm On Oct 23, 2013
Now u mistake brilliance 4 intelligence!
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by TheLastNazgul(m): 10:08pm On Oct 23, 2013
freecocoa: Believe ‎​​me, I've been trying to find intelligence in the rubbish he put up but I can't.

I'm confused.
spot on.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by brine(m): 10:14pm On Oct 23, 2013
Willgates: just because someone is writing JAMB for the fourth time doesn't mean he's got an abysmal I.Q. And did you just say lil Wayne's songs? damn! the manner at which that guy plays with words is simply incredible! If u don't like his songs it's because u have a low I.Q already

Damn !!! I hereby declare the post above as the most reasonable post on Nairaland. For you to comprehend Lil Wayne's songs,you just got to have something up stairs. Forget about the vulgar words, "keep your mouth closed and let your eyes listen"

Dumb people be like " what's this one saying" ? because they can't comprehend it.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by ycmdng(m): 10:17pm On Oct 23, 2013
Well, i dnt listen to naija noise makers called musicians. They re jst hungry for fame and money havimg nothin to deliver. Most of them wld have bbn of better use as a backup singer. Intellect wise, i vote for reggea. It broadens ones reasoning. Hi man!

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by excondido(m): 10:25pm On Oct 23, 2013
i think it does indicate the level of our intelligence but it is not a measure of intelligence in it self. our taste of music is a combination of alot of factors like culture, age group and ones nationality and the type of music one was introduced to in its formative years. hip hop as a trending type of music gets its audience hooked to the rhythms and tones rather than the message it conveys. while most rock and soul music tend to catch its audience through its lyrics. A listener of the former will most often times than not be a gregarious type judging by the strong and explicit contents that its famous for, as oppose to other genres that a tools for expressing social and deep societal ills and actions.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Bootybuttchic(f): 10:39pm On Oct 23, 2013
i think its absoluteeely wrong.....am a big fan of rap tooo especially nicki minaj lilwayne and eminem.so are d most intellectually sound people i know.....i believe most people who listen to moree blues can be gullible atimes....not all duh
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by MOBBDEEP: 10:40pm On Oct 23, 2013
she-blayze:

What does the study have to say about someone like me Lool
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by MOBBDEEP: 10:40pm On Oct 23, 2013
she-blayze:

Most of the greatest classical songs in history are just instruments, no lyrics and you say that's what smart people listen to? I dunno about any other person but I sure prefer Terry G's song with razz lyrics to some lyric-less stuffs that drives the ears crazy.

What does the study have to say about someone like me Lool

Hmm, you truly blaze !!!!
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Canineofficial(m): 10:46pm On Oct 23, 2013
NewAge

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

An Unbiased Review Of The 15th Headies Award By TrendyBeatz / 2Face Idibia's "OLE" Music Video / Vector Ft Davido – 'Comfort'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.