Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,485 members, 7,819,759 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

128 Killed In Yobe Boko-Haram Attack - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 128 Killed In Yobe Boko-Haram Attack (24617 Views)

Photo of a goat tied to a tree roasted alive during weekend's Boko haram attack / Nigerian Troops Claim They Killed 100 Boko Haram Militants In Yobe(photos) / Ex-colonel Who Led Yobe Boko-haram Attacks Arrested (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 128 Killed In Yobe Boko-Haram Attack by tintingz(m): 5:49am On Nov 04, 2013
Now to clear the Verses in the Quran about fighting

The interpretation of the verses of the Quran is normally made with reference to the historical, grammatical and theme aspects of the verses. Some of the Quranic verses were revealed addressing issues current to that time of history, while others were revealed addressing a general principle or a matter applicable to every time and place.

All verses serve as guidance for Muslims. The substance addressed to a specific location with specific people may or may not apply to subjects outside the scope of the verses. Unless the addressees are elucidated, the Quranic verses would not be interpreted correctly.

Misinterpretation of the verses of the Quran occurs when the historical, grammatical and theme contextual aspects are not taken into consideration. Unfortunately, some people wrongly accuse Islam of teaching violence based on an improper understanding of a few verses of the Quran that were actually addressed to a specific group of people, with a specific historical background.

We will explore these verses in the light of their historical framework and of the subject matter in order to bring about their correct meaning and purpose.

The first to be addressed is verse 191 from Chapter 2:191. This verse is misunderstood to command Muslims to kill disbelievers, Christians and Jews. In order for us to study this verse within its historical and subject matter context, we need to consider verse 190 as well. Verses 190-191 say:

{And fight in the cause of God those who have (initially) waged war against you, but do not transgress limits (by causing more damage to your enemy than the damage they initially caused you, thereby expanding the circle of war). Indeed, Allah loves not transgressors.

And slay them wherever you overtake them and expel them from where they have expelled you (a reference to Quraysh who for 14 years had been expelling the Muslims from Makkah), for tumult and oppression (that Quraysh heavily incurred on you) are worse than killing; but fight them not at the Inviolable House of Worship, unless they (first) fight you there. If they were to fight you, then do not be reluctant to kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers (in the sanctity of the Holy Shrine of Ka’ba).} (Quran 2: 190-91)

Considering the history surrounding these verses, we learn that they were revealed after the peace treaty of Hudaybiyah signed between the Idolaters of Quraysh and the Muslims in the year six after emigration, and prior to the performing of one of the treaty’s conditions. This condition states that the Muslims visit Makkah and perform the Lesser Pilgrimage in the following year. At the time to perform the Lesser Pilgrimage in the following year, some Muslims were concerned that Quraysh may not fulfill its promise in allowing the Muslims to enter Makkah and conversely attack them while performing their rituals. This legitimate concern was indeed answered by God in the above verses. In case Quraysh broke the Hudaybiyah peace agreement by attacking the Muslims during the pilgrimage, only then Muslims were commanded to defend themselves and were given the details of how to act in the battlefield.

Muslims were told to kill the Idolaters wherever they may come upon them and to drive them away from wherever they initially drove them away. Muslims also were commanded to preserve the old sanctity of the Shrine of Ka’bah by not fighting in it

{But fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they [first] fight you there.}

Note in verse 190 the subject of the verb “fight” is the clause {those who have [initially] waged war against you}. This descriptive clause is making direct reference to Quraysh and could not be mistaken by any other than the Idolaters of Quraysh.

Similarly, the first part of verse 191, the subject of the verbs “slay,” “overtake,” and “expel” is Quraysh, who earlier had expelled the Muslims from Makkah. The second part of verse 191, however, a new descriptive word, kafireen, is given to the subject to-be-killed for fighting in the Sacred Mosque. The word kafireen (disbelievers) can take two possible meanings:

a. Quraysh who is the reference in the previous verse and who is also the guardian of the Holy Shrine, and,

b. Specific people of Quraysh who disbelieved in the age-old sanctity of the Ka’bah and incurred violence within it. If Quraysh or those who disbelieved in the age-old sanctity of the Ka’bah fight you, only then do not be reluctant to kill them.

In either case, the word disbelievers in verse 191 cannot be taken to mean Christians nor Jews or any disbeliever other than Quraysh. Thus, the claim that Islam teaches violence is proven false. On the contrary, many see these two verses as ground for Islam’s quest for peace. Such that even when Muslims were commanded to fight in self defense, they were instructed to practice war-morality: Do not start a fight. But fight in the cause of God those who initially fight you, but do not transgress limits thereby expanding the circle of war. The word “limit” is interpreted by the majority of scholars as “limiting enemy’s loss only to their own.” Any more loss beyond that is considered transgression. Thus, the verse teaches Muslims not to start hostility and to use hostility-stopping techniques if war ever started.

Causing more damage to the enemy is an invitation to more violence. Furthermore, the Quran commands Muslims that if the opponents inclined towards truce, they are to seek an end to hostilities.

God said: {But if the enemy inclined to peace, then incline to it.} (Quran 8: 61)

“The Quran teaches that war is always abominable. Muslims must never open hostilities, …but, once they have taken a war, Muslims must fight with absolute commitment in order to bring the fighting to an end as soon as possible.” (209)

In order to do a fair study of the verse, again, its subject matter context must be considered along with other verses that were revealed with it. Additional consideration must be given to the events and time period in which these verses were revealed.
Re: 128 Killed In Yobe Boko-Haram Attack by Nobody: 5:50am On Nov 04, 2013
Muhammad was an evil terrorist.
;> my tots
Re: 128 Killed In Yobe Boko-Haram Attack by tintingz(m): 6:12am On Nov 04, 2013
Does the Quran permits muslims to kill innocent people? NO!

"Fight in the cause of God those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for God loveth not transgressors.(Quran, 2:190)"

"On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people. Then although there came to them Our apostles with clear signs, yet, even after that, many of them continued to commit excesses in the land. ( Quran, 5:32)"

"Those who invoke not, with God, any other god, nor slay such life as God has made sacred except for just cause, nor commit fornication; - and any that does this (not only) meets punishment. (But) the Penalty on the Day Of Judgement will be doubled To him, and he will dwell Therein in ignominy. (Quran, 25:68-69)"

"But if the enemy incline towards peace, do thou (also) incline towards peace, and trust in God: for He is One that heareth and knoweth (all things). (Quran, 8:61)"

"If thou dost stretch thy hand against me, to slay me, it is not for me to stretch my hand against thee to slay thee: for I do fear God, the cherisher of the worlds. (Quran, 5:28 )"

"God does not forbid you from showing kindness and dealing justly with those who have not fought you about religion and have not driven you out of your homes. God loves just dealers. (Quran, 60:8 )"

"And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for God. But if they desist, then let there be no hostility except against wrongdoers. (Quran 2:193)"

"Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from error: whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trustworthy handhold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things. (Quran, 2:256)"

"Again and again will those who disbelieve, wish that they had bowed (to God's will) in Islam. Leave them alone, to enjoy (the good things of this life) and to please themselves: let (false) hope amuse them: soon will knowledge (undeceive them). (Quran, 15:2-3)"

"Say, 'The truth is from your Lord': Let him who will believe, and let him who will, reject (it):......(Quran, 18:29)"

"If it had been thy Lord's will, they would all have believed,- all who are on earth! wilt thou then COMPEL mankind, against their will, to believe! (Quran 10:99)"

"Say: 'Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger: but if ye turn away, he is only responsible for the duty placed on him and ye for that placed on you. If ye obey him, ye shall be on right guidance. The Messenger's duty is only to preach the clear (Message). (Quran, 24:54)"

"Say : O ye that reject Faith! I worship not that which ye worship, Nor will ye worship that which I worship. And I will not worship that which ye have been wont to worship, Nor will ye worship that which I worship. To you be your Way, and to me mine. (Quran, 109:1-6)"

A reasoning person will see that the Quran does not contain killing innocent people but a guidance, the verses in the Quran that talked about fighting was during the time of Mohammed and disbeliever(pagans) that waged war on muslim but Allah permits muslim to fight back fo self-defense, killing innocent soul is a big sin in Islam.

If you non-muslim are not ready to understand the Quran and Islam but posting LIES and quoting verses out of context I will not reply until y'all are ready to understand Islam

Islam is Peace! smiley
Re: 128 Killed In Yobe Boko-Haram Attack by Swiftboy(m): 6:15am On Nov 04, 2013
@tintings was it only in Meccah Quran asked the muslims to wage war? Deny this that quran did not ask muslims to fight to take another country for allah.is mecah a country? If no then it means Prophet and his followers dissobeyed the quran. In a case where those pagans surrendered,you did not mentioned that they're made to convert to Islam oh.read my comment again so you wont get confused.
Re: 128 Killed In Yobe Boko-Haram Attack by tintingz(m): 6:30am On Nov 04, 2013
Swiftboy: @tintings was it only in Meccah Quran asked the muslims to wage war? Deny this that quran did not ask muslims to fight to take another country for allah.is mecah a country? If no then it means Prophet and his followers dissobeyed the quran.
Quran said about the battle between muslims and pagans which is a self-defense for muslims. Secondly Allah command muslims to fight back for self-defense if they are being attacked, this fight must be under a government or state leader rule.

In a case where those pagans surrendered,you did not mentioned that they're made to convert to Islam oh.read my comment again so you wont get confused.

The mekka pagans were persecuting muslims and waged war on muslims after Muhammeda(sa) migrated to medina.

Mohammed in Medina

The Muslim migrants turned to raiding Meccan caravans to respond to their persecution and to provide sustenance for their Muslim families, thus initiating armed conflict between the Muslims and the pagan Quraysh of Mecca.[9][10] Muhammad delivered Qur'anic verses permitting the Muslims, "those who have been expelled from their homes", to fight the Meccans in opposition to persecution (see Qur'an Sura 22 (Al-Hajj) Ayat 39-40
www.en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_in_Medina
Re: 128 Killed In Yobe Boko-Haram Attack by Nobody: 9:46am On Nov 04, 2013
tintingz: Quran said about the battle between muslims and pagans which is a self-defense for muslims. Secondly Allah command muslims to fight back for self-defense if they are being attacked, this fight must be under a government or state leader rule.

The mekka pagans were persecuting muslims and waged war on muslims after Muhammeda(sa) migrated to medina.

Mohammed in Medina

The Muslim migrants turned to raiding Meccan caravans to respond to their persecution and to provide sustenance for their Muslim families, thus initiating armed conflict between the Muslims and the pagan Quraysh of Mecca.[9][10] Muhammad delivered Qur'anic verses permitting the Muslims, "those who have been expelled from their homes", to fight the Meccans in opposition to persecution (see Qur'an Sura 22 (Al-Hajj) Ayat 39-40
www.en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_in_Medina

I see your passion and efforts, except that the realities before us is saying otherwise.

all over the world as at today, islam has established itself as a violent religion!
Every little thing is an excuse for violence.
Nigeria is not an exception you know.
Re: 128 Killed In Yobe Boko-Haram Attack by Swiftboy(m): 9:48am On Nov 04, 2013
Well you've answered a part not all the questions.I understand the mecca repraisal attacks. Compare this to Early Christian's dealings. Read Acts of the Apostles in the bible. Am still waiting for the excuses for fighting the other wars.
Re: 128 Killed In Yobe Boko-Haram Attack by Swiftboy(m): 10:02am On Nov 04, 2013
noblezone:

I see your passion and efforts, except that the realities before us is saying otherwise.

all over the world as at today, islam has established itself as a violent religion!
Every little thing is an excuse for violence.
Nigeria is not an exception you know.
the reason Islam is guilty is that its a one man revelation that can be percieved to be heretic at best...someone saw an angel {gabriel} in a trance in one desert to refute the reality of the gospel of Christ thats backed up by history and power that even exist today. I just think faith should not rub us of reasoning.Has it not been written that we test all spirits? Has it not been written that even satan can disguise as an angel of light? I respect Muslims for their faith but I just cant keep quiet! Soo sorry if it seems I've said things offensive soo far! Truth is bitter thats why.
Re: 128 Killed In Yobe Boko-Haram Attack by Nobody: 10:03am On Nov 05, 2013
tunshe: Noblezone, we've heard fables of this nature so many times. Tell us more!

@adepojut, your hatred for Islam and Mislims knows no bound.

You are always coming up to twist the Quran to suit your argument despite valid explanation by Muslims on this forum.

My advice for you is to desist because those that have followed your path in the past are in anguish both in this world and the hereafter.

Why? Simply because you are fighting a war with the creator of the Heavens and Earth.

Which of them is fables?

If you are referring to the incident of eclipse at Zaria, I was there live!
The moon turned red and they interpreted it to mean that Allah was angry with the sinners (as if they were without sin).
Re: 128 Killed In Yobe Boko-Haram Attack by Laytop2010(m): 2:22pm On Dec 04, 2013
Xtians are animals,dogs,lunatics and they deserve to be kill....while bible is the most corrupted book on earth...xtians are satanic followers
Re: 128 Killed In Yobe Boko-Haram Attack by makahlj2: 2:45pm On Dec 04, 2013
Laytop2010: Xtians are animals,dogs,lunatics and they deserve to be kill....while bible is the most corrupted book on earth...xtians are satanic followers
Boko Haram came to our humble forum, ROFLMAO. We were expecting you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Police Barricade Venue Of Kwankwaso's Presidential Bid Declaration In Abuja / $430 Million Enugu-Cameroon Highway To Be Ready Before End Of 2021- AfDB / Governor Abiodun Inspects The Ongoing Reconstruction Of Mowe-Ofada Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.