Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,015 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Children Calling Their Father By His Name - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Children Calling Their Father By His Name (17036 Views)

Why Do Fathers Like Calling Their Kids By Their Native Name? / What Is The Reason Why Grannies Like Calling Their Male Child Their Husbands / aa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Tobiegal(f): 4:14pm On Nov 15, 2013
Q.Mark:

Are you sure my wife is not Tobiegal on nl?

My 2 yr old calls my wife by name and calls me by my nick name which my wife also calls me.

Lolx... very funnie!!!
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by zolajpower: 4:15pm On Nov 15, 2013
Fulaman198:

That is also very disrespectful. Calling your father things like "man", "dude", "brother", etc. Just thinking about it infuriates me. Calling ones mother things like "sister", "sis", "aunty" I thought all these things were abominations in all Nigerian cultures. If I were a parent I dare one of my children to ever use terminology around myself or my future wife and see what happens.

Parents should teach children respect at an early age.
mr aproko is my hobby, atleast thing like 'Aunty, brother,dad,mum, sis e.t.c are english termnology how do u say them in ur language? Like yoruba wil say 'ido bale ko ni wa' so that is the way he wanted it. Remov d speck in your before u see ur neigbour's own

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Egbagirl(f): 4:15pm On Nov 15, 2013
koonbey: I believe there's nothing to it,It's all in their Relationship...their mutual Respect for each other.For instance; I was out one Evening,playing Video Games with Friends,one Friend's Mum called him and he picked and said[b]"MumC,how far?"..."okay,i don dey come"[/b],then promptly drop what he's doing and head for Home,while others would say"Mummy...yes Ma,I'm on my Way" and sit down comfortably for another Hour or more,all the while telling their Mums when they call that "I'm on the Way".

I say "hey what's up", "hey, ma" (not ma as in "yes ma" ) to my mom. in fact, she even says "what's up to us sometimes. We are chill like that. One time my lil bro started calling my mom and dad by their first names, they didnt beat him up. They laughed but told him not to do that. They didn't slap him and say "how dare you" or anything.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Gombs(m): 4:15pm On Nov 15, 2013
it is not an African thing and, i would not encourage it, though there is nothing wrong with it...

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by gbollykore: 4:15pm On Nov 15, 2013
colonial mentality!
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by mrdrizzy(m): 4:16pm On Nov 15, 2013
In this part of the world..its simpley illmannered,very disrespectful and so on.inshort its jst bad.imagine my pikin(when i get married) calling me "drizzy good morning".if d boy no chop beating dat day eh..hmm
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by deniyor: 4:18pm On Nov 15, 2013
OP
Sometimes we get too stuck up on name calling and titles. What matters is not what you think, but what the family feel comfortable and what works for them.
So whats your own business with who calls their parents by name? If you don't like it, let your kids call you what you like. To each their own. No one has to live by your own standards.

2 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by nerodenero: 4:20pm On Nov 15, 2013
dayokanu: Even Obamas daughters would never call him Barack
How you take know?

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Jaggiey: 4:21pm On Nov 15, 2013
Culturally wrong by Nigerian standard. However, personal dispositions may influence how it is handled. If the father in question sees nothing wrong and is not upset, we then cannot cry more than the bereaved. Naming calling may not necessary equate the children disrespecting their father. Infact, it could draw them closer. Perhaps, overtime the children may develop their values and stop calling their father by name. At an early stage, they may just repeat what they hear their mother call the man. Kids learn by observation. Personally in my view, it is odd to my system. May be I belong to the old skool...

My submission.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Fecodear(f): 4:24pm On Nov 15, 2013
At the END, there will come a TIME when these children wil be advanced in age and they wil be ashamed of THINGS like this, calling their dad by his name. Then they'll automatically re-adjust. SMH sadhmmm

2 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by IAMBREEZY: 4:24pm On Nov 15, 2013
That will ne'er happen and it can ne'er.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by sunkoye: 4:24pm On Nov 15, 2013
blank: How is it your business? The father is comfortable with it and you are here fuming and ranting about it.

Does it make you less of a person to hear your neighbour's kids calling their father's name?

Next time just cover your ears so you will hear no "evil".
no much issues about it cos its not my house! but wat is a bit worrisome is the fact that its coming from a yoruba family(we all know yorubas are respectful to the marrow). well, the most important thing is that FEMI should make it known to his wanabe Jet age children that there is a sharp contrast btw that he is teaching them and the reality outside. ppl outside will not give them a chance(at all) and this will disturb them psychologically.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by nerodenero: 4:25pm On Nov 15, 2013
mr.drizzy:
In this part of the world..its simpley illmannered,very disrespectful and so on.inshort its jst bad.imagine my pikin(when i get married) calling me "drizzy good morning".if d boy no chop beating dat day eh..hmm
That is the culture and some peeps here simply don't understand. If I plate my hair and look like Rastafarian, is it our culture? Many will term you irresponsible for plating your hair but in some countries, nothing is wrong with it. If you are in Rome, you behave like the Romans. If your culture/tradition permits it and your family sees nothing wrong in it, fine and if otherwise, you desist from it.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by mazizitonene(m): 4:25pm On Nov 15, 2013
Unaxeptable.....dats not african culture. There is a form of respect dat comes with calling ur dad eida dad, sir, pa instead of his real name...lyk I do call my mum mumc and she's ok with it...but dad of all ppl u wan cum try call am popc e don b 4 u now..ah neva even think am...na sir i dey call am. And d way we relate, we are very close! Closer 2 him dan my mum sef. Even his frnds wonder...

#2 us down here in africa itx disrespectful, dat guy wan form *jand* abi civilised
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by packman: 4:28pm On Nov 15, 2013
[size=20pt]FLOG THE CHILD
[/size]
[img]http://www.historynotes.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/flogging.jpg[/img]

[size=30pt]TILL THE BACK BECOMES LIKE THIS[/size]

[size=20pt]WHAT THE FUCCKK

IN NAIJA SUCH AN ABOMINATION THEY EXIST[/size]

[size=40pt]ORIE ETI BURU NI[/size]

[size=40pt]MA NUE KPA[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by tobbyrobson(m): 4:28pm On Nov 15, 2013
Haba! ibajee ni iyen keeeee... Tufiakwa!
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Egbagirl(f): 4:29pm On Nov 15, 2013
Jaggiey: Culturally wrong by Nigerian standard. However, personal dispositions may influence how it is handled. If the father in question sees nothing wrong and is not upset, we then cannot cry more than the bereaved. Naming calling may not necessary equate the children disrespecting their father. Infact, it could draw them closer. Perhaps, overtime the children may develop their values and stop calling their father by name. At an early stage, they may just repeat what they hear their mother call the man. Kids learn by observation. Personally in my view, it is odd to my system. May be I belong to the old skool...

My submission.

Fair enough and I agree that "to each his own". I do not would not advocate kids calling their parents by their first names. However, calling them "dad" and Mum" does not equate respect. They are your parents and they are not "dad'" and "mum" whether you like it or not so even if you don't call them that, it does not change who they are to you. That being said, I would rather my child called my by my name and accords me the due respect than call me mum and disrespect me.

Although, it would sound very weird if my child called me by my first name. In fact, it won't even happen. Igbaju ni mo ma fun ni straight. lol jk. Calling my bosses who are even older than my own father gan sef by their first name is even somehow for me but what can I do?

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Iaz93: 4:30pm On Nov 15, 2013
How about calling your Dad "papa", and at the end of the day you don't honour him? undecided

The name you call your parents shouldn't be a big deal, whether their birth names or the Papa ish.

As for me, I can't call my parents by their birth names. I just say "Mumc, how are you today"?

...the honour you give them is the innnnnnnn thing!

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by felzylix(m): 4:31pm On Nov 15, 2013
blank: Can you speak only when you're spoken to?
then u should go on a private chat

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Exponental(m): 4:31pm On Nov 15, 2013
U may call it choice, but I call it Rubbish!
Our tradition does not even allow a younger sibling disrespect d older talk of calling ur father his birth name, d man who donated his own "holywater" to mould u.....
I swear if I be neighbor, dat pikin no fit try call me by my name oooo else, he go dey recieve knock for head.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by mustaphagreens(m): 4:31pm On Nov 15, 2013
presently, my children call me by my name and sometimes my surname and i see nothing wrong with that, maybe it's just the mutual understanding between the duo that matters. Moreover calling me 'daddy' or some title meant for the elderly will make me appear old whereas i'm still a young man full of life.

3 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Lilimax(f): 4:31pm On Nov 15, 2013
I will never condone it sad.
It shows disrespect on the part of that child.
It's a rude behaviour in Nigeria culture...
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by mrakin(m): 4:31pm On Nov 15, 2013
All those whose children call by their first name got the rude idea from their mother. It is only a bastard child that lacks home training when it comes to showing respect. A well-trained child will not even try to call his/her elder brother/sister by name not to talk of parent.
What is this world turning to in the name of civilization?
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by mrakin(m): 4:33pm On Nov 15, 2013
mustaphagreens: presently, my children call me by my name and sometimes my surname and i see nothing wrong with that, maybe it's just the mutual understanding between the duo that matters. Moreover calling me 'daddy' or some title meant for the elderly will make me appear old whereas i'm still a young man full of life.
You are the real civilized person. Omo ale
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by nbright: 4:34pm On Nov 15, 2013
It's wrong... I call my father "daddy" till date... When he calls me, I answer "sir"... Calling him by his name is wrong..
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Tobiegal(f): 4:34pm On Nov 15, 2013
i think the issue to really be addressed is the age group the OP has expressed.

Definately, a child would call his folks dad or mom when they are grown up or above 5years and thereabt.

And, yes it my not be the culture to call parents by name, but, a child less than 5years can be permitted to in my opinion.

Besides, when you are the actual parent, trust me, all this talk abt culture and tradition would not even cross your mind, so the advise is that, you wait till you marry and have a child to fully say you know what you are talking about.

for me... its just alrite. He'l call me Mommy when he feels like... Reciting his alphbet, do you know what he associates the letter "R" to?

Yes, that mommy's name he puts there... and am so proud of him.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by mrdrizzy(m): 4:35pm On Nov 15, 2013
nerodenero: That is the culture and some peeps here simply don't understand. If I plate my hair and look like Rastafarian, is it our culture? Many will term you irresponsible for plating your hair but in some countries, nothing is wrong with it. If you are in Rome, you behave like the Romans. If your culture/tradition permits it and your family sees nothing wrong in it, fine and if otherwise, you desist from it.
enough with d ranting.culture wasnt mentioned.its just d way of life of africans.i was born through dat and i intend to enact dat on dem,no matter what,going biblical its also a grave sin,disrespect/dis-honour..so being called by my name,stands no ground in my path.call it uncivilized,fine bt thats how its gotta be.jst imagine me calling my dads old friend goodday joseph!!.absurd
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by mustaphagreens(m): 4:37pm On Nov 15, 2013
Exponental: U may call it choice, but I call it Rubbish!
Our tradition does not even allow a younger sibling disrespect d older talk of calling ur father his birth name, d man who donated his own "holywater" to mould u.....
I swear if I be neighbor, dat pikin no fit try call me by my name oooo else, he go dey recieve knock for head.

pls, could u explain the bolded? grin grin
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by mrdrizzy(m): 4:37pm On Nov 15, 2013
mrakin: All those whose children call by their first name got the rude idea from their mother. It is only a bastard child that lacks home training when it comes to showing respect. A well-trained child will not even try to call his/her elder brother/sister by name not to talk of parent.
What is this world turning to in the name of civilization?
i tire o.well said
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by cutebobo(m): 4:39pm On Nov 15, 2013
All I know is that one man's food is another man's poison. If the man is okay with it, fine! We all have different ways of keeping our family. But left to me, dis na africa and not america or any european country. Thank u

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by aAK1(m): 4:39pm On Nov 15, 2013
This reminder me of a time my grandparents came visiting. I am actually used to calling my dad chairman. On this faithful day, I came back home and greeted everybody in the living room including my grandparents. Then went across the room to Holla at my dad the usual way. I won't forget the kind of scolding I got from my grandfather that day.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Polio: 4:41pm On Nov 15, 2013
No big deal.

There are far more serious issues to worry about!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is It Compulsory For A Lady To Know How To Cook Before Marriage? / Telling The Truth: Can It Hurt Relationships? / Parents Learn Of Daughter’s Death On Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.