Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,942 members, 7,814,186 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

Children Calling Their Father By His Name - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Children Calling Their Father By His Name (17038 Views)

Why Do Fathers Like Calling Their Kids By Their Native Name? / What Is The Reason Why Grannies Like Calling Their Male Child Their Husbands / aa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by gabcomite(m): 8:55pm On Nov 16, 2013
let us face it, our culture doesnt giv room 4 such. But d fact is dat a child dat cals his father by name might nt lack respect.such child cud b very disciplined n honor is parent.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by cutieonyi89(f): 9:09pm On Nov 16, 2013
oops....my dad instructed us back then to call everybody by name even him! The only advantage is that whenever a child is being asked of his/her parent's name,they answer it correctly. Come to think of it,how would you feel if your friends addresses your parents by their names? Offended right? My opinion here is teach them the names for them to know not telling them to call you by name!
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by tintingz(m): 9:22pm On Nov 16, 2013
depressionkills:

I have realised that every time Africans disagree with one another, they are quick to use the 'inferiority complex' argument to make their case.
They do it with everything!! Clamor the need to respect 'traditions' when they themselves pick and choose what is 'tradition' TO SERVE THEIR INDIVIDUAL INTERESTS.
Shunning our traditional Gods for imported religions and rejecting our former way of living for a westernised life is OK and in line with our 'traditions' but a man asking his children to call him how he wants is a threat to a culture?? Really? I hope you are a traditionalist pagan yourself since 'African values' matter that much to you.

HYPOCRISY AT ITS FINEST!!

The way you speak of our collective identity is very telling of many of how us who have internalised the idea that we are a monolith and our identity is fixed in time, i.e. basically dead. Just like what that racist Sarkozy said!!

Why should any outsider define what amounts to respect in a parent-child relationship?
You clearly even disregard the authority of that man over his children.

Moreover, most African societies are so dysfunctional that it always kills me when people yap about values but we can all see how everyday life is devoid of it. We dont know what is happening in that house, it is not life the children insults him or anything.

All these threads about children calling their parents their name, indecent dressing, whit people screaming about values and morals when they are simply interested in POLICING AND CONTROLLING THEIR PEERS because they know tat they are absolutely powerless when it comes to what matters: The real moral moral, political and economic bankruptcy of our countries which are kleptocracies where lawlessness, injustice and abuse reign.

Please all of you stop infringing on the individual liberties of your peers in the name of 'traditions', moral and values, when you are absolutely toothless when it comes to addressing the real rot of our society and suffer from corruption-sexual-abuse-poverty fatigue. These are the real threat to our cultures not what others decide to do in the privacy of their homes.

[size=35pt]Seriously....what is this one saying??[/size] undecided undecided

[img]http://zeenike.files./2013/06/what-is-this-one-saying.jpg?w=300&h=300[/img]

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by tintingz(m): 9:35pm On Nov 16, 2013
Darkaengel:

Get wetin? If ur ma friend and cus I caLl ma dad by name you disrespect him don't you think ur d one who is morally bankrupt? Just asking....
LOLz am not talking about friends, What if you went to a shopping with your dad and you started calling him by his first name how will people know he's your father?
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Luckysoul(m): 11:18pm On Nov 16, 2013
Balley: My neighbour Mr Femi....., has 2 kids a boy about 4 years and and a girl 2 years.

They both call their dad Femi and not Dad. Initially i didn't know it was their dad that they were referring to, when i got to know, i asked my mum, why are these children calling their dad by his name and not Dad.

My mum said its what their dad want.

So that's was what lead to my curiosity to know why ask is children to call him his name.

What does a man stand to gain by asking his children to call him by his name, his own name oo, not surname, instead of daddy or father.
call my fada by him name na! Him go use knock scatter ur head
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by depressionkills(f): 11:37am On Nov 17, 2013
donroxy: @depressionkills
No One is Infringing on anyone here, tis not as if we knocked Femi's door and condemned him, we are all just ''discussing'' !!!

No Culture all over the world is perfect in supporting human existence and through the years we have all learn from one another as nations and with Globalisation, it seems the world is in our Hand !!!

What I actually condemned was what Significance odds lies in calling your mum ''Mummy'' and your dad ''daddy'' ? ...... It is understandable if there are Ills in doing so ... Whereas, Calling your popman by his name is frown @,@ the society level !!

Respect, is a very culture of Africa/Nigeria as such Respect as a concept vary from nation to nation .... Yoruba adage says ''what's legitimate in one's society is an abomination in another'' .......

We all Agreed that Calling one's father by his firstname is unusual in our society although,there is never any ill in that ...... The basis of my condemnation is how will the society acknowledge those children who call their dad by firstname and the pyschological implication of such on them !!!

It is not as if there are ills in calling one's dad, ''daddy'' !!!

I think there was a misunderstanding. My point was the following: When people with power commit crimes that wreck our society such as corruption, sexual and political violence and many other ills, NOBODY EVER LABELS THEM AS ANTI-AFRICAN.
None talks as much about morals, values, blablah culture, respect, how much rape and corruption are against our African heritage but whenever any commoner decides to live their life as they please and go a little outside of the norms, everybody is up in arms about how much we must protect our culture against the west. This is hypocrisy.

I have never in my life seen anyone labels the likes of Oduah or GEJ as anti-African or even infer that their behaviour represent a threats to our cultures and identities when the do. Basically what you said about westernization and values was absolutely unnecessary because as you pointed yourself, even westerners call the parents 'mum' and 'dad' and once again you have no clue about what goes on in that house, so you are not fit to condemn when you are unaware of their family dynamics.

It is a very serious attack to attack any one on their identity especially Africans on their Africaneity, considering our tumultuous history of colonisation and slavery. Yet these attacks seem to only be reserved to those committing the less significant minor 'offences' that are plainly within the realm of their individual liberties while those effectively destroying us all are let scott free.

bleeped up priorities of this kind that serves the strong and punish the weak are the biggest threats to our cultures!
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by depressionkills(f): 11:38am On Nov 17, 2013
tintingz: [size=35pt]Seriously....what is this one saying??[/size] undecided undecided

[img]http://zeenike.files./2013/06/what-is-this-one-saying.jpg?w=300&h=300[/img]

It is above your reach, let it go.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Dubemkelly(m): 9:07pm On Nov 17, 2013
tintingz: Gosh! Another awkward act calling your mother "sister" for real?? I can't even imagine that calling my dear mother sister? Was she ashamed of the "mum" calling or what?

Some people shaaa! undecided
Sharrap...Kids tend to call people wat dey do hear others call them,with time when they grow to their conscience, they get d whole gist,stop acting like u hv d best home training,u think respect is calling someone mum,uncle,dad,auntie n all worth not, it remains a thing of character.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 1:15am On Nov 18, 2013
@depressionkills

Atleast, U read the Op and the Title of the thread ''Children calling their father by his name'', so what is the concern of Gej;Oduah,Corruption with the Title of the Thread .... Is Gej's son calling him ''Ebele'' ?

Have u checked Politics section and u never see a thread castigating corrupt Officials , so what da hell does that have to do with the Op !!!

I pretended I didn't see your Oops the other time but that gave u the room to even bombarded me with longer balderdash !!!

U even attached Importance to the sh.it as if I have drawn pop-action against Femi and his children .....

Dude, always post to the thread and for the fact that a bigger crime is being committed somewhere that doesn't stop us from condemning a smaller one !!!

What is UnAfrican/UnNigerian is surely UnNigerian and what is Nigerian is Surely Nigerian .... That is why U hear Originality and calling your dad by his name is never one of 'em !!!

N.B Go to Politics section if u really wanna discuss OduahGate !!!

2 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by tintingz(m): 5:31am On Nov 18, 2013
depressionkills:

It is above your reach, let it go.
You are not making any sense, you don't have to bring your western enslave/colonial mentality to this thread keep that crap to your home.

Like someone said does obama's children call him 'barak'?
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by tintingz(m): 5:36am On Nov 18, 2013
Dubemkelly:
Sharrap...Kids tend to call people wat dey do hear others call them,with time when they grow to their conscience, they get d whole gist,stop acting like u hv d best home training,u think respect is calling someone mum,uncle,dad,auntie n all worth not, it remains a thing of character.
I'm not talking about kids, I'm talking about adults calling their mother 'sister'? How can I be calling my mother a 'sister' or a 'aunty' I can't even imagine that seriously! undecided

Yes the way you must call your parent should be in a respective way, even the media hardly call our president by his first name alone 'Jonathan' instead they say 'President' Jonathan why? Because he's the president, same goes to your dad he's your father not your mate.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Prospectff: 8:28pm On Jan 05, 2014
Was it not recently we moved from papa baba nna mama iya nne to the more fashionable daddy and mommy? now some people want kids to call parents by name, if you ask me I think we need to maintain our dignity by not imitating every thing the white man does. This television era has really muddled our senses.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by josite: 2:32pm On Dec 23, 2014
that father will eventually be the ruins of those kids becasue they are sure to call their dad peers names outside and really got busted out of a good place.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is It Compulsory For A Lady To Know How To Cook Before Marriage? / Telling The Truth: Can It Hurt Relationships? / One-year-old Survives Seven Days Alone With Dead Grandmother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.