Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,919 members, 7,814,094 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

Children Calling Their Father By His Name - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Children Calling Their Father By His Name (17037 Views)

Why Do Fathers Like Calling Their Kids By Their Native Name? / What Is The Reason Why Grannies Like Calling Their Male Child Their Husbands / aa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Danielle22(f): 5:41pm On Nov 15, 2013
I tink it a personal decision.......i knw of a girl dat stay in my frnds ous, she told her son 2 kal her aunty instead of mum cos of she didnt want pple 2 knw dat she has given birth.........xo wateva goes 4 d parent it dier choice.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Oluwaseytiano(m): 5:45pm On Nov 15, 2013
Fulaman198:

That is also very disrespectful. Calling your father things like "man", "dude", "brother", etc. Just thinking about it infuriates me. Calling ones mother things like "sister", "sis", "aunty" I thought all these things were abominations in all Nigerian cultures. If I were a parent I dare one of my children to ever use terminology around myself or my future wife and see what happens.

Parents should teach children respect at an early age.
i dont think so.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Reference(m): 5:52pm On Nov 15, 2013
donroxy: Sharrap there, stay there and form civilised when tis just a barbaric attitude !!!

Nobody is blaming the Dad nor the Kids but In Africa and Most especially in Yorubaland, it is quite frown @ !!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

All Those Little-Little things when Not checked begets adverse disrespect !!!

If Those kids should call their friend's father by his firstname then, Hot slap is what they got from their friend !!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Ur Children should be trained to fit into the Moral Situations in the society not to be @ odds with them in the name of advancement/civilisation !!!

I absolutely agree with the last paragraph. Your children will not live in a cocoon forever so while they grow it is important to prepare them for the society they are going to face and give them the tools to succeed.

If the values taught are entirely private and donot impinge on society, fine but if those values impact on their public persona and hence relationships they would blame the dad in future for a wrong perception, i.e. misleading them that such was 'cool'.

3 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Fulaman198(m): 5:57pm On Nov 15, 2013
Reference:

Ha ha. You never see anytin yet. Wait till e go reach pickin wey dey hail im papa 'yo nigga?

If that ever happened, I will send the child to a mental institute.

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Polio: 6:23pm On Nov 15, 2013
Fulaman198: I think it is an utter lack of respect to allow an offspring to allow them to call their father by their first name. No child should ever do that. Parents deserve the outmost respect.

Speak for yourself, calling your father or mother by first name doesnt mean they are not getting utmost respect...

And yes, it is UTMOST not OUTMOST, go and worry abour your command of the english language before you pull the last strand of hair out on your head over a trivial issue!
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Reference(m): 6:23pm On Nov 15, 2013
Danielle22: I tink it a personal decision.......i knw of a girl dat stay in my frnds ous, she told her son 2 kal her aunty instead of mum cos of she didnt want pple 2 knw dat she has given birth.........xo wateva goes 4 d parent it dier choice.

Hookay dun worry. When you're all grey at your son's wedding reception and he's going through the high table.... 'And that handsome nigga sittin right there is my father'.... (thunderous applause),....and that ravishingly pretty bit.... seated besides him is my mama... (thunderous applause).

Afterall aren't the kids supposed to take one's lineage to the next level.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Miner13: 6:29pm On Nov 15, 2013
Balley: My neighbour Mr Femi....., has 2 kids a boy about 4 years and and a girl 2 years.

They both call their dad Femi and not Dad. Initially i didn't know it was their dad that they were referring to, when i got to know, i asked my mum, why are these children calling their dad by his name and not Dad.

My mum said its what their dad want.

So that's was what lead to my curiosity to know why ask is children to call him his name.

What does a man stand to gain by asking his children to call him by his name, his own name oo, not surname, instead of daddy or father.
u're dey did nt called dia father name.
By name if u mean femi den u're rit, bt, dad femi ur mum clarify dat wel
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 6:35pm On Nov 15, 2013
My children would call me by my name, no big deal.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 6:37pm On Nov 15, 2013
I did called my mum by her name till i was 13. My frnd called his mum by her name too. After I started callin mine mum, my frnd started callin his mum "Aunt" uptil dis moment. Dat has not tempered wit our respect 4 em. My Dad calls me Guy/oboy until now. Any day he calls me by my name, I knw there something really serious he wants 2 say!
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Polio: 6:37pm On Nov 15, 2013
calebo101: My children would call me by my name, no big deal.

I dont understand the "kerfuffle" behind the issue.... Its a bloody name, let them use it instead instead of the battered dad and mum nonsense!
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Polio: 6:38pm On Nov 15, 2013
I dont see how some dumb fu..cks will see it as a lack of respect .. I just cant get my head round that crap!
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Miner13: 6:39pm On Nov 15, 2013
Is dis calin him by his name.
Hmmmmmm
tak a trip 2 d northern part nd wil show u hw dey cal dia parent by dia names.
Lik child calin his 'mum' ramatu, nd 'dad' ahmed,
witot dad or mum

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 7:08pm On Nov 15, 2013
Fulaman198:

That is also very disrespectful. Calling your father things like "man", "dude", "brother", etc. Just thinking about it infuriates me. Calling ones mother things like "sister", "sis", "aunty" I thought all these things were abominations in all Nigerian cultures. If I were a parent I dare one of my children to ever use terminology around myself or my future wife and see what happens.

Parents should teach children respect at an early age.

what wld u say if they call hin daddy,yet still disrespect him....
@ Op maybe Femi as lived abroad/adopts d western culture...me too love it either way...
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by EziAsh: 7:09pm On Nov 15, 2013
What is wrong with your child calling you by name.We have had cases where children got missing and fortunately were taken to the police and it was next to impossible to get their parents name ,you ask them what is your father's name ,my father's name is daddy(papa etc) mother's name mama(mum,mummy). Are you kidding me.Is it because we are so scared that if we teach our children our names they may use it to call us. I think the most important think is respect.The first day my daughter heard my mother call me by name she was just turning three she was existed and went ahead to call me by my name and i smile I thought now is the time for me to let her know our names so i started teaching her the father's and i names. Occasionally she will call me by my name because she is existed to find out that we all have got names not just mama and papa.She is loving and respectful and that is all that matters.On the other hand my brother was so infuriated that my mother was calling him by his name and his son will want to do same.I was like what do you expect your mother to call you now,he said she should call him 'pa nevile"I was shock and asked him so is that your name,when you were born they was no pa ,or daddy or what ever attached to your names.I think the problem we have is we are so consume with this authority thing that we loss focus of the essential thing.No number of papa,dad,daddy or mama will make you feel better if the child is unbelievable disrespectful.You will pray to God they even call you by your name and be respectful.Just thinking
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by tpia5: 7:14pm On Nov 15, 2013
which culture does that, we are all here to learn.

can someone enlighten us plz.

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by InHim4Him(m): 7:30pm On Nov 15, 2013
What does his wife and their mother think? Hope they will sustain it in time?
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by AZeD1(m): 7:34pm On Nov 15, 2013
Its funny how people say a child calling the father by his name means the children don't have respect. Calling someone 'dad' doesn't mean he is respected.
I have a friend who prostrates to greet his dad, when his dad he answers yes sir but this same dude has told me the only reason he hasn't killed his dad is because of his mother and sisters.

Once again i laugh at the notion of calling some dad means he is respected.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Fulaman198(m): 7:38pm On Nov 15, 2013
Polio:

Speak for yourself, calling your father or mother by first name doesnt mean they are not getting utmost respect...

And yes, it is UTMOST not OUTMOST, go and worry abour your command of the english language before you pull the last strand of hair out on your head over a trivial issue!

Go and worry about your command of your mother tongue and respect for your elders

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Fulaman198(m): 7:39pm On Nov 15, 2013
Oluwaseytiano: i dont think so.

Very vague statement
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by tpia5: 7:41pm On Nov 15, 2013
Fulaman198:

Go and worry about your command of your mother tongue and respect for your elders

i would have just banned him, very lousy fellow.

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by SU37fighter: 7:47pm On Nov 15, 2013
Polio: I dont see how some dumb fu..cks will see it as a lack of respect .. I just cant get my head round that crap!
Shut up,you polio-infested nematode.
If calling parents by their name is what is prevalent in your family,then keep it to yourself.
Stop insulting people that don't share the same views with you.

2 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by SU37fighter: 7:50pm On Nov 15, 2013
The child that will call me by my name has not been born.
What kind of rubbish is that?
I don't call my elders by their name,so i don't expect any yeye pikin to do that to me.

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Oluwaseytiano(m): 7:51pm On Nov 15, 2013
Fulaman198:

Very vague statement
calling someone dad doesnt mean respect
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by SU37fighter: 7:52pm On Nov 15, 2013
Oluwaseytiano: calling someone dad doesnt mean respect
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by SU37fighter: 7:54pm On Nov 15, 2013
Bullshitt.
Calling your father dad or papa is one of the ways of showing respect.

4 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by obinoral(m): 7:56pm On Nov 15, 2013
I will get back to you when i have a child.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Fulaman198(m): 8:30pm On Nov 15, 2013

I agree, but it is part of showing your father respect. Respect has many things that go alongside it, such as honouring your parents. Aiding them in whatever they may need aid in, showing them that you are there to serve them nonetheless. I personally my father 'father or baba' or my mother 'mother or yumma'. I have the utmost respect for both of them, and my showing of love to them can never be done by calling them by their first names. In y culture that would be considered abrasive behaviour (as it is in many other African cultures).
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Fulaman198(m): 8:31pm On Nov 15, 2013
SU-37fighter.:
The child that will call me by my name has not been born.
What kind of rubbish is that?
I don't call my elders by their name,so i don't expect any yeye pikin to do that to me.

100% agree with you

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Fulaman198(m): 8:32pm On Nov 15, 2013
obinoral: I will get back to you when i have a child.

LOL I don't have a child as well, but a lot of us when we become parents won't want this kind of thing to occur where there is a total lack of respect for ones parents.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 8:32pm On Nov 15, 2013
The mum probably calls her husband by his name. It's highly disrespectful and I wouldn't allow such in my family.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by salt1: 8:34pm On Nov 15, 2013
I think it's a cultural thing. No intention of annoying Yoruba folks but they value seniority and the titles that go with it. In fact, aunties and uncles are even identified, not by their names, but more annoyingly by towns of residence. Instead of Aunty Tolu, you hear her addressed as Mommy Ota (where she lives). Daddy Port Harcourt.
But they swear it's a form of respect and we let it be.
In some other cultures, a son will call his dad by his name and SURNAME as a sign of endearment during a conversation. This is notable among the Anambra Igbos where a son can call his dad " I know that you, Nnamdi Okeke will never stoop so low". And the dad will smile his approval
Obviously this Femi must have vehemently disliked his tradition or been punished for erring that he swore to do it differently with his kids.

Don't just try that aunty stuff with a Calabar woman! She will hate you for thinking she is that old!

2 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by joesally: 8:36pm On Nov 15, 2013
Fulaman198: I think it is an utter lack of respect to allow an offspring to allow them to call their father by their first name. No child should ever do that. Parents deserve the outmost respect.
the values of African culture is declining at the fastest speed of life.the children are been influence by western culture

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is It Compulsory For A Lady To Know How To Cook Before Marriage? / Telling The Truth: Can It Hurt Relationships? / One-year-old Survives Seven Days Alone With Dead Grandmother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.