Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,012 members, 7,814,455 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

Children Calling Their Father By His Name - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Children Calling Their Father By His Name (17040 Views)

Why Do Fathers Like Calling Their Kids By Their Native Name? / What Is The Reason Why Grannies Like Calling Their Male Child Their Husbands / aa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 4:41pm On Nov 15, 2013
not wrong for kids that have wizkid as dad
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by dannytwix(m): 4:41pm On Nov 15, 2013
winch pikins dem
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by AngelRaphael(m): 4:42pm On Nov 15, 2013
That is not good at all
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by simdam500(m): 4:44pm On Nov 15, 2013
Gwekzy: Abeg we shld nt dump our beautiful african culture...let our kids not imitate those disrespectful white kids..

did d op made mention of white WTF!
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by dejibimbo(m): 4:44pm On Nov 15, 2013
sum1 jam talked, anoda has inferiority complex from the comments above....i love nl sha....land of intellectuals...
My take on d issue...would agree wit a comment above....the kids will grow out of it.....its sumfin to frow at in our society...but for their age...lets just pardon it...@op tho this may b the start of a new trend, or the initialization of a foriegn norm into our culture....but its pardonable for the kids' age...
Naija...
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by dejibimbo(m): 4:46pm On Nov 15, 2013
simdam500:

did d op made mention of white WTF!
he need not mention 'whites' but 'that' is white in nature...or western in nature...
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by phtemie(m): 4:48pm On Nov 15, 2013
I don't understand how it's anyone's problem so far the father himself approves it..Though it speaks of lack of proper child training and irresponsibility on the part of the parents..But as per me,I can't condone such impudence.

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by MrAboki: 4:49pm On Nov 15, 2013
If I had ever called my Father by his name,.... This is what would have happened;

grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Ajibel(m): 4:52pm On Nov 15, 2013
Please what do most of you know about respect and who laid down the laws on how a kid should call his father Most of these things we call customs are just there as a guide not to totally dominate you. It's the wish of the kids father to be called by his name. That's an exception. It's only if he came to call your dad by his name that eyebrows should be raised. That is what your neighbor wants, deal with it and don't expect everyone to follow customs and traditions and nobody should dare mention its disrespectful to our custom!!! Many adults here do things contrary to our fore-father's tradition yet when a kid or a free-willed family does something against our belief, we flare up and remember that its our custom to call our dad's by the generic name - daddy and not by their name

2 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by emmabest2000(m): 4:52pm On Nov 15, 2013
SugaryBelle: Some men actualy choose to be called their first name and even insist,i have an uncle named Samuel who insist everyone calls him that,his children even call him Sammy,yet they are very respectful so its realy not disrespectful when its the man who choose it.
GBAM .... One man's meat is another man's poison .

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Odunharry(m): 4:52pm On Nov 15, 2013
YELLOW PAWPAW..Smh...wat ur business with that?it has bn our thing ryt 4m d days of our forefathers...so cos sme people prefer bn called aunty or uncle or watever dy like equates to bn in d stone age abi?na wah 4 u o..must u copy d westrners in evrything?
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Dyke004(m): 4:53pm On Nov 15, 2013
Well, for me, I don't think its that bad. It all depend on individual. It might not mean disrespect. I would want my children to call me by my first name with Mr. like Mr Dyke. I have already discussed that with my wife and I hope my daughter will kick start it when she starts talking.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 4:54pm On Nov 15, 2013
Nothing dey there. i call my dad by his nickname [not his real name sha] BTW, me and my dad bea the same name, that's why i find it awkward calling him by his name, but for my younger ones, they call him by his name. As long as you are not rude, i don't see anything wrong with it.

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Fulaman198(m): 4:54pm On Nov 15, 2013
zolajpower: mr aproko is my hobby, atleast thing like 'Aunty, brother,dad,mum, sis e.t.c are english termnology how do u say them in ur language? Like yoruba wil say 'ido bale ko ni wa' so that is the way he wanted it. Remov d speck in your before u see ur neigbour's own

Fulfulde language or Fulani language,

Aunty is kawiro
Brother is minaro
Father is Baba, Abba
Mother is Inna, Yumma, Dada, or Nene depending on the dialect of Fulani language
Sister is also minaro
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 4:54pm On Nov 15, 2013
PocketEconomist: Nothing dey there. i call my dad by his nickname [not his real name sha] BTW, me and my dad bea the same name cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy, that's why i find it awkward calling him by his name, but for my younger ones, they call him by his name. As long as you are not rude, i don't see anything wrong with it.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by BlackHuman(m): 4:56pm On Nov 15, 2013
All those critising the kids are just hypocritic, "eye service" specialits. Calling ur old man by his name doesn't make him any less of a dad. If u respect someone you respect him from your heart and it shows in your actions not by titles...haven't we all heard phrases like;"dady is stupid", "mom you are a fool",e.t.c. Recently, my mom tried to bring a new idea, saying my junior brodas should adress me as "broda blackhuman". I rejected it....i believe tru respect is earned.

3 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by talk2vic: 4:56pm On Nov 15, 2013
@OP so if u walk up to Mr Femi and ask him why he chose to be addressed as such, u'll drop dead abi?
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 4:57pm On Nov 15, 2013
Black Human: All those critising the kids are just hypocritic, "eye service" specialits. Calling ur old man by his name doesn't make him any less of a dad. If u respect someone you respect him from your heart and it shows in your actions not by titles...haven't we all heard phrases like;"dady is stupid", "mom you are a fool",e.t.c. Recently, my mom tried to bring a new idea, sayimg my junior brodas should adress me as "broda blackhuman". I rejected it....i believe tru respect is earned.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 4:57pm On Nov 15, 2013

I'm gonna have the most open and informal relationship with my kids. They get to call me whatever the f*ck they want. Awesome Father of the Millenium!
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 4:58pm On Nov 15, 2013
What about Old man & Woman
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Waspy(m): 5:00pm On Nov 15, 2013
Its plainly awkward and out-of-place in this part of the world. Lets call a spade what it is.. Even whites(that are collectively agreed to be liberal and culturally lax) have words like Dad, Pop, Father and the associated respect. I'm sure the children would stop it when they get older, even if the man condones it.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by youngice(m): 5:00pm On Nov 15, 2013
donroxy: Sharrap there, stay there and form civilised when tis just a barbaric attitude !!!

Nobody is blaming the Dad nor the Kids but In Africa and Most especially in Yorubaland, it is quite frown @ !!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

All Those Little-Little things when Not checked begets adverse disrespect !!!

If Those kids should call their friend's father by his firstname then, Hot slap is what they got from their friend !!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Ur Children should be trained to fit into the Moral Situations in the society not to be @ odds with them in the name of advancement/civilisation !!!
+10ⁿ50 likes

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by winnymoh: 5:01pm On Nov 15, 2013
Tobiegal: Scared to contribute, but still would.

I dont see anything wrong, for as long as the Parents are okay with it.

My 2years old son calls me by name whenever he feels like, and must say, he has done that a lot in public places...and i most certainly dont frown at it... calls his Dad by his nick-name, which is what i also call him.

I even think its cute sometimes, it means a lot to me that my child can identify me by name...my very own name... there is alot to mummy and daddy out there... that their names are so lost to their kids.

Just thinking, why the hurry to be called mummy n daddy when thats all you wld soon be known as.

Its just a phase @op... the kids would fall into the pattern when the tyme comes..

You are correct, why sld u be in a hurry to be called dad, mum. A child under 5 can still do dat. Most kids listen to wat pple call their parents and they do. I know a 2 yrs old girl that calls everything she sees baby, just because her mum often call d dad baby. Chill don't always have d mind of begging for respect rather command fo it as u deserve it.

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by KKImoh: 5:03pm On Nov 15, 2013
I call my dad "daddy" "sir" ,cos it would sound too corny and aweful to call em by his name, even thou me and him are very close, i mean too close, meanwhile i call my mum "mumcy" "mama" and she is kul wit dat. Unlyk the oyibos who would rada u cal them by their name, in africa esp. In 9ja it doesnt go that way, and if u learn 2cal yr parent by their name, the outsyd world{9ja] may not condone dat act. WHEN U'R IN R0ME BEHAVE LYK A ROMAM, WHEN U'R IN AFRICA, BEHAVE LYK AN AFRICAN
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 15, 2013
I don't mind my kids calling me by my first name... Nothing dey there. Anyone who doesn't like it... Thank God for lagos lagoon. Jump nside grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Fabjay(m): 5:14pm On Nov 15, 2013
For what.... Dem neva born dat pikin... I go so beat craze comot for any of ma child wey try dat....
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by optimism91(m): 5:17pm On Nov 15, 2013
There is no big deal, so long as the person is comfortable with it. After all, I call my mum, "sister", including her grand children call her by her "sister" as well. My uncle's wife use to address her mum as "Aunty". It depends on the individual and the origin of the name.

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by MrAboki: 5:25pm On Nov 15, 2013
If my child ever calls me by my first name;

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Ninapha(f): 5:28pm On Nov 15, 2013
Balley: . At least, ur frnd said mumc and not yemisi. Dis children practically cals deir dad Femi!!!
and is Femi complaining? Who tells u calln someone Dad or mum translates to respect. Dont be suprise of a great bond in dat simple closeness. Yes some children cd abuse it but hv u considered it may be what gives the 'Femi'joy. I love my parents to pieces and my dad was more than a father to me but i called him by his initials. H. A more often than dad.

Its a personal thing.

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:35pm On Nov 15, 2013
koonbey: I believe there's nothing to it,It's all in their Relationship...their mutual Respect for each other.For instance; I was out one Evening,playing Video Games with Friends,one Friend's Mum called him and he picked and said"MumC,how far?"..."okay,i don dey come",then promptly drop what he's doing and head for Home,while others would say"Mummy...yes Ma,I'm on my Way" and sit down comfortably for another Hour or more,all the while telling their Mums when they call that "I'm on the Way".
To call one's parents by their name is a total lack of respect. There's nothing to say to justify it.
Last Bullet:
If your mum's name is Kunbi. Will you call her Kumbi or MumC.
Remember, MumC is a modernized childish name giving to one's Mother. It still carry some respect unlike calling her by her name.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Reference(m): 5:38pm On Nov 15, 2013
Fulaman198:

That is also very disrespectful. Calling your father things like "man", "dude", "brother", etc. Just thinking about it infuriates me. Calling ones mother things like "sister", "sis", "aunty" I thought all these things were abominations in all Nigerian cultures. If I were a parent I dare one of my children to ever use terminology around myself or my future wife and see what happens.

Parents should teach children respect at an early age.

Ha ha. You never see anytin yet. Wait till e go reach pickin wey dey hail im papa 'yo nigga?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Telling The Truth: Can It Hurt Relationships? / One-year-old Survives Seven Days Alone With Dead Grandmother / Parents Learn Of Daughter’s Death On Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.