Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,863 members, 7,813,950 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:27 PM

Children Calling Their Father By His Name - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Children Calling Their Father By His Name (17035 Views)

Why Do Fathers Like Calling Their Kids By Their Native Name? / What Is The Reason Why Grannies Like Calling Their Male Child Their Husbands / aa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by tpia5: 8:40pm On Nov 15, 2013
Sal C: That's wrong, why would a child call his father by name. The parents should do something about it now.

I wonder o.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by 3kay945(m): 9:08pm On Nov 15, 2013
No cause for alarm, with age those name calling will be stopped.
My two years old still call me kayidey, i enjoy it.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Fulaman198(m): 9:09pm On Nov 15, 2013
joesally:
the values of African culture is declining at the fastest speed of life.the children are been influence by western culture

Yah and it is our job as people in the age group of 18 - 34 to make sure it does not happen.

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Dubemkelly(m): 9:44pm On Nov 15, 2013
Nothing absolutely wrong with that,it demands on what u wanna be addressed as nd not wat d society thinks its right or wrong....I do call my mum by her name tho funkified 'FLORA' n it doesn't change her from being d mum she is,I see her as a friend,colleague, bff, mother,girlfriend n even wife,I love her 2 bits n again my dad tho I call him by his title buh if I wanna tease him,I call him his name n this has kept our family going n bounded by love not where respect is over hyped n d result remains unspoken. Its a choice thing in raising ur family buh shud be done 2 accommodate others in dat relations take 'uncle,mr n d rest b4 their names.

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Adrenaline123(m): 10:02pm On Nov 15, 2013
Gwekzy: Abeg we shld nt dump our beautiful african culture...let our kids not imitate those disrespectful white kids..
you brain is moving round the clock I must confess.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by tintingz(m): 10:03pm On Nov 15, 2013
stevedure: I did called my mum by her name till i was 13. My frnd called his mum by her name too. After I started callin mine mum, my frnd started callin his mum "Aunt" uptil dis moment. Dat has not tempered wit our respect 4 em. My Dad calls me Guy/oboy until now. Any day he calls me by my name, I knw there something really serious he wants 2 say!
How does it sound calling my mother who brought me to these world after 9 month inside her my "aunt??" Gosh! So awkward and wired lipsrsealed undecided

Some people sha undecided

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by tintingz(m): 10:16pm On Nov 15, 2013
EziAsh: What is wrong with your child calling you by name.We have had cases where children got missing and fortunately were taken to the police and it was next to impossible to get their parents name ,you ask them what is your father's name ,my father's name is daddy(papa etc) mother's name mama(mum,mummy). Are you kidding me.Is it because we are so scared that if we teach our children our names they may use it to call us. I think the most important think is respect.The first day my daughter heard my mother call me by name she was just turning three she was existed and went ahead to call me by my name and i smile I thought now is the time for me to let her know our names so i started teaching her the father's and i names. Occasionally she will call me by my name because she is existed to find out that we all have got names not just mama and papa.She is loving and respectful and that is all that matters.On the other hand my brother was so infuriated that my mother was calling him by his name and his son will want to do same.I was like what do you expect your mother to call you now,he said she should call him 'pa nevile"I was shock and asked him so is that your name,when you were born they was no pa ,or daddy or what ever attached to your names.I think the problem we have is we are so consume with this authority thing that we loss focus of the essential thing.No number of papa,dad,daddy or mama will make you feel better if the child is unbelievable disrespectful.You will pray to God they even call you by your name and be respectful.Just thinking
At age three is not really composary since she's still 3yrs old she will catch up by calling you dad later. But calling you by names even when you are old with grey hair? Mehn... So awkward. You won't want your grand-children calling you by your first name...
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by obinoral(m): 10:19pm On Nov 15, 2013
Fulaman198:

LOL I don't have a child as well, but a lot of us when we become parents won't want this kind of thing to occur where there is a total lack of respect for ones parents.
my son calling me obinoral or Tboy. When i have son i will tell you my opinion

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by pjosh1(m): 10:21pm On Nov 15, 2013
Ma go do mistake call ma dad "patrick" na DIE GET ME!!.

As 4 me there's natin wrong if ma unborn children call me by my firstname

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by tintingz(m): 10:22pm On Nov 15, 2013
Dubemkelly: Nothing absolutely wrong with that,it demands on what u wanna be addressed as nd not wat d society thinks its right or wrong....I do call my mum by her name tho funkified 'FLORA' n it doesn't change her from being d mum she is,I see her as a friend,colleague, bff, mother,girlfriend n even wife,I love her 2 bits n again my dad tho I call him by his title buh if I wanna tease him,I call him his name n this has kept our family going n bounded by love not where respect is over hyped n d result remains unspoken. Its a choice thing in raising ur family buh shud be done 2 accommodate others in dat relations take 'uncle,mr n d rest b4 their names.
some people sha!

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by MeandSum: 11:16pm On Nov 15, 2013
They'll grow out of it. My eldest son used to call me by name until he was 2 or 3
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by nekaa(f): 11:38pm On Nov 15, 2013
We called both our parents by their names o, buh this was after we got much older nt at that tender age.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 11:50pm On Nov 15, 2013
End time is near!
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by ayyoshert: 5:26am On Nov 16, 2013
I can't help but wonder or ponder on how some 'too know' Africans tend to prove more civilised or more westernised than the Europeans/Americans or whatever. Don't let us forget our roots in spite of globalisation and all that. I tell you, the europeans or people from the descent who settled in America many centuries ago have culture. In a good family set up you do not call your dad by first name and so also your mum. I recall few years back, my dad had this American friend a professor of Philosophy who usually come visiting then, it was suprising one day when he corrected myself and my brother that whenever we write him a letter again we should add the title Uncle. Don't really want to
bother anybody with this story, but just to say we are getting it all mixed up thinking we are imbibing a better and more civilised culture, even the almighty wants a whole lot of regards when you refer to him. I can't imagine.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by daddyiel(m): 6:13am On Nov 16, 2013
While growing up we used to call my Mum sister!! she was comfortable with the name cox it came from her sibling that were staying with us, people where suprised buh we were still the most obedient and God fearing winkin the neighbourhood till everyone left house for dormitory (secondary school) That's how the name gradually died, buh then u dare think of calling my Dad anything aside(Dad) you will be dead in no time, buh i still saw people call there parents names in the name of familiarity. During Sec school (ss3)days i visited a classmate and i saw him playing gambling (card) with his dad i later found out they smoke (kush) together, share cloths and sometimes the man introduces himself as his brother... They are still best friends talking and doing everything together

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by iamdsam: 6:19am On Nov 16, 2013
I don't see anything wrong in it. The father instructed them to call him his name and he's also the head of the house. Though I've never stayed with mine for years, I believe it's just the way the father like to run his family but most people in Nigeria would deem it as disrespectful though.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by tintingz(m): 6:27am On Nov 16, 2013
daddyiel: While growing up we used to call my Mum sister!! she was comfortable with the name cox it came from her sibling that were staying with us, people where suprised buh we were still the most obedient and God fearing winkin the neighbourhood till everyone left house for dormitory (secondary school) That's how the name gradually died, buh then u dare think of calling my Dad anything aside(Dad) you will be dead in no time, buh i still saw people call there parents names in the name of familiarity. During Sec school (ss3)days i visited a classmate and i saw him playing gambling (card) with his dad i later found out they smoke (kush) together, share cloths and sometimes the man introduces himself as his brother... They are still best friends talking and doing everything together
Gosh! Another awkward act calling your mother "sister" for real?? I can't even imagine that calling my dear mother sister? Was she ashamed of the "mum" calling or what?

Some people shaaa! undecided

2 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 6:30am On Nov 16, 2013
Calling your dad 'dad' is not just a sign of respect, it shows some kind of relationship. Even oyibo peeps refer to their biological parents as dad and mum in a lot of cases except where there is a strained relationship or the father is actually a 'step dad' and he doesn't have a real relationship with the kids or he just prefers not to take their real dad's place. It's not common around here to have kids call their father by his first name, an alias, maybe... But Femi, Akin...e get as e be! But that's what he wants sha!
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 8:56am On Nov 16, 2013
Whoever you are Op I feel ur mentaly stagnant sorry for the insult. Why would u be pissed off by a family's wish that their kids call them by name? I have a 3 year old who loves calling me papa and at times she calls my name, I love her for it and am comfortable with it. If Nigerians don't like it to hell with the lot of you. Its my family and most of you parents who force kids to do this or that are just forcing them to conceal their anger and the spite they feel for you.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by tintingz(m): 9:20am On Nov 16, 2013
Darkaengel: Whoever you are Op I feel ur mentaly stagnant sorry for the insult. Why would u be pissed off by a family's wish that their kids call them by name? I have a 3 year old who loves calling me papa and at times she calls my name, I love her for it and am comfortable with it. If Nigerians don't like it to hell with the lot of you. Its my family and most of you parents who force kids to do this or that are just forcing them to conceal their anger and the spite they feel for you.
Hey Mr. Man watch what you say Not because you don't live here in Nigeria or accept our culture doesn't give you the notion to insult Nigerians...calling a father by his first name is not a africa thing and here in Nigeria we don't accept that we can't copy all what western are doing(even tho they also do the mum and dad calling). Your child is still 3yrs old she's still a baby nothing is wrong with that at that age but when he/she is getting above 5yrs old she should learn to call you dad not by your first name(she can jokingly sometimes) but the society will not accept that, kinda disrespectful act from any child imagine your child like 17yrs old shouting your first name in anger darkey!!! darkey!!! how will it sound in your ears?

Don't insult africans(Nigerians) because of your western enslave/colonial mentality if it's fine to you then keep that your home and don't come here with your "to hell with"! Hope you know what it mean?

Some people shaa!

2 Likes

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by viruz007(m): 9:48am On Nov 16, 2013
You people should take a chill pill. I have a colleague who is kids call him by his first name. He's their parent and it's his choice. If you can't understand y, den deal with it or inquire. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill. It's a choice.

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by EziAsh: 10:24am On Nov 16, 2013
We are fun of saying is an African culture.So do you think people in Europe will teach children to call them by their names.Or is respect only is an African thing.Respect is something that is universal.No parent whether black white or what ever color will want their child or nobody at that to disrespect them.The problem is the approach.Most Africans approach it as if it is a dictatorship or should i say authoritarian mind set.I am wondering why we call God by his name,each and every religion has their own name they use to call The almighty yet he is not sending us all on time out for calling him by his name.I certainly am thinking he is thinking of the context and not the content.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 11:53am On Nov 16, 2013
Balley: My neighbour Mr Femi....., has 2 kids a boy about 4 years and and a girl 2 years.

They both call their dad Femi and not Dad. Initially i didn't know it was their dad that they were referring to, when i got to know, i asked my mum, why are these children calling their dad by his name and not Dad.

My mum said its what their dad want.

So that's was what lead to my curiosity to know why ask is children to call him his name.

What does a man stand to gain by asking his children to call him by his name, his own name oo, not surname, instead of daddy or father.

Well, , seriously for me its cool that my kid who is only 2yrs & 5months calls me by name occasionally. And coincidentally am 'Femi too! But what he does is that he only calls me 'Femi after he has called 'dad' twice and I didnt respond, he does it simply to get my attention, and not to disrespect me. I actually tink its intelligent for a 2yr+ to know his dad and mom by name.

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by fbabs(m): 12:23pm On Nov 16, 2013
zolajpower: mr aproko is my hobby, atleast thing like 'Aunty, brother,dad,mum, sis e.t.c are english termnology how do u say them in ur language? Like yoruba wil say 'ido bale ko ni wa' so that is the way he wanted it. Remov d speck in your before u see ur neigbour's own
1 million likes
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 12:46pm On Nov 16, 2013
tintingz: Hey Mr. Man watch what you say Not because you don't live here in Nigeria or accept our culture doesn't give you the notion to insult Nigerians...calling a father by his first name is not a africa thing and here in Nigeria we don't accept that we can't copy all what western are doing(even tho they also do the mum and dad calling). Your child is still 3yrs old she's still a baby nothing is wrong with that at that age but when he/she is getting above 5yrs old she should learn to call you dad not by your first name(she can jokingly sometimes) but the society will not accept that, kinda disrespectful act from any child imagine your child like 17yrs old shouting your first name in anger darkey!!! darkey!!! how will it sound in your ears?

Don't insult africans(Nigerians) because of your western enslave/colonial mentality if it's fine to you then keep that your home and don't come here with your "to hell with"! Hope you know what it mean?

Some people shaa!

Ogbeni faraburuku bale. At this point I am really pissed. Do you equate name calling with being disrespectful? Do you realise in communication tone matters a lot? Ur kid can call you dad till hell freezes over yet he might not respect you. If you feel you want this or that in your family then go ahead fine, but remember the society is made up of families and some families don't like it that equals the trend slanting away from the fear people put in their kids. Respect borne out of fear is basically submission and not love. I respect my parents cus I love them and not out of fear. Draw a fine line, that's if u know what I mean..
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by tintingz(m): 3:10pm On Nov 16, 2013
Darkaengel:

Ogbeni faraburuku bale. At this point I am really pissed. Do you equate name calling with being disrespectful? Do you realise in communication tone matters a lot? Ur kid can call you dad till hell freezes over yet he might not respect you. If you feel you want this or that in your family then go ahead fine, but remember the society is made up of families and some families don't like it that equals the trend slanting away from the fear people put in their kids. Respect borne out of fear is basically submission and not love. I respect my parents cus I love them and not out of fear. Draw a fine line, that's if u know what I mean..
iwo na faraburuku bale grin...Yes communication tone matters a lot name calling is part of it, Calling dad and mum create a relationship bound between the parent and the children, calling an elderly person should be in a respectful way not only when you show you are respectful e.g like some title president, governor, chief, professor, king, queen is a honor to show who the person is...if you call your dad by his first name how will people know he's your father, how will they respect him? They will think he's your driver or just an uncle. grin Hope you get?
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by DIGISOL(m): 4:14pm On Nov 16, 2013
angry That's western mentality and not African. If my pickin try am with me e go hear wen undecided
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by depressionkills(f): 7:02pm On Nov 16, 2013
donroxy: Ur case is someone suffering from Inferiority complex thus believing everything that occurs in western countries should be replicate in your society simply because your people are of lesser mentality !!!while you are the one displaying lesser mentality here via Inferiority complex !!!

What odd is it in calling somebody who is older than you Aunty,Brother,Bros,Egbon and showing some respect, Is it not the same mouth with which U called somebody by their firstname u called them by those tags !!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

While I work amongst Westerners, they all call themselves by their firstname, I also Joined in calling them by their firstname even the one as old as my Granpa but I dare not call the Nigerians who are older than me by their firstname ............ Since, our culture and socialization(societal norms) already tagged it Offensive !!!

This is not Ritual killing,Attaching Importance to stone,cannibalism or holding some false believes ........ This is simply about Value and Norms which makes our society works !!!

Do in Rome as the Romans do and U won't have any Problem , U are the one that should get emancipated from Ill-Mentality here !!!

The Issue of Ph.d,Professor,Councillor,Chairman,Governor,President is that of Arrogance, Average Nigeria is arrogant and when such has a slight Opportunity over some of his mates/colleagues, U would know via his Loudness ......does that now have anything to do with calling your dad, ''dad'' or your dad senior brother as ''Uncle'' or Your Mum ''Mummy'' ......

Na same Oyinbo tell us say make we dey call them with those tags, abi e no dey dcitionary ?, we dey do am, yellow pawpaw still say na stone age we dey ahahaha ,I wonder whose mentality is dull here !!!

I have realised that every time Africans disagree with one another, they are quick to use the 'inferiority complex' argument to make their case.
They do it with everything!! Clamor the need to respect 'traditions' when they themselves pick and choose what is 'tradition' TO SERVE THEIR INDIVIDUAL INTERESTS.
Shunning our traditional Gods for imported religions and rejecting our former way of living for a westernised life is OK and in line with our 'traditions' but a man asking his children to call him how he wants is a threat to a culture?? Really? I hope you are a traditionalist pagan yourself since 'African values' matter that much to you.

HYPOCRISY AT ITS FINEST!!

The way you speak of our collective identity is very telling of many of how us who have internalised the idea that we are a monolith and our identity is fixed in time, i.e. basically dead. Just like what that racist Sarkozy said!!

Why should any outsider define what amounts to respect in a parent-child relationship?
You clearly even disregard the authority of that man over his children.

Moreover, most African societies are so dysfunctional that it always kills me when people yap about values but we can all see how everyday life is devoid of it. We dont know what is happening in that house, it is not life the children insults him or anything.

All these threads about children calling their parents their name, indecent dressing, whit people screaming about values and morals when they are simply interested in POLICING AND CONTROLLING THEIR PEERS because they know tat they are absolutely powerless when it comes to what matters: The real moral moral, political and economic bankruptcy of our countries which are kleptocracies where lawlessness, injustice and abuse reign.

Please all of you stop infringing on the individual liberties of your peers in the name of 'traditions', moral and values, when you are absolutely toothless when it comes to addressing the real rot of our society and suffer from corruption-sexual-abuse-poverty fatigue. These are the real threat to our cultures not what others decide to do in the privacy of their homes.
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 7:25pm On Nov 16, 2013
blank: Can you speak only when you're spoken to?
e dey bite U ?
Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 7:57pm On Nov 16, 2013
@depressionkills
No One is Infringing on anyone here, tis not as if we knocked Femi's door and condemned him, we are all just ''discussing'' !!!

No Culture all over the world is perfect in supporting human existence and through the years we have all learn from one another as nations and with Globalisation, it seems the world is in our Hand !!!

What I actually condemned was what Significance odds lies in calling your mum ''Mummy'' and your dad ''daddy'' ? ...... It is understandable if there are Ills in doing so ... Whereas, Calling your popman by his name is frown @,@ the society level !!

Respect, is a very culture of Africa/Nigeria as such Respect as a concept vary from nation to nation .... Yoruba adage says ''what's legitimate in one's society is an abomination in another'' .......

We all Agreed that Calling one's father by his firstname is unusual in our society although,there is never any ill in that ...... The basis of my condemnation is how will the society acknowledge those children who call their dad by firstname and the pyschological implication of such on them !!!

It is not as if there are ills in calling one's dad, ''daddy'' !!!

1 Like

Re: Children Calling Their Father By His Name by Nobody: 8:23pm On Nov 16, 2013
tintingz: iwo na faraburuku bale grin...Yes communication tone matters a lot name calling is part of it, Calling dad and mum create a relationship bound between the parent and the children, calling an elderly person should be in a respectful way not only when you show you are respectful e.g like some title president, governor, chief, professor, king, queen is a honor to show who the person is...if you call your dad by his first name how will people know he's your father, how will they respect him? They will think he's your driver or just an uncle. grin Hope you get?

Get wetin? If ur ma friend and cus I caLl ma dad by name you disrespect him don't you think ur d one who is morally bankrupt? Just asking....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is It Compulsory For A Lady To Know How To Cook Before Marriage? / Telling The Truth: Can It Hurt Relationships? / Parents Learn Of Daughter’s Death On Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.