Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,367 members, 7,815,784 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

Marriage Proposal Without A Ring - Romance (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Marriage Proposal Without A Ring (25516 Views)

This Lady Did All These To Her Man And Still Got A Ring! (photo) / Marriage proposal that Sent A Lady under the table (Photos, Video) / Pictures &Video:See The Marriage Proposal That Got A Lady Rolling On The Floor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by HisRib(f): 7:13am On Nov 19, 2013
Prince_Nwokeji: With or without a RING, a marriage or relationship not build on christ will bond to crash, RING is not the fonudamental tin, i don't believe in RING, cos its not in BIBLE. Lets leave the unnesessary tins and focus on tins dat matter. Gudmor.

You holy rollers are always picking and choosing what to believe based on what suits your angendas. We all know a marriage needs to be rooted in Christ to stand strong, but what does that have to do with getting your future wife an engagement ring?

What the heck is wrong with you people?
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by therealMcCain: 7:29am On Nov 19, 2013
An engagement ring is a ring indicating that the person wearing it is engaged to bemarried, especially in WESTERN CULTURE. In the United Kingdom , Ireland and North America , engagement rings are traditionally worn only by women, and rings can feature diamonds or other gemstones .

Although the ancient Egyptians are sometimes credited with having invented the engagement ring, and the ancient Greeks with having adopted the tradition, the history of the engagement ring can only be reliably traced as far back as ancient Rome.

In the 21st century, especially within WESTERN CIVILIZATION, it has become a common expectation for the bride-to-be to permanently wear her ring as a means to maintain their commitment.

The idea that a man should spend a significant fraction of his annual income for an engagement ring originated from DE BEERS MARKETING in an effort to increase the sale ofdiamonds . In the 1930s, they suggested that a man should spend the equivalent of one month's income in the engagement ring; later they suggested that he should spend two months' income on it.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by therealMcCain: 7:42am On Nov 19, 2013
based on the above, naija girls pls keep copying WESTERN CULTURE, until u loose ur identity

Pls imagine this conversation

Sharon: John Asked me to marry him & I turned him down

lizzy: why?

Sharon: cos he didn't give me an engagement ring

Lizzy: WOW, is John godly? does he have a good character? does he have prospect? is he hardworking?

Sharon: I didn't consider those things, all I want is a ring, if he is truly serious and really loves & respect me, he would have given me a RING

Lizzy: SMH

1 Like

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by HisRib(f): 7:43am On Nov 19, 2013
therealMcCain: An engagement ring is a ring indicating that the person wearing it is engaged to bemarried, especially in WESTERN CULTURE. In the United Kingdom , Ireland and North America , engagement rings are traditionally worn only by women, and rings can feature diamonds or other gemstones .

Although the ancient Egyptians are sometimes credited with having invented the engagement ring, and the ancient Greeks with having adopted the tradition, the history of the engagement ring can only be reliably traced as far back as ancient Rome.

In the 21st century, especially within WESTERN CIVILIZATION, it has become a common expectation for the bride-to-be to permanently wear her ring as a means to maintain their commitment.

The idea that a man should spend a significant fraction of his annual income for an engagement ring originated from DE BEERS MARKETING in an effort to increase the sale ofdiamonds . In the 1930s, they suggested that a man should spend the equivalent of one month's income in the engagement ring; later they suggested that he should spend two months' income on it.

In that case you should stop doing everything that is so called "Western Tradition," including being a Christian. Because, I remember correctly Christianity being introduced to Africans by the Europeans. We should stop wearing the white dress when we get married. We should stop driving all these European cars. We should stop wearing all these European clothes. We should just stick to what our ancestors used to do in the village.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by therealMcCain: 7:53am On Nov 19, 2013
HisRib:

In that case you should stop doing everything that is so called "Western Tradition," including being a Christian. Because, I remember correctly Christianity being introduced to Africans by the Europeans. We should stop wearing the white dress when we get married. We should stop driving all these European cars. We should stop wearing all these European clothes. We should just stick to what our ancestors used to do in the village.

That will be taking things too far, one should constantly strive to become better, I don't believe in AS IT WAS IN THE BEGINNING SO SHALL IT BE TILL THE END, that being said it doesn't mean I have to take everything about the WEST hook line & sinker.

I'll will only copy the good & the relevant things. Pls check the conversation I posted above, will it not be foolishness on the part of the girl to turn down a man just because of ring.

I can afford any ring but I won't buy one for any lady, if u so desire a ring go buy one for urself.

I guess at the end of the day, it's whatever rocks ur boat
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by HisRib(f): 8:01am On Nov 19, 2013
therealMcCain:

That will be taking things too far, one should constantly strive to become better, I don't believe in AS IT WAS IN THE BEGINNING SO SHALL IT BE TILL THE END, that being said it doesn't mean I have to take everything about the WEST hook line & sinker.

I'll will only copy the good & the relevant things. Pls check the conversation I posted above, will it not be foolishness on the part of the girl to turn down a man just because of ring.

I can afford any ring but I won't buy one for any lady, if u so desire a ring go buy one for urself.

I guess at the end of the day, it's whatever rocks ur boat

If you were a good man, you would be more concerned with what makes your girl happy. The right thing to say is, "if my girl wants a ring & it really means a lot to her, as her man I will buy it to make her happy. If she doesn't really want one, I don't see the need of buying it." That is the right thing to say. You African men are so inconsiderate and selfish. How do you even go into marriage with that type of attitude? You, clearly, are not ready for marriage.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:10am On Nov 19, 2013
This one is just a bag of inconsistencies.

in one post you are claiming holyrolling BS, the next you are bashing people for being holyrollers.
In one breath you are a modern day "high class" chick, the next you are an effing traditional nutcase

look whatever rocks your cradle biko. every man to his own. shebi na 15k dollar ring u want? ehn no problem na. God will grant you your hearts desire.

continue advocating for the weakminded f00ls we have here to join you in your "lord of the ring" ideology. There is absolutely nothing wrong in it if that's what works for you.

now you have had your fun, can you quit trolling NL and go and park your featherhead somewhere.

everything wey go up must surely come down. except no be this planet we dey again.

i will only advice you to be careful of what you preach lest in some future you discover that the pains of those you have mislead will stand against you. I honestly wonder if by the time you are 40 you will look back at small girls and give this advice to them.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by HisRib(f): 8:16am On Nov 19, 2013
4llerbuntu: This one is just a bag of inconsistencies.

in one post you are claiming holyrolling BS, the next you are bashing people for being holyrollers.
In one breath you are a modern day "high class" chick, the next you are an effing traditional nutcase

look whatever rocks your cradle biko. every man to his own. shebi na 15k dollar ring u want? ehn no problem na. God will grant you your hearts desire.

continue advocating for the weakminded f00ls we have here to join you in your "lord of the ring" ideology. There is absolutely nothing wrong in it if that's what works for you.

now you have had your fun, can you quit trolling NL and go and park your featherhead somewhere.

everything wey go up must surely come down. except no be this planet we dey again.

i will only advice you to be careful of what you preach lest in some future you discover that the pains of those you have mislead will stand against you. I honestly wonder if by the time you are 40 you will look back at small girls and give this advice to them.

I am not trolling anyone. I have the right to have an opinion just like you do. As I mentioned earlier, a reasonable man will not propose without an engagement ring. Ladies, if he gives you that "a ring is not important" line, please run as fast as you can.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by jacobsdiamond(f): 8:35am On Nov 19, 2013
All of you bagas who fink its worthless to propose to a woman without a ring...chop sand jorh! Why don't you try to make money without seeing the evidence of your sweat...crazy men in this house ! angry angry sad angry

1 Like

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by shostar: 8:39am On Nov 19, 2013
Well, I don't think the ring really matters, I proposed to my wife without a ring also but with an object that symbolises my sincerity of purpose (A Car).
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by HisRib(f): 9:15am On Nov 19, 2013
shostar: Well, I don't think the ring really matters, I proposed to my wife without a ring also but with an object that symbolises my sincerity of purpose (A Car).

A car? If I were her, I would've asked you to take it back & use the money to get me a ring instead.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Nobody: 9:56am On Nov 19, 2013
HisRib:

No ring, No engagement, No marriage. A man who has enough LOVE & RESPECT for me will propose with a ring because it's the responsible thing to do. If we don't end up getting married for whatever reason, I'll sell the ring or give it away to charity.
Are you saying you wouldnt accept the proposal of a man who loves you dearly cuz he didnt give you a ring and accept that of a guy who couldnt care less about you but got you a diamond ring[img]LOVE and RESPECT has gotten nothing to do with him giving you a ring....a guy will disrespect you if he wants to
Rings are cute though

1 Like

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by HisRib(f): 10:06am On Nov 19, 2013
AdeSuave:
Are you saying you wouldnt accept the proposal of a man who loves you dearly cuz he didnt give you a ring and accept that of a guy who couldnt care less about you but got you a diamond ring[img]LOVE and RESPECT has gotten nothing to do with him giving you a ring....a guy will disrespect you if he wants to
Rings are cute though

Why would a guy who doesn't love me or care about me propose in the first place? And on top of it all, present his proposal with a diamond ring? Does this even sound logical to you? I hope you understand, proposal leads to engagement and engagement leads to marriage. With that being said, what kind of man in his right mind wants to marry a woman he doesn't love or care about?

The only way a man would do that is if he's filthy rich, but even though he is rich, NO man will propose to a woman he doesn't care about. That simply doesn't happen.

Abeg, use your brain before you speak.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by therealMcCain: 10:07am On Nov 19, 2013
@HisRib
Pls where do u reside Naija or Yankee
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by HisRib(f): 10:11am On Nov 19, 2013
therealMcCain: @HisRib
Pls where do u reside Naija or Yankee

Why does that matter? I'm African, that's all that matters.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Nobody: 10:11am On Nov 19, 2013
guys gotta get xpensive rings

1 Like

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Nobody: 10:19am On Nov 19, 2013
HisRib:

Why would a guy who doesn't love me or care about me propose in the first place? And on top of it all, present his proposal with a diamond ring? Does this even sound logical to you? I hope you understand, proposal leads to engagement and engagement leads to marriage. With that being said, what kind of man in his right mind wants to marry a woman he doesn't love or care about?

The only way a man would do that is if he's filthy rich, but even though he is rich, NO man will propose to a woman he doesn't care about. That simply doesn't happen.

Abeg, use your brain before you speak.
i knew you were going to resort to cheap insults ...as long as he 'cares' about you and can provide you a ring.na to marry,congratulations dear....stop living in barbie land,wake up....ring is just a piece of metal,ask the battered wives and the divorcees who received rock-sized rings too

1 Like

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by lola4jah(f): 10:22am On Nov 19, 2013
nonsoyoungprof: my dear dnt allow dem to cripple or confuse u with dis there blabla talk ....tell d guy to go and get a ring even though na #100 naira own....it means a lot.....wen a guy says it doesn't mean....l guess something must be smelling fishy
of course,even if it z 50 naira own it signifys alot 2 thoes wu believe in it,wen people see dat ring it gives dem a clear appearance dat u belong 2 some1 already

1 Like

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by therealMcCain: 10:25am On Nov 19, 2013
HisRib:

Why does that matter? I'm African, that's all that matters.

It matters, if u were born or raised abroad, then I might understand ur perspective but if u live in Nigeria with this mentality, I feel it's out of sync with what's obtainable here
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by HisRib(f): 10:25am On Nov 19, 2013
AdeSuave:
i knew you were going to resort to cheap insults ...as long as he 'cares' about you and can provide you a ring.na to marry,congratulations dear....stop living in barbie land,wake up....ring is just a piece of metal,ask the battered wives and the divorcees who received rock-sized rings too

Ha! So the women who were proposed to without rings are immune to domestic abuse and divorce, right? Darling, I don't live in barbie land, I simply know what I want & there's nothing wrong with that.

I want a beautiful ring, ya dig?

End of discussion.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by HisRib(f): 10:30am On Nov 19, 2013
therealMcCain:

It matters, if u were born or raised abroad, then I might understand ur perspective but if u live in Nigeria with this mentality, I feel it's out of sync with what's obtainable here

I was neither born or raised in the west. Again, as I mentioned earlier, where I live doesn't matter. If it were normal for men to propose without rings in Africa, this topic would've never been started in the first place.

The young lady clearly started this topic because she found it odd that her man proposed ringless. So, please save all that "were you born/raised abroad" talk for the birds.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Sezua(m): 10:40am On Nov 19, 2013
my neighbour has been with an engagement ring for 4yrs now.....i tink i av no choice bt to join the ring community wen dat time comes
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by therealMcCain: 10:46am On Nov 19, 2013
HisRib:

I was neither born or raised in the west. Again, as I mentioned earlier, where I live doesn't matter. If it were normal for men to propose without rings in Africa, this topic would've never been started in the first place.

The young lady clearly started this topic because she found it odd that her man proposed ringless. So, please save all that "were you born/raised abroad" talk for the birds.

Whatever helps u sleep at night my dear!!!
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by rossete2020(f): 10:49am On Nov 19, 2013
its ok because its a symbol which signifies somone is behind shieldin others frm gettin closer provided d proposal is sincere bt if its nt den the ring bcoms nothin bt blockage
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Nobody: 10:49am On Nov 19, 2013
HisRib:

Ha! So the women who were proposed to without rings are immune to domestic abuse and divorce, right? Darling, I don't live in barbie land, I simply know what I want & there's nothing wrong with that.

I want a beautiful ring, ya dig?

End of discussion.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 19, 2013
HisRib:

And is wearing a white dress in the Bible? Is having a wedding ceremony in the Bible? Is paying the bride prize in the Bible?

Quit being a hypocrite.
Yes it is in the bible, where as your ring is not in the bible.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Nobody: 11:12am On Nov 19, 2013
What happens after you get the ring and you find out, he loves giving jewelry as an automatic leg spreader?

What happens to the ring when you find out years later you cannot remain married?

These are perspectives which show that the ring is nothing but a mere symbol, which is not capable of standing the real test of the institution of marriage.

A lot of women are interested in weddings in my opinion and not marriage. Marriage is a longer ceremony that takes years of emotional investment between 2 people. Weddings are the ceremonies that the world sees and that last just a few hours, where a facade is on display and anything goes just to keep up with the 'Jones'.

In my opinion either with the ring or without, make sure you are marrying a person who will commit fully to you.So if a ring cannot determine this, why must I do what others are doing, simply because they are doing it, when there is no evidence of sustainable results?
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Abee79(m): 11:33am On Nov 19, 2013
I proposed marriage to my wife over the phone because of the distance between us. yes, WITHOUT A RING. We've been HAPPILY married for three years.... cool
*Lesson learnt: NO MATTER HOW GLAMOROUS A [WEDDING OR ENGAGEMENT] RING IS, AND REGARDLESS OF THE CIRCUMSTANCE(s) IN WHICH IT WAS PRESENTED, IT IS USELESS AND IMPORTENT WHERE LOVE IS NOT SUPPORTED WITH UNCOMPROMISING COMMITMENT TO MAKE THE RELATIONSHIP WORK

2 Likes

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by tutulicious(f): 11:49am On Nov 19, 2013
Giving a ring depends on the person, but its a good way of letting other suitors without words know that "this one is taken". Just like in the supermarket you pick an item from the shelve and put it in your cart, you can change your mind and pick another. And return the first or go ahead and pay for it first.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by patriki(m): 12:07pm On Nov 19, 2013
Yes very important
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by pkween(f): 12:57pm On Nov 19, 2013
My question is ,at what point should d ring be given?is it in the secrete or in the presence of the parents?
sexkillz: It's over necessary sef. It show's the extent of your commitment to the said lady. Any proposal without a ring should be taken as a joke. More like ordinary hot air coming out his mouth like any other normal day.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Nobody: 1:02pm On Nov 19, 2013
Seun: Why not crowns? Crowns are more beautiful than rings. And more expensive too.

Putting a crown on her head will make the same statement, only much bolder! "You won't wear my crown? It means you don't lub me!"
lmao

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Wofai Fada Hot In "Wonder Woman" Themed Bikini / Why Do Many Young Girls Get Deflowered On Valentine's Day? / Guys Its High Time You Stopped Making Bad Generalization About Women.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.