Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,971 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:41 PM

Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial (66501 Views)

NASS Clerk And Saraki Snubbed Buhari‘s Request – Garba Shehu / Oritsejafor Snubbed As Sultan, Oonaiyekan Others Meet Over 2015-elections / Why Jonathan Didn’t Speak At Mandela’s Service – Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Nobody: 11:20pm On Dec 10, 2013
solomon111: Shut up and get lost.
Your botswana country of not more than 10million is a non-entity.
Definitely can't be compared to Nigeria in status,diplomacy or economy now or in the future.

You are stoopid. Botswana ofcourse can never be compared to Nigeria we are far beyond your reach. Please check our Pula against Naira its hundred times more. Now you shut up.

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Mannylex(m): 11:22pm On Dec 10, 2013
ceo4eva: I now strongly believe that this Jonathan's Administration Cultivates, Breeds, Nurtures, Fertilizes, Harvests, Packages, and Distributes CORRUPTION.
Click 'LIKE' if U Agree.
After thorough investigation, you also reek of corruption!

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by balladin: 11:26pm On Dec 10, 2013
Riba_man:

Let me spell out to you then:
Nigeria did a lot for the anti-apartheid movement than the countries that the bulk of today's speakers represent. My retired father has his own personal stories of what the Obj military regime did for ANC.
I think its not Jonathan that has suffered a snub, nope it's Nigeria that has been snubbed. How low this country has fallen!
This whole issue is being exaggerated. That Nigeria didn't get among the list of speakers IS NOT tantamount to a snub. Don't let this senational journalism get at you. What difference would it have made if we got the podium. Abeg, let this matter rest.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by depato88(m): 11:31pm On Dec 10, 2013
Honestly, they have serious self-esteem problems.
Do you know Zimbabwe contributed nearly ten times
more to the anti-apartheid struggle than Nigeria? I'm
not even sure Pa Mugabe was aware of the funeral
much less attending it or making a speech. I don't see
Zimbabweans killing themselves over any ''snub''.
Even countries like Angola which were among the
frontline states that even sent in men and material to
fight alongside the ANC, yet they weren't asked to
make a speech. Some of our people really have
problems.
If South Africa has any issues with Nigeria, it is more
of a competition thing for leadership in Africa etc....
With Nigeria set to rebase her GDP, it will make
Nigeria Africa's largest economy, with the benefits
that all brings in terms of investment and global
profile etc.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Nobody: 11:31pm On Dec 10, 2013
Pres. Jonathan was not snubbed, believe me it is you and I, all Nigerians and everything we stand for that got snubbed. Even at that, Nigeria was snubbed and y'all are laying into Jonathan are you therefore implying that all the world leaders that spoke at the event represent Countries with zero corruption
I can tell you for free that Nigeria was not snubbed because of all the reasons you implied, rather it is because we do not hesitate to pour scorn on our own government at the slightest opportunity, regardless of where we are, washing the proverbial 'dirty linen in public' as if these foreigners will help solve our problems us when we do that.
My point simply is that we should criticise the wrong doings of our government, stand up to them when and where necessary, but this should be done internally and not in the presence of outsiders who instead of offering a helping hand, rather see it as an opportunity to ridicule all of us irrespective of our political inclination or social status.
Mandela himself had very little respect for the blood-thirsty U.S. Government and famously labelled the British P.M. as the " U.S. Foreign minister". Let's call a spade, a spade. The SA Govt. goofed and that point should be made in very clear terms, yes "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth". We should encourage our Government to respond diplomatically, in a manner similar to the 'yellow card saga'.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by depato88(m): 11:35pm On Dec 10, 2013
Lilimax: Be it as it may, the bitter truth message has been sent to all Nigerians home and abroad.
The earlier we arise and re-build our nation and its dented image, the better for us.

It dosen't end at throwing insults on our President; we should do the bits we can individually
to move this nation forward....
Honestly, they have serious self-esteem problems.
problems.
profile etc.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by ogunwalea(m): 11:49pm On Dec 10, 2013
hmmmm...basic ingredients for world war.
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by kobikwelu(m): 11:49pm On Dec 10, 2013
This was not an Apartheid remembrance..it was a burial ceremony of Mandela..

How does our efforts to help South Africa in the past have to do with being recognized by giving a speech in Mandela's burial....

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by niyitogun(m): 11:51pm On Dec 10, 2013
I find this post a bit irritating. An African president (Namibia) is already speaking. Must everything be about Nigeria?.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Miles78(f): 12:03am On Dec 11, 2013
I just want to say, its easy now, when Obj or Buhari dies, snub South Africa. On the other news, it takes the likes of Mandela for 2 French presidents, 4 USA presidents, 3 British presidents, 2 UN commissioners to attend a memorial service in the South of Africa! The highlight of the day was the golden handshake between Raul Castro and Barack Obama... Peace is powerful!!

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Nobody: 12:04am On Dec 11, 2013
Ijawboy: Pres. Jonathan was not snubbed, believe me it is you and I, all Nigerians and everything we stand for that got snubbed. Even at that, Nigeria was snubbed and y'all are laying into Jonathan are you therefore implying that all the world leaders that spoke at the event represent Countries with zero corruption
I can tell you for free that Nigeria was not snubbed because of all the reasons you implied, rather it is because we do not hesitate to pour scorn on our own government at the slightest opportunity, regardless of where we are, washing the proverbial 'dirty linen in public' as if these foreigners will help solve our problems us when we do that.
My point simply is that we should criticise the wrong doings of our government, stand up to them when and where necessary, but this should be done internally and not in the presence of outsiders who instead of offering a helping hand, rather see it as an opportunity to ridicule all of us irrespective of our political inclination or social status.
Mandela himself had very little respect for the blood-thirsty U.S. Government and famously labelled the British P.M. as the " U.S. Foreign minister". Let's call a spade, a spade. The SA Govt. goofed and that point should be made in very clear terms, yes "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth". We should encourage our Government to respond diplomatically, in a manner similar to the 'yellow card saga'.

These Nigerian people are a serious joke. Thank God its just toddlers on NL otherwise that country id in deep shizz**. Imagine a governor of a big city like Lagos commenting on such crapp*? Jesus you are the light of the world, enlighten Nigeria darkness is upon them.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by thegoodjoehunt(m): 12:21am On Dec 11, 2013
kokoA: you are the one acting childish here bro. If only one Africa country were to be selected to pay tribute to Mandela, that country should be our country, Nigeria. I remember all the "free mandela" campaign all over the place while growing up. I never knew anything about politics then but I knew the name Mandela because of the way our people then talked about his freedom, I remember a popular song by a Nigerian artist titled "free mandela" which we all loved to sing during our play time. We should be asking ourselves what went wrong. Mandela stood for black people and if we as the most populous black nation in the world were reduced to mere spectators at his funeral then there's something "unmandela-like" we must have done to warrant this embarrassment.
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by greatgeo(m): 12:22am On Dec 11, 2013
@op must Nigeria speak? Out of over 90 head of state only few will speak so if we are not given that opportunity to speak no make any difference
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by illgreen(m): 12:25am On Dec 11, 2013
Read a few comment and am so disappointd, Nigerians are just 2 comfortable with poverty nd coruption. If Egyptians could fight just for increase in the amount 4 flour, i wonder what they'd do if odua'h was their minister for aviation..
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by afroconi(m): 12:36am On Dec 11, 2013
Okay nairaland... Im back!
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by mamagee3(f): 12:36am On Dec 11, 2013
Doesn't surprise me...

Goodluck Jonathan is the worst Nigerian leader after Abacha

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Nobody: 12:54am On Dec 11, 2013
ROSSIKE: Do you know Zimbabwe contributed nearly ten times more to the anti-apartheid struggle than Nigeria?
shocked shocked

The Zim of Robert Mugabe was not different from that of Ian Smith as it too continued to work with the apartheid regime. And the only Zimbo who stood by the ANC was none other than Dr Joshua Nkomo.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by MindofChrist: 1:14am On Dec 11, 2013
I think this serves our President right. Our leaders love to be heroes outside while the home front is rotten and they are the cuase of the rot. Only God know how much millions in dollars of d public money would go into d SA trip. Meanwhile, our young people have not been in schoo for almost half of d year. The mans should just come back. He really has no relevance there.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by king94(m): 1:15am On Dec 11, 2013
pitypec: The british were snubbed cos they were the chief instigator of apertheid. They are the root cause of it all. The iinternet is meant for research nw go read my friend na only nairalland u dey visit.
Okay. Why woz Angola, Libya and d other countries at d burial 'snubbed'. And for ur information, US were not such a close fwnd of Madiba nd dey gave a speech. Madiba preached tolerance, forgiveness and humility which is missing on this thread.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by jmaine: 1:20am On Dec 11, 2013
ceo4eva: I now strongly believe that this Jonathan's Administration Cultivates, Breeds, Nurtures, Fertilizes, Harvests, Packages, and Distributes CORRUPTION.
Click 'LIKE' if U Agree.

Over 400 dummies on nairaland liked this . . .Congrats bruv . . . . grin

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Nobody: 3:31am On Dec 11, 2013
callmenow: These fake and plastic comments are nauseating. NEXT. Nigeria came to the anti-apartheid party very late. This was not a funeral. It was just a service of thanks, called memorial. Get over it and move on in the direction of Oshodi. Would you like Nigeria president to come to your uncle's (or father, mother, etc) memorial service? And then make a speech? (A president who does not know your loved one) I don't think so. Cameron and Obama and blonde Danish PM (Thorning-Schmidt) were caught taking a 'selfie' in the middle of the ceremony. Nigeria will have split up, if Jonathan was caught in similar circumstances. Americans are happy that their Presido is relaxed to engage with others, the Britons were happy that their premier mixes with the in-crowd. Illiteracy and ignorance can be measured by the inability to comprehend or read between the lines, as well as speaking before thinking.
Did anybody see the look on Michele Obamas face as Barrack Obama was goofing around with that blonde Danish Pm Lol, Michelle was pissed like Wtf is going on here,
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Turbocharged: 3:39am On Dec 11, 2013
Abeg make we hear jare!

It it only a foolish and ungrateful fellow that will not say "thank you" to a mad person that helped in lifting his heavy load, simply because he is mad and dirty.

Who cares whether they give us tribute slot or not. A grateful heart is always a grateful heart. What have we done for Canada? Nothing. But read how much they appreciate Nigeria and Nigeria.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/nigeria/bilateral_relations_bilaterales/canada_drc-rdc.aspx

##SA should park well, joor##

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Turbocharged: 3:46am On Dec 11, 2013
mama-gee:
Doesn't surprise me...

Goodluck Jonathan is the worst Nigerian leader after Abacha

Did you miss road? Please you are supposed ti be in Romance Section.
Now, about turn!
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by jaytee01(m): 4:57am On Dec 11, 2013
taharqa: You reali are a DUNCE. Infact, worse than a Dunce; more like an Okpee. So cos Nigeria was not askd to give a Speech at Mandela's Birthday, it there4 means that GEJ Admin 'cultivates, breeds, grows, etc corruption'?? Lawd have Mercy!! If I said everytin I felt cos of this unbelievably stu.pid logic in my mind right now , Seun himself wud ban me for 55years....#KIDS
Hired lackey! We know you. Check the number of people who agree with that post n d number who liked yours to determine d FOOL!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by jaytee01(m): 5:45am On Dec 11, 2013
deeptesting: Many never understood the legacy of Madiba. If Madiba had the opportunity to select those who will speak on his memorial,i think he will give it to all those who stood against the freedom of black South Africans and not those who fought to bring it to an end. Sometimes,i sit back with a bottle of 1756 wondering how Nigeria,the most populous black Nation with rare breed of intellectuals got to these irreparable state.
We got to this state because most of those intellectuals can't be bothered to speak up when things go wrong or even participate in the political process. They leave governance to the dogs, the dregs of the society and then turn around to complain when things go wrong. Make a comparison of our political space, peopled as it is mostly by self serving, visionless,semi-literate jokes and nutured by a most sickening form of sycophancy known to man( read the hired goons patrolling on nairaland, spewing rubbish, who will never admit the dire straits to which our dear country has fallen, interested only in the crumbs they feed off Omokri and others of his ilk) and the countries we look up to and you will get an idea as to why we got to this sorry pass. Where those nations ensure that a rigorous and robust process throws up nothing but the best for political office, we are busy championing ethnic and regional causes, reasoning stupidly that certain people are entitled to hold office not on the strenght of their performance, vision and ideas but on the basis of where they come from.
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Biggyd2: 6:31am On Dec 11, 2013
Mr B Moon of the UN came up to speak, the crowd cheered,
Obama did too, and the crowd responded with a thunderous applause,
Then the SA president, tried his luck and they booed,
Just wondering what would have happened if GEJ tried to speak as well undecided

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by ogbronx(m): 6:49am On Dec 11, 2013
petrov 10: Nonsense post.

really? sure about that?
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by nairamaniac: 6:52am On Dec 11, 2013
fabulousdame:
sorry..i could choose to hate like some people.
buh tru it all..no place like home en pls dnt quote me unless u ve sometin reasonable to say.
thank u
nobody is hating you or our country. They are just disappointed. And we have meSsed up reputation to the extent that we were not well recognised during the occasion. We deserved better recognition than we got. I want to believe when u Say "there's no place like home". U are referring to the four-walls of your house. Cause its really messed up out there. Even the rich aint getting well enough of the government. Talkless of the poor or average.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by ogbronx(m): 6:52am On Dec 11, 2013
jaytee01: We got to this state because most of those intellectuals can't be bothered to speak up when things go wrong or even participate in the political process. They leave governance to the dogs, the dregs of the society and then turn around to complain when things go wrong. Make a comparison of our political space, peopled as it is mostly by self serving, visionless,semi-literate jokes and nutured by a most sickening form of sycophancy known to man( read the hired goons patrolling on nairaland, spewing rubbish, who will never admit the dire straits to which our dear country has fallen, interested only in the crumbs they feed off Omokri and others of his ilk) and the countries we look up to and you will get an idea as to why we got to this sorry pass. Where those nations ensure that a rigorous and robust process throws up nothing but the best for political office, we are busy championing ethnic and regional causes, reasoning stupidly that certain people are entitled to hold office not on the strenght of their performance, vision and ideas but on the basis of where they come from.
GBAM!!!!!!
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by Nobody: 7:03am On Dec 11, 2013
geeez: Sometimes, beyond the office, the personality determines the extent of your influence

If BRF was president, I'm not sure any serious nation would snub him like this

He's ruthlessly intelligent and aptly presidential

you are 1000% correct. majority of us didn't vote for pdp during d election, we voted for gej (personalty), we hoped for goodluck, when we voted for brf in 2007, we actually voted for ACN( then AC). what an irony, hope we are enjoying the good luck shining on our great nation.....
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by cautious: 7:06am On Dec 11, 2013
depato88: Honestly, they have serious self-esteem problems.
problems.
profile etc.

Correction - Mugabe was in the stadium and received a loud ovation from the crowd when he was introduced.
Of course it is a slight on Nigeria to be excluded from the list of tribute speakers. I think it is down to personal terms more than anything and I'm almost sure Obasanjo would have it to the podium if he was still president, same way Tony Blair would have been allowed to speak. Zuma selected his 'friends' but notice how even he, Zuma, was booed by his own people. The treatment he received was worse than the snub he meted.
Re: Jonathan Snubbed At Mandela's Memorial by mafolayomi(f): 7:11am On Dec 11, 2013
Hehehe, Nigerians wont learn, if this is true, then it is obvious that other countries of d world dont have regards whatsoever for this country. And here we are mourning Mandela even more than d south africans and his family. Same thing happened when Obama won d first time, we celebrated more than any other country of the world, but the same Obama came to africa and never cared to give us common phone call not to talk of visiting us. Thank God i dont usually give a Bleep about all this stuff

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Major-General Farouk Yahaya Poses In His Office (Pictured) / Why Tinubu Forfeited $460,000 In US — APC Tells Court / Ekweremadu's Kidney Donor Visa Application Letter To British High Commission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.