Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,202 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:33 PM

Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria (17631 Views)

Jonathan Will Win, APC Is A Fragile Anti-Jonathan Setup —Brookings / Jonathan Will Concede Defeat If He Loses - Presidency / “Jonathan Will Win 2015 Election But Be Cut Short” – Prophet Emmanuel Nwazuo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 6:39pm On Dec 14, 2013
The title of this thread will come as a rude shock to a lot of people considering the fact that i'm neither a sycophant nor a paid agent of Jonathan and what i'm about to say here is not necessarily related to developmental strides of Jonathan which is not obvious to a lot of us.

I won't join the bandwagon of those folks who keep telling us how Jonathan has changed Nigeria in his short stay as president. Jonathan is not a saint and has not lived up to the expectations of majority of Nigerians but neither did our past leaders including Obasanjo. But if there's one reason why i will want Jonathan to continue as our president, it's due to the fact that him being a president presents us with a new political dimension from what we've had for decades now.

Ordinarily, someone of Jonathan's caliber would not have mounted the exalted seat of the presidency if not for the fate that befell his former boss, Yaradua. When Yaradua was presented to Nigerians, those that chose him wanted a vice president for him and they wanted someone that would be seen but not heard. They needed someone who would do their bidding without asking questions. They had the opportunity of presenting the likes of Donal Duke, Peter Odilli who were more more popular as far as that region was concerned but instead they went for a Jonathan who was the governor of a Bayelsa state and who didn't exactly have the political clout as he got to that seat due to what befell his oga at that time.

So, we were presented with Jonathan and many of us top he would remain a figure head under Yaradua but as fate could have it, Yaradua died and Jonathan had to fill that void. I'm not sure this is what the political heavyweights or the cabals who put him there were expecting. They had a game plan and Jonathan becoming Nigeria's president couldn't have been part of the plan. The political atmosphere was boiling as at when Yaradua died and those in power were hesitating to give Jonathan the full powers to take up from where Yaradua stopped and that was because Jonathan did not belong to that caucus of political leaders who had held the nation to ransom and they knew Jonathan could squash their plans.

When they eventually gave Jonathan the power to become a substantive president, a lot of people were expecting him to cause a political revolution and this was what necessitated the protests by civil society groups for him to be made the substantive president. Some months after Jonathan was made the president, a lot of people were disappointed cos it seemed Jonathan was going the way of his predecessors and a lot of people called him a weak and ball-less president cos he was very slow at making decisions and they felt he was receiving order from God knows where. Over the years, i have watched Jonathan grow in confidence and it can be seen even in his boldness when being interviewed on TV.

Today, Jonathan has become more bold by the day and it seems to be that he has started making decisions independent of those cabals that put him there. I think this is the first step of moving away from the status quo. We have seen the ramblings in the letter that OBJ wrote Jonathan. We have also heard the likes of IBB, Atiku and other elder statesmen calling for the head of Jonathan. We have also seen people who we thought inherited PDP from their father moving over to the opposition party. I think this calls for celebration because when Satan criticizes someone then that person must be doing something right.

Jonathan may not be the best leader we can have. Far from it. But i think he represents a paradigm shift from the status quo that has been molded by the cabals who have held this nation to ransome since 1970.

134 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by MrKnowitall: 6:45pm On Dec 14, 2013
You did not really state how GEJ will be the catalyst of change in Nigeria. You have some reasons why he could but now how.

11 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:47pm On Dec 14, 2013
You admitted Jonathan hasn't done any meaningful thing, yet you think he should continue in office. If you were a professor and one of your students hasn't performed as expected, would you allow the student to go ahead to a higher class?

We all know Obasanjo is a very bad man but when Obasanjo was fighting those who vied against Jonathan in 2011, none of you had problem with Obasanjo.

25 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:48pm On Dec 14, 2013
gullible piece of crap, i opened this Page to read policies but end up with bull poo. Op you are a sycophant.

25 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by Abagworo(m): 6:48pm On Dec 14, 2013
Afam4eva: a lot of people were expecting him to cause a political revolution and this was what necessitated the protests by civil society groups for him to be made the substantive president. Some months after Jonathan was made the president, a lot of people were disappointed cos it seemed Jonathan was going the way of his predecessors and a lot of people called him a weak and ball-less president cos he was very slow at making decisions and they felt he was receiving order from God knows where. Over the years, i have watched Jonathan grow in confidence and it can be seen even in his boldness when being interviewed on TV. That was not the case some years back when he seemed like a shy little girl....CONTINUING

My reason for considering him a failure is exactly what you wrote above. People thought he would end corruption, tribalism and change Nigeria but his regime has turned out the worst in that. We expected a sincere SNC and not an SNC to discuss 2015 elections. Right now the country is more polarized than ever.

Yes he might bring about a bloody revolution sooner. Than expected because we are almost at the threshold. Obasanjo has exonerated himself from the wrath of the masses by repenting and writing a sensitive letter.

16 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 6:49pm On Dec 14, 2013
payless: You admitted Jonathan hasn't done any meaningful thing, yet you think he should continue in office. If you were a professor and one of your students hasn't performed as expected, would you allow the student to go ahead to a higher class?

We all know Obasanjo is a very bad man but when Obasanjo was fighting those who vied against Jonathan in 2011, none of you had problem with Obasanjo.
People do different things for different reasons. Obasanjo supported Jonathan because he saw Jonathan as someone he could pocket but he was wrong. Do you think Obasanjo would have written that letter if Jonathan was still saying "Yes Sir" to him? I doubt that very much.

47 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 6:52pm On Dec 14, 2013
Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 6:53pm On Dec 14, 2013
Abagworo:

My reason for considering him a failure is exactly what you wrote above. People thought he would end corruption, tribalism and change Nigeria but his regime has turned out the worst in that. We expected a sincere SNC and not an SNC to discuss 2015 elections. Right now the country is more polarized than ever.

Yes he might bring about a bloody revolution sooner. Than expected because we are almost at the threshold. Obasanjo has exonerated himself from the wrath of the masses by repenting and writing a sensitive letter.
He couldn't have changed Nigeria the way you want cos he didn't have a precedence of doing something similar. He's not a Fashola or a Donald Duke. The only thing i see him doing is to change the political landscape so that the political scallywags who have held this nation to ransom will not get anywhere near power again.

21 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by Abagworo(m): 7:04pm On Dec 14, 2013
Afam4eva:
He couldn't have changed Nigeria the way you want cos he didn't have a precedence of doing something similar. He's not a Fashola. The only thing i see him doing is to change the political landscape so that the political scallywags who have held this nation to ransom will not get anywhere near power again.

Afam you should understand that the real civil right activists and the masses have no interest in who is in power but on changing Nigeria. If APC wins in 2015 and continues with corruption, tribalism and religious intolerance the civil society and masses will still turn against them. Jonathan should remove his interest from power and build a legacy of changing Nigeria for good. Let there be real credible elections. Let anyone caught involved in corruption and tribalism be given an accelerated trial and jailed or killed. That's just all I want and I'm not seeing it.

Most governors are doing well in terms of infrastructure because Nigeria is earning more from oil and not because they are better managers than those who ruled when oil was $9. We need accountability and respect for human rights.

14 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by djon78(m): 7:04pm On Dec 14, 2013
Afam may God bless u, GEj is the first comon man to take the exalted seat of governance. For the past 40 years, Nigeria was ran by the sons of belial, abominable, wicked and devilish men. Nigeria has sold more than a trillion $ worth of oil, but nothing to show 4 it. Infact the position GEj dey in as Nija president is not something I will wish on my enemies. All I owe him is to continous pray for him, likewise all of us cos uneasy lies the head that wear the crown.

26 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 14, 2013
A whole lot of sentimental crap high on verbose ....

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by asha80(m): 7:12pm On Dec 14, 2013
abagworo not sure what you meant by obasanjo has repented.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by agbameta: 7:21pm On Dec 14, 2013
Afam4eva: The title of this thread will come as a rude shock to a lot of people considering the fact that i'm neither a sycophant

Is this a cruel joke? I almost stopped reading...

[s]nor a paid agent of Jonathan and what i'm about to say here is not necessarily related to developmental strides of Jonathan which is not obvious to a lot of us. I won't join the bandwagon of those folks who keep telling us how Jonathan has changed Nigeria in his short stay as president. Jonathan is not a saint and has not lived up to the expectations of majority of Nigerians but neither did our past leaders including Obasanjo. But if there's one reason why i will want Jonathan to continue as our president, it's due to the fact that him being a present presents us with a new political dimension from what we've had for decades now. Ordinarily, someone of Jonathan's caliber would not have mounted the exalted seat of the presidency if not for the fat that befell his former boss, Yaradua. When Yaradua was presented to Nigerians, those that chose him wanted a vice president for him and they wanted someone that would be seen but not heard. They needed someone who would do their bidding without asking questions. They had the opportunity of presenting the likes of Donal Duke, Peter Odilli who were more more popular as far as that region was concerned but instead they went for a Jonathan who was the governor of a Bayelsa state and who didn't exactly have the political clout as he got to that seat due to what befell his oga at that time. So, we were presented with Jonathan and many of us top he would remain a figure head under Yaradua but as fate could have it, Yaradua died and Jonathan had to fill that void. I'm not sure this is what the political heavyweights or the cabals who put him there were expecting. They had a game plan and Jonathan becoming Nigeria's president couldn't have been part of the plan. The political atmosphere was boiling as at when Yaradua died and those in power were hesitating to give Jonathan the full powers to take up from where Yaradua stopped and that was because Jonathan did not belong to that caucus of political leaders who had held the nation to ransom and they knew Jonathan could squash their plans. When they eventually gave Jonathan the power to become a substantive president, a lot of people were expecting him to cause a political revolution and this was what necessitated the protests by civil society groups for him to be made the substantive president. Some months after Jonathan was made the president, a lot of people were disappointed cos it seemed Jonathan was going the way of his predecessors and a lot of people called him a weak and ball-less president cos he was very slow at making decisions and they felt he was receiving order from God knows where. Over the years, i have watched Jonathan grow in confidence and it can be seen even in his boldness when being interviewed on TV. Today, Jonathan has become more bold by the day and it seems to be that he has started making decisions independent of those cabals that put him there. I think this is the first step of moving away from the status quo. We have seen the ramblings in the letter that OBJ wrote Jonathan. We have also heard the likes of IBB, Atiku and other elder statesmen calling for the head of Jonathan. We have also seen people who we thought inherited PDP from their father moving over to the opposition party. I think this calls for celebration because when Satan criticizes someone then that person must be doing something right. Jonathan may not be the best leader we can have. Far from it. But i think he represents a paradigm shift from the status quo that has been molded by the cabals who have held this nation to ransome since 1970[/s].[/quote]

This emotional and sentimental essay didn't address the country's problems and his inability to fix the problems...

Corruption is raging out of control and he's yet to lift a finger or do anything about it

1. Insecurity
2. Corruption
3. Institutional incompetency and unrest
4. Oil theft
5. Subsidy scam
6. Pension scam
7. Fraternization with crooks and corrupt people
8. Pardoning convicted felons and international fugitives
9. Filling top government positions with crooks and corrupt people still under efcc investigation
10. Encouraging tribalism and religious bigotry
11. Promoting unrests and instability
12. NNPC fraud
13. Oduah gate

>>>>>>>>>>>>>the list goes on.

He remains the worst president ever...

38 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by luvinhubby(m): 7:21pm On Dec 14, 2013
If there is one shift that I have observed under Goodluck, it is the wider acceptability of elections conducted under his watch, starting from the 2010 Anambra elections to the last one. The elections, so far, clearly reflects the opinion of the vast majority in the areas conducted.
What most of us do not understand is that there is a particular group of military officers and powerful civilians that participated in the events that led up to and the civil war itself that believes that Nigeria is a `spoil` of their war and that they will personally chose who governs it at their whims & caprices. People like Obj, Danjuma, Ibb, Jerry Useni, Buhari etc. And GEJ never featured in their strategy.
I agree that GEJ has not lived up to expections, neither has any of our past and present leaders, both PDP and APC governors included, but in Goodluck, I see a better opportunity for Nigeria to break free from the imperial shackles of these ungodly kingmakers and over-greedy political leaders.
The main reason for Niger delta militancy was not development, but the fact that more oil is been bunkered by the crooked politicians and retired soldiers than what Nigeria officially exports and the owners of this oil are not benefitting from it.
The purpose of the fury of the likes of OBJ, El-Rufai, IBB and these politicians is the fact the GEJ re-channeled the source of their crude oil bunkering to Niger Delta militants and is working hand-in-hand with them, hence the open access to free money has been taken away from them and they are fighting to get it back.
The only cause of any political maneuvering and conflict in Nigeria is about who controls the oil, legally and illegally and GEJ is the only one that has deprived these greedy fellows access to it.
Most of the issues raised against him can be summarized in two, security and justice delivery system, and we know that one was borne out politico-religious extremism and the other is an issue that needs strong legislation.
For me, I look beyond what GEJ has done or not done right or wrong, but what he represents for the future political leadership in Nigeria,an opportunity to break away from a greedy sink-hole of our immediate past political class.

42 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by awodman: 7:22pm On Dec 14, 2013
My sentiments exactly...he is not the best I would want as the president of this country,but he represents a paradigm shift,a break from the old order...

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by agbameta: 7:26pm On Dec 14, 2013
awodman: My sentiments exactly...he is not the best I would want as the president of this country,but he represents a paradigm shift,a break from the old order...

To even worst order....

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by juman(m): 7:27pm On Dec 14, 2013
"Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria"

Funny. grin

After two and half years out of four years.
Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by Abagworo(m): 7:27pm On Dec 14, 2013
asha 80: abagworo not sure what you meant by obasanjo has repented.

He knows that there might be an uprise in nearest future and feels Jonathan holds the key to aborting such uprise because most Nigerians believe Obasanjo is part of Jonathan's government.

He seems a very wise man to me. If you can recall the way he handled the "Sharia" issue in the North back in the days, you'll understand. That issue nearly polarized Nigeria but he took it gently and squashed it just like he did to the Jos crisis by cancelling the election and installing a commitee representing all groups in Jos North.
Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 7:31pm On Dec 14, 2013
Abagworo:

Afam you should understand that the real civil right activists and the masses have no interest in who is in power but on changing Nigeria. If APC wins in 2015 and continues with corruption, tribalism and religious intolerance the civil society and masses will still turn against them. Jonathan should remove his interest from power and build a legacy of changing Nigeria for good. Let there be real credible elections. Let anyone caught involved in corruption and tribalism be given an accelerated trial and jailed or killed. That's just all I want and I'm not seeing it.

Most governors are doing well in terms of infrastructure because Nigeria is earning more from oil and not because they are better managers than those who ruled when oil was $9. We need accountability and respect for human rights.
How can the people who have been ruling Nigerian for eons suddenly change. There won't be change except there a paradigm shift. What we need in Nigeria is a political change before every other things can fall into place. I'm not expecting much from Jonathan as afar as the economy etc are concerned. I'm happy that he has constituted a panel to look into the efficacy of constituting a National conference. Isn't that what a lot of Nigerians have been asking for? Would it have been possible if we had the same old politicians in power? The only reason he's giving us the National conference is because he represents a break from the status quo.

I'm also wary of the APC and that's because they're gradually becoming the new PDP imo. A paradigm shift is supposed to involve a change in personnel and not just party because most if not all parties were created with the same sick ideologies and by people whose sole aim is to seize power before anything else. What is the guarantee that voting APC will not be a reflection of the PDP years considering the fact that the same characters we have always clamored against are finding themselves to the APC. Let's learn to tell ourselves the truth.

19 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 7:32pm On Dec 14, 2013
djon78: Afam may God bless u, GEj is the first comon man to take the exalted seat of governance. For the past 40 years, Nigeria was ran by the sons of belial, abominable, wicked and devilish men. Nigeria has sold more than a trillion $ worth of oil, but nothing to show 4 it. Infact the position GEj dey in as Nija president is not something I will wish on my enemies. All I owe him is to continous pray for him, likewise all of us cos uneasy lies the head that wear the crown.
You really understand the issues and the bolded captures it.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by sammyzacks(m): 7:33pm On Dec 14, 2013
Hello guys,
Has it occurred to you that going against Obj alone is fight against corruption in itself? I totally agree with what the writer is trying to paint: a situation where the cabals of Nigeria are made useless and powerless. That is a bloodless revolution man!
He has distant listed PDP and all of that will eventually push out the bad eggs from political relevance.

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by takedat(m): 7:36pm On Dec 14, 2013
djon78: Afam may God bless u, GEj is the first comon man to take the exalted seat of governance.
What do you mean by 'the first common man to take the exalted seat of governance'? Jonathan is not a common man, he has always been a member of the wicked political elite. Did he from nowhere rise to become a President?

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:38pm On Dec 14, 2013
Afam4eva: The title of this thread will come as a rude shock to a lot of people considering the fact that i'm neither a sycophant nor a paid agent of Jonathan and what i'm about to say here is not necessarily related to developmental strides of Jonathan which is not obvious to a lot of us. I won't join the bandwagon of those folks who keep telling us how Jonathan has changed Nigeria in his short stay as president.

First off, let me thank you for this write-up. Just so you know, what attracted me here was your thought-provoking title.

While I agree that Jonathan's reign provides the perfect catalyst for change, I beg to differ with your conclusion about a preordained 'paradigm shift'. To be clear, in both body-language and deed, what Jonathan appears committed to is nothing more than a restructure of the polity, which replaces certain vested interests with new oligarchies.

To engender the kind of groundswell change you envisage, Nigerians would need to engage the system frontally, to ensure real dividends are delivered by the planned confab. If left to continue tuning the system along the lines we have no control over, Jonathan-the-catalyst may yet produce an all-consuming, cataclysmic reaction.

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 7:38pm On Dec 14, 2013
take dat: What do you mean by 'the first common man to take the exalted seat of governance'? Jonathan is not a common man, he has always been a member of the wicked political elite. Did he from nowhere rise to become a President?
He has not always been. Infact the likes of Amaechi, Odilli etc had more political clout than him before became president. He may not be a common man in the truest sense of the world but he's not part of the caucus that has held this nation to ransom. He comes across as an outsider to me else the likes of OBJ, IBB etc won't have a problem with him.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by sammyzacks(m): 7:40pm On Dec 14, 2013
take dat: What do you mean by 'the first common man to take the exalted seat of governance'? Jonathan is not a common man, he has always been a member of the wicked political elite. Did he from nowhere rise to become a President?

But he is right. Jonathan is a common man like me and you. He was raised to be a lecturer, never imagined he could be here today. Unlike the Generals who were groomed to take power by the gun.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 7:43pm On Dec 14, 2013
eGuerrilla:

First off, let me thank you for this write-up. Just so you know, what attracted me here was your thought-provoking title.

While I agree that Jonathan's reign provides the perfect catalyst for change, I beg to differ with your conclusion about a preordained 'paradigm shift'. To be clear, in both body-language and deed, what Jonathan appears committed to is nothing more than a restructure of the polity, which replaces certain vested interests with new oligarchies.

To engender the type of groundswell change you envisage, Nigerians would need to engage the system frontally to ensure that real dividends are delivered by the planned confab. Question is; are we even in tune with that development?

You may be right to an extent but i still think that's a good news. Any replacement that means that the old political guns like OBJ, IBB et al being made politically irrelevant is good news in my opinion. These are the few people who have held us by the jugular and exterminating them from poltical relevance will portend a paradigm shift will be consolidated by future president. Whichever way you look at it, it's still a step in the right direction.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by agbameta: 7:49pm On Dec 14, 2013
Afam4eva:
You may be right to an extent but i still think that's a good news. Any replacement that means that the old political guns like OBJ, IBB et al being made politically irrelevant is good news in my opinion. These are the few people who have held us by the jugular and exterminating them from poltical relevance will portend a paradigm shift will be consolidated by future president. Whichever way you look at it, it's still a step in the right direction.

And who are the new players he's shifting to? Maku, Gulak, Oduah, Obi and all the other corrupt clowns he's saddling us with? Just who are they and shift to where exactly?

I was expecting a serious thread, but obliviously as usual, this is another pointless comedic thread with zero honesty and substance......

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by takedat(m): 7:51pm On Dec 14, 2013
sammyzacks:

But he is right. Jonathan is a common man like me and you. He was raised to be a lecturer, never imagined he could be here today. Unlike the Generals who were groomed to take power by the gun.
OBJ, IBB, Abacha and others excluding Yaradua who was born into a wealthy family are like you and I. It was 'Ambition' that made Jonathan to quit his lecturing job to venture into politics, likewise those former military heads of state schemed their way to power by plotting and executing coups in order to fulfill their personal ambitions, or where they the only military men groomed to take power through the use of force? A 'Nobody' cannot become Deputy Governor, Governor, Vice President and President in Nigeria, you have to be a member of the political cabal.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:55pm On Dec 14, 2013
Afam4eva:

I see agbameta got to the more contentious statement in your post first.

Why do I get the impression you would consider a concentration of power in the hands of a Nigerian-Berlusconi, who owns huge chunks of the economy, a success? Do you not see the dangers this sort of gradualism portends?

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by omanzo02: 7:58pm On Dec 14, 2013
How do u expect GEJ to live up to full expectation with all the distractions and effort sabotage thrown in his path?, The cabals strategy is DON'T LET WORK SUCCESSFULLY and they won't give up without a fight, I foresaw this happening in 2011, it's Nigerians that should rally round GEJ to keep the cabals at bay, being the president and the powers at it disposals are not enough to win against the cabals, only when Nigerians are behind him the cabals will understand the game is over.

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by takedat(m): 8:02pm On Dec 14, 2013
Afam4eva:
He has not always been. Infact the likes of Amaechi, Odilli etc had more political clout than him before became president. He may not be a common man in the truest sense of the world but he's not part of the caucus that has held this nation to ransom. He comes across as an outsider to me else the likes of OBJ, IBB etc won't have a problem with him.
Did he from 'Nowhere' rise to become the president? No. Does he belong to the political elite? Yes. Is he not also holding the nation to ransom with his unbridled lust for power?

Did IBB not have problems with OBJ during the latter's reign as civilian president? Yet both are members of the cabal and 'insiders'. In Nigeria, Politics is a strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles, so the bickering in the political arena shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Be The Catalyst Of Change In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 8:05pm On Dec 14, 2013
take dat: Did he from 'Nowhere' rise to become the president? No. Does he belong to the political elite? Yes. Is he not also holding the nation to ransom with his unbridled lust for power?

Did IBB not have problems with OBJ during the latter's reign as civilian president? Yet both are members of the cabal and 'insiders'. In Nigeria, Politics is a strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles, so you the bickering in the political arena shouldn't come as a surprise to you.
Can you pls explain the bolded. Was he not elected by Nigerians and does the constitution not allow for two terms? it's not like he's asking for 3rd term.

Like i said earlier, Jonathan became the governor of Bayelsa by chance and also became Nigeria's president by chance. He's not your typical Nigerian politician. If all things were equall, then Jonathan would have probably being a local government chairman. Whichever way you look at it, he's a break from the norm politically.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Victoria Tayo Odumosu In Age Falsification Scandal (Photo) / Governor's Aides, Ebonyi Council Chairman, Lawmaker, Others Arrested / Akeredolu Congratulates Tinubu, Praises Other Aspirants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.