Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,626 members, 7,813,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:00 AM

Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements (24917 Views)

Buhari Taking Credit For Jonathan’s Achievements, Says Rep. / Buhari Has Already Surpassed Jonathan's Achievements - APC / President Jonathan’s Achievements In Infographics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by patrickmuf(m): 11:19am On Dec 19, 2013
TokyoBulls: Thank you, everyone for your contributions. I will recommend we remain civil, sane and issues based instead of attacking people. Now, let's go to the topic: GEJ has done some work as a President and there are more important achievements you can point to rather than rail system or some few patches on 7 roads. In terms of stabilizing the economy, the GEJ administration (especially with Sanusi, Ngozi and Aganga) have proved doubters wrong. The Nigerian economy is now stable and with GDP growing at 6.9%, Nigeria has been named one of the 4 investment destinations in 2014 as MINT - Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey. Also, GDP rebasing will be done in 2014 and by then, Nigeria will become the 26th largest economy in the world and the 1st in Africa with a GDP of $64trn. Third, the privatization of the power sector is long overdue and this administration has successfully handed over power to private companies.

Now aside these, there are a lot more people expect to see from a President whom they considered 'one of us' in 2011. Let me also list some of his undoings. One, under GEJ, corruption thrived more than ever to become deeply rooted as the bane of the Nigerian economy. It is not only that he has not fought corruption, he is also very corrupt. Let me give you examples you don't get to see everywhere. The reason Stella Oduah and Coscharis cannot be punished is because 'someone' owns 60% stake in Coscharis. Also, Coscharis has become the preferred supplier of all vehicles to FG agencies/ministries because of the same reason. Even Elizade, Globe Motors, etc now have to supply through Coscharis, Also, ask who gets rebates from FRSC on all new vehicle plate numbers. Dame P.

Second, all the achievements on the economy are clouded by the fact that they do not translate to job creation and wealth distribution. All we have is economic growth on paper without corresponding improvement in standard of living. He has not been able to increase the living standards of the people and that's a shame when the economy is going and he's even planning rebasing.

Third, no one else has spent the kind of amount GEJ is spending on INEC; yet there were too many basic issues with Anambra elections. Even though you can clearly say that Obiano is whom the Anambra people want, those teething issues leave room for the opposition to talk.

Fourth, he is one of the leaders we hoped would salvage the educational sector but under his watch, this sector has been glaringly neglected. Don't come here and tell me about Federal University, Nassarawa or Gusau. We have much more to do in terms of capacity and skill development especially in power. The new DISCOs have come out to say they don't have capable hands and therefore will have to invest. We had to wait for 5 months to re-open the universities. Polytechnics, Medical Doctors are still on strike.

Fifth and finally, he has not been able to clip down excessive use of and abuse of powers. I am totally against the title of 'Coordinating Minster for the Economy' for a minister. I think most of the people in this administration have abused and misused power starting from Diezani (subsidy), Stella Oduah (Coscharis), Dame P (plate numbers - who still threatened governors today), Tukur, Bode Gorge, Al-Mustapha, etc just keep the Nigerian mind in total epilepsy.

Nice post...Achievements and failure should always be placed side by side for all to judge...Gej supporters and haters, learn...
Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by patrickmuf(m): 11:20am On Dec 19, 2013
TokyoBulls: Thank you, everyone for your contributions. I will recommend we remain civil, sane and issues based instead of attacking people. Now, let's go to the topic: GEJ has done some work as a President and there are more important achievements you can point to rather than rail system or some few patches on 7 roads. In terms of stabilizing the economy, the GEJ administration (especially with Sanusi, Ngozi and Aganga) have proved doubters wrong. The Nigerian economy is now stable and with GDP growing at 6.9%, Nigeria has been named one of the 4 investment destinations in 2014 as MINT - Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey. Also, GDP rebasing will be done in 2014 and by then, Nigeria will become the 26th largest economy in the world and the 1st in Africa with a GDP of $64trn. Third, the privatization of the power sector is long overdue and this administration has successfully handed over power to private companies.

Now aside these, there are a lot more people expect to see from a President whom they considered 'one of us' in 2011. Let me also list some of his undoings. One, under GEJ, corruption thrived more than ever to become deeply rooted as the bane of the Nigerian economy. It is not only that he has not fought corruption, he is also very corrupt. Let me give you examples you don't get to see everywhere. The reason Stella Oduah and Coscharis cannot be punished is because 'someone' owns 60% stake in Coscharis. Also, Coscharis has become the preferred supplier of all vehicles to FG agencies/ministries because of the same reason. Even Elizade, Globe Motors, etc now have to supply through Coscharis, Also, ask who gets rebates from FRSC on all new vehicle plate numbers. Dame P.

Second, all the achievements on the economy are clouded by the fact that they do not translate to job creation and wealth distribution. All we have is economic growth on paper without corresponding improvement in standard of living. He has not been able to increase the living standards of the people and that's a shame when the economy is going and he's even planning rebasing.

Third, no one else has spent the kind of amount GEJ is spending on INEC; yet there were too many basic issues with Anambra elections. Even though you can clearly say that Obiano is whom the Anambra people want, those teething issues leave room for the opposition to talk.

Fourth, he is one of the leaders we hoped would salvage the educational sector but under his watch, this sector has been glaringly neglected. Don't come here and tell me about Federal University, Nassarawa or Gusau. We have much more to do in terms of capacity and skill development especially in power. The new DISCOs have come out to say they don't have capable hands and therefore will have to invest. We had to wait for 5 months to re-open the universities. Polytechnics, Medical Doctors are still on strike.

Fifth and finally, he has not been able to clip down excessive use of and abuse of powers. I am totally against the title of 'Coordinating Minster for the Economy' for a minister. I think most of the people in this administration have abused and misused power starting from Diezani (subsidy), Stella Oduah (Coscharis), Dame P (plate numbers - who still threatened governors today), Tukur, Bode Gorge, Al-Mustapha, etc just keep the Nigerian mind in total epilepsy.

Nice post...Achievements and failure should always be placed side by side for all to judge...Gej supporters and haters, learn...
Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by jamace(m): 11:23am On Dec 19, 2013
skiguy123: With all these alleged achievements...there iz stil massive unemployment in d country(46.5%). The so called youwin and sure-p are nufin buh a big failure. His administratn go about creatin headlines on media claimin that he has employed many youths tru d graduate internship programs usin d sure-p funds whereas abt 1.3trillion has bn embezzled by his administration. You guyz should wake up plz. I am not askin u to vote 4 anybody buh lets jux cal a spade a spade..evendou d future of d youths of 2day has bn compromised by his admistration..lets hope our children wil av a brighter tomorow...
My friend, if only you know that the problem of unemployment has been there decades before GEJ came to power, you will appreciate his efforts in tackling the problem. Problem of unmployment is an accumulated issue which GEJ inherited and he has put up many avenues to reduce the unemployment, such as SURE-P, YOUWIN, etc. In fact, the 6 Federal Universities which GEJ establshed have provided employment for many Nigerians.

Note that governance is a journey, not an end. It is not a hundred metres dash, it is a marathon. Be a genuine partner in this journey of governance by acknowleging good works and also making known areas of deficiency so that they can be tackled.

My advice to all is that we should ignore politicians who are out to spoil the works of others. By God's grace some of them have been tested and we have their report cards with us, which are far from satisfactory.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by fabulous4u: 11:23am On Dec 19, 2013
patrickmuf: Nice post...Achievements and failure should always be placed side by side for all to judge...Gej supporters and haters, learn...
word
Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by thirdeye(m): 11:25am On Dec 19, 2013
I don't really like commenting most on this kind of post because of namecalling, but I will like to state that Lagos-Ibadan road is under reconstruction and expansion by two contractors of which Julius Berger is one. I plies Lagos Ibadan road minimum twice a week to and fro. I used same route yesterday.

1 Like

Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by phizzle017(m): 11:26am On Dec 19, 2013
See chipmunks posting comments.......if GEJ is working Nigerians wont be complaining. Ya'll should wait tillAPC comes to turn around the economy and fortunes of Nigerians
Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by patrickmuf(m): 11:26am On Dec 19, 2013

1 Like

Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by Godmann(m): 11:31am On Dec 19, 2013
I am yet to see a road that is completed by GEJ. Since 2009, they have been working on Enugu-Onitsha-PH road, that road is yet to be completed.

Lagos-Ore road has always been bad despite all lies.

Lagos-Ibadan Road is too bad.

Lokoja-Abuja is perpetually being done; even before GEJ.

Starting from Abacha, they have always lied to be reworking our rails; yet we are yet to see any serious work.

GEJ is too corrupt and inept and I do not want him. GEJ has failed to secure us - ditto Boko Haram; he cannot even appoint a capable Defence Minister. He is clueless and I do not want him

1 Like

Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by jmaine: 11:31am On Dec 19, 2013
thirdeye: I don't really like commenting most on this kind of post because of namecalling, but I will like to state that Lagos-Ibadan road is under reconstruction and expansion by two contractors of which Julius Berger is one. I plies Lagos Ibadan road minimum twice a week to and fro. I used same route yesterday.

Thank you bruv . . .People just stay in their caves and regurgitate their lies to the dismay of the informed public . . . .

I hope that impeccable fool dhelake takes note. . . .
Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by Nobody: 11:32am On Dec 19, 2013
So eventually this thread made front page? What a pleasant surprise.

3 Likes

Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by Newcrescent(m): 11:33am On Dec 19, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: @OP..,let me enrich this thread with additional information. Here some of the things GEJ has done/is doing in the north (northwest, northcentral and northeast)

Ehn ehn, I dey clap O.

You don't even know the difference between right and privilege.
You don't have to be myopic on Governance.
You need to tackle issue holistically and not pick just segment that suits you.

I rest my case, aburo Jonathan.
Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by shizzle11(m): 11:33am On Dec 19, 2013
tobex_23:

I guess its know use arguing with you!! Cos you surely would have been given ur #1,500!! Don't qoute me again!!
no
The more you talk, the more you expose your level of illiteracy and idiocy, all in a bid to impress your fellow doltish clowns.

1 Like

Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by ogene70: 11:33am On Dec 19, 2013
agbameta:

Ar you not the same mindless double ID OP? Cheap intellect people...

Here they come, long awaited...!
Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by udoka2013: 11:36am On Dec 19, 2013
Which APC? God forbid
Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by shizzle11(m): 11:37am On Dec 19, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: So eventually this thread made front page? What a pleasant surprise.
Brother do not be discouraged. You and I know if this was a GEJ bashing thread, it would have eclipsed 20 pages by now, but because the APC goons and touts never see anything good about GEJ, they will desert the thread like a plaque.

1 Like

Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by Gbawes: 11:38am On Dec 19, 2013
shizzle11:
Brother do not be discouraged. You and I know if this was a GEJ bashing thread, it would have eclipsed 20 pages by now, but because the APC goons and touts never see anything good about GEJ, they will desert the thread like a plaque.

We all know it.
Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by jmaine: 11:39am On Dec 19, 2013
Godman_n: I am yet to see a road that is completed by GEJ. Since 2009, they have been working on Enugu-Onitsha-PH road, that road is yet to be completed.

Starting from Abacha, they have always lied to be reworking our rails; yet we are yet to see any serious work.

GEJ is too corrupt and inept and I do not want him. GEJ has failed to secure us - ditto Boko Haram; he cannot even appoint a capable Defence Minister. He is clueless and I do not want him

Lie 1= GEJ wasn't in charge 2009.

Lie 2 = the Onitsha -Owerri road was completed by GEJ, even roads around the Ebonyi-Cross River Axis has been fixed by GEJ.

Lie 3 = Benin - Ore road is in good shape with the exception of a very minor part. Hitherto 9- 12 hours journey from Lagos - Benin has been shortened to 4 hrs.

Serious work is on going in Lagos-Ibadan route and the contractor's are actively on site.

Lie 4 = The railway hitherto dead is now working even transporting fuel.

Your views on GEJ is subjective even though laced with obvious lies I corrected.

4 Likes

Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by sammhi(m): 11:42am On Dec 19, 2013
Ore-Benin is good ..just one hour I just cant believe it..Benin especially..... the work done at the road entrance to Benin is wonderful..GEJ well done. the Lagos-shagamu part need to be fixed though.
OBJ letter makes no meaning to me..because nothing was working when GEJ took over. I live in Lagos and I was so unhappy that even Lagos -Sango-ota road is in bad state all through the years of OBJ the very road that leads to his farm....what can be more annoying than that..also
I ply that road often from ikeja to egbeda and in 8 years of OBJ the road is filled with potholes causing untold traffic...but happy to know that since GEJ, the potholes get fixed on time... and for about a year now no potholes btw ikeja and egbeda..

End to fuel scarcity: this is the best achievement so far for GEJ ...during OBJ 8 years it was end of year yearly torment ..infact traveling was nightmare in Benin and port Harcourt, the petrol prices were high and unavailable but I must commend GEJ for ending the perennial and persisitent fuel scarcity and fluctuating prices all through OBJ 8 years.....you can hardly spend 3 months without fuel scarcity in OBJ era..

rule of law[/b]OBJ tenure was characterised by total disregard for the rule of law. The high point was kidnapping of governor NGIGE by civilians(uba) and yet the kidnappers were dining with the president,OBJ . what a president! the rule of law is upheld firmly by GEJ
[b]weaknes
GEJ needs to be firm and decisive in action and this weakness is what the Enemies of Nigeria are using against him. GOD knows they wont succeed.amen
So now, OBJ ,buhari ,Bakare and TINUBU has become friends(APC) because of GEJ ..so what are his sins? for not being an imperial president or for blocking their avenue for looting..?
no doubt, some looting are still occurring in this regime , but better to shut the most dangerous ones...first
I must also commend gov Amosun who works wonder on the bye pass road from sango throu ota town...that road was a mess during GBENGA DANIEL tenure and for those who do some business btw ota and Lagos will testify

4 Likes

Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by Omooba77: 11:50am On Dec 19, 2013
Godman_n: I am yet to see a road that is completed by GEJ. Since 2009, they have been working on Enugu-Onitsha-PH road, that road is yet to be completed.

It is a lie,I passed Lagos-Ibadan Expressway road thrice in the last 2months;there has been considerable improvement. A new lane is there just after Ogere.............

1 Like

Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by Toktee(m): 11:50am On Dec 19, 2013
jmaine:

And you felt your few lines of nothing is enough to counter the robust presentation of the OP and others.

We can't hear properly, please bark some more . . . . cool
i dnt talk to e-agbero,park well pls
Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by Feraz(m): 11:52am On Dec 19, 2013
jmaine:
Lie 3 = Benin - Ore road is in good shape with the exception of a very minor part. Hitherto 9- 12 hours journey from Lagos - Benin has been shortened to 4 hrs.
This I can confirm. I remember leaving Benin-city around 2 and arriving Lagos around 6:15pm. I was shocked and wondered if I really arrived Lagos at the above time.
Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by ayd91(m): 11:52am On Dec 19, 2013
It is clear GEJ needs a better Public relations team.
The current one is cr+ap. That's if he has one.
This thread is informative.

2 Likes

Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by jmaine: 11:52am On Dec 19, 2013
Toktee: i dnt talk to e-agbero,park well pls

Another acceptance of your futility to bore us with emptiness.

We know already
Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by Robertbh(m): 11:53am On Dec 19, 2013
Yes he has tried but we need change...... Simple
His government is too corrupt
Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by Slyp: 11:57am On Dec 19, 2013
The main problem I have with gej is the fact that he encourages curruption. The aviation he claims to have achieved some thing good if properly investigated you will find out that many thing has gone under the drain and that is the reason Nigeria is under serious debt. Imagine a minister buying car of that sum and yet gej felt she did well to have bought such cars. Only God knows what they must have spent in executing these projects
Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by Omooba77: 11:59am On Dec 19, 2013
phizzle017: See chipmunks posting comments.......if GEJ is working Nigerians wont be complaining. Ya'll should wait tillAPC comes to turn around the economy and fortunes of Nigerians
As they have done in Lagos, Ogun and Osun and Ekiti......................
Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by jmaine: 12:00pm On Dec 19, 2013
Feraz: This I can confirm. I remember leaving Benin-city around 2 and arrived Lagos around 6:15pm. I was shocked and wondered if I really arrived Lagos at the above time.

When the road is even less busy,doing a lil below 4 hrs does happen.
Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by Validated: 12:01pm On Dec 19, 2013
Robertbh: Yes he has tried but we need change...... Simple
His government is too corrupt

Change to what?? Where is the corruption? The ones being decanted by the accuser?
Wake p guy. Support this transformation move. If OBJ did half of these in 12yrs, we would be a good country.

1 Like

Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by hunter21(m): 12:02pm On Dec 19, 2013
IbokUtoroh: GEJ is just like LIONEL MESSI, they hate him cos he is too good. GEJ more grease to ya elbow n may God continue toenrich u wif d wisdom to lead this great country to her height.
no i think is like ronaldo. the more they underrate him, the better he performs.
Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by udoka2013: 12:02pm On Dec 19, 2013
GEJ ride on! My vote for you come 2015
Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 19, 2013
sammhi: Ore-Benin is good ..just one hour I just cant believe it..Benin especially..... the work done at the road entrance to Benin is wonderful..GEJ well done. the Lagos-shagamu part need to be fixed though.
OBJ letter makes no meaning to me..because nothing was working when GEJ took over. I live in Lagos and I was so unhappy that even Lagos -Sango-ota road is in bad state all through the years of OBJ the very road that leads to his farm....what can be more annoying than that..also
I ply that road often from ikeja to egbeda and in 8 years of OBJ the road is filled with potholes causing untold traffic...but happy to know that since GEJ, the potholes get fixed on time... and for about a year now no potholes btw ikeja and egbeda..

End to fuel scarcity: this is the best achievement so far for GEJ ...during OBJ 8 years it was end of year yearly torment ..infact traveling was nightmare in Benin and port Harcourt, the petrol prices were high and unavailable but I must commend GEJ for ending the perennial and persisitent fuel scarcity and fluctuating prices all through OBJ 8 years.....you can hardly spend 3 months without fuel scarcity in OBJ era..

rule of law[/b]OBJ tenure was characterised by total disregard for the rule of law. The high point was kidnapping of governor NGIGE by civilians(uba) and yet the kidnappers were dining with the president,OBJ . what a president! the rule of law is upheld firmly by GEJ
[b]weaknes
GEJ needs to be firm and decisive in action and this weakness is what the Enemies of Nigeria are using against him. GOD knows they wont succeed.amen
So now, OBJ ,buhari ,Bakare and TINUBU has become friends(APC) because of GEJ ..so what are his sins? for not being an imperial president or for blocking their avenue for looting..?
no doubt, some looting are still occurring in this regime , but better to shut the most dangerous ones...first
I must also commend gov Amosun who works wonder on the bye pass road from sango throu ota town...that road was a mess during GBENGA DANIEL tenure and for those who do some business btw ota and Lagos will testify
Thank you for reminding us of the era of fuel scarcity that GEJ brought to an end. It is so easy to forget that once upon a time, Nigerians had to queue for hours, and sometimes days, before they could BUY fuel in this same country. In those days, some people got their vehicles smashed as they struggle in very long queues just to BUY fuel. But all that is gone now and Nigerians have so easily forgotten
Re: Another Look At President Jonathan’s Achievements by luvinhubby(m): 12:06pm On Dec 19, 2013
hunter2,1:

no i think is like ronaldo. the more they underrate him, the better he performs.
Roundly seconded!! cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Biafra: Reno Omokri Uses P-square Fight To Make Case Against Secessionist / APC Criticises Aregbesola’s Visit To Fayose / Army Warns Solders Against Taking Pictures & Videos During Operations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.