Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,893 members, 7,814,017 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

Madonna University: The Truth - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Madonna University: The Truth (37869 Views)

The Plight Of A Madonna University Law Graduate / Ebonyi State University (ebsu) Now Federal University The Name : / Tansian University, The Pride Of Anambra State! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Madonna University: The Truth by Uche2nna(m): 10:44pm On Aug 03, 2008
Viante:

My school no dey heny basket.

You people sef, take the beef, fry it and eat it!

Not everything is meant to be personal , You know.

I went to a Federal university and I can name a million and one stuff that is wrong with the system. Its not personal, abeg.
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by reindeer: 11:17pm On Aug 03, 2008
oooooops!
i think someone irked the convenant kid, angry
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by Viante(f): 11:25pm On Aug 03, 2008
lol

Thank God say i no go Convenant cheesy cheesy

@Uche, your the one flaring up

i aint taking nothing personal on NL
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by olukunle: 11:35pm On Aug 03, 2008
I dont know why some people , when they have issues with certain establishments, feel they can go about throwing mud at them in such anonymous settings like this. I would have loved if the guy that started this thread had come out with his full and "real" names and tell us what the issue he had with Madonna universty actually is.
I do not believe all those things he wrote there to be true at all.

Secondly, I am pissed with those that pass judgement on other schools when "THEY DONT ACTUALLY KNOW ANYTG ABOUT SUCH SCHOOL"
How can yu be talking rubbish about a sch that u hv never been to, u dont knw who the vc is, you dnt knw about the staff, nor anytg whatsoever.
I have been to Covenant university on severaL occasions and the kind of structures that they have in place is second to none in this country.Likewise, they boast of very good staff, both academic and non academic. Besides, they organise lectures and symposium regularly, the recent one had Jim Ovia as the guest lecturer. So, I wonder where the pple saying nonsense get their data and info from. As per the issue of religion and discipline in the sch, am sure everybody knows that Winners Chapel, the organisatin that owns the sch is a Christian religious organisation that preaches the bible. So, anybodythat goes to such sch shd ordinarily know wht he or she is going for. If you hae a problem with carrying bibles or being religious, then we still hv unilag and thers where u can dress almost naked. Likewise, we have islamic schools all over the place.
I am not a member of winners chapel, neither did i go to covenant uni, i left a state uni in 1998 and am proud of the sch, despite of the shortcomings then, and now
So, my advice, if you dnt knw about something, then u keep quiet rather than make a fool of ursf.
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by lucabrasi(m): 11:50pm On Aug 03, 2008
4 Play:

With all due respect,your reasoning is appalling.

An illegal contract does not create an obligation. Such an agreement which purports to deprive one of his fundamental human rights is null and void.

Also,it is one thing to want to crackdown on sexual immorality,it is quite another to seek to attain this goal through absurd measures such as expelling HIV+ and pregnant students. I raised a series of questions which you obviously don't have an answer to.

And what in the name of whatever deity you worship are you talking about when referring to teenage Americans wearing silver rings to signify their virginity? Does anyone compel them to wear them?
seems you just like talking,first you say my reasoning is absurd now its apalling,and i asked you in turn what is apalling or absurd in christian themed private university having zero tolerance on some sinful vices??

second what makes that particular contract illega do pray tell me??they didnt force any student  to come to their university,if u dont like it in covenant or babcock  there are secular universities like abti and others so whats your point exactly?

a contract is a contract be it verbal or written and stands in any court of law as long as you are of sound mind when you signed the contract,there are faith based secondary schools,primary schools all round the world,go find out about the neo conservative catholic group opus dei e.t.c
how exactly have they deprived them of their human rights?by compelling them not to indulge in sinful vices?so it means the ten commandments is depriving christians of their rights or the quran is depriving muslims of their rights??

its simple,they expel hiv positive students for the same reason they r expelling pregnant students,because these students have gone contrary to the laws of the university,isnt that part of a crackdown on sexual immorality?or would you rather theymollycoddled them and re admitted them into the school,then others would feel like they are flexible with their laws and do same thing,why dyu think prostitution pervades nigerian govt universities?it wasnt like that in the 70s and 80s was it?so it must have taken a fist case which was allowed to go and now anything goes, its simple love them or hate them what they want is a born again christian themed university ses fini, what question did you raise?

nobody compelled them to wear them,thats my point,but they still do dont they?so it shows a university compelling students not to indulge in sexual vices e.t.c isnt absurd at all right??the university didnt compell or force anyone to go all the way to lagos ibadan expressway and register for their uni,there are several universities you will find in the main lagos city before getting to the express,if u dont want them you could go abroad e.t.c any parent/ward wants their children to be graduates not baby mamas or hiv positive even religion aside,the real african tradition supports a girl being virgins, so where s the absurdity in the university's rules, as for them expelling the male students involved if that was your question,its difficult to prove it because its the gurl's word against the guy's and im sure you know a dna,paternity test cant be conclusively done untill the child is born and a certain age,and who is footing the very expensive hosptal bill each time that happens??and thats just me not knowing the school's reasoning
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by Arnold1(m): 11:57pm On Aug 03, 2008
II Jeremiah 5;14 Blessed are those who pass Neco, Waec, JAMB and Post JAMB, for theirs is the luxury of Federal University, And Cursed are those who flunk SSCE and JAMB for theirs is the torment of religious Universities.

Only someone ignorant of the higher education situation in Nigeria would post something like this.

There are thousands of students who pass their O' levels and UME, but don't get admitted
due to lack of space.

According to the NUC, there is only room for 200,000 university candidates out of the over 1,000,000
that takes the UME exam yearly. That is 20% admission rate !

Without private universities, the admission rate would even be lower.

Excellent, bright students abound in the private universities of Nigeria.

Covenant and Babcock may have weird rules due to their religious affiliations, but they
are good higher institutions.

Some Babcock students have passed their ICAN exams even before graduating.

Madonna University is without a doubt one of the crappiest schools in Nigeria.

Convenant

Babcock

Igbinedion

Madonna

E.t.c

I put them all in one basket. One might be at the very bottom of that basket but the fact remains they are all in the same basket.

Any one who places Covenant and Babcock in "the same basket" as Madonna University doesn't know what
the helll they are talking about.

Madonna is a poor excuse for a university. Half-baked lecturers, no facilities, useless staff etc. Complaints about the school has been going on for ages. The NUC really needs to do something about it because it really is an outrage.
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by royalyinx(m): 12:39am On Aug 04, 2008
L M A O L M A O L M A O L M A O , Oh my God smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley wink wink wink wink
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by SMC(f): 1:33am On Aug 04, 2008
lucabrasi on 03:08:08 at 4.15.43PM:

why are you taking it so personal?its their school and the law didnt just spring up on students after they or their guardians signed the dotted lines,they read the laws and agreed to it,besides its a christian school and these are the kind of qualities they don't want in their school, i have been to some countries in europe,uk and the us and i know for a fact that anywhere you sign a contract either school,business e.t.c it is binding and they can't be held liable,in a country where the public universities are breeding prostitutes,cultists turning into armed robbers and hired killers and yahoo yahoo boys and girls christian universities should be applauded,go and check the politics section and read about the girl that faked her own kidnapping with undesirables she met in her public uni and got 5 million off her dad,guess u prefer that sort of freedom right?

You will do well to only address topics within the purview of your personal knowledge. First of all, what you referred to as the university's "laws" are regulations and/or codes of conducts.  Secondly, even if by some misinformed or misguided conception, they are referred to as laws, such "laws" are illegal because they conflict with state/federal laws and much more importantly, they conflict with the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Now do not get me wrong, it is legal to prescribe a code of conduct which is legally binding, but issues like being expelled for being HIV positive is definitely illegal and unconstitutional (Moreover, there is no way for you to ascertain that the virus was as a result of promiscuity and even if it was, it would still amount to discrimination and that is unconstitutional). These institutions are carrying on with this nonsense because the Nigerian legal system is shite. If not, someone would have instituted legal action and would have been laughing to the bank by now.

Thirdly, You obviously do not have a clue when it comes to contracts, so that claptrap about you knowing about contracts in Europe is pure balderdash. If you knew anything at all about contracts, you would know that merely signing a document does not automatically make it binding. The essential elements of a contract must be there (i.e. offer, acceptance, consideration and intention). However, even if the elements are all there, there are factors that are known as vitiating elements. But all these are not even relevant here, because any learned person will tell you that you cannot be made to contractually sign away your fundamental human rights (so, for example, here in the EU, I cannot make you sign a contract saying that if you are a homosexual, I can sack or expel you. If you sign such a contract, it is worthless, as it is VOID ab initio - you do not even need to say you did not sign it, you can say, yes I signed it, but it is an illegal contract as it contravenes the law and that would be the end of it. If I make the grave error of sacking you on that ground, you can sue me easily AND get mega compensation).

Now, you'd note I did not use the sexual orientation example for Nigeria. That is because apparently, in a land that allows paedophiles to walk around free, adults are not allowed to choose whether they want to be gay or straight. Notwithstanding, even in Nigeria, it is ILLEGAL to dismiss someone on the ground that they signed a contract was was illegal in the first place.

So, please do check the "facts" properly (as well as their legality), so that you can form a balanced informed opinion before challenging peoples views.
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by lucabrasi(m): 10:46am On Aug 04, 2008
@smc
fair enough i might not be conversant with nigerian universities but the fact still remains that from the little i know,after you are officially admitted,your wards are given forms and what not to sign indicating these "laws" "regulations" commandments e.t.c and whatever you want to call it,i intentionally used the ward laws on here and on the other thread i discussed similar issues simply because as far as the school has abided by the nigerian constitution dealing with setting up of a faith based university,then it is the law as far as students are concerned.

one thing you seem to be forgetting here is that,these are not secular universities,these are not just christian but born again christian based universities and in a situation like that,there is a zero tolerance on vices of any kind which has been stated to the parents and they willingly decided without any form of duress to sign their children over,remember human rights in that context is very relative,what a teenager who wants to party e.t.c feels is freedom or usurpation of his/her rights is what the parents will feel is a proper disciplined school,ill ask you a question,the american embassy will ask you for an hiv test from nigeria when doing the visa processes(not sure which)and they have refused many who have been hiv positive,will you therefore surmise that they have usurped these applicants human rights and should be sued to court?
or in the nigerian army,from recruits to officers are told to abide by a set of rigid rules and dismissed for any infringement or court marshalled,does it mean that their human rights are being infirnged upon?

i never claimed to be a lawyer or anything but i humbly pride myself on knowing the basics,funny thing is that you have contradicted yourself by your definition of a binding contract
1)offer-the students were offered a place based on the universities rules,regulations,law,commandments e.t.c
2)acceptance-their parents or guardian read the offer letter,digested all that was written in the letter,made a decision and accepted to send their children to these universities,you will agree with me that to leave lagos town and drive all the way to lagos-ibadn expressway shows you have accepted right?
3)consideration-like i said in 2,there considered it and weighted their options seeing as there were several options from secular private universities like igbinideon,abti e.t.c to state and federal government run universities like unilag,u.i e.t.c or going abroad,
4)intention-the parent's intention is for their sons not to mix wth cultists or their daughters to mix with prostitutes masquerading as students,they want their children to have a christian based quality education while being grounded in their faith,as for the university's intention, that is well clear and its simply to turn outmorally upstanding,christian graduates e.t.c
so i really dont get it when you say the contract is not binding undecided

they dont have to tell you that if you are hiv positive you will be expelled,but they have a right to tell you not to indulge in sexual vices,criminal vices e.t.c so if you contract hiv thru having any sexual contact then you have gone contrary to what your parents signed or agreed with the school,this is not a company where everyone has a right to dress or do what makes them comfortable like you are saying,this is a school where teenagers are supposed to be moulded into responsible upright christian adults,like i said and keep saying,its a christian university and like any christian establishment they have a zero tolerance on anything considered sinful,also they reserve the right to refuse a prospective student just like the american embassy if they are hiv positive,and while in the school if a student gets pregrant they have a right to expell her because she is in danger of giving he school a bad name

well again,that last paragraph is a matter of individual opinions,as you will have seen from the anglican communion schishm, you believe people have a right to be gay and all that,personally i come from a neo conservative background and i disagree totally,back to the topic what i think you are missing here is that while fighting for the rights for students to get pregnant if they like,be promiscous e.t.c if they so wish in blantant disregard to the school's laws or regulations or whatever you have totally forgotten that the universities have a right as an institution as well,the parents who pay through their noses for precisely that kind of education,the church congregation and the head of the churches whose money,sweat and blood paid for that institution and their visions,

it is very easy,nobody is drafting students or forcing them to go to these universities,they made a rational and informed choice all on their own so they have an obligation to abide by the rules or law, i dont really get what you are on about checking facts properly because by your definition of a binding contract,i have shown how the agreement made between prents and the universities are binding based on your own definition of a binding contract,so if anyone needs to be well informed,i think you should be the one,go do some research on the number of potential armed robbers/hired killers ,prostitutes/hiv carriers,sub standard graduates who pay lecturers for marks e.t.c then correlae it with the quality of graduates the likes of babcock,covenant,redeemers e.t.c are producing and that is not even mentioning secular universities
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by icezik1(m): 10:49am On Aug 04, 2008
@bigrovar

Hmmm , I agree that AUST looks finer than Covenant but as far as facilities go, there is no difference. Ask any student of Covenant about what is available there. There are enough computers available if a student doesn't own one (About 75% of students own their own computer in Covenant) and there is freely available internet in the Hostels (via wireless). The only problem I have with Covenant University is their over-religiousness. Or else, as far as facilities go, there are in the top 5 of any University in Nigeria, Public or Private.

Sure, we don't have World Class labs for researching the life cycle of an ant but, I don't think there is any course that can complain that they do not have the adequate facilities necessary to learn.
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by megaboss: 11:21am On Aug 04, 2008
Sweet Jesus Crist deliver us from bad universities whether

private or public.
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by neduogu(m): 11:43am On Aug 04, 2008
@bigrovar.
thanks for the information on the AUST, was serching for a school to do post gradute here in nigeria.
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by timok4chri: 1:15pm On Aug 04, 2008
good
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by Nobody: 1:44pm On Aug 04, 2008
well a good certificate is a good certificate once u have made ur 1st class or what have u, but the skl is not trying at all

d chancellor insisted one a full time boarding instituion but has failed to provide the necessary accomodation requirements.in other words, the hostels are bleeped up period

and one thing about dat skl whenever they want to make a new rule or ban sth dat brings joy to the students they always come up with a lame excuse

males entering females hostel: boys were banned from entering girls hostel because a cleaner reportedly picked up used condoms in the girls hostel while cleaning, i dunno why findind used condoms on d floor will make them automaticallly ban boys 4rm entering girls hostel, wot in d world were they thinking, rubbish

camera phones and anything camera: it was banned because a boy gave his girlfriend his camera phone to take pictures of naked girls in the hostel, wtf

wearing face caps: noo one puts on face caps and i dont know why. if u wear it, u'll lose it - seize

wearing wrist bands: sign of cultism- one woman(Philo) said she saw some guys shaking hands and they were putting on wristbands her problem was dat dey did not handshake in the conventional way so henceforth any student caught wearing wristband will be charged with cultism and be expelled from the skl

exeat: reports got to the chancellor that his students have been spotted in various clubs and hotels around town hence forth students were not permitted to leave the skl on weekends

wearing headphones while strolling: not allowed, you put on headphones while strolling on campus else you'll loose ur walkman, ipod whateva ur using

i dont know how many more "rules" they've added since o left them but these were current as of last year

i think the skl will ban making midnight calls one of these days at the rate things are going
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by dupsyrose: 1:56pm On Aug 04, 2008
shocked shocked shocked shocked PRIVATE UNI IN NIGERIA ALL THE SAME.PARENT RUN FROM PUBLIC UNI COS OF STRIKE AND WHAT THEY CALL SUB STANDARD EDUCATION
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by skeletine(m): 2:16pm On Aug 04, 2008
Dear Mr. Lucabrasi,
I admonish you replenish your informed perception of your honourable self. This is not to contribute to the rich argument but to point you to rich understanding. from your post, you though you knew little about contracts but i advice you go and read. you made the elements of contracts so simplistic thereby distorting the meaning and getting it all wrong. Please update yourself and stop misinforming people, especially about consideration and intention, i mean intention to create legel relations - that it in full, you will do well for yourself if only you'd read. Good day bro
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by vicade(m): 2:25pm On Aug 04, 2008
while people are busy calling private universities glorified secondary schools, private university gradautes are getting decent jobs with many of them going ahead to do their masters degree overseas. so you see a private university graduate who is 25 has a bsc., msc. , has completed NYSC and  two years working experience.

So glorified seconary school or not, rules or no rules, covenant,babcock and the rest of them are doing very very well in terms of the quality of graduates and that is all that counts. whether you were subjected to rules or doctrines during your study does not appear on the CV after all.
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by Viante(f): 2:27pm On Aug 04, 2008
@Vicade
lol, dont mind them, they should keep shoutng

my friend will have her phd at 21, sharp brain i tell ya

We are busying moving up in the world, while they still dey look at wetin

the schs dey do wrong.
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by vicade(m): 2:36pm On Aug 04, 2008
Viante:

@Vicade
lol, don't mind them, they should keep shoutng

my friend will have her phd at 21, sharp brain i tell ya

We are busying moving up in the world, while they still dey look at wetin

the schs dey do wrong.

i feel you. i attended babcock and my graduating class had an average age of 21. Today most of them are in banks, telecommunications, doing masters degree and working in different parts of the world and so on. You just need to be on facebook to see what babcock graduates have been up to and @ such young ages.

No one remembers that we were not allowed to eat meat or fish for four years as part of the compulsory vegetarian diet.

If haters want to hate, let them hate and watch the money pile up.
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by Viante(f): 2:39pm On Aug 04, 2008
Shey, there is smthing these schs put in you at the end of the day.

My sch mates have this "drive"

People are busy making it left, right and center while some

are busy running their mouth.

These schools are here to stay, like em or leave em alone!!!! grin

i kno dey support Madonna sha lipsrsealed tongue
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by qeenbee(f): 3:02pm On Aug 04, 2008
mr lukabris,4give me if its a miss,but u must tell me your interst in this issue nd my God, u sure know how to talk shocked
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by Viante(f): 3:10pm On Aug 04, 2008
rotflmaosltnactp
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by ifect: 3:45pm On Aug 04, 2008
People hate what they dont have, envy what they cant conquer,

All these guys attacking Priavte universities (and grouping them together as Bad are just Losers who wish they had the same opportunity) are PROBABLY UNEMPLOYED, and are feeling bad cos the private uni grads are taking all the jobs you could have had, Too Bad! Life is Unfair Isnt it?

LETS FACE IT, DO YOU HATE WHAT YOU ARE GREATER THAN? YOU CAN ONLY VERBALLY ATTACK SOMEONE ELSE IF THE PERSON IS A THREAT TO YOU!

So, Pls stop Hating and Start Participating as private Unis have come to stay and we are all building a greater nigeria!

Get a job, Get a Life and stop slandering Other people on Nairaland!!
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by janami(f): 4:45pm On Aug 04, 2008
ifect:

People hate what they don't have, envy what they can't conquer,
just my thots. my ex lecturer said just thesame thing last week.
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by dudubobo1: 4:47pm On Aug 04, 2008
Does the university have a website?
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by Geezle(m): 6:11pm On Aug 04, 2008
Madonna get im wahala, people say na Government spoil Fed Schools, na Obasanjo, IBB abi Abacha na im bring Cult come FED school? The reason why a private school is the way it is today is because of bad eggs from the fED SCHOOLS. For crying out loud, the Fada for MAdonna, we all know(us from there) sabi im craze. In that school it is not how much u have that keeps u there but how much u can keep ur head in the time of temptations. Fada no send our folks cash in anyway. I went to Madonna when school fees was just 65-70k when Igbins was collecting awoof.

Na Glorified Secondary school, but the product dey show now, everywhere u go there is an alumni of that Grammar School doing their thing? Abi na Fada put them there?

@ Poster, I feel ur pain but a word of advice is: keep ur head where it should be, Money aint anything or everything to FADA EDEH, not forgeting his loads of dull people who are not civilised? The DVC inclusive, Remember God will judge his people one day, Dont judge them urself, if u like pray that they should die, like u have done for our past leaders(who are still leading in one form or the other). THEIR TIME WILL COME.
timok4chri:

Hi all, i just came across this thread, I am a graduate of Madonna University Okija, yes, the school have and still has many challenges that may not be favourable, its all about focus o, I may not have attended the best of Universities in the country, but i can boldly say my degree in Madonna University earned me a job with GLOBACOM, and my wife (who is also a graduate of Madonna University) is working with First Inland Bank, we just got our Toyota Camry(latest model) and in the process of completing our personal 3 bedroom flat, well, we don't see the pains of school again, and we are not dusting CVs looking for jobs because we are comfortable, and we thank God because where we are going to, is better than were we came from. Na God o! even my younger brother just called to tell me he passed the VISAFONE interview and is about to resume work, all na Madonna University Certificate o. Praise God.

Bro Mail me: acegery@yahoo.com, if u can.
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by SMC(f): 6:22pm On Aug 04, 2008
lucabrasi on August 04, 2008 at 10:46:14 AM:

i never claimed to be a lawyer or anything but i humbly pride myself on knowing the basics,funny thing is that you have contradicted yourself by your definition of a binding contract
1)offer-the students were offered a place  based on the universities rules,regulations,law,commandments e.t.c
2)acceptance-their parents or guardian read the offer letter,digested all that was written in the letter,made a decision and accepted to send their children to these universities,you will agree with me that to leave lagos town and drive all the way to lagos-ibadn expressway shows you have accepted right?
[b]3)consideration-like i said in 2,there considered it and weighted their options seeing as there were several options from secular private universities like igbinideon,abti e.t.c to state and federal government run universities like unilag,u.i e.t.c or going abroad,
4)intention-the parent's intention is for their sons not to mix wth cultists or their daughters to mix with prostitutes masquerading as students,they want their children to have a christian based quality education while being grounded in their faith,as for the university's intention, that is well clear and its simply to turn outmorally upstanding,christian graduates e.t.c[/b]so i really don't get it when you say the contract is not binding 

they don't have to tell you that if you are hiv positive you will be expelled,but they have a right to tell you not to indulge in sexual vices,criminal vices e.t.c so if you contract hiv through having any sexual contact then you have gone contrary to what your parents signed or agreed with the school,this is not a company where everyone has a right to dress or do what makes them comfortable like you are saying,this is a school where teenagers are supposed to be moulded into responsible upright christian adults,like i said and keep saying,its a christian university and like any christian establishment they have a zero tolerance on anything considered sinful,also they reserve the right to refuse a prospective student  just like the american embassy if they are hiv positive,and while in the school if a student gets pregrant they have a right to expell her because she is in danger of giving he school a bad name

it is very easy,nobody is drafting students or forcing them to go to these universities,they made a rational and informed choice all on their own so they have an obligation to abide by the rules or law, i don't really get what you are on about checking facts properly because by your definition of a binding contract,i have shown how the agreement made between prents and the universities are binding based on your own definition of a binding contract,so if anyone needs to be well informed,i think you should be the one,go do some research on the number of potential armed robbers/hired killers ,prostitutes/hiv carriers,sub standard graduates who pay lecturers for marks e.t.c then correlae it with the quality of graduates the likes of babcock,covenant,redeemers e.t.c are producing and that is not even mentioning secular universities

LOL. . . OMG you just don't get it mate. Now I really found that funny. You need to check what consideration and intention means when talking about contracts. (when I said consideration I meant apyment of sorts (not necessarily money or fees) and intention means intention to enter into or create legal relations).  Also, if you paid attention to what I said, you'd remember that IT DOES NOT MATTER whether the students or their parents signed a contract (even if all the elements are present). Because if the contract is against the law, IT IS VOID (it isn't worth the paper it is printed on). I did not say the school was not a legal establishment. I said that if the school made someone sign a document that made them give away their fundamental human right, such a document is not valid as it is illegal, and it can successfully be challenged. By the way, I'm sure the school would not be so stupid as to make people sign a document that says they can be expelled if they are found to be HIV positive. Not even an employer can legitimately get away with that.

Oh and FYI, I hope you know that a person can be HIV positive for months (even years) without knowing it. So a student's HIV status could actually pre-date a "so called contract" signed (if the university is dumb enough to make anyone sign a ludicrous document) and like I said before, sex is not the only way to contact the HIV virus. It is truly a pity that the Nigerian justice system is so crappy and fails most people. If I was back there, I'll be glad to represent a victim that was dismissed by a school or an employer for being HIV positive. And I will be happy to do it pro bono too.

Anyway, I see I cannot make you appreciate the legality or otherwise of such dismissal, so  I GIVE UP!
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by seun001(m): 8:29pm On Aug 04, 2008
Geezle:

Madonna get im wahala, people say na Government spoil Fed Schools, na Obasanjo, IBB abi Abacha na im bring Cult come FED school? The reason why a private school is the way it is today is because of bad eggs from the fED SCHOOLS. For crying out loud, the Fada for MAdonna, we all know(us from there) sabi im craze. In that school it is not how much u have that keeps u there but how much u can keep your head in the time of temptations. Fada no send our folks cash in anyway. I went to Madonna when school fees was just 65-70k when Igbins was collecting awoof.

Na Glorified Secondary school, but the product dey show now, everywhere u go there is an alumni of that Grammar School doing their thing? Abi na Fada put them there?

@ Poster, I feel your pain but a word of advice is: keep your head where it should be, Money aint anything or everything to FADA EDEH, not forgeting his loads of dull people who are not civilised? The DVC inclusive, Remember God will judge his people one day, Dont judge them yourself, if u like pray that they should die, like u have done for our past leaders(who are still leading in one form or the other). THEIR TIME WILL COME.
Bro Mail me: acegery@yahoo.com, if u can.

i suppose u wouldnt want a summary of achievements of people that went to public institutions hmmm.i dont think we are saying everybody is bad,but the VC's are not god.period
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by seun001(m): 8:36pm On Aug 04, 2008
ifect:

People hate what they don't have, envy what they can't conquer,

All these guys attacking Priavte universities (and grouping them together as Bad are just Losers who wish they had the same opportunity) are PROBABLY UNEMPLOYED, and are feeling bad because the private uni grads are taking all the jobs you could have had, Too Bad! Life is Unfair Isnt it?

LETS FACE IT, DO YOU HATE WHAT YOU ARE GREATER THAN? YOU CAN ONLY VERBALLY ATTACK SOMEONE ELSE IF THE PERSON IS A THREAT TO YOU!

So, Please stop Hating and Start Participating as private Unis have come to stay and we are all building a greater nigeria!

Get a job, Get a Life and stop slandering Other people on Nairaland!!

yeah really?na wa oh!am actually tempted to take a befitting swipe at u but i also quote,
"as a man thinketh---------"jobless my foot.
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by keba(m): 9:01pm On Aug 04, 2008
all that has been said about the school are true .
the school sucks.
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by lucabrasi(m): 9:04pm On Aug 04, 2008
SMC:

LOL. . . OMG you just don't get it mate. Now I really found that funny. You need to check what consideration and intention means when talking about contracts. (when I said consideration I meant apyment of sorts (not necessarily money or fees) and intention means intention to enter into or create legal relations).  Also, if you paid attention to what I said, you'd remember that IT DOES NOT MATTER whether the students or their parents signed a contract (even if all the elements are present). Because if the contract is against the law, IT IS VOID (it isn't worth the paper it is printed on). I did not say the school was not a legal establishment. I said that if the school made someone sign a document that made them give away their fundamental human right, such a document is not valid as it is illegal, and it can successfully be challenged. By the way, I'm sure the school would not be so stupid as to make people sign a document that says they can be expelled if they are found to be HIV positive. Not even an employer can legitimately get away with that.

seems as if there is a communication gap right here,you came up with the definitions not me,i was only using your definitions to prove my poinst ses finis, in order not to write a long ass article,i gave specific examples that were as near as possible to the psivate university scenario,namely the american embassy,the army who have similar contracts and laws or rules or regulations e.t.c and i asked you are they usurping the recruits or the applicants as the case may be  s human rights?
if your answer is yes then i guess any recruit not cool with being treated like a child,telling them when to sleep and wake up,barbig their hair e.t.c lol

same as american embassy,having to go thru ll sorts of tests because of a visa and being refused even if you have been selected for the green card programme thingy, guess they should have been taken to court as well for usurping applicants human rights?
hope im getting thru this time, btw there are numerous other examples, nda is one,nms  is another,they are not faith based but operate pretty much along the same lines,but just to humour my ignorance when your are talking about usurping fundamental rights,do you mean the right to have sex on the university premises when they like?cuddle and all sorts e.t.c guess we need  they need to get with the programme seeing as the western world is doing an awesome job of educating his youths so far, lmao,
SMC:

Oh and FYI, I hope you know that a person can be HIV positive for months (even years) without knowing it. So a student's HIV status could actually pre-date a "so called contract" signed (if the university is dumb enough to make anyone sign a ludicrous document) and like I said before, sex is not the only way to contact the HIV virus. It is truly a pity that the Nigerian justice system is so crappy and fails most people. If I was back there, I'll be glad to represent a victim that was dismissed by a school or an employer for being HIV positive. And I will be happy to do it pro bono too.

Anyway, I see I cannot make you appreciate the legality or otherwise of such dismissal, so   I GIVE UP!
ok i get it,seems making them sign documents forbidding them from indulging in sexual vices while on the school grounds is what is getting to you right?
or the fact that they dismiss hiv positive students,while you ll rather they disregard the feelings of the other parents(having in mind that an average nigerian parent will withdraw their children straightaway)if they find such,i didnt know a university doesnt have a righ to screen students just like the american embassy untill i heard it first hand from a lawyer lol thank GOD you are nigerian,if u dont mind should i look for hiv positive ppl who have been  refused visas after their tests showed they are positive??but you ll have to get a few more of your colleagues because theres a lot o
its a shame you have given up on my crass ignorance cause i was hoping you will address the simple question i have repeatedly asked if the american embassy are usurping the human rights of applicants or if the  army are usurping the human rights of recruits(and i dont mean just the nigerian army but world wide includn america and uk)lol
Re: Madonna University: The Truth by amaechijay: 9:07pm On Aug 04, 2008
No wonder my cousin left the school for a proper university

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

NUC Directs Universities To Suspend Academic Activities / Result Controversy: ‘It’s Unfair, Not My Fault’, Mmesoma Says On JAMB 3-Year Ban / Kegite Group Should Be Banned In Universities After Uniben Student Was Killed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.