Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,099 members, 7,821,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? (32615 Views)

What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? / When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by hayoakins(m): 12:47pm On Dec 30, 2013
cos we dont sell our daughters.

However, the cash isn't giving to the groom but the bride instead. It is up to her to decide how to spend it.

Our daughters/sisters/niece and cousins aren't for sale grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by kendiaz(f): 12:47pm On Dec 30, 2013
Nt all families do dat but normally yorubas dnt take much money jst d fruits and many other tinz nd dey jst tell u their child is nt for sale.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Emmyk(m): 12:48pm On Dec 30, 2013
Dolly-Parton:
You are under arrest, for the obvious. cheesy cool
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by piratedcopy(m): 12:48pm On Dec 30, 2013
i made front page

* scatter everywhere, and running to the top of the building to jump*

special shout out to all batch c corpers in oyo state, one love

shout out to mech 12 and jummy kun

if i can make it u can make it too. Front page is a reality, keep pushing hard.

Love u all
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by promisechild(m): 12:49pm On Dec 30, 2013
Just because our daughters are not commodities or goods that is meant for sale.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by mascot87(m): 12:49pm On Dec 30, 2013
nekaa: cause the money is too small to be used for anything actually....

Before you start barking and biting; I am a yoruba gal smiley
Hi sweet babe, I like that your nice posture,I should be expecting more from you.Will you be my bride? kiss
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by DollyParton1(f): 12:51pm On Dec 30, 2013
Emmyk:
Owo Aburo Iyawo.

I like! cheesywink

i collect that tire on top my cousins' weddings, even if na 10naira, them still dey share us
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by vizboy(m): 12:51pm On Dec 30, 2013
if he be say them dey return bride price, that means na yoruba girl me wan marry
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by skydeep(f): 12:51pm On Dec 30, 2013
Hmmmm. Cool
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by modestdude(m): 12:52pm On Dec 30, 2013
This is true, Bride price in yorubaland is small and always returned to the groom. But the cost of wedding ceremonies there is much. From the introduction ceremony to the traditional wedding and to the white wedding, there is enough gbedu and so much spending.
What i dont know is if truly its the bride's family that takes care of the entertainment aspects, with little support from the groom.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Afrok(m): 12:52pm On Dec 30, 2013
Make I bring my "apoti" with a cup of "gegemu" come sit for front as Nwa afor Igbo wey dey Yoruba land, dis will be interesting. Learning coz who knows, Romoke might finally agree, did I just say dt? shocked nothing do me johr, I'm a Nigerian grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Dec 30, 2013
farai97: groom price undecided

The bride pays for the groom in India

Polyandry
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by felzylix(m): 12:52pm On Dec 30, 2013
Cos they know for sure their child is not worth the price been paid
*just trying to b honest

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by OwoLee(m): 12:53pm On Dec 30, 2013
Though, its not a law or either binding on anyone, I think its just wat some families have tend to realize overtime DAT rather than collecting such huge amount of money and spending it, they will give it back to the groom family to make them realize, their daughters are not for sale. There is always something else, the wife will collect from her hussy before the knot is tied(monetary or gifts). Though, most wife would rather appreciate either Quran or bible or gifts items...
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Dec 30, 2013
Peinstein:

Apt response, before tribal blood starts getting spilled on this thread.

I think the return of bride prices is a recent culture, it probably evolved as a result of grooms who treat their brides as a piece of property just because they paid a price

I WILL collect bride price for my daughters! How much is the bride price that some yorubas are talking about not selling their daughters?

The idea of returning bride price is not part of true yoruba culture. It is modern and built on supposition.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by poisonivy19(f): 12:54pm On Dec 30, 2013
Chaleeee: If I hear say Igbo man return the money!!!!!! Yorubas do not sell their children unlike the igbos. From Yoruba weddings I have witnessed, the average bride price is around N10,000 coupled with yam, fruits and other little things.

My Igbo neighbor has 5 girls and he's always saying he's sending them to sch so that he can use their bride price to buy land and build a new house. The price range can be ridiculous at times.... so families even ask for cars and landed properties in choice areas. Marriage shd be a thing of joy, not a money making avenue

Its best u dnt comment if u r nt sure of wat u r saying.I am igbo and I ve elder sis dat ve married and my parents dint collect bride price,cos its a personal choice.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by U90INDIVERSIT(m): 12:54pm On Dec 30, 2013
FUNNY TOPIC!....WHY COLLECT IT IN THE FIRST PLACE? SMH!!!
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Dec 30, 2013
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by JideTheBlogger(m): 12:56pm On Dec 30, 2013
Even some single ladies are claiming their bride price were returned. Na wa ooo grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by surplusspending(m): 12:58pm On Dec 30, 2013
that will be better cos I no dey plan to pay any prices o lolz
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by iykofias(m): 12:58pm On Dec 30, 2013
Y take n return, if u dnt want den dnt take at all, and to clear any doubt_dat isnt a yoruba culture o. Jux a personnal decision;
my orobo classmate family tried it but d groom family refused to take it back... Hope y'all learnt something today, seun!!! I seriously need a 'Thanks' bottom here
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by shegzi(m): 1:00pm On Dec 30, 2013
The yorubas belief that they are not selling out their daughter out, so when you remenber that you didnt pay bride price, you will treat her well thats for the wise men or groom i guess. Yap
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by tao186: 1:00pm On Dec 30, 2013
Omooba77: Most of the wedding I have attended in Yoruba land; including mine, why do wife's family return the bride price saying they are not selling their daughter. Is it right?
Lie
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:01pm On Dec 30, 2013
Omooba77: It is only the bride price other oh. Other money like owo babagbo; iyagbo; omode ile,arugbo ile..........And fruits,yam, rice, coke and things like that will be collected and shared by nuclear and extended families...............
Even at that, the owo omo ile, owo arugbo ile, and so on are meagre. I remember some years back in 2010 when cousin was get married, I opted to be the omo ile because I was the youngest then, but decline when I got to know I would get just less than 1000 naira.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Emmyk(m): 1:01pm On Dec 30, 2013
smurfy:

I WILL collect bride price for my daughters! How much is the bride price that yorubas are talking about not selling their daughters.

The idea of returning bride price is not part of true yoruba culture. It is modern and built on supposition.

It's not a matter of how much, senor.

Was it not Porridge that Esau got as an exchange for his birthright? smiley

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by DollyParton1(f): 1:02pm On Dec 30, 2013
Owo Lee: Though, its not a law or either binding on anyone, I think its just wat some families have tend to realize overtime DAT rather than collecting such huge amount of money and spending it, they will give it back to the groom family to make them realize, their daughters are not for sale. .
trust me the money is not huge, its not even up to 100,000 naira, plus if u wan sell person shey na 100,000 naira u go sell them?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by skydeep(f): 1:04pm On Dec 30, 2013
shegzi: The yorubas belief that they are not selling out their daughter out, so when you remenber that you didnt pay bride price, you will treat her well thats for the wise men or groom i guess. Yap
Irony
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Mekyno(m): 1:05pm On Dec 30, 2013
Chaleeee: If I hear say Igbo man return the money!!!!!! Yorubas do not sell their children unlike the igbos. From Yoruba weddings I have witnessed, the average bride price is around N10,000 coupled with yam, fruits and other little things.

My Igbo neighbor has 5 girls and he's always saying he's sending them to sch so that he can use their bride price to buy land and build a new house. The price range can be ridiculous at times.... so families even ask for cars and landed properties in choice areas. Marriage shd be a thing of joy, not a money making avenue
No wonder y dee return it....jst 10k naira or dollars? it is an inform of rejection naaa. Dee will start collectin d day i will gv lyk 1 billion dollars...#winks#

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Dec 30, 2013
Emmyk:

It's not a matter of how much, senor.

Was it not Porridge that Esau used to sell his birthright? smiley

I think the return-the-bride-price trend started among some yorubas when they saw what the Igbo men were saying and doing to their expensive wives.

It's not about the money but the honour it brings.

Again, I repeat, I will collect BP for my daughters.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by skydeep(f): 1:07pm On Dec 30, 2013
smurfy:

I think the return-the-bride-price trend started among some yorubas when they saw what the Igbo men were saying and doing to their expensive wives.
What were they doing to their wives?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by shegzi(m): 1:07pm On Dec 30, 2013
For the once i ve attended (for those saying why collect and return). Its not only bride price they bring also with other money as mention by other commenter so they call those names out and getting to bride prices then they return it
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by mandarin: 1:11pm On Dec 30, 2013
Bride price is not just the money but all those things demanded by the bride's parents such as yam, palm oil etc. Actually, money paid as price is such a very small thing among the Yoruba and its a recent culture to return it while the bride's parent will say to the groom's ,parent that ' we are giving out our daughter to you in marriage, we believe you are one and both of you are our son and daughter and so we can't be giving out your sister and friend to you and collecting money'

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Is There Any Danger In Sleeping With A Widow When Her Hubby Has Not Been Buried? / Why Can't The Prophets Be Black ? / Suspend Emir Sunusi To Allow Proper Investigation - Elders To Kano State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.