Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,276 members, 7,818,936 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:36 AM

Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? (32605 Views)

What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? / When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by ChristyG(f): 4:39pm On Dec 31, 2013
souljahman:

well i check peoples profile before i reply on nairaland so i know wat im dealing with. weda na human or animal. rational or irrational and clearly u tilt more on d baboon side. u need love maybe chocolate or bananas i dnt knw yet but maybe a bunch of bananas tho.......lwkmd....no dey curse me i neva curse u yet....lol
now u are boring,go and suck some d1ck.and stop describing ur ugly self.okay
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by mandylisy: 6:00pm On Dec 31, 2013
Chaleeee: If I hear say Igbo man return the money!!!!!! Yorubas do not sell their children unlike the igbos. From Yoruba weddings I have witnessed, the average bride price is around N10,000 coupled with yam, fruits and other little things.

My Igbo neighbor has 5 girls and he's always saying he's sending them to sch so that he can use their bride price to buy land and build a new house. The price range can be ridiculous at times.... so families even ask for cars and landed properties in choice areas. Marriage shd be a thing of joy, not a money making avenue
guy i quote u wrong coz am an igbo girl and know our traditions is true dat we dont return d bride price but d groom is left 2 decide hw much 2 pay as the dowry.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by souljahman: 8:56pm On Dec 31, 2013
Christy G: now u are boring,go and suck some d1ck.and stop describing ur ugly self.okay

helli monkress i'll leave u to ur mirror n ur conscience.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by ChristyG(f): 9:01pm On Dec 31, 2013
souljahman:

helli monkress i'll leave u to ur mirror n ur conscience.
whatever loser,its new year eve,i ave better things to do than engaging with an imbecille.find something better to do with ur lonely life,okay.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Dec 31, 2013
fumisko: Please like how much do Igbo people collect as bride price? Because my igbo friend was saying that because her dad is a christain, her own would be like 750000 naira. Is it usually more? That's suicidal. Where wil he get such money....poor groom. For Yorubas in my place, the money is given to the couple or better still back to the husband(groom) and he is told to take care of their daughter with the money. Yoruba bride price in my place is about 5000-10000 naira

This is a stupid question to ask
It's like me asking how much do Yorubas borrow for owanbe?
The Igbo culture varies from community to community and marriage rites can vary from family to family sef
In my case after the token bride price was paid,my father took one Naira and gave the rest back
We all make jests about high bride price in Igboland and I join in
But common sense should tell you that all igbos are not millionaires
In Igboland are poor people too and they are getting married daily,how are they paying for it?

I can assure you the average Yoruba wedding costs a whole lot more than an average Igbo wedding
Igbos are certainly not as flamboyant and generally would not go into debt to throw an Owambe and repeat it 9 months later in a naming ceremony

Even the culture of asho ebi crept into Igboland not too long ago
We didn't do asho ebi till the other day
Not our culture
Neither do we block streets in merriment and show of wealth
But you folks keep hammering on this same sorry line about bride price
Mschtwwwwwww!!!
Why are people from your area trooping to Igboland for wives despite these supposedly cut throat bride prices that will impoverish them ?
Why are my brothers not rushing the "cheaper versions" where the little they pay is even returned
Why are Igbo men sticking to Igbo women
Have you asked yourself that question
when you know the average Igbo man wants a profit grin
Why is he not crossing the River niger for bargain wives while your brothers are rushing Igbo girls to be fleeced
Food for thought

Happy new year

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by souljahman: 10:40pm On Dec 31, 2013
Christy G: whatever loser,its new year eve,i ave better things to do than engaging with an imbecille.find something better to do with ur lonely life,okay.

u didnt wish me happy new year? however HAPPY NEW YEAR. i love u *hugs*
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 9:30am On Jan 01, 2014
Christy G: direct ur question to him
.......!

Christy happy new year. cool You're the first person I'm wishing that on nl. I hope you all quit tribal bashing and you stop following those bigots on your profile.

Happy New Year Babyosisi and all you of you. Gotta run now, have a wedding to prepare for.

cool
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by ifechez: 1:47pm On Jan 01, 2014
Baby mama:

This is a stupid question to ask
It's like me asking how much do Yorubas borrow for owanbe?
The Igbo culture varies from community to community and marriage rites can vary from family to family sef
In my case after the token bride price was paid,my father took one Naira and gave the rest back
We all make jests about high bride price in Igboland and I join in
But common sense should tell you that all igbos are not millionaires
In Igboland are poor people too and they are getting married daily,how are they paying for it?

I can assure you the average Yoruba wedding costs a whole lot more than an average Igbo wedding
Igbos are certainly not as flamboyant and generally would not go into debt to throw an Owambe and repeat it 9 months later in a naming ceremony

Even the culture of asho ebi crept into Igboland not too long ago
We didn't do asho ebi till the other day
Not our culture
Neither do we block streets in merriment and show of wealth
But you folks keep hammering on this same sorry line about bride price
Mschtwwwwwww!!!
Why are people from your area trooping to Igboland for wives despite these supposedly cut throat bride prices that will impoverish them ?
Why are my brothers not rushing the "cheaper versions" where the little they pay is even returned
Why are Igbo men sticking to Igbo women
Have you asked yourself that question
when you know the average Igbo man wants a profit grin
Why is he not crossing the River niger for bargain wives while your brothers are rushing Igbo girls to be fleeced
Food for thought

Happy new year

Gbam!!! Post of the NEW YEAR.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Noneroone(m): 6:27pm On Jan 01, 2014
Christy G: whatever loser,its new year eve,i ave better things to do than engaging with an imbecille.find something better to do with ur lonely life,okay.
so you have really managed to curse your way into the new year. Keep it up!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 8:24am On Jan 04, 2014
It makes sense really.
Back when I was younger, I didn't care and thought woman is woman, whether ibo or yoruba, etc.
But the older I got and the more I began to take stock of my pocket, I have deduced that marrying an ibo wife would really hit my wallet.
So I respect myself and don't engage Ibo women in that light...unless if she is truly exceptional. And let's not kid ourselves, even though every person thinks they are "exceptional" the reality is that they are not. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 12:41am On Sep 15, 2014
2buff: It makes sense really.
Back when I was younger, I didn't care and thought woman is woman, whether ibo or yoruba, etc.
But the older I got and the more I began to take stock of my pocket, I have deduced that marrying an ibo wife would really hit my wallet.
So I respect myself and don't engage Ibo women in that light...unless if she is truly exceptional. And let's not kid ourselves, even though every person thinks they are "exceptional" the reality is that they are not. cheesy

In 99% of Igbo villages and towns, One can marry a wife and make a total expense of less than 100k.

Its not expensive to marry an Igbo Gal, Except shes from some parts of imo state, They have the highest bride price in our Land.

Every other thing u hear is absolutely not compulsory to bring in Igbo land, It depends on agreement and on the Family.

It will be quite stupid for someone that is not Igbo and has not travelled out of their region to try n talk nonsense.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Can't The Prophets Be Black ? / Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? / Suspend Emir Sunusi To Allow Proper Investigation - Elders To Kano State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.