Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,236 members, 7,818,792 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? (32603 Views)

What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? / When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by topygel: 3:04pm On Dec 30, 2013
Hey! Igbo girls are no longer expensive, they are cheaper than free, a friend of mine told me that igbo girls are now 3 for #5.

Pls someone confirm. I need to change gear
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by mount1ng(m): 3:04pm On Dec 30, 2013
I attended one that the father of the bride said something that got me thinking. He said the other of his daughter that he returned, is back in his house. It's a shame to a family that a woman married out to return to her father's house. So he is not returning this one.
I guess that's why we have so many divorces. The ladies should tell their father before hand not to return the bride price so that you don't return to your father's house ooo. grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by ChristyG(f): 3:05pm On Dec 30, 2013
Duke_Nija:

Little wonder why parents no longer accept dowries all in the name of not selling their daughters. Looking at the way you and that Kid called Iya Ngba have been spewing your saliva all over this thread insulting people's opinions show you both lack good morals and tact to make good wives. Why won't yoruba parents protect their kids when they know they are giving out vipers to unsuspecting men.
If you are hurt that my money will not be coming to the SW, then work on your attitude. And pls stop quoting me. I'm not marrying you!
hahahhaha and d heediot spews more trash,abeg keep that ur advise to sisters and aunties dey need it more.God forbid ajeokuta mamomi.we are discussing yoruba and ur pathetic life okay

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by toomiesyn: 3:08pm On Dec 30, 2013
Omooba77: My sister; cousin, my wife and sister in law were returned..................

why collect it if it will be returned #just saying javascript:void(0);
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by duni04(m): 3:09pm On Dec 30, 2013
Duke_Nija:

Little wonder why parents no longer accept dowries all in the name of not selling their daughters. Looking at the way you and that Kid called Iya Ngba have been spewing your saliva all over this thread insulting people's opinions show you both lack good morals and tact to make good wives. Why won't yoruba parents protect their kids when they know they are giving out vipers to unsuspecting men.
If you are hurt that my money will not be coming to the SW, then work on your attitude. And pls stop quoting me. I'm not marrying you!
Abi. Upon d cheap price nobody still wants them
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Toks2008(m): 3:10pm On Dec 30, 2013
Duke_Nija:

The truth is as long as the Father gave out his daughter to the Groom, their marriage is acceptable before God and man. Bride price is not a must, its just customary.

Lets get this straight.The fact that you have not paid a bride price does not rule out the fact that you are married if the father and mother consents to your marriage or if you opt for legal wedding.

Bride price is customary and its a tradition that gives respect to the lady. I will like to say again that tradition is the opium of the people hence the need to practice such.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Iykeponti(m): 3:11pm On Dec 30, 2013
Before i ll hand my daughter to anyone, he must pay me all penny i spent on her -,- na my own discussion be dat & no two ways abt it. Raising a bbygal distime is too expensive sad he must pay all wif extra or else,she's going.. nowhere.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Toks2008(m): 3:13pm On Dec 30, 2013
Iykeponti: Before i ll hand my daughter to anyone, he must pay me all penny i spent on her -,- na my own discussion is da & no two ways abt it. Raising a bbygal distime is too expensive sad he must pay all wif extra or else,she's going.. nowhere.

Joking i guess.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by ycmdng(m): 3:21pm On Dec 30, 2013
Omooba77:
my brother if you marry a yoruba lady;culture dictates it must be returned
my brother, returning d money is not part of our (Yoruba) culture but now used as a kind gesture to adorpt the groom as a son and meanwhile the said money cannot equate the money spent on educating the bride period
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by maasoap(m): 3:23pm On Dec 30, 2013
Validated:

However, you spend more in Aso Oke, Party, bride mother and family dressing, etc. At the end, it is just flash!
Honestly speaking, all those money that is usually request for is always small amounts of money. Ranges from N1000 to N3000. In addition, you have give your wife whatever the thing she request for (just one item, it could be money, a promise to give at a later date is also accepted: mainly has to do with Islam). This particular one can be pre-determined between the husband and wife. Then, one or more large bags full of clothes and accessories for your wife, depending on your financial ability. The final day event also depends on loaded the families are.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Iykeponti(m): 3:24pm On Dec 30, 2013
Toks2008:

Joking i guess.
do i luk like a joker?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by maasoap(m): 3:29pm On Dec 30, 2013
Iykeponti: Good idea by Yori-yori pple, cuz most of their women r very ugly -,- giving dem away 4free is really cool.... Once again dey got it right... Kudos....
Except that we don't have too many hairy women in Yoruba land. Women with beard and mustache, how ugly can our women look? Look inwards before spewing rubbish.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by maasoap(m): 3:36pm On Dec 30, 2013
wilbase: This bride price is normally final rite of the African traditional wedding, however some people tend to return it based on what has happen to someone closed to them in the past.
you can call a woman your wife in my place if the family return the bride price( without taking one kobo from it). She is just a mere girlfriend then. hence she is allowed to sleep around and no ripple effect on her. but when the bride price is collected no matter how little, she cant have the thought to going outside. the effect of that action is usually bad. hence the reason why no edo man get married to a woman with out in-law taking something from the bride price.
Lack of ability to comprehend on your part. In-laws collect money and other items from the groom. What we are discussing here is bride price. And for fact that bride price and money and items are collected doesn't mean that a promiscuous woman won't show her true colour. These nairaland kids and their way of reasoning won't kill person.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by whosefault(f): 3:38pm On Dec 30, 2013
na juju yoruba believe in, make you no mind the church them dey go. why would you collect the money in the presence of everybody and return it behind? that is why their girls hop from bed to bed in marriage and it means nothing to them. afterall, i gave you back your money........

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Toks2008(m): 3:40pm On Dec 30, 2013
whosefault: na juju yoruba believe in, make you no mind the church them dey go. why would you collect the money in the presence of everybody and return it behind? that is why their girl hop from bed to bed in marriage and it means nothing to them. afterall, i gave you back your money........

Is it so difficult for us to have healthy discussions?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by ChristyG(f): 3:43pm On Dec 30, 2013
whosefault: na juju yoruba believe in, make you no mind the church them dey go. why would you collect the money in the presence of everybody and return it behind? that is why their girl hop from bed to bed in marriage and it means nothing to them. afterall, i gave you back your money........
why are u describing ur hairy,yam legged women,we already know that.dem full for dat market.e.g afrocandy and cossy.keep d story to urself abeg

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by maasoap(m): 3:44pm On Dec 30, 2013
mount1ng: I attended one that the father of the bride said something that got me thinking. He said the other of his daughter that he returned, is back in his house. It's a shame to a family that a woman married out to return to her father's house. So he is not returning this one.
I guess that's why we have so many divorces. The ladies should tell their father before hand not to return the bride price so that you don't return to your father's house ooo. grin
What a silly way to reason!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by bukatyne(f): 4:02pm On Dec 30, 2013
sexymoma: Cos We Assume We Aren't Giving Out Our Daughter For Money.

But It Biblical To Accept Bride Price.

Where was it written in the Bible tha t the husband must pay bride price
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by rckdude: 4:07pm On Dec 30, 2013
odua boy: Unlike ibos..Yorubas dont sell their daughters with the pretense of bride price.

Must you always compare us with igbos?
Why not the hausas or our neighbours edos?
We needn't turn every issue to tribal bashing. Its their culture and they are not complaining.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Noneroone(m): 4:12pm On Dec 30, 2013
Chaleeee: If I hear say Igbo man return the money!!!!!! Yorubas do not sell their children unlike the igbos. From Yoruba weddings I have witnessed, the average bride price is around N10,000 coupled with yam, fruits and other little things.

My Igbo neighbor has 5 girls and he's always saying he's sending them to sch so that he can use their bride price to buy land and build a new house. The price range can be ridiculous at times.... so families even ask for cars and landed properties in choice areas. Marriage shd be a thing of joy, not a money making avenue
Na lie. Igbos pay higher pride prize 'cos their girls are more expensive, neat,decent,beatiful,intelligent,and above all they respect the family institution while Yorubas dont collect (in the guise of not selling their daughters) because most of their girls are ugly, shapeless, dont know how to cook and dirty. Infact when they become wives they are promiscouos. Thats why many yorubas struggle over Igbo girls despite higher bride prize. Thats the RAW truth.
Oya firing squad...!!!
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by rckdude: 4:14pm On Dec 30, 2013
bfmconcepts:

Bros, leave that one ooooooo.
If you have a well trained daughter, collect correct 'bar' from anyone who wants to marry her.
I love the ibo culture of marriage, just that it should be moderate and they should be considerate as the case may be.
If I train my daughter up to university level and as a well mannered girl, I will collect brand new car as part of the bride material.
It is not easy to train children

So what of your son that you trained up to university level? You should also collect groom price now.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by rckdude: 4:22pm On Dec 30, 2013
Duke_Nija: If they try that return bride price thing with me, I will tell them to marry their daughter. I don't need badluck and witchhunting in my marriage abeg. Marriage is for life, they shouldn't be expecting their daughter back, she's no longer theirs.
Anyway, I know my money will be going to the South east so no worries.

Then its your loss and their gain. Who needs an arrogant in-law like you.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by ChristyG(f): 4:24pm On Dec 30, 2013
Noneroone: Na lie. Igbos pay higher pride prize 'cos their girls are more expensive, neat,decent,beatiful,intelligent,and above all they respect the family institution while Yorubas dont collect (in the guise of not selling their daughters) because most of their girls are ugly, shapeless, dont know how to cook and dirty. Infact when they become wives they are promiscouos. Thats why many yorubas struggle over Igbo girls despite higher bride prize. Thats the RAW truth.
Oya firing squad...!!!
more yibboe animals ranting,u pple and dumb analysis

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by iykofias(m): 4:28pm On Dec 30, 2013
Keke napep n ferrari which is more xpensive?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by rckdude: 4:32pm On Dec 30, 2013
mount1ng: I attended one that the father of the bride said something that got me thinking. He said the other of his daughter that he returned, is back in his house. It's a shame to a family that a woman married out to return to her father's house. So he is not returning this one.

Liar! So how do u explain the ones that are still living happily with their husband?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Dewze(m): 4:40pm On Dec 30, 2013
Toks2008:

Yes very compulsory for virgins only

flesh and bones have not revealed this to you.

You can imagine a woman that has been married once or twice before, and the father is still asking for bride price to be paid again. You dey rent am?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by oluxy(m): 4:41pm On Dec 30, 2013
They believe no amount of money can buy the love of daughter from the parents not even zillion can do that..

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Olugbenger(m): 4:45pm On Dec 30, 2013
felzylix: Cos they know for sure their child is not worth the price been paid
*just trying to b honest

we avoided this on FP but you still had to bring this up?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by duni04(m): 4:49pm On Dec 30, 2013
Christy G: more yibboe animals ranting,u pple and dumb analysis
D truth is bitter
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by ChristyG(f): 4:57pm On Dec 30, 2013
duni04:
D truth is bitter
nah that aint no truth,dat is yibboe truth,to make themselves feel special,dey downgrade others,it is not new to us

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Olugbenger(m): 5:14pm On Dec 30, 2013
duni04: Yoruba gals are very low in demand so guys end up paying almost nothing for them as bride price. That's why d money is eventually returned. Igbo gals are high in demand n low in supply, that's why their own bride price is high. Its simple economics smiley
Cre.tin, listen. . .
gratiaeo:
Look @ them morons! Return of bride price is practice in Igbo land since time immemorial. I am a witness
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Toks2008(m): 5:28pm On Dec 30, 2013
Dewze:

flesh and bones have not revealed this to you.

You can imagine a woman that has been married once or twice before, and the father is still asking for bride price to be paid again. You dey rent am?

You must be kidding! *laughs in Swahili*

What about the ones that have been shagged anyhow by different men. Nna meen, some ladies are better given out freely with a sorry groom price for accepting the overused material. Chai!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Can't The Prophets Be Black ? / Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? / Suspend Emir Sunusi To Allow Proper Investigation - Elders To Kano State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.