Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,927 members, 7,824,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? (32626 Views)

What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? / When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Dec 30, 2013
skydeep:
What were they doing to their wives?

Ehn! Don't tell me you don't know o!

The more expensive the wife, the more the bragging, beating, etc. smiley

Not true for all Igbo marriages sha.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by shegzi(m): 1:12pm On Dec 30, 2013
skydeep:
Irony
since you know better pls do share your perspective
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by DICKtator: 1:12pm On Dec 30, 2013
nekaa: cause the money is too small to be used for anything actually....

Before you start barking and biting; I am a yoruba gal smiley

TF wrong with your head?

Too tall to stand tall? angry angry angry angry

grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by skydeep(f): 1:14pm On Dec 30, 2013
smurfy:

Ehn! Don't tell me you don't know o!

The more expensive the wife, the more the bragging, beating, etc. smiley

Not true for all Igbo marriages sha.
You are confused
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Ezeibe(m): 1:14pm On Dec 30, 2013
Thinking of marrying a yoruba lady.....

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by skydeep(f): 1:15pm On Dec 30, 2013
shegzi: since you know better pls do share your perspective
Of what?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Dec 30, 2013
Should that be attributed to the high level of promiscuity among yoruba women since they're no 'security' bond?grin na joke

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by DollyParton1(f): 1:16pm On Dec 30, 2013
SeaGold: Should that be attributed to the high level of promiscuity among yoruba women since they're no 'security' bond?grin na joke

Dumbass
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by oduaboy1: 1:16pm On Dec 30, 2013
Unlike ibos..Yorubas dont sell their daughters with the pretense of bride price.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Dec 30, 2013
skydeep:
You are confused

No, I'm not. Don't go abusive on me just because you're Igbo and my point bit you hard. wink

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by lacreamilips: 1:17pm On Dec 30, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by skydeep(f): 1:18pm On Dec 30, 2013
smurfy:

No, I'm not. Don't go abusive on me just because you're Igbo and my point bit you hard. wink
I can't abuse you and I have not done that. I just stated the obvious tongue
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Dec 30, 2013
skydeep:
I can't abuse you and I have not done that. I just stated the obvious tongue

You're better off ignored. Just because your Igbo parents sold you to the highest bidder is no reason to come pick fights on NL.

Tell me, what was your selling price? smiley

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Dec 30, 2013
felzylix: Cos they know for sure their child is not worth the price been paid
*just trying to b honest
*carry stone to chase u comot from tread* alakoba grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by iykofias(m): 1:23pm On Dec 30, 2013
lacreamilips: As 4 me a igbo gal, my dad told my guy he doesn't want d money which is 60naria, dat he is selling me but dis made my uncles very angry aft all d money my dad spent on me , my dad told dem off cos none of dem contribute one naria in my education. Its also depend on d gal's famliy wateva her father says is final not tradition.
help me tel them o b4 some morons wil hijack it as their culture.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Mekyno(m): 1:26pm On Dec 30, 2013
hayoakins: cos we dont sell our daughters.

However, the cash isn't giving to the groom but the bride instead. It is up to her to decide how to spend it.

Our daughters/sisters/niece and cousins aren't for sale grin
Ok eee...bt u ppl dee sale b4...at a ridiculous cheap price....were d price of human being is as cheap as 10k...SMH #smiles#
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by striker9(m): 1:29pm On Dec 30, 2013
Chaleeee: If I hear say Igbo man return the money!!!!!! Yorubas do not sell their children unlike the igbos. From Yoruba weddings I have witnessed, the average bride price is around N10,000 coupled with yam, fruits and other little things.

My Igbo neighbor has 5 girls and he's always saying he's sending them to sch so that he can use their bride price to buy land and build a new house. The price range can be ridiculous at times.... so families even ask for cars and landed properties in choice areas. Marriage shd be a thing of joy, not a money making avenue
Don't derail the thread with tribal utterances.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by warrior101: 1:30pm On Dec 30, 2013
They collect the money and then hand it over to the bride. It means they actually collected the money. The message there is to the bride saying its up to you, I'm only doing my part.

hayoakins: cos we dont sell our daughters.

However, the cash isn't giving to the groom but the bride instead. It is up to her to decide how to spend it.

Our daughters/sisters/niece and cousins aren't for sale grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by moscobabs(m): 1:47pm On Dec 30, 2013
because yoruba dnt sell their female children unlike the other tribes
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by DonaldGenes(m): 1:48pm On Dec 30, 2013
professore: Seated in front of the auditorium,just in case we enter the frontpage grin
Fool....hahahaha
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by IYANGBALI: 1:49pm On Dec 30, 2013
Omooba77: It is only the bride price other oh. Other money like owo babagbo; iyagbo; omode ile,arugbo ile..........And fruits,yam, rice, coke and things like that will be collected and shared by nuclear and extended families...............
you forgot to mention owo dindinrin ile,owo amebo ile,owo aje ile and owo gbe simi labe ile
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Orikinla(m): 1:52pm On Dec 30, 2013
I hope Igbos can learn from the Yorubas.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by bfmconcepts: 1:55pm On Dec 30, 2013
Orikinla: I hope Igbos can learn from the Yorubas.

Bros, leave that one ooooooo.
If you have a well trained daughter, collect correct 'bar' from anyone who wants to marry her.
I love the ibo culture of marriage, just that it should be moderate and they should be considerate as the case may be.
If I train my daughter up to university level and as a well mannered girl, I will collect brand new car as part of the bride material.
It is not easy to train children
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Toks2008(m): 2:06pm On Dec 30, 2013
Omooba77: Biblically Bride price is compulsory; though most Yoruba family collect and return it immediately to groom's family.

Yes very compulsory for virgins only
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by philtrum(m): 2:08pm On Dec 30, 2013
just to say to the grooms family that "we are not selling our daughter" and some don't return the whole money, they split it into 2
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by philtrum(m): 2:08pm On Dec 30, 2013
just to say to the grooms family that "we are not selling our daughter" and some don't return the whole money, they split it into 2 and return half
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by hafi(f): 2:13pm On Dec 30, 2013
Returning the brideprice in te Yoruba culture is a sign of goodwill and to show tat no amount can be set on a woman. Returning it is also a sign of goodwill and not for future talk as someone said. If u go to d market and ur money is returned automatically, u and d seller would become friends for a longtime.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by gratiaeo(m): 2:14pm On Dec 30, 2013
odua boy: Unlike ibos..Yorubas dont sell their daughters with the pretense of bride price.
You are daft! my grand mom bride price was returned though it was not a tradition lather a personal decision.
I paid 10k last 2yr as my wife bride price, their parent returned 9k to me.
Bride price in Anambra is around 5k - 15k
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Toks2008(m): 2:14pm On Dec 30, 2013
Bride price according to the bible must not be more than 50sheckels of silver which is about 15usd in today's monetary term. This is a punishment for molestation and there is no where in the entire bible where we are instructed to pay MONATARY bride price if molestation is not involved.

The only normal bride price that came from Abraham to Rebekah was in gift items and not money in any form.

furthermore,bride price are to be paid on virgins alone by the man who defiles them.Deuteronomy 22:28-29 states that "If a man finds a girl who is a virgin, who is not engaged, and seizes her and lies with her and they are discovered,then the man who lay with her shall give to the girl's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall become his wife because he has violated her; he cannot divorce her all his days.

The issue of collecting a stipulated amount of money nowadays is not biblical and its borne out of greed.

But for the fact that most men of nowadays are guilty of violating a lady at one time or the other in our lives, i would suggest that any lady that is not a virgin must not even have any form of bride price paid so i guess we all are paying for another man's sins.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Mrsshady(f): 2:18pm On Dec 30, 2013
Omooba77:

Very interesting....Hearing this for the first time, it is always to the groom's family.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Dec 30, 2013
odua boy: Unlike ibos..Yorubas dont sell their daughters with the pretense of bride price.
igbos are really giving you sleepless night...I just hope you don't drink rat poison

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by gratiaeo(m): 2:23pm On Dec 30, 2013
iykofias: help me tel them o b4 some morons wil hijack it as their culture.
That's problem with yoruba people, before you know it you ll start hearing "we are the only people that return bride price" or "we invented the returning of bride price"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Is There Any Danger In Sleeping With A Widow When Her Hubby Has Not Been Buried? / Suspend Emir Sunusi To Allow Proper Investigation - Elders To Kano State / Why Can't The Prophets Be Black ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.