Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,471 members, 7,823,097 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? (48158 Views)

Which Country Do You Prefere To Imigrate To USA Or UK? / A Nigerian Died Because A Racist Malaysian Hospital Refused Him Treatment(Video) / What Are The Most RACIST Countries? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by cap28: 3:34pm On Jan 01, 2014
In my view both are equally racist.

Both countries look down on blacks, relegate us to the lowest rung of the socio economic ladder and have stereotypical images of how blacks behave and think.

To be accepted by whites in the UK and US as a black person you must be docile, non threatening and submissive in behaviour. Independent thinking outspoken blacks are regarded as "aggressive, confrontational and angry". To get on in the work place in either of these countries you must be willing to accept overt and covert racism with a smile, your feelings do not count and if you refuse to be disrespected or treated as less than a white person you are labelled as an angry, volatile black person with personality problems.Acceptance into both UK and US societies of black people depends very much on how close you are in appearance and behaviour to a white person. Blacks who look black have a harder time getting good jobs and generally gaining access to the finer things in life, wheareas mixed raced blacks are more likely to have an easier time getting jobs - this is very prevalent in the US.

13 Likes

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jan 01, 2014
cap28: In my view both are equally racist.

Both countries look down on blacks, relegate us to the lowest rung of the socio economic ladder and have stereotypical images of how blacks behave and think.

To be accepted by whites in the UK and US as a black person you must be docile, non threatening and submissive in behaviour. Independent thinking outspoken blacks are regarded as "aggressive, confrontational and angry". To get on in the work place in either of these countries you must be willing to accept overt and covert racism with a smile, your feelings do not count and if you refuse to be disrespected or treated as less than a white person you are labelled as an angry, volatile black person with personality problems.Acceptance into both UK and US societies of black people depends very much on how close you are in appearance and behaviour to a white person. Blacks who look black have a harder time getting good jobs and generally gaining access to the finer things in life, wheareas mixed raced blacks are more likely to have an easier time getting jobs - this is very prevalent in the US.

oh that's interesting. And what are we doing about it? We are busy tearing each other down. We should learn from the Asians. If you school in the US, and you see the relationship between the Asians, especially the indians, pakis and koreans, and see the relationship between the Nigerians, you would be ASHAMED to be Nigerian. Truth hurts but must be told.

3 Likes

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jan 01, 2014
Afam4eva: It's also imperative to note that the racism in the UK is more institutional than it is personal. There's an extent to which a black person or a foreigner can progress in the UK. That's why you don't have the likes of Oprah Winfrey, Obama, Condeleza rice etc in the UK. More black people keep getting to the top in the US unlike the UK.

what about the so many Nigerians working for the BBC?
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Afam4eva(m): 3:51pm On Jan 01, 2014
souldust:

what about the so many Nigerians working for the BBC?
Lol grin I'm mentioning Oprah and co and you're mentioning working for BBC as a junior staff. God punish BBC.

2 Likes

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by cap28: 3:52pm On Jan 01, 2014
lafflaff123:

Ignorance they say is BLISS.

Will continue to pray for people like you living in the UK with your small dreams, small cars, small houses, shared toilets, no Parking space, Meat counting in your soup when you have Visitors and the Constant bullying you face in the UK.

The UK is so Racist that the immigration goes into the buses and pick out those that LOOK foreign, to ascertain the status.

The other day on Youtube I saw Immigration randomly picking people that LOOKED different at Stratford Train Station to verify their status. Ever heard the WORD profiling? Let the Immigration try that in the United States and they will make a lot of people rich, but what do blacks like you in the UK like you do? Meekly say than God that's nor me.

Bottom line is, you guys in the UK are a bunch of JOKE and the sooner you guys realize that you are 5th Class Citizens, then the better.

I repeat, the UK is so RACIST, that it makes Russia look like a good vacation spot.

The above is 100% spot on, especially the part about UK immigration openly picking out people who look different at a train station, infact the other day someone was discussing this issue on the radio and comparing UK immigration policy to the facist Nazi persecution of European jews in the 1940s. Many blacks, especially Nigerians are so brainwashed they have no idea of how badly they are treated in this country.

6 Likes

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by cap28: 3:53pm On Jan 01, 2014
PocketEconomist: oh that's interesting. And what are we doing about it? We are busy tearing each other down. We should learn from the Asians. If you school in the US, and you see the relationship between the Asians, especially the indians, pakis and koreans, and see the relationship between the Nigerians, you would be ASHAMED to be Nigerian. Truth hurts but must be told.

I agree, we are a divided people, and that's why we continue to lose out. One thing we have failed to realise is that we are on our own, everyone else sticks together and helps each other except us, we would rather help outsiders than help each other.

4 Likes

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jan 01, 2014
cap28:

I agree, we are a divided people, and that's why we continue to lose out. One thing we have failed to realise is that we are on our own, everyone else sticks together and helps each other except us, we would rather help outsiders than help each other.
do you think the white people would maintain a strangehold on America's wealth if they were divided? Think about this. The Asians have learnt, and they are slowly snatching their own share of the american cake, while the Afro americans and the Nigerians are dragging who is the superior black. SHAME ON THE BLACK RACE (not all sha, the senseless ones)
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jan 01, 2014
Why the black in the USA remain down is because they CHOSE to be down. They say slavery, bla bla bla. My people (IGBO) lost everything 40 years ago, were excluded covertly from a lot of things, coupled with an unfair quota system(a hausa man score 50 stands a better chance than an igbo man who scores 110 in national exams) but we refused to be down, we fought our way through and 40 years later, we are better off economically and educationally. If the Afro americans can adopt such attitude, they will be better off.

4 Likes

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by MsNas(f): 4:09pm On Jan 01, 2014
oroposyndrome: Racism is more in U.S.A than U.K. In addition, if u are a muslim, U.S go be lyk hell 4 u.
Speak for yourself please. I'm a Muslim, I live in the US, and so far, my life is far from hell. Plenty of people know I'm a muslim and they haven't said and done anything to my face. Most of them are just curious
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by imperiouxx(m): 4:10pm On Jan 01, 2014
ITbomb: Everybody who comments on the pages of this thread must go to either USA or UK this wonderful year 2014 IJN Amen.
Click like to claim it

222 people quickly clicked like on Jan 1 and it's still counting......... lols! Omo naija sa. grin grin

If the thread is about dissing US and UK, many among those who clicked like will also be among those saying they hate both places..... Suffering and smiling. cheesy

Don't do your homework correctly to get visa, dey think say na just with a wan faith you go take enter US or UK.

2 Likes

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by cap28: 4:10pm On Jan 01, 2014
Afam4eva: It's also imperative to note that the racism in the UK is more institutional than it is personal. There's an extent to which a black person or a foreigner can progress in the UK. That's why you don't have the likes of Oprah Winfrey, Obama, Condeleza rice etc in the UK. More black people keep getting to the top in the US unlike the UK.

The likes of Condoleeza Rice, Oprah and Obama were allowed to get to where they are by the white power structure. This was done intentionally in order to pacify the masses of angry black americans who were rising up against the system of white supremacy in the 1960s.

These people are a small minority and in no way represent the majority of black americans who are marginalised and discriminated against by white society. They are used by white society to make blacks feel that progress is being made but in reality these people's success has no impact on the life of an ordinary black person in America. Obama cant even pass laws that will redress the years of inequality that blacks have faced in America because if he does the white backlash will be so extreme that he will have to make an immediate u turn.

Both socieites practice institutionalised racism which is racism which permeates all aspects of human life - employment, education, entertainment, sports, judicial system as long as you are black in either of these societies sooner or later you will face racism in some form or another.

More black people are in lower paying jobs, prison, poor housing and have a lower life expectancy in life compared to their white counterparts in the UK and US.

3 Likes

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Afam4eva(m): 4:15pm On Jan 01, 2014
cap28:

The likes of Condoleeza Rice, Oprah and Obama were allowed to get to where they are by the white power structure. This was done intentionally in order to pacify the masses of angry black americans who were rising up against the system of white supremacy in the 1960s.

These people are a small minority and in no way represent the majority of black americans who are marginalised and discriminated against by white society. They are used by white society to make blacks feel that progress is being made but in reality these people's success has no impact on the life of an ordinary black person in America. Obama cant even pass laws that will redress the years of inequality that blacks have faced in America because if he does the white backlash will be so extreme that he will have to make an immediate u turn.

Both socieites practice institutionalised racism which is racism which permeates all aspects of human life - employment, education, entertainment, sports, judicial system as long as you are black in either of these societies sooner or later you will face racism in some form or another.

More black people are in lower paying jobs, prison, poor housing and have a lower life expectancy in life compared to their white counterparts in the UK and US.
Bunkum!

Those people are where they are because they worked for it. The American society gave them that opportunity to succeed which they have done and that opportunity is available to a lot of black people via affirmative action but only the sensible ones are making use of it. We can't keep blaming the white people forever. They used their own hand to stop slavery, segregation and have put black people at an advantage due to the injustice done them in the past and common sense suggests that i will take a lot of time before Black people will catch up with the whites and there's progress in that regard else Barrack Obama wouldn't be the president of America. The truth is still remains that black people in America tend to be more successful than their counterparts in the UK and that's because the society affords them that. You can't say that society is racist, can you?

1 Like

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jan 01, 2014
cap28:

i repeat, what are the black people doing to address the issue. The key to success is education. A lot of black males i know dropped out of school. Is it white people that chased them out? After all, public education is free and qualitative up to high school level. So why drop out? This is just one of the factors holding them down.

1 Like

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by MsNas(f): 4:17pm On Jan 01, 2014
bakynes: I lived in the UK for quite a while bt when the OP talks abt UK or do u mean England? If its the UK generally places like Scotland,wales,Nothern Ireland and North of England like Northumbria,Jordie area (Newcastle/Sunderland) they don't get to see blacks once in a year so when we went there on a field trip they were looking @ us like Aliens, I mean me and some other black coursemate, likewise in the US states like missisippi,Kansas and other Southern states ( forgive me for the spelling) u might equally find little or no blacks nt even African Americans too. Bt like many have said on this thread British pple are more reserved they won't tell u to ur face bt u will read it in their countenance dat they don't like u coz of d colour of ur skin bt the yanks will tell u to ur face they don't like u coz they are more rugged.
Mississippi, Kansas, Arkansas, (all southern states) have a HUGE black population. Mississippi has a very HUGE black population. The say I went to North Little Rock in Arkansas and saw the huge black population, I marveled.

So sir, your figures are incorrect

1 Like 1 Share

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by cap28: 4:18pm On Jan 01, 2014
PocketEconomist: Why the black in the USA remain down is because they CHOSE to be down. They say slavery, bla bla bla. My people (IGBO) lost everything 40 years ago, were excluded covertly from a lot of things, coupled with an unfair quota system(a hausa man score 50 stands a better chance than an igbo man who scores 110 in national exams) but we refused to be down, we fought our way through and 40 years later, we are better off economically and educationally. If the Afro americans can adopt such attitude, they will be better off.

How do you fight a system where racial discrimination is legal?

Black americans could not fight Jim Crow because it was lawful to exclude blacks from equal access to jobs, housing and access to loans.

In the 1940s Roosevelt introduced access to cheap mortgages which gave working class whites access to cheap loans in order to buy houses in the suburbs, blacks were excluded from this BY LAW.

Igbos were not excluded from jobs, schools and housing by law, they were not confined to segregated parts of Nigeria and they were not denied the right to vote there is therefore no comparison between what igbos went through after the civil war and what blacks in America had to endure 100 years after the abolition of slavery.

6 Likes

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by imperiouxx(m): 4:20pm On Jan 01, 2014
Ms Nas:
Mississippi, Kansas, Arkansas, (all southern states) have a HUGE black population. Mississippi has a very HUGE black population. The say I went to North Little Rock in Arkansas and saw the huge black population, I marveled.

So sir, your figures are incorrect

looooooools! You dey mind that one with poor knowledge of what he claims. Let him go to Jackson, Mississippi and see black planet. It's just like Lagos or the whole of Nigeria with scanty whites. You'll hardly see whites because the whites have moved to Madison, Mississippi, which is the next urban area to Jackson.

The southern US linking to ocean used to be the slavery routes in those days, that's the reason why you see such multitude of dark skinned in those regions more than anywhere else in the country.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jan 01, 2014
Afam4eva:
Bunkum!

Those people are where they are because they worked for it. The American society gave them that opportunity to succeed which they have done and that opportunity is available to a lot of black people via affirmative action but only the sensible ones are making use of it. We can't keep blaming the white people forever. They used their own hand to stop slavery, segregation and have put black people at an advantage due to the injustice done them in the past and common sense suggests that i will take a lot of time before Black people will catch up with the whites and there's progress in that regard else Barrack Obama wouldn't be the president of America. The truth is still remains that black people in America tend to be more successful than their counterparts in the UK and that's because the society affords them that. You can't say that society is racist, can you?
This is what i've been trying to say. The Afro American is too paranoid. And this has to stop. You cannot succeed in an enviroment if you believe the enviroment is against you. Abi i lie?
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jan 01, 2014
cap28:

we dont need traitors to succeed in Africa. What i mean is, they will continue to exist and we will continue to make Giant progress, fact!

The only thing we need to succeed as Africans are PanAfricanists. And thank the gods we have so many of them.

When we were pushing for independence, there were those who said we were not ripe for independence. But what happened? We got our independence anyway. We will continue to make progress with traitors around
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by cap28: 4:25pm On Jan 01, 2014
PocketEconomist: i repeat, what are the black people doing to address the issue. The key to success is education. A lot of black males i know dropped out of school. Is it white people that chased them out? After all, public education is free and qualitative up to high school level. So why drop out? This is just one of the factors holding them down.

How do you address an issue when you have no political or economic power. You can have all the education in the world but if its the same oppressor that you have to go cap in hand to ask for a job how are you in a stronger position?

Blacks do not own any substantial businesses in the US, don't even bother mentioning the UK. Power comes from ownership of the means of production, education is all well and good but if at the end of the day you are still going back to the same slave master to beg for a job what does that mean?

The key to success is education IF the people doing the hiring are of the same race as you. Unemployment amongst young black people in the UK is running at over 50%, many of these youths are university graduates. I am told similar figures apply in the UK.

1 Like

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by MsNas(f): 4:29pm On Jan 01, 2014
imperiouxx:

looooooools! You dey mind that one with poor knowledge of what he claims. Let him go to Jackson, Mississippi and see black planet. It's just like Lagos or the whole of Nigeria with scanity whites. You'll hardly see whites because the whites have moved to Madison, Mississippi, which is the next urban area to Jackson.
Loool. He probably hasn't stepped on the shores of America not to talk of setting foot in the south.

Louisiana (especially New Orleans), Tennessee (Memphis), Texas (Houston, Dallas, Austin) Alabama, Kansas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri........ all southern states have a HUGE black populations. Jackson, Mississippi as you said is is black planet cheesy
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jan 01, 2014
cap28:

How do you fight a system where racial discrimination is legal?

Black americans could not fight Jim Crow because it was lawful to exclude blacks from equal access to jobs, housing and access to loans.

In the 1940s Roosevelt introduced access to cheap mortgages which gave working class whites access to cheap loans in order to buy houses in the suburbs, blacks were excluded from this BY LAW.

Igbos were not excluded from jobs, schools and housing by law, they were not confined to segregated parts of Nigeria and they were not denied the right to vote there is therefore no comparison between what igbos went through after the civil war and what blacks in America had to endure 100 years after the abolition of slavery.
Listen, are those laws still in effect in 2014? Is it Jim Crow that makes many black males to boycott school? Or to be hateful towards the African immigrants who in many cases are more educated than them? I cited the Igbo example because i wanted to bring out the point that when one is resolute in his heart that he will succeed, every obstacle becomes a challenge to overcome.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Afam4eva(m): 4:31pm On Jan 01, 2014
Ms Nas:
Loool. He probably hasn't stepped on the shores of America not to talk of setting foot in the south.

Louisiana (especially New Orleans), Tennessee (Memphis), Texas (Houston, Dallas, Austin) Alabama, Kansas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri........ all southern states have a HUGE black populations. Jackson, Mississippi as you said is is black planet cheesy
I was shocked when i saw that post. Those states in the South actually having the highest percentage of blacks in the entire US.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by jaybee3(m): 4:31pm On Jan 01, 2014
Abeg which one be jordie?
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by MsNas(f): 4:36pm On Jan 01, 2014
Afam4eva:
I was shocked when i saw that post. Those states in the South actually having the highest percentage of blacks in the entire US.
Shocked is an understatement. I had to check the figures online again to see if I was missing something. cheesy I live in the south, and 60% of the black here will tell you they're from Mississippi if asked
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by imperiouxx(m): 4:36pm On Jan 01, 2014
Ms Nas:

No state in the US has such large % of black without having whites like those states mentioned. Since he hasn't been there before and also clicked on like on the first post, this will do him good.

Everyone in Jackson, MS looks like a Nigerian..... I thought I was at home.

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jan 01, 2014
cap28:

How do you address an issue when you have no political or economic power. You can have all the education in the world but if its the same oppressor that you have to go cap in hand to ask for a job how are you in a stronger position?

Blacks do not own any substantial businesses in the US, don't even bother mentioning the UK. Power comes from ownership of the means of production, education is all well and good but if at the end of the day you are still going back to the same slave master to beg for a job what does that mean?

The key to success is education IF the people doing the hiring are of the same race as you. Unemployment amongst young black people in the UK is running at over 50%, many of these youths are university graduates. I am told similar figures apply in the UK.
Hmmm, i see. So you are telling me that a highly skilled black population will still be at a disadvantage? The Asian americans are doing very well in CA(LET ME TALK THE ONE WEY I KNOW) That's because they are the most educated minority group. Education is a starting point, the next point would be to harness entrepreneural skills and with many educated blacks, the effects will be praiseworthy.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by justwise(m): 4:39pm On Jan 01, 2014
jay bee: Abeg which one be jordie?

grin grin People from Newcastle
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by cap28: 4:40pm On Jan 01, 2014
Afam4eva:
Bunkum!

Affirmative action is being dismantled in many states in America because whites are against it and do not want blacks to catch up with them in terms of jobs and education.

Slavery was abolished because the northern states of the united states wanted to dominate the economically weaker southern states. The only way they could do this was by abolishing slavery, also north America was at the beginning of an industrial revolution and their industrialists needed large numbers of workers to operate the machinery in their factories hence the need to abolish slavery and move former slaves up north to man the machinery. It didn't make much difference as Blacks were still treated terribly even after the abolition of slavery and had virtually no rights.

Obama does not represent the interest of black people in America as he was selected and groomed for that position by the white establishment. Obama represents the interests of the elite banking institutions. The average black person in America has never had access to the kind of opportunities that were open to Obama.

The average black person in America is likely to be better off than the average black person in the UK but that's not because america is a fairer society but because it is richer with a higher standard of living.

3 Likes

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jan 01, 2014
Afam4eva:
Lol grin I'm mentioning Oprah and co and you're mentioning working for BBC as a junior staff. God punish BBC.

there is a Nigerian British man that is believed to become the next prime minister of the UK. Cant remember his name.

I believe there are Africans at the very height of British civil service.

I love the BBC though

@op, ask yourself which is a bit more Africa friendly, BBC, CNN, FOX, ABC or Aljazeera? For me, the BBC is a bit more friendly and that answers your question
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Afam4eva(m): 4:42pm On Jan 01, 2014
souldust:

there is a Nigerian British man that is believed to become the next prime minister of the UK. Cant remember his name.

I believe there are Africans at the very height of British civil service.

I love the BBC though
Are you referring to Chuka Umunna? Let him become the PM first. Until then, as things stand, the UK seems more institutionally biased towards minority groups.

I hate the boring BBC though.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by cap28: 4:43pm On Jan 01, 2014
PocketEconomist: Hmmm, i see. So you are telling me that a highly skilled black population will still be at a disadvantage? The Asian americans are doing very well in CA(LET ME TALK THE ONE WEY I KNOW) That's because they are the most educated minority group. Education is a starting point, the next point would be to harness entrepreneural skills and with many educated blacks, the effects will be praiseworthy.

Asians in the united states are regarded as honorary whites and are treated better than BLACKS, meaning they stand a better chance of succeeding in a white supremacist system , the same thing applies here in the UK with Asians (Indians, Pakistanis) having access to better jobs and other opportunities than blacks (Africans and carribeans).

Africans are just as well educated as Asians but do not fare as well as them in the US and UK.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

A Black Hawk Helicopter Took Its First Flight Without Pilot On Board / The Following Are The Countries Already In 2019 / The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Living In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.