Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,822 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:50 AM

USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? (48138 Views)

Which Country Do You Prefere To Imigrate To USA Or UK? / A Nigerian Died Because A Racist Malaysian Hospital Refused Him Treatment(Video) / What Are The Most RACIST Countries? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by jaybee3(m): 4:44pm On Jan 01, 2014
justwise:

grin grin People from Newcastle
Lwtmb

Geordie na ihm the guy remix shocked

2 Likes

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by justwise(m): 4:46pm On Jan 01, 2014
jay bee:
Lwtmb

Geordie na ihm the guy remix shocked

grin grin grin

I knew that was why you picked on that particular post
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Segzy23: 4:47pm On Jan 01, 2014
PocketEconomist: Hmmm, i see. So you are telling me that a highly skilled black population will still be at a disadvantage? The Asian americans are doing very well in CA(LET ME TALK THE ONE WEY I KNOW) That's because they are the most educated minority group. Education is a starting point, the next point would be to harness entrepreneural skills and with many educated blacks, the effects will be praiseworthy.

I have to agree with you. You need something to start with, it is all well saying Blacks are not in High positions, but no one will put them in high positions if they don't have the skills. Education is one of the key raw ingredient needed to get people into top jobs, when they become directors, CEOs, they can start their own business and then be employers.

The Asians are doing it, many of them started as Doctors, IT consultants etc before owning their shops or businesses. You need to start from somewhere.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Afam4eva(m): 4:47pm On Jan 01, 2014
cap28:

Affirmative action is being dismantled in many states in America because whites are against it and do not want blacks to catch up with them in terms of jobs and education.

Slavery was abolished because the northern states of the united states wanted to dominate the economically weaker southern states. The only way they could do this was by abolishing slavery, also north America was at the beginning of an industrial revolution and their industrialists needed large numbers of workers to operate the machinery in their factories hence the need to abolish slavery and move former slaves up north to man the machinery. It didn't make much difference as Blacks were still treated terribly even after the abolition of slavery and had virtually no rights.

Obama does not represent the interest of black people in America as he was selected and groomed for that position by the white establishment. Obama represents the interests of the elite banking institutions. The average black person in America has never had access to the kind of opportunities that were open to Obama.

The average black person in America is likely to be better off than the average black person in the UK but that's not because america is a fairer society but because it is richer with a higher standard of living.

My fridnd, stop changing goal post. The reason why slavery was abolished is immaterial. The point is that it was abolished and we have to commend the whites for that cos if black people ever found themselves in a situation where they have pre-eminence over others, it will remain like that till Jesus comes.

And what's your proof that affirmative action is being abolished? Was it removed from law or what? Pls, stop lying to support your warped idea of white people holding black people down.

And whether or not Obama represents black interest is not the point as he's the president of America and not of Black people. The point is that he's black and not just black, he has kenyan heritage and he's the president of the United states of freaking America. He's the most powerufl man in the world and he's black. That shows the tolerant nature of America as a country.

2 Likes

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by kraftyiyk: 4:49pm On Jan 01, 2014
.. both of them i guess angry
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by paris10: 4:52pm On Jan 01, 2014
GustavoFring:

Lol

You are a joke.

How many Nigerians live in Big Houses, drive Big Cars, and Have their own toilets in Nigeria?

I'm a young black man doing extremely well here in the UK, never worked a menial job, and own my own flat.

I drive a Beemer Z4 and I'm loving life.

I'm turned 26 today and I came here in 2010.

I'm living a far better life than I was living in Nigeria and I know so many black people doing fantastically well.

Take a walk through the City of London where I work and you will see so many young/old black professionals.

You mentioned profiling in the UK, how about Nigeria where the police man that is fvcking you up is BLACK LIKE YOU? Where the politician ripping you off is BLACK LIKE YOU? The Kidnapper that bundled you away is BLACK LIKE YOU.

The man that looked you in the eye and sold fake drugs to treat your daughter is FROM YOUR OWN VILLAGE.

Look oga, like I said, you can continue to wallow in ignorance, but I beg you stop perpetuating it.

Good day.

Im happy for you for doing well. But pls lets cut the crap aiit! Just because you're doing well doesnt mean whats been said about UK negatively isnt right..do u get that?

You're part of the less than 1% of Nigerians enjoying life over there... and the rest, well, they just making up the numbers.

Look around your org and the rest of the firms in the city of London you profess you know well...Its always 100/1 (100 of whites and just 1 black man).. this is done to satisfy the equal opportunity code crap thats been put in place.

5 Likes

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by tensor77(m): 4:54pm On Jan 01, 2014
Afam4eva:
Bunkum!

Those people are where they are because they worked for it. The American society gave them that opportunity to succeed which they have done and that opportunity is available to a lot of black people via affirmative action but only the sensible ones are making use of it. We can't keep blaming the white people forever. They used their own hand to stop slavery, segregation and have put black people at an advantage due to the injustice done them in the past and common sense suggests that i will take a lot of time before Black people will catch up with the whites and there's progress in that regard else Barrack Obama wouldn't be the president of America. The truth is still remains that black people in America tend to be more successful than their counterparts in the UK and that's because the society affords them that. You can't say that society is racist, can you?
I am tired of your anti British rantings and ravings. What do you know about England? The truth is that there are not many blacks in the UK(3% of the population) and majority of them are of West Indian extraction who came to England in the 1950s and 1960s to fill blue collar jobs in the Transport and Health sectors. These West Indians,especially the males have remained working class up till today mainly because of their own aspirational levels and educational challenges.
Nigerians came later as students who later became professionals and then went back to Nigeria. However Nigerians that do come here today tend to be graduates and have no difficulty in getting white collar jobs.
The key issue affecting employment in the UK is education and skills competence not skin colour.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by juman(m): 4:54pm On Jan 01, 2014
Americans are fantastic people, barack obama was reelected as president.

1 Like

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by tensor77(m): 4:58pm On Jan 01, 2014
Segzy23:

I have to agree with you. You need something to start with, it is all well saying Blacks are not in High positions, but no one will put them in high positions if they don't have the skills. Education is one of the key raw ingredient needed to get people into top jobs, when they become directors, CEOs, they can start their own business and then be employers.

The Asians are doing it, many of them started as Doctors, IT consultants etc before owning their shops or businesses. You need to start from somewhere.
That's wrong. The Asians came to england as small scale businessmen. But the second generation Indians are very highly educated. That is why you see them well represented in the top jobs in Law, Medicine,Accountancy and Finance
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Italiano1: 4:58pm On Jan 01, 2014
[quote author=Afam4eva]

It's also imperative to note that the racism in the UK is more institutional than it is personal.

On what basis are you making this statement? personal experience? have you lived in the UK? Is it based on any empirical research, evidence of which you can provide?
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jan 01, 2014
paris10:

Im happy for you for doing well. But pls lets cut the crap aiit! Just because you're doing well doesnt mean whats been said about UK negatively isnt right..do u get that?

You're part of the less than 1% of Nigerians enjoying life over there... and the rest, well, they just making up the numbers.

Look around your org and the rest of the firms in the city of London you profess you know well...Its always 100/1 (100 of whites and just 1 black man).. this is done to satisfy the equal opportunity code crap thats been put in place.

Well, England IS a predominantly white country so it comes as no surprise that there are more white people where I work.

However, there are loads of blacks as well.

Britain is a country where you get as much out as you are willing to put in.

Highly educated black people will rise easily.

I happen to know a guy I went to Uni with in Nigeria who is currently earning around 700 pounds a day working as a Network Infrastructure Architect based on his CCIE cert and some work experience.

I know many Nigerians earning around 35-45k pounds annually.

Even today, when the post study work visa has been abolished, the smartest international students are still being recruited and sponsored right from the classroom

On the flipside, I know another guy from my masters course who is currently working as a security guard in primark...

In England, your only limit is you, forget your skin. You get out what you put in.

Real Talk.

2 Likes

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Segzy23: 5:02pm On Jan 01, 2014
cap28:

Asians in the united states are regarded as honorary whites and are treated better than BLACKS, meaning they stand a better chance of succeeding in a white supremacist system , the same thing applies here in the UK with Asians (Indians, Pakistanis) having access to better jobs and other opportunities than blacks (Africans and carribeans).

Africans are just as well educated as Asians but do not fare as well as them in the US and UK.

That is because Africans are not entrepreneurial as Asians. That is the truth. I see how they do their business, they help each other out and they understand what it takes to be a businessman/woman. See, if whites are more inclined to help Asians, it is because they are doing better. If you are a consultant, you will be more inclined to help clients who have a partial solution to their problems than those who are clueless about their problem. That is the way it works.

If they see blacks or a certain group of people as not working hard enough, or lazy, then they will be more willing to help others who are hardworking. Why do you think in black areas, when an African opens an African store/shop, and an Asian opens another store near buy selling the same stuff, more black people tend to buy their African stuff from the Asian shop. Why is that happening? Also, from my observations, most of the supplies to the African shops are done by Asian. Why are blacks not supplying black stores?
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by lepasharon(f): 5:03pm On Jan 01, 2014
A comedian made a joke:

In America you get drive-by shootings

In England you get drive-by racism grin
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by tensor77(m): 5:04pm On Jan 01, 2014
Afam4eva:
Are you referring to Chuka Umunna? Let him become the PM first. Until then, as things stand, the UK seems more institutionally biased towards minority groups.

I hate the boring BBC though.
You are full of hate though. There are still plenty of opportunities for ethnic minorities here regardless of what happens to Umunna. And why should he be PM for that matter? There are other more qualified candidates.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jan 01, 2014
Segzy23:

Thank you! Me and my friends decided to return to Nigeria (unilag) for our Bachelors degree(cheap degree, exploiting the systemtongue cheesy) thereby saving funds and avoiding student loans debt and when we're done we return for our masters and phd. We would have been done if not for ASUU palavar. We want to be lecturers. A white fella once told me i'm a dumb skull, just like my ancestors, he is gonna eat his words VERY SOON. Do you know the effect on black america if every black has a burning desire to prove that he is not a dumbskull.

1 Like

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by jaybee3(m): 5:07pm On Jan 01, 2014
paris10:

I've been working in the city since 2003 and can categorically tell you i've never felt outta place.

Your less than 1% stat is laughable to say the least

Here is me applying common sense without brandishing any stats

There are quite a lot of Nigerians working in different capacities in the following sectors: health, IT, engineering
It would be hard to get reliable figures because it's not out of place to expect quite a chunk of these professionals to identify themselves as black british rather than nigerians
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Segzy23: 5:09pm On Jan 01, 2014
tensor77:
That's wrong. The Asians came to england as small scale businessmen. But the second generation Indians are very highly educated. That is why you see them well represented in the top jobs in Law, Medicine,Accountancy and Finance

Dude, not sure you got my point, in your disagreement you actually proved my point. You said Indians are very highly educated, my point was education is paramount to getting the top jobs. And from there you can own your business or start something. I am not talking about N generation or whatever generation.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by tensor77(m): 5:11pm On Jan 01, 2014
paris10:

You can't just generalise like that.There are plenty of Blacks and Asians who are doing well. The truth is that nobody owes anybody a living here . Its up to the individual to make a success of his life. That starts from paying attention to education and training to being professional at work.
It is also a matter of having the right set of papers. So many illegals here are better off going back home.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by tensor77(m): 5:16pm On Jan 01, 2014
Segzy23:

Dude, not sure you got my point, in your disagreement you actually proved my point. You said Indians are very highly educated, my point was education is paramount to getting the top jobs. And from there you can own your business or start something. I am not talking about N generation or whatever generation.
They, the first generation Indian immigrants were not educated when they came here. That is why they had to find menial jobs or set up their own small scale business.
However they are very disciplined with strong family values and communal ties with the foresight to recognise the value of education. These factors have enabled the 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants to make great advances.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Segzy23: 5:20pm On Jan 01, 2014
paris10:

Sir, i have to tell you that you are misinformed.

I am not sure where you got your 1% stats from. I am sure for you, the world of Nigerians in the UK ends at Peckham. I could take you into my office and you will see many black people doing alright. Whilst we are not as many as the Indians or the Aussies, we are still much more than your 1 in 100 stat. Spending a day outside of some offices after closing time could enlighten you a bit
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jan 01, 2014
tensor77:
They, the first generation Indian immigrants were not educated when they came here. That is why they had to find menial jobs or set up their own small scale business.
However they are very disciplined with strong family values and communal ties with the foresight to recognise the value of education. These factors have enabled the 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants to make great advances.
And this is what the Nigerian/African lack. Discipline and togetherness. They prefer to show off to the less priviledge.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by tensor77(m): 5:26pm On Jan 01, 2014
Segzy23:
That is because Africans are not entrepreneurial as Asians. That is the truth. I see how they do their business, they help each other out and they understand what it takes to be a businessman/woman. See, if whites are more inclined to help Asians, it is because they are doing better. If you are a consultant, you will be more inclined to help clients who have a partial solution to their problems than those who are clueless about their problem. That is the way it works.
If they see blacks or a certain group of people as not working hard enough, or lazy, then they will be more willing to help others who are hardworking. Why do you think in black areas, when an African opens an African store/shop, and an Asian opens another store near buy selling the same stuff, more black people tend to buy their African stuff from the Asian shop. Why is that happening? Also, from my observations, most of the supplies to the African shops are done by Asian. Why are blacks not supplying black stores?
We should distiguish between the Afro Carribeans and Nigerians. The former came to England to fill shortages in the NHS and London Transport. Majority of these Jamaicans have never been able to break out of this working class mould due to their own aspirational issues and educational challenges not to talk of family breakdown. Their own struggles have nothing to do with racism.
Nigerians come here as professionals not traders. There is no issue with that really as the UK is large and developed to employ these professionals with good salaries.
Some other Nigerians simply don't have the right set of papers to get a proper job of work here.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by cap28: 5:26pm On Jan 01, 2014
Segzy23:

That's not true, Africans are entrepreneurial especially Nigerians, but the problem is that we are living in a world where the odds are stacked against us.

The bottom line is that the European would rather aid the progress of an Asian rather than an African.

I will use South Korea as an example - in the 1950s the united states actively assisted this country in its economic development in order to ensure that it did not fall under communist control from china, compare that to the US's involvement in DRC in the 1960s.
DRC has an estimated mineral wealth of $24 trillion, the US rather than aid in the development of that country preferred instead to overthrow a democratically elected prime minister (Lumumba) and impose a corrupt dictator (MObutu) who presided over the economic destruction of that country for over 30 years - what stopped the US from applying the same economic policies that they applied in South Korea to DRC? It is apparent that the Europeans do not want to see the progress of the black African race but would rather over see the wholesale destruction and ra.pe of us and our resources.

Blacks historically are hardworking people, we were instrumental in building the white man's industrialised societies.
Lazy people are not enslaved.

The issue of Asians opening shops in black areas is a big problem which needs to be addressed by black people, as far as I am aware no black person can set up shop in an Asian neighbourhood and expect to be successful so I see no reason why Asians should be allowed to run flourishing businesses in black neighbourhoods, especially given the fact that Asians can not stand black people.

I think the reason blacks patronise Asian shops in black areas goes back to the low self esteem we collectively suffer whereby we accord more respect to foreigners than to each other - this is a legacy of slavery and colonialism.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Sweetlemon(f): 5:28pm On Jan 01, 2014
LMAO at the people arguing here so tey dem dey copy and paste things they know nada about!
grin grin grin

Obviously the people speaking in favour of U.K are Nigerians living in denial in the U.K. There are sooooo many of them like that there. They like to put up the "we are living the life" attitude for us over here, only for you to go there and see things for yourself! Lol!

Abeg! The coloured people having things good in the U.K are either full citizens or rich people who spend good money there! If you wanna live in the U.K as a non-citizen. OYO l'o wa!
But you can have a pretty decent life in the U.S as an average black/coloured person without citizenship IF you work hard enough.
America is a place that rewards hard work, focus, and dexterity. Yea, there are always still the bad as.s racists there who may want to bully you, BUT that's where it ends. Aint nobody stopping your black as.s from being the president if you show them what stuff you've got up there!
In the U.S, Look at the biggest names in the sports and entertainment and entertainment industries, blacks have dominated there! Now they are slowly taking over politics and education.
But unlike the U.K, una go wait taya for a black prime minister o!
And who was that joker who said one Umma is being tipped for prime minister? I'd like to know what kind of bed he sleeps on so I can buy it. I need to have good dreams! Lol!

5 Likes

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by cap28: 5:31pm On Jan 01, 2014
tensor77:
We should distiguish between the Afro Carribeans and Nigerians. The former came to England fto fill shortages in the NHS and London Transport. Majority of these Jamaicans have never been able to break out of this working class mould due to their own aspirational issues and educational challenges not to talk of family breakdown.
Nigerians come here as professionals not traders. There is no issue with that really as the UK is large and developed to employ these professionals with good salaries.

The majority of Nigerians who started coming to this country from the 1990s onwards came as economic refugees fleeing the economic policies of the IMF that were implemented by IBB in Nigeria, this group started doing the unskilled jobs that the second generation west Indians would not do eg working in the London underground, security guards, hospital porters etc.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jan 01, 2014
PocketEconomist: And this is what the Nigerian/African lack. Discipline and togetherness. They prefer to show off to the less priviledge.

Nigerians/Africans do not lack family values, we do not lack togetherness. Last time i checked, we still value the marital institution. This is why a lady approaching 30 and is not married yet, becomes desperate. Family has always being the core of the African society, fact!

If we lack discipline and all the what nots, why then are we still sustainaing ourselves even though we do not boast of a 24hrs power supply?
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by tensor77(m): 5:38pm On Jan 01, 2014
Sweetlemon: LMAO at the people arguing here so tey dem dey copy and paste things they know anything about!
Obviously the people speaking in favour of U.K are Nigerians living in denial in the U.K. There are so many of them like that there. They like to put up the "we are living the life" attitude for us over here, only for you to go there and see things for yourself! Lol!
Abeg! The coloured people having things good in the U.K are either full citizens or rich people who spend good money there! If you wanna live in the U.K as a non-citizen. OYO l'o wa!
You are just trolling. However if the person hasn't got papers let him go home. What has that got to do with racism?
England is not America who can still afford to absorb large numbers of immigrants
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by tensor77(m): 5:41pm On Jan 01, 2014
souldust:
Nigerians/Africans do not lack family values, we do not lack togetherness. Last time i checked, we still value the marital institution. This is why a lady approaching 30 and is not married yet, becomes desperate. Family has always being the core of the African society, fact!
If we lack discipline and all the what nots, why then are we still sustainaing ourselves even though we do not boast of a 24hrs power supply?
That is not the point he was making. He was talking of the close knit cooperative network that enables the Asians and Indians to thrive as Communities.
We all know that Nigerians have strong family values.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jan 01, 2014
Sweetlemon: LMAO at the people arguing here so tey dem dey copy and paste things they know nada about!
grin grin grin

Obviously the people speaking in favour of U.K are Nigerians living in denial in the U.K. There are sooooo many of them like that there. They like to put up the "we are living the life" attitude for us over here, only for you to go there and see things for yourself! Lol!

Your opening statement is a gross indictment of your lack of knowledge and paucity of information

Many foreign-born nationals working in the UK are not citizens but are on a work visa - This includes Fresh graduates sponsored by thier parent companies, Freelance Contractors, Footballers, etc.

All having it good without a British passport.

But you can have a pretty decent life in the U.S as an average black/coloured person without citizenship IF you work hard enough.
America is a place that rewards hard work, focus, and dexterity. Yea, there are always still the bad as.s racists there who may want to bully you, BUT that's where it ends. Aint nobody stopping your black as.s from being the president if you show them what stuff you've got up there!
In the U.S, Look at the biggest names in the sports and entertainment and entertainment industries, blacks have dominated there! Now they are slowly taking over politics and education.
And who was that joker who said one Umma is being tipped for prime minister? I'd like to know what kind of bed he sleeps on so I can buy it. I need to have good dreams! Lol!

Do you know the meaning of the word 'tipped'?

In any case, Chuka has been dubbed the British Obama and a lot of people feel that if there will be a black prime minister, it could be him.

Try to read widely.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Godson201333(m): 5:48pm On Jan 01, 2014
Mr Knowitall:

lol I guess you got me this time. We shall meet again... am using my phone browse thats why.

Me justknowitall how come you fall my hand nah with all the Yankee accent swag??that guy know say nah typo error he just want show you ni
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jan 01, 2014
Sweetlemon: LMAO at the people arguing here so tey dem dey copy and paste things they know nada about!
grin grin grin

na me you dey call joker? Abi you dey craze ni? Lol
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by tensor77(m): 5:49pm On Jan 01, 2014
cap28:
The majority of Nigerians who started coming to this country from the 1990s onwards came as economic refugees fleeing the economic policies of the IMF that were implemented by IBB in Nigeria, this group started doing the unskilled jobs that the second generation west Indians would not do eg working in the London underground, security guards, hospital porters etc.
I don't know what you are on about. That also is their choice remember They don't have to remain as security guards or kitchen porters but even if they do what has that got to do with racism when their contemporaries that came over as post graduate students or highly skilled migrants still got very good jobs.
What are you on about Cap?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

Ghanaian Lady Made To Jump Into Gutter To Pick What She Threw In There (Photos) / A Black Hawk Helicopter Took Its First Flight Without Pilot On Board / Truckload Of Beer Crashes In Akwa Ibom, Residents Get Free Beer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.