Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,067 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba (51473 Views)

Alafin's Supernatural Power Over Other Oba's In Yorubaland / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by PalmTree(m): 9:51am On Jan 04, 2014
ezeagu:

As I said before, don't be silly. She's the last Oba's first child and has been instated which means king makers back her. Who's going to take the crown from the Oba's first issue? Stop.

Why on earth would you argue on matters which you know little or nothing about? If you must know, she isn't the first female Regent in Yoruba land, Akure especially. None became an oba! There is a reason why only females are chosen to be regents (temporary ruler pending the selection of a substantial oba!) It is you who should STOP, READ and LEARN!!!

2 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by barcaboi(m): 9:52am On Jan 04, 2014
How Far?:
I think the Ibos should do what the hausa/fulanis did in Ilorin. She should keep the title because the yorubas enjoy being dominated. If the hausas can do it why not the ibos? I'll be in the sw soon to collect my title as well, fukk it.
Fool....omo ale jatijati.....oya com dominate

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by zolajpower: 9:52am On Jan 04, 2014
Now i see why most tribes are more tolerant than the others. If the reverse where to be the case no igbo man will allow it.

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by barcaboi(m): 9:54am On Jan 04, 2014
ezeagu:

Don't be silly.
He's not silly, dats d fact.....they're no entitled to d throne especially an important one like d Deji
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by barcaboi(m): 9:56am On Jan 04, 2014
ak47mann: Yhe children can be brought up yoruba in some extent but their father will make sure that igbo culture sink inside them.... cool

Lol...ur propaganda too much....what's it wt dis igbo ish.....
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Soreza(m): 9:57am On Jan 04, 2014
To me the man is foolish,i am an igbo guy from anambra to be precise,i wont try that for no reason,if thatz the case the woman married the man not the other way round,when marriage is done u forget ur father,mother,kingdom,and automatically be that of ur husband,so why will the man accept that trash,he has automatically become a fool,1.u now stay in ur wife village,or rubbish kingdom,where she rules,2.u automatically change ur children to yoruba children,(cus hopeful their son will be the king of some rubbish village,that all they can give is cassava.men this totally trash
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ahfo(m): 9:58am On Jan 04, 2014
The position is temporary n customary before the rite is completed for a new Oba so it not something new or special now.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by oduaboy1: 9:58am On Jan 04, 2014
ezeagu:

Okay, If I don't know, why don't you explain. Why can't the issue of the Oba who is already wearing the Oba's full regalia, be the Oba?

Because you know I'm dropping anything for you, I hope you know?
Educate yourself and stop arguing amiss and ignorantly....Male/female regents have no claim to the throne in yorubaland.

odua boy: Regency in Yoruba land is an age old institution. It is a tradition under which women are allowed to hold office as traditional rulers after the death of a reigning monarch pending the installation of a new one.

Taiwo Abiodun recently met some of them and reports
In some towns in Yoruba land, when a king dies, a woman is temporarily put on the throne as a caretaker so as not to leave the throne vacant until another monarch is installed. A Regent is expected to dress and act like a male because, though she is a woman, she is occupying a seat meant for a man and should behave like one. It is a long held tradition that a few of the regents enjoy the influence it confers while some feel it is a post they will rather it is abolished because of the restrictions it imposes on the holder.
The Kalasuwe of Apoi – [March 13, 2011-date]
Princess Joyce Adesola Ibimidun Oladiran-Ebiseni is in her late 40s. She is one of the several daughters of Oba Samuel Adetimehin Oladiran, Ugele Udum III who joined his ancestors in 2007.
Origin of regency stool
According to Kalasuwe of Apoi, “In our tradition, a married woman or a spinster is made a regent instead of a male because it is assumed that a male might not want to leave the throne and thus transform himself to be king. It has happened before. But if a married woman or a spinster is put there she will be yearning to go back to her husband and family while a spinster will be yearning to get married and start her own family.’’
A regent is forbidden from giving birth during her reign so as not to allow crisis to brew in the future, “The child may want to impose himself and believe he has authority like others to become an Oba, forgetting that his mother was an adele or caretaker.”
Princess Oladiran-Ebiseni became the first regent in the history of the community last year March. She was unanimously chosen to lead the Apoi/Ijaw communities until another monarch is picked.
A graduate of Business Administration from the Federal Polytechnic, Ado- Ekiti and Political Science from the University of Lagos she was appointed twice by the Chairman of Ese - Odo Local Government as Special Adviser on Legislative Matters; Women and Special Duties between 2000 and 2003.
She is currently the Executive Director of the Centre for the Rehabilitation of Exceptional Persons (CREP), a Non-Governmental Organization committed to the plight of the less - privileged.
Her people, the Apois, are Yoruba speaking Ijaws, in the Niger Delta spreading from Bayelsa to Ondo State. They are mainly divided into nine principal communities of Sabomi, Oboro, Kiribo, Igbobini, Igbekebo, Inikorogha, Ojuala, Igbotu and Ipoke. The nine communities operate as a federation with each having its own Oba with Kalasuwe as the paramount ruler.
The stool of the Kalasuwe was among the earliest recognized by the Europeans. At the compilation of list of recognized Nigerian traditional rulers in 1924, the Kalasuwe also known as the “Oba of Ijaws” was among the highest ranked.
Speaking on what she does, she said, “With the assistance of my chiefs and community elders I have settled many disputes. In fact, I am spending more money contrary to the people’s thought that I will be receiving more. But I must confess that it shows that what a man can do a woman can also do better. I am the first regent in the land and I am highly supported. My husband calls me Kabiyesi.”
She has in her wardrobes over 200 Yoruba male flowing gowns [agbada], and many male traditional caps from gombo, abeti aja.
She is also eager to see that a substantive monarch is chosen so as to allow her continue her normal run of life. Reflecting on her tenure, she said, “I have served my people and my conscience is clear. I want the kingmakers to quickly choose their monarch and for me to go back to my family. I want to go back to my family. I am missing my children especially. What pains me most is my organization that I left. I have little time for the it now but that notwithstanding I still take the sick to the hospital which I had been doing before I was called to become the regent.”
http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/sunday-magazine/arts-life/42311-amazing-world-of-female-regents.html

2 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by barcaboi(m): 9:59am On Jan 04, 2014
ezeagu:

As I said before, don't be silly. She's the last Oba's first child and has been instated which means king makers back her. Who's going to take the crown from the Oba's first issue? Stop.
U obviously know nothing abt tradition...if u don't,watch more superstory because the last one had a story of Adele...its a temporary title till a new ruler is installed
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:01am On Jan 04, 2014

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by chi4ik(m): 10:02am On Jan 04, 2014
The only wife of Igwe of my village is a Fulani woman, by culture $ tradition she is not suppose to b Lolo of igbo Land but after dialogue $ consultation even from government, my people then permitted her. So the Lolo of my vilage is a Fulani woman $ she is doing perfectly well in a work as Lolo, settling dispute, speaking 4 women, orphans $ less privileged, in fact she awesome..
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by barcaboi(m): 10:03am On Jan 04, 2014
ezeagu:

Okay, If I don't know, why don't you explain. Why can't the issue of the Oba who is already wearing the Oba's full regalia, be the Oba?

Because you know I'm dropping anything for you, I hope you know?
check the pics of the Regent...dats not the main crown....it is the only 1 she's entitled to...browse and see d main crown obas wear especially in coronations
This is not politics where Acting president becomes Presido
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by simpleseyi: 10:03am On Jan 04, 2014
ak47mann: Mrs Dike an Igbo Citizen by Marriage to become the first Female Oba in Yorubaland! Her First Child an Igbo by Birth(Product of Adetutu Adesida & Mr. Dike) would likely become the Next Oba after the reins of the new Regent

She already had male and female children from Mr. Dike and as customs demands the Children, both of them are Prince and princess and the right for the inheritance of the throne is assured cool

http://dailypost.com.ng/2013/12/29/new-regent-installed-akure/

Op is a miserable liar. Children from female child of the King can never ever become kings. Ask any Yoruba man. Female children of kings are intentional made Regents because the female children know that they can never be king, so when they are made Regents, they do not try to perpetuate themselves in the position.

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:04am On Jan 04, 2014
chi4ik: The only wife of Igwe of my village is a Fulani woman, by culture $ tradition she is not suppose to b Lolo of igbo Land but after dialogue $ consultation even from government, my people then permitted her. So the Lolo of my vilage is a Fulani woman $ she is doing perfectly well in a work as Lolo, settling dispute, speaking 4 women, orphans $ less privileged, in fact she awesome..

You Igbos have no respect for Traditional Institutions.

You even made akatats and GEJ your Chiefs.

so Im not surprized.

2 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Chimzy2(m): 10:11am On Jan 04, 2014
St_Black:

The Joy is SO SO evident, further EXEMPLIFIED by the OP creating a thread all because a Yoruba-turn-Ibo is been made Adele. grin

No wonder when I try my possible best to persuade my Iboe friend Omokaro to stop been much Yoruba AND try been Ibo-like a bit , bro, my friend will just call it bluffs. grin grin

...but its just fun with him, not that I take it seriously sha. grin
and who told u that omokaro is a igbo name?...so any body that is not from west or north is automatically from south east abi?...smh for u...this country will never progress until we change our tribalistic mentality and it begins with people like u!
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ifeomabernard(f): 10:13am On Jan 04, 2014
masseratti: Do you guys understand what a regent mean?
Na wa ooo
Its a good and beautiful thing when to culture,tribe,ethnic group intermarry,but their children can not be heir to the throne,she is a regent,called Adele in yorubaland,not an Oba.

What the heck is an Igbo citizen?is Ig I a country,nation or a state?

Do they teach you guys how to spin stories or what ?
Can u please elaborate a lot of us dnt knw much bout ur culture or shut d f**k up!
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by delvinmaya(m): 10:18am On Jan 04, 2014
@ ndu_chucks, from some posts you would have realized the truth, as all posters repeat the same thing. now let me do my best to explain. not just for you but for those who don't understand. First she's a regent. Adele, holding forth the throne till another king is installed. she can be there for up to 10 years, as long as the kingmakers are still deliberating on who becomes king next. She is supposed to act manly, doesnt mean she must do so in private. On the issue of her children becoming oba, its nigh impossible. Once an akure princess marries out, her children can never become king. Theres this case of a money lender in Akure, very popular one, his mother was a princess and he tried contesting for the throne before the one that was chased away was made king. On account of his mother marrying out, he was never considered. Thats Akure for you. Yes, the Dike's can claim princes and princesses, but thats where the buck stops. A person mentioned Isolo, the Adesida's from isolo are likely to produce the next deji. And yes, the name Adesida seems to be a must before you become king. Doesnt matter what agbole or compound. As long as you are an Adesida. The family in question are Dike, so my friends, its so impossible, infact, if it happens, maybe a thousand years from now.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Reptyle(m): 10:18am On Jan 04, 2014
DerideGull:

How many royal families do you have in Yoruba land or does it mean every family in Yoruba land is royal family?

The Akure monarchical system is designed so that there are several traditional ruling families. The throne is rotated among these families. once it is the turn of any of the ruling houses, any male member of that family can aspire to become oba. The oracle will ultimately decide who mounts the throne. The new Oba will then sit on the throne until his death or deposition as was the case with the penultimate Oba who was deposed by Mimiko's government for assaulting one of his wive's physically. The throne then rotates to the next ruling house.

Following the death of the king, a regent, usually his first daughter is appointed to oversee the affairs of the kingdom pending the conclusion of the burial rites of the deceased king and the installation of a new king. She is not referred to as an Oba but as Adele. I do not know for sure why it has to be a woman. my guess is that they need someone who isnt under any illusions about the specificity of the temporary nature of her role and might begin to suffer delusions of grandeur and aspire to become permanent.

Traditionally, a woman cannot be King in yoruba land, but there have been situations where a regency lasts for years...even decades.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ChristyG(f): 10:20am On Jan 04, 2014
ifeomabernard:

Can u please elaborate a lot of us dnt knw much bout ur culture or shut d f**k up!
are u blind or wat?ave u not seen the replies given by yoruba posters.read from page before u start openinig mouth anyhow.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ChristyG(f): 10:20am On Jan 04, 2014
ifeomabernard:

are u blind or wat?ave u not seen the replies given by yoruba posters.read from page 1 before u start openinig mouth anyhow.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by AreaFada2: 10:21am On Jan 04, 2014
Actually if we want to be objective without any silly tribalism, a person called Mr Dike can easily be an Ododuwa descendent.

There are royal houses in Anioma originally from Benin royal family. And Benin royal family descend from Ododuwa.

We need to realise that despite the despicable tribalism people display these days, we can't do much to change reality of history.

We can try to distort it, but reality remains reality.

We also need to realise that Ododuwa's blood extends beyond modern Yorubaland. It's is not always synonymous with being a Yoruba.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Bollyfag: 10:24am On Jan 04, 2014
I can't stop laughing. It's a tradition in Akureland that the first female child of an Oba (traditional head), is made regent (one who rules during the minority, absence, or disability of a monarch) after the demise of her father. Women aren't corronated in Yorubaland. Her duty is to occupy her father's vacant sit, while ensuring the wellbeing of the kingdom; pending the time a new monarch is appointed from another ruling house/clan, by the kingmakers (the afobaje's'). The process is repeated if d appointed Oba dies again in future. Examples of places ruled by regents who are daughters of late Obas include Ido-ani and Uso in Ondo state.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Tville(m): 10:27am On Jan 04, 2014
The original post is misleading. First, a Adetutu Adesida-Dike is not a king but a regent. Hence, her reign is temporary. Second, if she were to be a king, she wouldn't even be the first female oba (not regent) in Yoruba land. It is on record that a couple of women were installed as kings in Ife and Abeokuta in distant past. This I got to know when I was researching on the image of the woman in Yorubaland.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by okavango: 10:28am On Jan 04, 2014
This information is highly misleading just as it is empty.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Reptyle(m): 10:31am On Jan 04, 2014
The link below makes for interesting reading on the subject matter:

http://taiwosworld..com/2012/07/female-regents.html
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by victorazy(m): 10:35am On Jan 04, 2014
shocked what a coinsidence; am writing a book of Dike shocked
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by RedReact: 10:37am On Jan 04, 2014
Hey!! Everyone stop fighting here sad sad sad sad sad sad
Akure is a no mans' land wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Nobody: 10:40am On Jan 04, 2014
My name is uche does that make me an ibo man?
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ifeomabernard(f): 10:41am On Jan 04, 2014
Christy G: are u blind or wat?ave u not seen the replies given by yoruba posters.read from page 1 before u start openinig mouth anyhow.
#dayum
I'm tryin xo hard to ignore d crop outta d crap u just said and as a matter of fact I waz referin to him and nt her
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by cashkid18(m): 10:44am On Jan 04, 2014
RedReact: Hey!! Everyone stop fighting here sad sad sad sad sad sad
Akure is a no mans' land wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
grin grin grin grin,akure is no man's land dts why am plannin to run for deje's position in future cheesy cheesy
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Psychedelia(m): 10:44am On Jan 04, 2014
Inter-tribal marriages can be soooo cute.

But @OP: What's all this misleading "Igbo citizen" talk? I didn't know they were sharing passports. Where do I get mine

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Nigerians React To Oba Of Lagos Palace Fire Incident / Oba Ewuare Rides In His Rolls Royce For Thanksgiving. PICS / Anambra Masquerade Burnt to Death During Cultural Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.