Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,087 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba (51474 Views)

Alafin's Supernatural Power Over Other Oba's In Yorubaland / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ChristyG(f): 10:44am On Jan 04, 2014
ifeomabernard:
#dayum
I'm tryin xo hard to ignore d crop outta d crap u just said and as a matter of fact I waz referin to him and nt her
whatever!open ur eyes and read next tyme.dat is not so hard to do.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by victorazy(m): 10:44am On Jan 04, 2014
Oshiano: My name is uche does that make me an ibo man?

Andoni man? Xtrem com
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by eskahy(m): 10:46am On Jan 04, 2014
[color=#990000][/color]hmmm mewa nshele ;Dhmmm mewa nshele
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by vivalavida(m): 10:46am On Jan 04, 2014
Hey folks,thanx for the lecture on yoruba traditions. It was quite enlightening. Yes she is a regent. But you all know that getting an oba in a yoruba land sometimes take time due to the in-fighting btw the royal family houses. She is born yoruba and married to an igbo man.In my place i.e igbo land,we believe a woman has no tribe,village,church etc till she gets married. Therefore Adetutu Adesida is now Mrs Dike,an Igbo woman.
The essence of what i am writing is for you yoruba folks to remember that @ a time,the igbo's through Mrs Dike presided over one of your kingdoms. Hahahahahaha. This same shit cant take place in Igbo land ooo. tongue. I come from a royal family too. My grandad is an Eze
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by seunmsg(m): 10:47am On Jan 04, 2014
Mayor_of_Lagos:

We dont yet know she is married to Iboman. It is assumed to be so by the op who thinks only Ibo have the Dike name anywhere in the world.

If it is ultimately revealed that she is married to Ibo and Dike is an Iboman then the op will be correct and indeed I will say congratulations to Ibo people for politically and culturally scoring one over the Yorubas.

Kings give off their daughters to strenghten alliance with other Kings and cultures. In this case Adesida was looking for an alliance with Ibos. For Ibos looking for homes and lands in SW to settle, Akure will be your surrogate home since a future crown head of that domain carry the Ibo gene. When eventually he becomes King Dike, Deji of Akure, you have a political windfall in Yorubaland. THIS IS ONLY ON ASSUMPTION THAT THIS DIKE IS IBO. grin

Your submissions are very wrong sir. A regent is just an acting oba installed until the kingmakers finally select a substantive king. In yoruba culture, the first daughter of the late king is usually installed as the regent. The choice of the female child is based on the believe that a lady will willingly vacate the throne when the substantive king is selected unlike a male child who may not want to exit the throne again.

The children of the regent has no right to the throne except she is married to a prince from another ruling house. In the case of Adetutu Adesida-Dike, she's married to an igbo man, so, her children are igbo's and not Yoruba. They can only be king in igboland and not Akure.

The next king will come from another ruling house in Akure and not from the family/ruling house of the late king. Kingship in Yoruba land is rotated among families that are entitled to the throne.

4 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by amnestylaw1(m): 10:48am On Jan 04, 2014
ezeagu:

Even though their father may be Igbo, I believe they may be brought up Yoruba. And I'm not sure if she's the first Oba.
Some people are misinterpreting the information. Go to the link (and not the OP's post) to get the real, and full story. The woman is not Igbo, her father was not Igbo, she PROBABLY was married to Igbo. No where in the original story did it say her husband would, could, or may take over the throne. This is a part of the original story:

[/quote] Adesida-Dike, a United States of America (USA)- based pharmacist will be on the throne until the installation of another Monarch [/quote].
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by amnestylaw1(m): 10:50am On Jan 04, 2014
seunmsg:

Your submissions are very wrong sir. A regent is just an acting oba installed until the kingmakers finally select a substantive king. In yoruba culture, the first daughter of the late king is usually installed as the regent. The choice of the female child is based on the believe that a lady will willingly vacate the throne when the substantive king is selected unlike a male child who may not want to exit the throne again.

The children of the regent has no right to the throne except she is married to a prince from another ruling house. In the case of Adetutu Adesida-Dike, she's married to an igbo man, so, her children are igbo's and not Yoruba. They can only be king in igboland and not Akure.

The next king will come from another ruling house in Akure and not from the family/ruling house of the late king. Kingship in Yoruba land is rotated among families that are entitled to the throne.

You, sir, have got brain. Thank you for the clarification.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by amnestylaw1(m): 10:53am On Jan 04, 2014
vivalavida: Hey folks,thanx for the lecture on yoruba traditions. It was quite enlightening. Yes she is a regent. But you all know that getting an oba in a yoruba land sometimes take time due to the in-fighting btw the royal family houses. She is born yoruba and married to an igbo man.In my place i.e igbo land,we believe a woman has no tribe,village,church etc till she gets married. Therefore Adetutu Adesida is now Mrs Dike,an Igbo woman.
The essence of what i am writing is for you yoruba folks to remember that @ a time,the igbo's through Mrs Dike presided over one of your kingdoms. Hahahahahaha. This same shit cant take place in Igbo land ooo. tongue. I come from a royal family too. My grandad is an Eze

Who follows this kind of barbaric logic these days? To say a woman has got no tribe until she is married. Wake up (wo)man to the 21st century and stop being happy about the gender-based discrimination that your culture promotes... It is Yorubaland where women are regarded such that the are installed Obas. By the way, she was not the first Oba in Yoruba history. Look to the listbelow and you'll see that the 21st Oooni of Ife was female.

1ST ODUDUWA

2ND OSANGANGAN OBAMAKIN
3RD OGUN
4TH OBALUFON OGBOGBODIRIN
5TH OBALUFON ALAYEMORE
6TH ORANMIYAN
7TH AYETISE
8TH LAJAMISAN
9TH LAJODOOGUN
10TH LAFOGIDO
11TH ODIDIMODE ROGBEESIN
12TH AWOROKOLOKIN
13TH EKUN
14TH AJIMUDA
15TH GBOONIJIO
16TH OKANLAJOSIN
17TH ADEGBALU
18TH OSINKOLA
19TH OGBORUU
20TH GIESI
21ST LUWOO (FEMALE)
22ND LUMOBI
23RD AGBEDEGBEDE
24TH OJELOKUNBIRIN
25TH LAGUNJA
26TH LARUNNKA
27TH ADEMILU
28TH OMOGBOGBO
29TH AJILA-OORUN
30TH ADEJINLE
31ST OLOJO
32ND OKITI
33RD LUGBADE
34TH ARIBIWOSO
35TH OSINLADE
36TH ADAGBA
37TH OJIGIDIRI
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by squaddy(m): 10:54am On Jan 04, 2014
Mayor_of_Lagos:

Calm down! Dike is not her surname, Dike is her married name; Adesida is her surname. I know you want to own Yorubaland and you are likely close to it if this proves true but until then, calm down.

We dont yet know who Dike is and if he is Ibo or not. Ibos answer Dike in Nigeria but so do foreigners outside Nigeria.

I am not biased on the truth of Dike being Ibo it just points to the carelessness of Yoruba in guarding their thrones against foreign invasion. Thats all!

Two words describe you perfectly...a FOOLISH FOOL

What is all the rantings for? Dike himself does not want the cursed throne neither does he want any of his seeds to sit on an mgbati mgbati kilo this kilo that throne so why all this stupid talk about wanting to dominate??..you guys are just silly as always

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ChristyG(f): 10:55am On Jan 04, 2014
vivalavida: Hey folks,thanx for the lecture on yoruba traditions. It was quite enlightening. Yes she is a regent. But you all know that getting an oba in a yoruba land sometimes take time due to the in-fighting btw the royal family houses. She is born yoruba and married to an igbo man.In my place i.e igbo land,we believe a woman has no tribe,village,church etc till she gets married. Therefore Adetutu Adesida is now Mrs Dike,an Igbo woman.
dat is in iboland not yoruba.she is viewed as yoruba woman,d first daughter of an oba and not an ibo woman.it doesnt work like dat.

4 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by BlackHuman(m): 10:57am On Jan 04, 2014
"REGENT" DEFINITION- "one who reigns" is the informal or formal term given to a temporary, acting head of state in a monarchy.

"A person appointed to administer a state because the Monarch is a minor, abscent or is incapacitated"- OXFORD DICTIONARY
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ChristyG(f): 10:58am On Jan 04, 2014
squaddy:

Two words describe you perfectly...a FOOLISH FOOL

What is all the rantings for? Dike himself does not want the cursed throne neither does he want any of his seeds to sit on an mgbati mgbati kilo this kilo that throne so why all this stupid talk about wanting to dominate??..you guys are just silly as always
any why are u ranting?u are so blind not to ave noticed that it was ur ibo brothers who started dis dumb thread,ranting about ibo occupying a yoruba throne when they ave absolute no idea about yoruba culture.park well joor

3 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by akposking(m): 11:00am On Jan 04, 2014
Na so.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by RedReact: 11:00am On Jan 04, 2014
cashkid18: grin grin grin grin,akure is no man's land dts why am plannin to run for deje's position in future cheesy cheesy
What's the meaning of the word in bold? angry angry angry
Besides, se o ti f'ejo se bante ri?
Se o ti aake si gbere l'ori ogo ri?
Se o tu bawon irunmole fagbo ri?
Se o ti kiisi sebe ati oka ri?
Se o ti ba awon oshoro-manger se ipade lori afefe ri?
Se won ti fi tabatiada s'ase lori ri e?
Se o le rin ni'hoho l'aginju awon iya?

3 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by amnestylaw1(m): 11:01am On Jan 04, 2014
The first female Oba was the 21st Ooni of Ife. The Regent of Akure cannot and will not be the first female Oba.
1ST ODUDUWA

2ND OSANGANGAN OBAMAKIN
3RD OGUN
4TH OBALUFON OGBOGBODIRIN
5TH OBALUFON ALAYEMORE
6TH ORANMIYAN
7TH AYETISE
8TH LAJAMISAN
9TH LAJODOOGUN
10TH LAFOGIDO
11TH ODIDIMODE ROGBEESIN
12TH AWOROKOLOKIN
13TH EKUN
14TH AJIMUDA
15TH GBOONIJIO
16TH OKANLAJOSIN
17TH ADEGBALU
18TH OSINKOLA
19TH OGBORUU
20TH GIESI
21ST LUWOO (FEMALE)
22ND LUMOBI
23RD AGBEDEGBEDE
24TH OJELOKUNBIRIN
25TH LAGUNJA
26TH LARUNNKA
27TH ADEMILU
28TH OMOGBOGBO
29TH AJILA-OORUN
30TH ADEJINLE
31ST OLOJO
32ND OKITI
33RD LUGBADE
34TH ARIBIWOSO
35TH OSINLADE
36TH ADAGBA
37TH OJIGIDIRI
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by SPSpecial(m): 11:01am On Jan 04, 2014
[quote author=vivalavida]Hey folks,thanx for the lecture on yoruba traditions. It was quite enlightening. Yes she is a regent. But you all know that getting an oba in a yoruba land sometimes take time due to the in-fighting btw the royal family houses. She is born yoruba and married to an igbo man.In my place i.e igbo land,we believe a woman has no tribe,village,church etc till she gets married. Therefore Adetutu Adesida is now Mrs Dike,an Igbo woman.
The essence of what i am writing is for you yoruba folks to remember that @ a time,the igbo's through Mrs Dike presided over one of your kingdoms. Hahahahahaha. This same shit cant take place in Igbo land ooo. tongue. I come from a royal family too. My grandad is an Eze[/quote

what are u saying, she is born of a Yoruba blood. She is an absolute Yoruba indigene. Her children can only be of the igbo blood. That she married an igbo man has not automatically transform her to an igbo blood except for her children.

2 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ifeomabernard(f): 11:03am On Jan 04, 2014
Christy G: whatever!open ur eyes and read next tyme.dat is not so hard to do.
Wat d heck is ur problm u dis chri wateva by d way u realy need to pay attension to english classes!
www.bizibody.org

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by KDULAR: 11:03am On Jan 04, 2014
barcaboi:
She's definitely not d 1st Regent...don't mind the guy....Ijebu had a female Regent too in history
The Awujale stool was occupied by females at least two times in past not as regent but as substantive Awujale.

You don't have problems with them but they are eternally bitter and will do all they think they can to debase and soil what you have. They eat all good things till overfill but are still famished, they are always deluded with being the best yet they know no rest because they are not introspective to see why others now avoid them( When a prominent member of another clan said something about them that is believed to have been an indication of the mistrust brewing against it was rather than take a cue and retrace steps and action but whisked aside calling members of that clan fools, idiots' and stupid; years after, the product of these exploded disappointingly today same is repeating itself in a bigger magnitude ). They are now so much engrossed with vengeance, aggression and power that the loss of the supposedly gains is imminent.

Rather than learn to be at least quiet, observe and be open, they become as the pestle which knows no peace. What you gave is what you get in good measure, pressed down shaken and running over so says the Good Book, if you can show sincerity in your so called brotherliness and become open in your dealings with others like they do to you, then you will see your potentials towering where you think you ought to be. You cannot be sowing bitterness and expect love progress you'll only get what you sow. Agree with this if you want wish to or can others will be moving forward and getting their way but when you've even gotten it as you had in previous times you will not recognize it and act likewise but will still be acting the hurt loser and bitter. To whom this seem to affecst let him/her hear what the SPIRIT OF NIGERIA is saying.
grin grin grin grin
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by chi4ik(m): 11:04am On Jan 04, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:

You Igbos have no respect for Traditional Institutions.

You even made akatats and GEJ your Chiefs.

so Im not surprized.
your problem is that you ar Educated illiterate, your mate ar looking for peace, love $ Unity of Nigeria $ U ar here insulting great Igbo Land. I'm just so sorry for you.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by fowowe411: 11:06am On Jan 04, 2014
Happy for them,but must you guys turn every thread to tribal bashing?Smh.@op You are wrong,her children will never reign not because she married to a iboman but because in Yoruba tradition setting a child related to the crown through a woman is not fit to become the king.@all if I'm to judge with Nairaland I will say the hate btw Yoruba/ibo is at its peak which is not so in the outside world.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by mightycrown: 11:06am On Jan 04, 2014
This is a good development. i have no doubt it will encourage the
long-awaited unity, love, mutual respect etc among the tribes if
other tribes will give inter-marriage a free hand among all classes
(I mean including the nobles). this will produce a powerful and
indomitable nigeria nation that will be free from all forms of crisis.
however, I have 99.9% doubt if this can be allowed to happen in
the SE. I stand to be enlightened if it has been or can be in SE
(with proof).
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by badmeat(m): 11:10am On Jan 04, 2014
grin,unity in diversity!grin
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by squaddy(m): 11:11am On Jan 04, 2014
Christy G: any why are u ranting?u are so blind not to ave noticed that it was ur ibo brothers who started dis dumb thread,ranting about ibo occupying a yoruba throne when they ave absolute no idea about yoruba culture.park well joor

Really? Are you serious? Did your maths teacher tell you counting begins from 3?...read the first page and see how your tribalistic bigots brethren started spewing trash from the onset...if it hurts you that bad,Cry me a river undecided..

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by BlackHuman(m): 11:12am On Jan 04, 2014
This whole arguments remind me of my favorite film series- GAME OF THRONES....now I feel like watching it...
could dis woman be the next DENEARYS TAGAEREAN?
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by vivalavida(m): 11:15am On Jan 04, 2014
Christy G: dat is in iboland not yoruba.she is viewed as yoruba woman,d first daughter of an oba and not an ibo woman.it doesnt work like dat.

You are the one who view her that way. Other non yorubas see her as an igbo woman
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by VirginFinder: 11:17am On Jan 04, 2014
Ngwakwe: The Igbos easily integrate with other ethnicities and civilisation without prejudice but the same can't easily be said for average Yoruba or Hausa born and bred.

In the East, it takes one out of four to ten to see an Igbo person fluent in Yoruba, Hausa or even Ibibio.

Everything is possible to him that will integrate out of will and desire to belong.

Moreover, don't forget the Imo State House of Assembly majority leader is a Yoruba woman married in Imo State.

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ejagbangba: 11:18am On Jan 04, 2014
is like u guys dnt undastant d rules of kingship.d only condition where regents' offsprings can become king is "if while on throne,d regent give birth 2 a male child"?,den d child can eventually b crowned as d king.......no wonda princesses dat hav stoped givin birth are bin appointed in most cases.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by amnestylaw1(m): 11:18am On Jan 04, 2014
vivalavida:

You are the one who view her that way. Other non yorubas see her as an igbo woman

That is not true. Other Yoruba's, a part of which I belong, see her as a Yoruba woman. Does a Nigerian woman married to an Oyinbo automatically becomes Oyinbo? Does a Yoruba married to British becomes Briton?
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Nobody: 11:19am On Jan 04, 2014
And why are you taking this too personal? It doesn't add any value to your lives. For your information, the more words you say, the more common/cheap your opinion is perceived to be. Always be precise and straight to the point.

Remember, Much Wisdom Often Goes With Fewer Words.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by BlackHuman(m): 11:19am On Jan 04, 2014
Well, me I can't shout because I know the only time this argument will stop is when the new deji is sworn in and the d lady eventually vacates the post.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:20am On Jan 04, 2014
Psychedelia: Inter-tribal marriages can be soooo cute.

But @OP: What's all this misleading "Igbo citizen" talk? I didn't know they were sharing passports. Where do I get mine

STFU JOOR! WATS CUTE ABOUT BREEDING HALF-BREDS?

SE.X STARVED INDIVIDUALS.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ekitikan(m): 11:20am On Jan 04, 2014
Mayor_of_Lagos:

We dont yet know she is married to Iboman. It is assumed to be so by the op who thinks only Ibo have the Dike name anywhere in the world.

If it is ultimately revealed that she is married to Ibo and Dike is an Iboman then the op will be correct and indeed I will say congratulations to Ibo people for politically and culturally scoring one over the Yorubas.

Kings give off their daughters to strenghten alliance with other Kings and cultures. In this case Adesida was looking for an alliance with Ibos. For Ibos looking for homes and lands in SW to settle, Akure will be your surrogate home since a future crown head of that domain carry the Ibo gene. When eventually he becomes King Dike, Deji of Akure, you have a political windfall in Yorubaland. THIS IS ONLY ON ASSUMPTION THAT THIS DIKE IS IBO. grin

It is absolutely impossible for her children to become the Deji of akure,the said woman is on a regent (adele) the major reason why they picked a woman is because she can not become the Deji,so non of her igbo children can become the deji as she herself can not become the deji.The only woman that became an OBA in yorubaland was Luwo Gbedaji (i stand to be corrected) she is listed as one the people that ruled Ile-Ife.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Nigerians React To Oba Of Lagos Palace Fire Incident / Oba Ewuare Rides In His Rolls Royce For Thanksgiving. PICS / Anambra Masquerade Burnt to Death During Cultural Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.